Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Looking for new Mystery book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 409 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011, 8:27:03 PM PDT
Andrew says:
I need some help finding a good mystery novel/ series. I just finished the game L.A. Noire, and I want something similar to that. By that I mean I want a book with a moral protagonist (not the sticking someone's hand down garbage disposal type). I'd prefer a Cop story, but I like PI stories too. I'm open for novels set in any post WWII era. I AM looking for something that has been written rather recently, because I want a new author to follow. I know I'm being kind of picky, but I'd really appreciate suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011, 10:57:28 PM PDT
SandyCB says:
The best series I have found in years is Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series. He is a French Canadian policeman, and many of the mysteries take place in a quirky Canadian town that reminds me vaguely of a French Canadian Cicely. Alaska (town in the t.v. series Northern Exposure). Two more classic series that fit your criteria and are still being published are J.A. Jance's J.P. Beaumont series (Until Proven Guilty is the first book) and Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch (The Black Echo starts the series). Beau Beaumont is a cop in Seattle, and Harry is a member of the LAPD. Both series are well worth the read. Enjoy!

Posted on May 23, 2011, 11:22:37 PM PDT
I just finished reading Nick Aldo Mysteries (Escaping The Rain) it was decent, but it was a quick read. May hold your attention for a brief moment until you find something else. I've never read L.A. Noire, is that writer any good? I'm looking for someone new as well. Thanks.

Posted on May 24, 2011, 1:09:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 7, 2011, 8:26:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011, 6:08:28 PM PDT
Kathy S. says:
You can't go wrong with the books of Louise Penny and Michael Connelly--excellent!

Posted on May 24, 2011, 8:18:15 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! dare2read, L.A. Noire is a recently released video game, in which the player is a detective and must solve mysteries in a circa 1947 L.A setting.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 10:28:54 AM PDT
Try Pete Hautman. Before he won the National Book Award for young adult fiction (See Godless)
he wrote a mystery series featuring Joe Crow, a former cocaine addict. See THE MORTAL NUTS, SHORT MONEY etc. He's also very funny; THE MORTAL NUTS is set at the Minnesota state fair.

Dave Schwinghammer's novel, SOLDIER'S GAP, is available at Amazon.com, new and used.

Posted on May 25, 2011, 11:32:15 AM PDT
I couldn't let this pass without mentioning......John Connolly (nobody writes better,jmo)...start with the first book...Every Dead Thing...you'll be hooked!

Posted on May 25, 2011, 11:56:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2015, 7:31:59 PM PST]

Posted on May 25, 2011, 3:44:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 10, 2011, 10:48:28 AM PDT]

Posted on May 25, 2011, 4:14:13 PM PDT
Hersheygirl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011, 6:18:54 PM PDT
moviequeen says:
You should read "VINTAGE CONNOR: The Blonde in the Lotus Elite" by Robert Baty.
He is a new author and you will love this book.

Posted on May 31, 2011, 7:32:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2011, 12:15:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 1, 2011, 9:16:27 AM PDT
Alaska's says:
Two things you can try to find new authors: Amazon search for "private detective series" and it should give you several to peruse. The other thing may sound strange, but I do it all the time: I like to travel with my mysteries/thrillers to certain locales. So, I search for "Mysteries and Thrillers" in xxxx area, state, city.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011, 10:16:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 6, 2011, 5:28:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 1, 2011, 8:41:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2011, 6:25:02 AM PDT
B. Fern says:
Someone recomended A Single Deadly Truth by F. Cook. The recomendation is a good one!
Brad Fern, author of The Immaculata, a Mystery

Posted on Jun 2, 2011, 3:25:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 6, 2011, 5:22:31 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2011, 9:43:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 6, 2011, 1:16:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2011, 8:40:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011, 2:50:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 5, 2011, 6:30:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2011, 6:51:30 PM PDT
Wow...I cannot believe how many self promos are posted here.

Dear Authors:
In case you weren't aware, Amazon announced several weeks ago that they're taking a stronger stance against self promotions outside of the "Meet the Authors" forum. And to prove that they are serious, they have deleted a number of posts that violated this policy.

Please be respectful of Amazon and their rules by NOT posting self promos in this forum. For those of you who don't have the MTA forum already bookmarked, you can just click on the link at the bottom under "Most Active Community Forums". On the MTA forum, you are allowed to self promote to your hearts content.

Thanks.

ETA

Posted on Jun 5, 2011, 6:40:14 PM PDT
Andrew says:
I agree, no self promoting, guys.

On another note, a friend of mine recommended John Sandford's Prey series. Is it any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2011, 6:49:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2011, 6:50:19 PM PDT
@Andrew -

I LOVE John Sandford's Prey series. I've read every one of them that's been released in paperback. The stories are very exciting and well written.

However...you mentioned in your OP that were looking for a book with a high moral protagonist, and I'm not sure if this would "pass" your requirement. Lucas Davenport (the protagonist in the Prey series) is a seasoned detective, and, on occasion, he does have to do something that is considered "grey". It's not often, but he's the type that gets the bad guys at the end to save the world. Also I'm not sure how you feel about occasional graphic contents. I'm pretty squeamish and I'm okay so.... Anyway, you may want to sample it before you buy it if you can. I hope this helps. :)

Posted on Jun 5, 2011, 6:57:20 PM PDT
@Andrew -

You may want to look into David Baldacci's books. I really enjoy his books -- very exciting, fast paced, and very well written.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011, 9:51:36 PM PDT
Patti says:
A good series to read are the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. Just finished reading "Running Blind". It has a twist of an ending. Jack is exservice man who likes to travel with no luggage, little money and a toothbrush. Whever he wanders he always ends up solving/helping someones mystery. Lee Child is an excellent author and I love his Jack Reacher books and you will too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011, 5:59:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 7, 2011, 8:24:57 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  168
Total posts:  409
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers