Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

looking for books that are laugh out loud funny

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 579 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 27, 2010, 4:29:18 AM PDT
Araminta says:
Janet Evanovich, Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series, Jennifer Weiner are all good. Have just discovered a new author Sibel Hodge who is very similar to Janet Evanovich.

Posted on May 28, 2010, 3:07:31 AM PDT
Willliam says:
I just added this info in the new author's forum. Parable of the Forgotten is a new mystery by an aussie journo, simon fenn. LOL funny and a great mystery with lots of twists. really intelligent dark humour; but don't buy it if you're put off by heavy language. There's reviews on the website; www.parableoftheforgotten.com

Posted on Aug 16, 2010, 8:09:05 AM PDT
Don't know if you are still looking for a "laugh out loud" book, but if you can find Charlotte MacLeod's old book "Curse of the Giant Hogweed", you'll get your wish. I got so tickled reading this book I could hardly see to finish it.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010, 5:10:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2010, 6:04:30 PM PDT
Simon Fenn says:
If you don't laugh during the trailer, you won't like the book.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQILeMfpJU

Kindle: Parable of the Forgotten - An Unsuitable Mystery (20 reviews)

Paperback: Parable of the Forgotten: An Unsuitable Mystery

"I laughed at something he said on almost every page."

"I loved the dark humor."

"It's very clever and funny."

"Funny, deep and touching."

"..had me laughing out loud many times."

"I found myself laughing and cringing simultaneously"

"I don't know who first said "there is a thin line between comedy and tragedy." Regardless of who first recognized this truth, author Simon Fenn deftly walks that imaginary line for most of "Parable of the Forgotten: An Unsuitable Mystery". At times I'd find myself laughing out loud. (At least twice in as many minutes over a Ken doll; Who would have guessed that comedic well wasn't long dry.) Then I'd be on edge, pulling for Jarvis, the protagonist of "Parable," to continue stumbling through the life he was obviously ill-equipped to handle."

"If you're looking for a "cookie-cutter" girl dies, boy tries to solve murder mystery, this book is not for you. If, however, you want to read something ...um...'different' that will make you say "I laughed so hard my skin freaked out and nearly jumped off my bones" this book should be right up your e-reader alley."

"I laughed at something on almost every page as Jarvis is on his journey to solve the mystery of his brother's and his friend, Lady's, murders."

Posted on Aug 17, 2010, 4:07:07 PM PDT
I would like to summit for your approval, one of the funniest books, as well as flat out, one of the best, The Milagro Beanfield War, by John Nichols. I can also recommend Westlake and Christopher Buckley as well as The Gold Coast and Gatehouse by Nelson DeMille.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010, 4:10:40 PM PDT
Nancy Smith says:
Just finished Carl Hiassen's latest Star Island . I laughed thru the entire book His characters are so zany and easy to picture in your mind you cannot help but laugh

Posted on Aug 17, 2010, 4:33:39 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Has anyone (I might have) recommended Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' Bill Slider mysteries?

All of them have their moments, but the first one is on my re-read occasionally list. ORCHESTRATED DEATH.

It may help if you know ALICE IN WONDERLAND/THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS. But I don't. And still laugh through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010, 4:50:58 PM PDT
Janice says:
I am reading a book I bought at a little country store. I cannot put it down it is so witty and yes it made me laugh out loud. My husband ask me what is wrong with you-- I simply replied this book is so funny. The title is The Girl of His Dreams. I have laughed at the way the writer wrote the book to make us readers laugh and enjoy a remarkable book. The author is Thomas Y. Crowell. I found out he has a list of books such as I Love You Stupid! at least 10 more books by this author. I have not looked him up on Amazon or any other place. I was looking for books to read until I buy a book next month from Amazon.
Believe me I wish I could mail it to you after I finish it tonight...let me know and I will do that...
Have a blessed evening.
Jan

Posted on Aug 17, 2010, 5:46:32 PM PDT
LPBeethe says:
Kristin Hannah's ONCE IN EVERY LIFE.

This book had me rolling on the floor in so many places!!!!!!! It's a time travel where the heroine dies and is sent into another body 100 years in the past. Her responses to living without modern conveniences and trying to convince her ready-made family she is who they think she is without giving up her cover is hilarious.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010, 6:12:06 PM PDT
Bonner '62 says:
Captains Outrageous and Vanilla Ride by Joe R. Lansdale are part of a good series. Readable books with some humor in them are few and far between these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010, 11:06:28 AM PDT
Hello, my name is Penny Langstaff. I'm trying to help my mom get the word out about her new mystery series. The title is Marlin, Darlin: Garnet Sullivan Live from Florida #1. The publisher is Cedar Hill Press. The reviews are awesome! It's a lol hoot! It's only 99 cents till it catches on! Please check it out! Marlin, Darlin': Garnet Sullivan Live from Florida Thank you very much!
PS this is from one of the reviews "Her descriptions of life on the Florida coast are spot-on, and could only have been written by someone who has sunk their toes in the warm sand and foamy ebb tide, and picked sea oats off their clothing. A wonderful book for an afternoon on the beach, or a rainy night, it fills your mind with the sound of waves on the beach. I truly enjoy a book that makes me laugh out loud, and not since Janet Evanovich, has anyone done that for me. Bravo Margaret Langstaff! A thrilling mystery with fantastic characters, with an ending that is totally unexpected; it leaves you looking for the next page, not because it was not finished, but because you are not willing to close the book on Garnet Sullivan's life!" THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Posted on Aug 21, 2010, 6:17:49 PM PDT
Amanda Peck says:
Joseph Teller's four Jaywalker books definitely have their laughs. Sometimes even out loud.

Interspersed with engrossing pages on the history of the "depraved indifference" charge (in the third book). Odd combination, but it works for me.

I think the first--THE TENTH CASE is the best of the lot, although I haven't reread it in a while. Best, I think, read in order.

I plug these all the time. If it's the second or third time here, sorry.

Posted on Aug 21, 2010, 7:16:47 PM PDT
A. Roberts says:
I didn't see Marshall Karp mentioned but didn't read all the comments. I don't especially care for slapstick humor but if you like a good mystery with some really fun humor, thrown in try Marshall Karp's Lomax and Biggs series. He's fairly new as his 4th was just released this summer. He's on my Face Book and his daily blogs are hillarious!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010, 7:21:54 PM PDT
Janice says:
Sounds like something I need to read right now! We need some humor and something to make us laugh sometimes...thanks for the post and glad I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010, 7:36:10 PM PDT
A. Roberts says:
Janice if you read Mr. Karps make sure you start with his first one "The Rabbit Factory" to get to know the characters. Mr. Karp was a playwright and Screenwriter and has written and produced several TV shows before venturing into writing a series of books. I have really enjoyed his humor.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010, 11:57:51 AM PDT
Linda More says:
Have you tried Lisa Lutz? She has created this wonderfully funny family with lots of quirky characters. First book in the series is The Spellman files. Then Curse of the Spellmans, Revenge of the Spellmans and this year, The Spellmans strike again. The family runs a detective agency and I think these are as laugh out loud funny as the Stephanie Plum books. Hope you try them!

Posted on Aug 25, 2010, 12:08:32 PM PDT
E.M. Muller says:
Wanda
Two different review sites have called my novella, Confessions of a Liberal Lover, laugh out loud funny. There's an excerpt and trailer published on my website at http://EMMuller.com. Also one of the reviews is posted on the Amazon.com buy page for the Kindle version of the book. It's light women's fiction (Chick-lit) with a dash of politics thrown in just for laughs. Here's a blurb about the book so you can tell if it's something you might like.

Confessions of a Liberal Lover is a quirky modern day fairy tale about Maud, a woman who believes that the secret to happiness lies in finding a virile, incredibly handsome man just like the ones she has read about in her beloved historical romance novels. Complicating her search is the emotional baggage she carries from a less than perfect relationship with her father, a nearly perfect older sister, her decidedly liberal political views and the fact her most trusted friend and advisor is a talking statue of a gargoyle. Maud's sexual encounters not only add spice, but help define the personalities of each of her lovers and the terms of her relationship with them. How important are politics when it comes to love? Why not tag along with Maud and her friend the gargoyle and find out?

Confessions of a Liberal Lover

Posted on Aug 25, 2010, 1:13:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 29, 2011, 10:10:43 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 4, 2010, 1:37:41 PM PDT
Sheila says:
The first time I read your post, I backed away. Laugh out loud can be difficult. I've since been told by more than one reader that my books qualify for laugh out loud funny, so ....

I now have two novels available.

Hot Tea (The Tea Series) and Sweet Tea (The Tea Series).

I hope that you will take a few minutes to read the samples, and that you enjoy what you read.

Thanks,

Sheila

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010, 2:06:11 PM PDT
Oh, I so agree with you re: Janet Evanovich. My husband can always tell when I'm reading one of her books, due to my uncontrollable laughter and he'll say "Oh, so Janet is here tonight"
I met her...neat lady
G

Posted on Sep 4, 2010, 2:19:15 PM PDT
E. Crowley says:
Lenny Kleinfeld's SHOOTERS AND CHASERS has to be the funniest book I have read. It is a police procedural that is laugh out loud funny to say the least. I posted the following review on my blog yesterday (www.murderbytype.wordpress.com). It is written by Leighton Gage, author of the Mario Silva police procedurals set in Brazil. Leighton wrote it for the Sisters in Crime blog.

I wrote;

SHOOTERS AND CHASERS may be the funniest book I have read. It certainly is the funniest police procedural about murder that I have read.

Leighton Gage is certainly one of the best authors I have read. The books of the Inspector Mario Silva series, BLOOD OF THE WICKED, BURIED STRANGERS, and DYING GASP, belong on everyone's "must read list". Happily, the fourth book in the series, EVERY BITTER THING, will be available in early December.

Leighton is one of those rare, generous people who believes that when he recognizes talent, he should do what he can to bring that talent to the attention of the reading world. For Sisters in Crime Leighton has written a wonderful explanation of why SHOOTERS AND CHASERS belongs on everyone's night table. Having read the book, and laughed my way through it, I concur absolutely.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010
One of the Best Books You Never Read
by Leighton Gage

As people with experience of the entertainment industry will tell you, there is no truth in the adage a star is born. Stars aren't born; they're made. They're constructed, role by role, sound bite by sound bite, press release by press release. The more famous an actor becomes, the more press coverage (and the more plum roles) he or she is likely to get.

Talent, contrary to popular belief, has little to do with stardom. Many unknown actors have talent, while many famous stars, particularly movie stars, have none at all.

It's much the same with writers.

Take the case of Lenny Kleinfeld.

Lenny who?

Yeah, that's exactly my point.

Lenny isn't new to writing. He's done plays and screenplays. He was a columnist for Chicago magazine. His articles have appeared in Playboy, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times. And, a while back, he sat down and wrote a mystery novel, Shooters and Chasers.

The book is chock-full of witty one-liners, terrific dialogue and memorable characters. Lenny told a cracking good story and told it superbly well. It's the kind of book any writer would be proud of.

His struggle to publication was the usual path-of-thorns. Rejection followed rejection. At long last, the happy day arrived. He got picked up by Five Star. Kirkus praised his work (spellbinding...wit, style, suspense plus all the authenticity of an Ed McBain procedural. Lose yourself in it.) and awarded him a star. The book went on to sell...wait for it...1,377 copies.

Yes, I'll be happy to repeat that number.

One-thousand-three-hundred-and-seventy-seven, one of which was mine.

I have never met Lenny Kleinfeld face-to-face.

I hope to, someday, but he and I live on the opposite sides of the world.

When I read Shooters and Chasers, I thought it was so darned good that I wrote to say so. I did more. I shared my opinion all over the internet, as I'm sharing it with you now.

Lenny wrote back to thank me, which is how I found out about the 1,377 copies.

That kind of success, or rather the lack of it, is enough to make a grown man cry. As a matter of fact, two of them did when they heard about it.

Lenny and myself.

Undaunted, Lenny dried his tears and got to work on his second.

Which is as it should be. It's the profession we've chosen, and it isn't for wimps.

But, if you're a reader do yourself a favor: try to score one of the few copies of Shooters and Chasers, most of which are in libraries.

But, if you're an aspiring writer as well, take heed from the example of Lenny Kleinfeld: the fact that people aren't buying your books doesn't mean they aren't good.
------------
Lenny Kleinfeld was born in Brooklyn, became a writer in Chicago, and is now 24 years into a business trip to Los Angeles. In 2009 he became a first-time novelist, which in Southern California means: Screenwriter over 50.

Leighton Gage lives and writes in Brazil. Every Bitter Thing, his next book in the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series, launches in December.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010, 3:09:15 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
Nancy,
I just finished Star Island as well. Loved it. Loved everything I've read by Carl Hiassen so far. I get the feeling that "Skink" is Hiassen's alter ego. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010, 8:08:42 PM PDT
Nancy Smith says:
I think so too. I always look forward to his books they are always full of laughs

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010, 8:12:09 PM PDT
S. Eastman says:
Try the Myron Bolitar Series

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010, 8:12:21 PM PDT
Nancy Smith says:
love Stephanie Plum and am looking forward to the new Diesel series coming next week was disappointed with the new Alex Barnaby book because it was done in comic book format. I sent all four copies back to Amazon hopefully Diesel will be full of laughs
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  257
Total posts:  579
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers