Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Networking forum

Will Femtocell or cell repeater improve the alpha pager or beppers reception

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012, 7:59:02 AM PDT
My job requires me to use alpha pager and beepers at home and I have very poor reception service of sprint( provider) at my home and miss a lot of beeps from my employer. If I use either femtocell or cell repeater will it improve the performance of my alpha pager at home.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012, 11:25:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012, 11:34:23 PM PDT
HMMWV says:
The cellular amplifiers on the market (Wilson makes a quality product) are heavily engineered to ensure that the weak handset signal is amplified and sent OUTSIDE, while the cellsite is outside and sent INSIDE to improve reception on the unit located inside. To do this the amplifiers use a series of band pass filters so that the proper frequency is going the proper direction. This is where 98% of the paging channels get cut out.

What you should do first is determine if you are a SPRINT customer or a sprint/NEXTEL customer. The difference is the frequency used. There are some specialty amps for nextel users, but nextel just signed an agreement to leave their frequencies that interfered with public safety and move to a new block of channels. You must match the pager's frequency with the amplifier's frequency.

In the usa, the frequencies used are in the 824 and 824+45 or 869 mhz bands (+45 mhz) and up in the 1910 Mhz for PCS or gen II cellular (however it should be referred to as PCS as there are limited spectrum sections of pcs meant for pagers or digital data devices only - if your unit operates in the PCS band at 1900 mhz you stand a good chance of finding an amp that will work inexpensively). If your pager is pre-2000 it's likely a 930 mhz unit and will be filtered by the amps.

Now comes the TYPE of pager you have, and the frequency it operates on. Skypage used a nationwide network of narrowband PCS frequencies, but they were setup in a sliver of the 929-931 Mhz band. OTHER networks piggybacked on the data channels in the 1900 mhz PCS voice channels to send two-way data and had small keyboards. There were also some oversized pager-ish devices like "danger" that used pcs frequencies to send data, often on unreliable auction won frequencies that lacked the financial backing to build out a wide area network.

Over time, two way pagers became more expensive than cheap cellular modems operating in 824 mhz and providing true high speed internet access. Companies quit making pagers and the supply became limited to refurbished equipment. To further confuse things 4G LTE came around in the auctioned 700 mhz band which, like the typical pager frequencies of 931 mhz, are NOT passed through the normal amplifiers made by wilson for 3g cellular.

So in short, there is a VERY slim chance that your two-way pager would benefit - and that would be if it piggybacked on the cellular or pcs bands. In 2012 paging is such a small portion of the wireless market compared with 1985 when cellular was emerging and a pager was economical that few devices cater to the very few pagers still in use, especially with the popularity of SMS messaging - pure profit for the cell companies. Check with your paging carrier, get the EXACT frequency they use, and see if it is part of the passband of the amplifier. If it is, you are very lucky!

Note there is a very limited market for satellite pagers which cover 99% of the earth's surface (and ocean) - but they are up in the 1500 mhz bands and I do not know of any amplifiers for them as sales were very small, the pager was huge, and reliability left alot to be desired.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Networking forum (416 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers