Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Barb's Books & Chat

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6976-7000 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 11:03:52 AM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
J.T. Elison (a woman from somewhere in the greater Nashville area, Franklin, I think) was on a fine panel with Libby during the fall book festival a couple of years ago. She's good. I could even stand an (ugh!) serial killer of women book from her.

I ran across the listing on Daily Cheap Reads and following a couple of links found one I hadn't read yet.

Posted on May 24, 2012, 11:26:45 AM PDT
Thanks James. I will let u know what I think. I am going to try and move the roku to the living room o my step dad can watch too. He likes the Titanic too.

Another factoid, one of the deep sea organisms found on the wreck is being used to develop interesting new drugs. And the wreck is about to disintegrate completely. And Charles Pellegrino's new book, a continuation of is Titanic trilogy is pretty good.

Ok that is three factoids. Ill be quiet now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 3:04:46 PM PDT
Jacquie says:
James

I'm curious. Do you get PBS on Canadian stations or from the US? Do you have something equivalent in Canada? It seems from your notes that you watch mostly on PBS.

Posted on May 24, 2012, 4:10:16 PM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Book Talk:

Here's the books we have to choose from for our fiction book group. I've read FAITH, but that is all from this list. Any recommendations pass along. We get to choose 5. I'm leaning towards BUDDHA IN THE ATTIC, the Trolloppe book as I've never read one, THE HARE WITH AMBER EYES, THE NIGHT CIRCUS...hmm:

1. The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (2011, 175 pages). Tony Webster is in his mid-sixties, divorced, retired, and leading a comfortable life. When he is bequeathed a journal from his friend Adrian, who committed suicide at age 22, suppressed memories slowly surface. The New York Times called year's winner of the Man Booker Prize "a sort of psychological detective story."

2. The Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (2010, 352 pages ). This debut novel explores the emotional terrain of motherhood, loss, and belonging. Somer's life is everything she imagined --she's newly married and has started her career as a physician in San Francisco--until she learns she will never be able to have children. The same year in India, a poor mother opts to save her newborn daughter's life by giving her away. Asha, adopted out of a Mumbai orphanage, is the child that binds the destinies of these two women.

3. Faith by Jennifer Haigh (2011, 448 pages). In the spring of 2002, a perfect storm hits Boston when trusted priests are accused of the worst possible betrayal. A haunting meditation on loyalty, doubt and belief, Faith explores the fallout for one devout family.

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (2011, 400 pages). A mysterious nocturnal circus arrives unannounced in towns and cities all over the world. Le Cirque des Reves is truly a Circus of Dreams, but it is also a battleground for a deadly rivalry between two aging magicians and their talented protégés. This historical fantasy novel for adults conjures up an enchanted world you'll be reluctant to leave.

5. Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin (2011, 256 pages). This is a deeply moving story of a family's search for their mother, who goes missing one afternoon amid the crowds of the Seoul Station subway. Told through the alternating perspectives of a daughter, son, husband, and mother, it is a portrait of contemporary life in Korea and a universal story of family love. Kyung-Sook is a best-selling author in Korea.

6. The Cat's Table by Michal Ondaatje (2011, 281 pages). In 1950, an eleven-year-old boy boards an ocean liner in Sri Lanka bound for England. Michael and two boys he befriends onboard encounter an intriguing assortment of fellow travelers and adventures. Told in Ondaatje's lyrical prose, this is a novel about the magical discoveries of childhood that shape a life.

7. The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka (2011, 144 pages). This luminous novel is told in the collective voice of a group of women brought from Japan to San Francisco in the 1900s as mail-order brides. It is the winner of the Pen/Faulkner Award for 2012.

8. Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope (1857, approx. 350 pages). For all of this group's fans of 19th century literature, this is second and most popular of Trollope's six Barsetshire novels (this one works as a standalone). This moral comedy chronicles the struggles for power and position in an imaginary county in Victorian England where passions start seething when an "outsider," Dr. Proudie, is appointed bishop of Barchester.

9. The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal. (2010, 368 pages). When Edmund de Waal, a world-famous ceramist, inherited a collection of 264 tiny Japanese wood and ivory carvings, called netsuke, he wanted to know their history. In this moving memoir and detective story, de Waal discovers both the story of the netsuke and of his family, the Ephrussis, over five generations. A nineteenth-century banking dynasty in Paris and Vienna, the Ephrussis were as rich and respected as the Rothchilds. Yet by the end of the World War II, when the netsuke were hidden from the Nazis in Vienna, this collection of very small carvings was all that remained of their vast empire. (non-fiction)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 4:12:33 PM PDT
Jacquie:

We get PBS from the U.S. -- Buffalo or Detroit on our cable. Also CBS, NBC and ABC.

We have a similar service to PBS in Ontario called TVOntario which is publicly funded and carries no ads. The CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) is a national network funded by the federal government but carries ads also. There are two other private networks CTV and Global.

I do watch a lot of PBS and TVO -- superior programs without commercials. But I do watch some network TV for shows like Hawaii 5-O, CSI, Blue Bloods, Flashpoint and other such programs. We also get HBO Canada as part of our cable package. My wife loves Nurse Jackie on HBO. I recently watched Game of Thrones.

James

Posted on May 24, 2012, 4:27:26 PM PDT
Hey, everybody,

I noticed just now while looking around at what's on TV tonight, that it is the second of the two-part Season 1 finale of AWAKE. It's the show where Jason Isaacs plays the detective who's living in two different realities, one in which wife survived car wreck that killed son, the other where son survived and wife died. Did anyone ever get into it and watch most of the shows? Is it worth getting on Netflix?

I'm reading Audrey Peterson's DEATH IN WESSEX, the second in the series with Jane Winfield and Andrew Quentin. So far it's good. More anon.

Linda S.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 4:31:22 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Keefer
Re your library list

Love it when you post that list always an interesting read.

temperature dropping here down to 40F in the mornings I know that is nothing for all of you but we are in shock. rugging up and wearing ski jackets inside when we don't put the heating on.

Living by myself here the houses are often open plan so rooms are heated that don't need to be its so crazy. our electricity prices have skyrocketed and eveyone has cut back on their useage. the govt did a door knock a year ago giving every replacement low energy useage globes. They even installed them also. Great service. some people were hesitate to let the installers inside their home. they couldn't get the globes just handed over they had to be installed by the installers. The installers I think were ski lankian hadly any english I didn't hesitate and they were in and out so quickly. but begged off installing the outside back porch one because of the dogs.

Barb down Under

Posted on May 24, 2012, 4:56:16 PM PDT
Keefer - What an interesting list of books to choose from. Though all of them, with the exception of Barchester, sound a little sad.

Linda S - I watched a few episodes of AWAKE. I liked it, but I didn't pursue it and I am a huge fan of speculative and science fiction narrative. I am one of the few people who followed And I love intricate plots, but I found it a little difficult figuring out which of three realities I was in - son dead, wife dead, both dead, both alive - as there seemed to be elements of all of these and then I just learned that there was some conspiracy that put him in the wrong reality - that said, I might just go back to it and try again as it was intriguing and if we don't support interesting narrative on tv we won't get it.

Posted on May 24, 2012, 5:33:05 PM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Barb, Anastasia and all~

That was the ballot for the evening fiction discussion group which I go to 95% of the time. This is the morning book group's ballot which I occasionally go to if I really want to discuss the selection that month. Anastasia, yes, it seems most modern literary novels are sad/depressing which I think creates a sense of depth, conflict automatically and makes them contenders for literary awards. When have we seen an upbeat novel win a major literary award? Could Jane Austen win a literary award nowadays? I have a campaign to suggest positive, upbeat books to the book group which they will often select and enjoy. Here's the ballot for morning book group:

1. The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (2011; 160 pages). Tony Webster is in his mid-sixties,
divorced, retired and leading a comfortable life. When he is bequeathed a journal from his friend
Adrian, who committed suicide at age 22, suppressed memories slowly surface. The New York
Times called this year's winner of the Man Booker Prize "a sort of psychological detective story."

2. The Old Gringo by Carlos Fuentes (1985; 199 pages). The recently deceased Mexican writer
plots an imagined life of Ambrose Bierce, the American writer, soldier, and journalist, and
of his last mysterious days in Mexico living among Pancho Villa's soldiers.

3. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (1940; 350 pages). This debut novel by a
23-year-old Southern woman caused a literary sensation with its depiction of the loneliness and
isolation of residents of a small Georgia mill town in the 1930s.

4. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell (2010; 479 pages). An innovative
historical epic that uses diverse styles and multiple subplots to tell the tale of a clerk with the
Dutch East Indies Company in 1799 who becomes romantically involved with a forbidden
Japanese woman.

5. The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood (1935/1939; 200 pages). A pairing of two short
novels that report on life in Weimar Germany during the rise of the Nazis, introducing many of
the characters and themes familiar from the play and film of Cabaret, based on Isherwood's
work.

6. Any Human Heart: The Intimate Journals of Logan Mountstuart by William Boyd (2003; 498
pages). This novel in the form of a personal journal chronicles Logan Mountstuart's
eighty-five years of life, from his boyhood in Uruguay to his education at Oxford, his
wartime exploits, his career as an art dealer, and his retirement in France.

7. Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (1913, 550 pages). The first book in the author's innovative and
complex multi-volume autobiographical "remembrance" of bourgeois life in late 19
th century France. Madeleines will be served!

8. Stoner by John Williams (1965, app. 290 pages).William Stoner is the son of a dirt-poor farmer
who falls in love with English literature and becomes a professor at a Missouri college. Set in the
early 20 th century, this novel captures the professional and personal triumphs and disappointments
of an unassuming man committed to the life of the mind. The New York Times lauded it as "a
perfect novel, so well told and beautifully written, so deeply moving, it takes your breath away."

9. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (2009; 532 pages). Well-regarded for her thoughtful contemporary
and historical novels, the British author takes on Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell and Sir Thomas
More in this winner of the Man Booker and National Book Critics Circle awards. The first of a
projected trilogy, of which the 2nd volume has just been released.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012, 8:12:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012, 8:12:49 PM PDT
Linda S:

The wife and I started to watch Awake and saw the first three episodes but neither one of us could get into it. Too hard to follow with all the switching of realities. Although I do like Jason Isaacs as an actor. Anyway NBC has already cancelled it and it won't be back next year.

Did anyone catch the final episode of House? What did you think?

James

Posted on May 24, 2012, 11:53:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012, 12:06:35 AM PDT
I gave up on AWAKE after a couple of episodes when I found myself having to take notes to try to figure out what was going on. It didn't seem worth it, especially after it started going into the conspiracy theory aspects.

Finished my Midsomer film festival, part one, tonight.

MIDSOMER MURDERS, Set 13, was originally broadcast in 2007. It is available through Acorn Media in DVD format.

This series has remained strong through many years for several reasons. The continuing characters developed by Caroline Graham--DCI Tom Barnaby, his wife Joyce, and his daughter Cully--are warm, personable, very realistic and human, essential for the success of an ongoing series. The actors chosen to play them--John Nettles, Jane Wymark, and Laura Howard--match their characters and bring them to life in a way seldom seen in US television. The writing is consistently fine, with suitably convoluted plots in the cosy rather than noirish tradition. Midsomer rivals Morse's Oxford as the murder capitol of England. Guest stars throughout the series have been some of the best English actors, ably supported by outstanding casts.

"Dance with the Dead" involves two murders, one of Simon Bright, young lover of Laura the barmaid who has many irons in her fire, and of Tony Kirby, middle-aged Lothario who tries his hand with every female. Laura has been posing for naughty pictures for a retired photographer, helping herself to the till at the pub, working part-time at the kennel, rooming with a young widow and her daughter. Now she's disappeared. What happened to her, and who's killing her friends? The plot is least likely suspect with little to indicate the killer. Danny Webb plays the despicable Tony Kirby to perfection. 4/5 (B)

"The Animal Within" features the murder of Rex Masters, opening with the arrival of his niece Jenny from America, after Rex told everyone that she and her entire family had been killed in a plane crash. His will of four years before left his entire estate to her; then a second will turns up dated two months leaves everything to his cleaning lady Janie, who's been playing up to him sexually; a third will dated six months earlier leaves everything to the local doctor's wife, who cooked for Rex and also fancied him; a fourth will dated a year before leaves everything to his gardener. His latest will leaves everything to his female solicitor who posed for naughty photographs for Rex. He's used promises of legacies to keep from paying wages for their services. Rex is reputed to have raped Lucy Thacker who went on to become a famous missionary, whose son's biography proposes her for beatification. Who saw through Rex's games and offed him? Samuel West (William Elliot in PERSUASION, 1995) plays the obsessed son. 4.5/5 stars (A)

"King's Crystal" is a modern-day HAMLET scenario. Alan King is killed in China, apparently in an accident; his brother Charles King, who owns with him the glassworks King's Crystal, sells out the company, raids its pension and redundancy funds with the aid of accountant Peter Baxter, who winds up dead, and marries Alan's widow six months after his death. Alan's son Ian is unhappy at the marriage and determined to get to the bottom of his uncle's dealings. When Peter Baxter turns up murdered and Ian's death quickly follows, Barnaby has multiple motives and suspects including disgruntled workers, frustrated lovers of both sexes, and partners in crime, including the Freemasons. John Castle and Tony Haygarth star. 4.25/5 stars (A-)

"The Axeman Cometh" shows a new side to Tom Barnaby--devoted fan of the blues-rock band Hired Gun, coming together after thirty years to play the Midsomer Rock Festival. He quickly moves to copper when female lead singer Mimi is electrocuted in opening the show. The tension builds when Jack "the Axeman" McKinley's motorcycle is blown up, fortunately when he was not on it, and then drummer Nicky Harding is smothered and his car with him in it pushed into a swimming pool. Unanswered questions about the disappearance before of band member Ginger Foxton, about the disappearance of the royalties due the other band members, about a campaign of harassment against band lead and only affluent member of the group Gary Cooper, about the motives of a very Svengali houseman James Hobson and Serena the spying housekeeper add to the mystery. Guest stars include David Horovitch (Inspector Slack in the Joan Hickson MISS MARPLE series) and James Cosmo (Mr. Welton in EMMA, 1996).
4.25/5 stars (A-)

I am about halfway through Audrey Peterson's second book featuring Jane Winfield and Andrew Quentin, MURDER IN WESSEX. Interesting characters, good descriptions of setting, multiple motives, background in music and academics--what's not to like? More anon.

Linda S.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 3:36:23 AM PDT
good morning. it's race week here in Charlotte NC and I HATE TRAFFIC!!
Does anyone watch "the Killing" on AMC? I am craZy about this show. I have read all of Linwood Barclay's books. the latest was "The Accident" I don't know how he does it but his books keep getting better and better.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 7:08:36 AM PDT
Hi Mr. B:

Finally got to watch the Jesse Stone movie BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT which I had PVRd when SHERLOCK was on. Really enjoyed it! Tom Selleck is excellent as Jesse. I'm not that familiar with the books, only read one or two, but it seemed fairly complex plot. Liked the ending. Well done.

James

Posted on May 25, 2012, 7:59:21 AM PDT
Keefer - I've read Wolf Hall, Swann's Way, Any Human Heart (and have the BBC adaptation on my netflix list) and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - all good. Your library book groups are much more literary than we here at the BBC arent they?

Was this the last episode of the season for House or the series ender? I bogged down in House this season.

Ooops - I thought you liked AWAKE Linda. Based on that and on the reviews here on amazon, I bought a few more episdoes thinking I had missed something. Oh well, they will do as fodder while I knit, embroider or bead but I generally like things that require less attention while I do these things.

I am trying to decide whether or not to check out the local sci-fi con. The panels for today and tomorrow are only mildly interesting but I have missed this every year so far due to health. And honestly I feel like today it is more I feel like I should go rather than I want to go. I would rather stay home and actually write as opposed to go and learn more about YA trends and market in sci-fi. And I have the possibility of having the entire house to myself today. What do you think gang - convention or actual creative production? I can always go tomorrow if I get a wild hair.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 8:16:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012, 8:17:49 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Anastasia, Barb and all:

I'd stay home and enjoy the possibly empty house and write--if you get cabin fever you can go tomorrow. But if you feel like writing today, and that's where your heart is, just do it. Don't push yourself.

Yes, the librarian likes to have us read literary books--that's why I enjoy BBC as we read lighter fare. Good to have variety. You should have seen the librarian's face when I mentioned that we could read THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA--that was the first indication that my reading taste wasn't elevated enough. Of course our non-fiction group reads really heavy stuff like history of the 14th century. Our mystery book group at the library is more like BBC--in fact, I have recommended books to them we read here like GENTLEMEN AND STRANGERS and they love the books.

Anyone got good books for the weekend? I have to pick up HOLLYWOOD STATION from the library. And after watching THE SOCIAL NETWORK, ordered The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World. Also ordered via library The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 11:00:47 AM PDT
L. M. Keefer says:
Linda S and James, Mr. B and all:

Linda: Having to take notes on a TV program is too much work, don't you think? I don't mind taking notes on a good book, but TV is for relaxing when it's fiction. If it's a documentary, that's different.

My issue with AWAKE was I don't like plots that involve death of immediate family of the protagonist: spouse and child. That hits too close too home if we're empathic. Now, in a movie like THE FUGITIVE, in which the spouse gets killed and it's a one-time event, you didn't know her as a character, easier to handle. But this show seemed to bring it up all the time--especially the kid bothered me. As a teacher you feel the same way, right? Leave the kids alone. Don't kill the kids--unless it's the class bully or the one who talks back to you in class.

No, seriously, that continual not knowing if the family were dead or not was just too much, Jackson Brodie actor notwithstanding. I hope they give him another series but I think the problem with this show was the premise.

James, Mr. B and fellow Stone lovers: when you all mentioned this series Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt I found Netflix streams it. Amazon movies may do it, too. Just connected Amazon movies on my son's playstation which is connected to the TV and streams Netflix for us. So, have two sources for streaming now which is fun and helps the treadmill travails. May stream the second season of Downton Abbey for my son when he's here again. I think it's $1.99 a show.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 11:11:00 AM PDT
Keefer:

We just felt AWAKE required too much attention to keep things straight. Obviously others did too. NBC cancelled it after only a few shows.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 12:49:34 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
James,

Didn't know the series is based on a (series?) of books. I started watching last summer and like you I find Sellick just right, and as I also mention, I thought that he's better in this small role where its him and an a couple of friends in a small town. Blue Blood just seems too cluttered for him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 12:55:02 PM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
Keefer, ana, barb and more,

Just finished THE SIRENS OF TITAN by Kurt Vonnegut The Sirens of Titan: A Novel and am now charging ahead in MARCH by Geraldine BrooksMarch

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012, 4:21:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012, 4:21:58 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
dusty

Welcome
Just read your review on
Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller by Ben Tripp

who sprung you reading at work? Hopefully not the boss.

Keefer, Linda Marie, amanda Peck, anastasia, Rosemarie, jacquie, Mr B, James and all

I remember many years ago I worked as the girl friday for a concrete pumping company one girl office and a revolting boss. I wasn't always busy so I could sit and read. but at morning tea time he wanted me to go into his office and sit and he would tell me all about his lawn bowls comp on the weekend. I just wanted to go back to my desk and not have to listen to his waffle. 3 months later he cornered me in the filing room and tried to kiss me it was horrible the pig. I was 19 he was 40ish with a big fat belly pressing against me.

My father has a factory near by. I rang him that night really upset and told him he said he would call in the next day. I said but I can't afford to get fired. He said that won't happen trust him.

I was a mess waiting for my dad to turn up at the office door.
He arrived and said Hello barbara.
My boss was up and out of his office quickly as we never had uninvited people through the door as it was out of the way. My father said Hello Mr Mills My name is Don Stanton I am Barbara's father. I just called in to see where she worked and Barbara has said how happy she is here. So thought I would just call in and introduce myself to you. Well have a good day. Dad left.

The boss never came near me again
I started job hunting instantly. Found another and gave him 2 weeks notice he was in shock and then after 2 days told me I could go at the end of the week.
thank heavens things are different now. we can have them charged to workplace sexual harrassment!!!!!

Barb down Under

Posted on May 25, 2012, 6:39:36 PM PDT
Hi, Barb Down Under and everyone,

Dusty, welcome to the BBC. We are a very diverse group, and we read and discuss most any category of book, not just mysteries. We are beginning a discussion of Joseph Wambaugh's HOLLYWOOD STATION on a dedicated threat here on the Mystery Forum on June 1. We'd love to have you participate in that, if you're interested. Anyway, glad to have you with us.

It's always fun to find a good new author (though her books are 1990s, she's new to me)--Audrey Peterson. She has two series, both of which are solid.

Audrey Peterson's DEATH IN WESSEX is the second in her mystery series featuring doctoral candidate in music history Jane Winfield and her dissertation director Professor Andrew Quentin. Both are in Dorset, Thomas Hardy country, Jane researching her "English Chopin" who'd lived nearby and Andrew visiting an old friend, Sir Charles Braden, seventh Baronet and owner of Braden Beck, a minor country house.

Jane and Andrew are drawn into the social life of the community and into the preparations for the church fete. When Braden's 15-year-old daughter finds a man's body in her secluded dell, the police find it a suicide unconnected to anyone in the village; then two Londoners who appear to be thugs show up in the village, asking questions about Smith and casing Braden Beck. Tension in the village is already swirling, thanks to the activities of Stacy Farnham, a femme fatale who tries it on with every male she meets. When she's killed by blunt force trauma following the fete, suspects abound: her cuckold husband Clement Farnham; her mother-in-law Lady Viola who knows all about her affairs; Clement's cousin Tammy, whose almost-fiance Stacy stole; 14-year-old Bobo Braden, deep in the throes of first love for Stacy; her latest conquest Will Deavers; Charles Braden, who'd had a brief fling with her; Nan Braden, so concerned with her status as Charles's wife; religious fanatic Jebediah Alcott, the local chemist who's being blackmailed. As the investigation continues, a connection between Stacy, the two Londoners, and George Smith shows up. What was Stacy up to, and who stopped her?

The plot is fairly set out with appropriate foreshadowing, enough that what may have been meant as a surprise ending isn't much of one. The motivation for the crime has been often used. What is best about this series is the skill with which Peterson develops her characters. I like it that Jane and Andrew are not involved romantically but can still work together to solve a crime. Both are mature adults with similar interests in music history but otherwise distinct personalities; both have interesting back stories, and both act reasonably in conjunction with the police, not grandstanding on their own. Other characters, including the teenagers, are realistic and individual. Lyrical descriptions of the Dorset countryside, memorialized in Hardy's work as Wessex, create a genuine sense of place. This is a good book in what appears to be a strong series. 4.25/5 stars (A-)

Part of my weekend will be continuing my MIDSOMER MURDERS film festival, this time with Series 14 (2008).

Linda S.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 7:17:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012, 7:20:22 PM PDT
Barbara Lane says:
Titanic

Sat and talked to my friend who is the titanic buff

1. The steerage passengers (3rd class) only had 2 bathrooms between them all to use.

2. 3 million rivets to build it.
Steel above the water line
Cast line below the water line

3. Lightoller was blown out of the funnell in an explosion (or he would have goone down with the ship)

4. Lightoller saved 139 people WWII at dunkirk

5. there no names on the ships bell (bad omen)

6. no ship was ever christened with champagne from Harland & Wolfe ship yards, (bad omen)

7. best movie of titanic NIGHT TO REMEMBER Keith Moore version

8. there were 100 version of titanic in movie form the first one 1977 the russian was the first (silent movie)

9. the fourth funnell was a dumby the ship loooked uneven with 3 so they put a 4th dumby funnel on

10 lightoller 1st officer he went to his grave with a secret.

"told by Bruce Ismay. Bruce told Lightoller to lie at 2 inquests because the helmsmen (hicks) made a mistake and actually turned the ship the wrong direction heading towards the iceberg. Because they used a british invention called a telemotto steering. when you spin the wheel one direction the rudder turns the opposite way. by the time he figured it out it was too late.

He would have been beter to hit the iceberg front on. Because the water tight doors would have sealed the way they were supposed to.

bruce ismay told his wife only on his death bed. his wife only told her daughter on her death bed. The daughter only told when more people had already died of old age that survived the sinking. . the reason for the secret was the insurance company would not have paid up if it have told told the helmsman had steered it the wrong way.

11. Most of the people who jumped off the side of the ship died of a broken neck on impact.

the lightjackets were to keep you afloat they were made of cork. 3 packs of it on the front and 3 on the back. the same pattern was remade years later and even jumping off the edge of a swimming into the water would cause such a whack in the chin and back of skull to cause bruising so off the side of the titanic no wonder they broke their necks. (that was not shown in the movie.

12. One catering man drank a full bottle of scotch and he survived in the water for 45 minutes (he was pulled onto a boat) other people only survived 5 to 10 minutes in the freezing water. but because of the alcohol it worked like an anti freeze in his system.

Barb down Under

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012, 4:18:08 AM PDT
Barb:

Thanks. Very interesting stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012, 9:24:21 AM PDT
M. Bernstein says:
BdU,

Great story, barb

Posted on May 26, 2012, 9:43:34 AM PDT
Another oops moment on the Titanic - not only would they have been better off hitting the iceberg head on, but if they had kept the water tight doors OPEN the ship would have sunk at an even and slower rate and would probably have been afloat when the Carpathia arrived. There was another ship only ten miles away that night - The Californian and the captain ignored the distress rockets and the wireless was turned off at midnight.

I started the Titanic mini-series yesterday. I am only meh with it. I think it falls into the great idea, medium execution range. A series that was an antidote to the romance and adventure of the 1997 Cameron production would have been wonderful - this just isn't it for me. I am finding the characters very stereotypical. I will finish watching it but give it an overall medium vote.

I think I am going to treat myself to the Delicate Dependency in books today. I am working on completing my first piece of bead embroidery jewelry and I am thrilled with the results. An Edwardian style necklace with vintage glass opal cabochons. I am also making Spanakopita for dinner as soon as I get an approval from mom. And I plan to chip away at my list over the weekend. I decided to give the convention a pass as this weekend it really does feel like I should go rather than I want to go. I am very happy reading and writing and puttering and cooking and crafting.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 17, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers