Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Negative Scanner forum

older negatives

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2008, 7:43:18 PM PDT
I have inherited a bunch of negatives-both color and b&w-and I would like to be able to get many of them printed. They are not 35mm. I remember my late husband saying they had a Kodak brownie camera, so they may be from that, I don't know. The scanners that I see seem to say 35mm negatives. Are there any that will alos do the old stuff? Thanks.
Judi in IL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2008, 7:16:01 PM PDT
I, too, have old negatives I would like to scan - I don't know exactly what's there so I'm hesitant to print them all up - have you gotten any leads?
I've an epson cx7800 that's pretty good at scanning 35 mm but no help with this...
Terry Blessington

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008, 9:20:48 AM PST
L. Mays says:
I found a website that is scanmyphotos.com that does some of the older stuff but I found some negatives from an old disk camera....I don't think i will be able to do anything with those :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008, 9:42:57 AM PST
i too have negatives that i would like to print or put on a dvd...any suggestions would be great

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008, 12:21:17 PM PST
Canon, Epson and Nikon make scanners for large negatives including old Brownie (120). Ordering the correct model is important, make sure scanner has ICE or FARE and will handel 120 roll film. Email me for model suggestions......... We make custom film adapters for most film sizes........... We scan almost any size film.... filmscan@ez-hauler.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008, 12:16:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2008, 12:46:01 AM PST
Dono says:
D. Barkelew has a good suggestion on makes. I've been looking into the Epison line as it was highly reccomended by the good folks on Farktography.com. The Canon and HP makes were razzed and complained about because of poor quality, slow burns and very difficult set ups. The Epson models I've been perusing are the v4490 and v500. Both handle medium format to 35 mil negs and film as well as slides.

The 120 medium format is a square image that measures 2 and 1/4 inches or 120 mills. These models seem to take batches of 35 and slides on a flat bed. The 120m seems to be a single shot at a time, so I'll be doing contact proofs. I've already placed my shots, years back, in clear soft plastic 8 x 11 sheet protectors and will start there with a rough 1600 dpi scan to look the things over.

I've written to Epson to inquire the exact neg sizes it takes. The specs mention their med format is something called 6 x 12 cm. But, the folks at Farktography say they used theirs for 120 x 120 mm or 12 x 12 cm. WTH is 6 x 12 cm?

The Epsons come with digital ICE a dust and scratch removal software and PhotoShop Elements to flip the negs to positives and do some limited image editing. For under 200 bucks, I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go.

The Nikon scanners are new to me as a suggestion. D. B., what did you like about them?

D. B., I'll definately wish to pick your brains on multiple medium format frame holders. Also, I might need a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 frame holder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008, 9:07:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2008, 9:34:39 AM PST
Nikon scanners are by far the best in every respect if price is no object. 35mm Nikon start at about 500.00. Medium format, 120 Nikon scanner run about 2200.00.

I would give no weight to OEM software. The free scanning software (CanoScan, EpsonScan, NikonScan) is all second rate at best. Spend the 40.00 for ViewScan software.

Digital ICE & dust problem: Most scanners do not have a Infrared light channel in addition to the standard RGB light source. Infrared light is used by Digital ICE and FARE to identify and remove dust and scratches from image.

Canon: I would consider only the models that list "FARE" ( Canon branded Infrared Cleaning ). Canon scan software is ultra simple to use, however almost useless for advanced users. Epson software is only slightly better. Of the current models I believe only the 8800F has Infrared (FARE) lamp.

Epson: On the low end the v500 and 4990 do have Infrared Lamp for digital ICE, however the film holders are poor, with no way of adjusting or fine tuning focus.

Epson v700 & v750 have Infrared lamp for Digital ICE and arguably the best film holders of any flatbed scanner.

Most flatbed scanners place the focus point at the surface of the scanner glass. Film must be held up off the glass surface in order to prevent "Newton Rings" in the scan image. The film height above the glass is critical to image focus and sharpness.

Epson v700 &v750 places the film focus point about 3mm above the glass. The v700 &v750 film holders will adjust up or down to fine tune film focus point.

We build and sell scanner film holders, and have tested the focusing point of most scanners. The only flatbed that we have achieved near perfect focus point is the Epson v700 &v750. All other brands and models will be slightly off focus (soft).

Nikon film scanners have a built in autofocus, every image is always sharp.

Negative size: 120 is a roll film 60mm (6cm) wide or about 2.25 inches. Common frame size is 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9.

Epson v500 & 4490, 120 film holder is 60mm x 120mm. It will hold for example two frames of 6x6 or one frame of 6x9.

Epson v700 &v750, 120 film holder is a double row. It has two 60mm x 200mm. It will hold eight frames of 6x4.5, or six frames of 6x6, or four frames of 6x9.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008, 12:54:22 PM PST
Dono says:
D. Barklew, said..
Negative size: 120 is a roll film 60mm (6cm) wide or about 2.25 inches.

I said.. Whaaa? I checked and thought "Wow, even old dogs might still learn a new trick. He's right!"
So, now I have no idea why film is called 120. It's 60 mill!

After reading the info on the scanners listed above, I'm going back to pricing the V700 Epsilon.
(and keeping D. B.'s email addy) And just starting my look at ViewScan software, still unsure what it is.

Heck, if I've spent the time to get my shots just right, set my camera for the 'depth of field' for where I want my focus, I surely don't need the scanner to be limited (to only soft) in it's capabilities.

I'm very pleased to have found this forum and this much unbiased information.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008, 2:08:59 PM PST
Athena says:
Hello all of you and your odd size negatives.
I've been corresponing in a brief discussion about the Epson V500 and what large format means. I have about 50-100 each of 6 different non 35mm size negatives (yes, from family ancestors). They include 15mm x 20mm (but are not small movie frames), 45 x 45, 45 x 60, 110 x 70, 60 x 80, and 60mm x 60mm. I was hoping that the large format frame would be adjustable so I could do at least a few of the larger ones, but it looks like its a professional lab for me. I wish I had the cameras these were taken with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008, 3:18:32 PM PST
Film Size: 15x20mm = 110 (16mm, pocket instamatic, etc) ,
45x45mm & 45x60 = 127 ,
60x80mm & 60x60mm = 120 (Brownie)
110x70 = in not sure without looking it up.

The film holder (frames) are not adjustable. You will need the correct holder for the film size.

v500 comes with film holders for Brownie (120 - 60x80 & 60x60, etc.) and 35mm.

v700 & v750 comes with holders for Brownie (120- 60x80 & 60x60, etc.) , 35mm, 4x5", 8x10".

We make and sell Custom Epson v700 & v750 for film sizes not supported by Epson.

I would not recommend the v500 for scanning film. The v700 & v750 is considerably better and the film holders are better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 3:47:21 PM PST
Athena says:
Thank D. Barklelw,

1. I appreciate your recognition and identifaction of some of the film sizes - I thought I was going crazy.

2. Since I have relatively few negatives of each size (curse my inconcistent lineage :)) I think, like all good broke procrastinators, I will put off my resolution - but don't think that your response will not subtly be circulated as a last minute holiday gift reminder and saved for later consideration.

Cheers to you all and may all your negatives be 35mm or true large format,

Athena

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008, 8:26:51 AM PST
WS says:
Hi, I also have a bunch of those larger negatives that i would not trust to any one outside my sight! I had found an Acer Scanprisa that accomodated many sizes and did a great job bringing these old photos to light. I wish i could find another like that reasonalble price because i wore this one out! Does anyone know where i can get spare parts for this thing?
Thanks,
wanda in nj

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008, 10:23:31 AM PST
Athena says:
WS:

I confess I have not heard of a Scanprisa, but I have gone through the looking for parts exercise for a laptop I loved. In the end cost was almost prohibative - the deciding factor was whether I could reasonably move to VISTA - how much longer will your Acer run with your Acer run if you have to change systmes? For everyone, Amazon's sale price as of the tme and date of this post is V700 - $470 and 750-M $680. I didn't check the Epson or any other site. If one of you gets one, can I borrow it for about a week?

Still looking under the couch cushions,

Athena

Athena

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009, 1:43:23 PM PST
I would like suggestions for what models to purchase for the larger negatives. I have several different large negatives ranging from 3.25" x 2.25" to a larger 3.5" x 4.5".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2009, 4:51:16 PM PDT
K. Dewitt says:
I was wondering if you would know what kind of film it is if each small picture measures about 1/2 x 3/4 inches. It is VERY small. It is cut so that there are about 5 pictures to each strip. I'm trying to buy a scanner to restore my mothers old photographs of her parents and wedding but I have not been able to find out what type of film this is and I want to make sure I get a scanner that can scan this size. Thank you!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2009, 5:34:29 PM PDT
It sounds like 110 (pocket instamatic) film size. We sell aftermarket 110 and other film holders for many popular scanners. Try to get a measurement in mm for a true identification.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2009, 12:45:36 PM PDT
hi all. i too have b/w negs from 20/30/40/50's. would the epson 4490 work for these negs and 35mm slides? i'm talking 120, 620, 116(?) alot of the ancient stuff was taken with kodak dual-flex, kodak manual-shutter box, and brownie starmite. thanks, terry

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2009, 1:40:40 PM PDT
Yes your Epson 4490 with the standard OEM film holders will work for 120, 220, 620, and 116 roll film. The standard Epson v500/4490 "Brownie" adapter will hold film 60mm wide x 125 long.

If you have not purchased a scanner then I would recommend looking at the Cannon 8800F for about the same money, or the Epson v700.

Cannon 8800F and Epson v700 have better film handling than the v500/4490.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010, 1:30:21 PM PDT
I,too, am looking for a product to scan those 110 negatives. I think I have some that were called 126 as well. Most of my newer ones are 35mm, so what product would you recommend for scanning the 35s as well as the older ones?

Posted on Aug 16, 2010, 3:32:17 PM PDT
Canon Scanner - 110 (16mm) Film Adapter

We make 110 holders and adapters for most scanners. Most scanners will do 126 (with slight cropping) using the included 35mm holder.

Dust artifacts is a big problem, so get a scanner with "Digital ICE" or "FARE", hardware dust removal.

CANON 8800F and 9000F are a good bang for the buck.

Darrell

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011, 3:12:45 AM PST
Great to find this thread in cyberspace. I found about 200 Kodak Box Brownie negs after my Dad died. I tried scanning with an MFP (multi-function printer) which some of you call "all-in-ones" I gather. The MFP scanner hopeless. The old HP flatbed did sharper job. Software like Paintshop Pro, Photoshop has a Negative setting as well all the usual Photo stuff like dust and scratch removal, contrast, etc. It's just getting decent scan that's the hard part.

Am I right in assuming that a film process (that will take them) can do a superior job than home scanning? I don't want to spend hundreds much less $1000 plus for a few negs. Like smashing a walnut with sledgehammer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011, 6:22:31 AM PST
It's been awhile, but I purchased an RX Optics slide-scanner from Amazon and never used it (I wonder if i can return it). now I'm looking to buy a PanDigital Photolink also to scan prints. I'm finding i'm going to have one device for each of several formats. No way. My negs (also prints) are from a Brownie Starmite III, Kodak (cardboard) box, Kodak Dualflex TLR, 120 and 220 from RB-67 and Yashicamat, 35mm prints and slides (and what about Polaroid-size prints?) I'm retiring on the 28th and have thousands of prints, slides, and negs of every possible format to catalog to save visions of 3 generations of my family---almost all of which are deceased. And what about software? I have Photoshop Elements 5.0. Need your help Mr B. Thanks, Terry

Posted on Jan 26, 2011, 7:27:03 AM PST
Avoid the off-brand junk, (PanDigital, Wolverine. etc.). The image quality of the cheep hardware is horrible.

Go for a "name brand" scanner (Epson, Canon), avoid the all-in-one type.

We recommend Epson v600, Canon 9900F, 8800F.
Darrell

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011, 7:36:51 AM PST
ok, darrell. i'll check them out. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2011, 6:56:47 AM PST
thanks, darrell. today is my 1st day of retirement, so i'll check those items out, after a nap (i worked nights). i'd like your advice on any accessories that your co. can help me with. i have minimal computer ex. and our co. PC's were very user-friendly. terry
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Negative Scanner forum (1 discussion)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
older negatives 31 Jan 31, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Negative Scanner forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers