Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Paranormal Romance forum

Read, Reading, Planning to Read .... Part two:)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4676-4700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 3:20:54 AM PDT
Susie says:
Gaynell - Thats another series I will have to move up in my very large TBR list....
When you get to Perfect, let me know and if I am not in a really good book that I cant put down, I will read it with you as its also in my TBR pile :-)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 4:15:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012, 4:16:24 AM PDT
Well as a public service I thought I should pass this on:

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-july-181324701--finance.html

"Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July" this is a link to an article detailing (very boring) a piece of malware that apparently about half a million people worldwide are infected with, not exactly a virus but a scam which the government has already shut down and locked up the guilty parties BUT what they had done was to invisibly to the user, cause the infected computers to use the hackers illegal servers for all internet traffic and the government replaced those with government owned servers which will be shut down in July. It let you surf the internet and all it did to you was give you extra advertising that the hackers made money from (semi-legal). In other words you probably never noticed anything.

Go to http://www.dcwg.org/detect/ and there is a list of links depending for your country (yep, there are ones for Australia, France and several others) and if you are ok you get a green symbol telling you its OK and if not you will get additional instructions. Most likely you are ok but since this takes like 15 seconds I did it and would recommend anyone else do the same mainly because I could not get a clear answer to my question of "will my anti-virus software find this?". I find it amazing that a internet scam this large happened, the FBI caught them and I missed it, guess since it was invisible to affected users nobody cared until the government said they were going to shut down the servers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 4:43:59 AM PDT
@Karen - "I seem to be unable to not male mistakes" - uh, yea .... bout that, you need to go here and meet your soul mates :)

http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/4077/10-most-popular-autocorrects-from-december-2010/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 6:27:19 AM PDT
Well, since I am a compulsive book buyer, I may just buy the Dragon Kin series. Just loved the sample of Dragon Actually. I have developed a dragon festish it seems. In spite of their crankiness, they can be most amusing. I will check the library tho to see what they have. We have a pretty decent library in Columbia, MO.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 6:46:21 AM PDT
@SWLTR - go here to get the preferred reading order, she wrote some of them out of order. Reading in the published order (as I did) will not hurt anything but if you use the story timeline I think it would have been better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R373UBWG0RH91L/ref=cm_sylt_byauthor_title_full_2

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 6:50:18 AM PDT
Just checked out Gina Showalter on Amazon and found a kindle bundle of "Lords of the Underworld" for only $8.38....a $10.57 reduction from posted charge. Does anyone know if this is a good deal? Is the editing good? It is a good deal price wise for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 6:59:07 AM PDT
KSM says:
Oh my God, that was so funny Doug! I was almost rolling on the floor... But I don't even have that excuse, it's just my bad typing on the iPad.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 7:20:38 AM PDT
@Karen - that is just one month, if you go back you can read other months, I can only do so much, I laugh so much I can hardly breath at some of them. my son has an iPhone and i get some strange txts.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 7:21:32 AM PDT
@SWLTR - I have not read any of the LOTU series so I can't help ya there :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 7:35:45 AM PDT
Susie says:
Doug - that's hilarious... thanks for posing that LOL :-))))

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 8:48:37 AM PDT
Cace411 says:
Doug - Thank you so much for that link!! I laughed so hard I was practically hyperventilating. Surprised I didn't pee my pants! OMG that is like the funniest thing!! Showed my husband and he was LHAO too!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 9:10:25 AM PDT
A. Davis says:
SWLTR....Lords of the Underworld is one of those hit or miss series. Some books are rather good and others....aren't. As for the bundle, it is a good buy, although I think one of the stories is a short story. Also, Showalter's Kindle pricing is really good for the whole series - that's pretty much what keeps me buying them. The books are not always worth $7.99, but they are probably worth the $5.49 (or less) that she charges for a lot of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 1:08:36 PM PDT
Thanks A. Davis. I think I will go ahead and just buy the bundle. I have read a novella by her that was tied in with a KC novella. It was pretty good. If the editing is good, i am sure it will be worth the very reasonable price. Thank you for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 1:19:10 PM PDT
Menno says:
Oh thank you Doug, hubby and I have not laughed that hard or that long for years!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 2:00:46 PM PDT
WARNING: That site is also addictive :)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 2:54:02 PM PDT
Marie says:
Doug- I'm debating on buying The Witness because I really enjoyed the sample. I know Nora Roberts is a great writer because her In Death series is an auto buy for me. One question- how did you find the romance in this book? Is there a lot of it..is it believable...etc. The reason I ask is because I read a review where it said that the H came across as almost stalkerish. He didn't respect the h's wishes..things like that. Would you be so kind as to clear this up for me? Thanks:)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 3:07:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012, 3:09:10 PM PDT
@Meagen Yuen" Has anyone read the Negotiator trilogy by CE Murphy? Thoughts?" I did read the trilogy and enjoyed them. It starts slow but I loved the characters. It's more UF (low on the romance) it does happen and the main character Margrit Knight (h) is a tough cookie and sorry Doug, a lawyer. She's smart and doesn't take crap (will I get in trouble for using that word?) She becomes the negotiator btwn three different factions and with the help of Alban (H) a Gargoyle resolves the current issue of the book. In the first bk Alban is accused of committing murder,they meet in person for the first time and voila` simmering romance...

C.E. Murphy has built an interesting world (I'm describing everything badly) of Gargoyles, Vampires and Dragons. It's alot better than my synopsis. I think I'll read them again :) I just re-read all of Kate Daniels and bought First Grave on the Right, but after that Heart of Stone here I come.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply but I had to read through all the posts, 230 of 'em =0

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 3:21:18 PM PDT
@marie - re: The Witness he was intrigued because he WAS the Chief of Police and he could tell she was not telling him the truth so he did not just go away but he became somewhat enamored with her and being a good Southern boy he did not just take no for an answer but it was FAR from stalkerish, sounds like a woman with some serious paranoid issues to think that. He was persistent but patient while trying to win her affections :)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 3:31:24 PM PDT
Doug It's bad enough that I'm behind on all the posts of this forum, now with "Da** Autocorrect" I think I'll never catch up :) I was laughing so hard my kids heard me from outside!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 3:36:40 PM PDT
@Bea Reader - I keep getting the feeling that while I am addicted to The Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy that her Negotiator series may not be as entertaining? I also read someplace (maybe here) that she has kinda left the series in limbo as far as any more books?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 3:59:40 PM PDT
@ Doug-She did leave the series in limbo because she wanted to continue on w/ the Walker Papers. She blogged (?) that she missed writing about them (the characters in WP) She left it at an interesting point in NEG series, and I am waiting patiently for the fourth book. Doug take my advice and read them you'll enjoy them, if you like the heroines like Alex Craft; Margrit Knight belongs there. I have to re-read the lot in order to give more details (I've read alot of PNR and Horror in btwn) I don't want to mislead anyone as far as specific char. devel. I do remember being disappointed that book four was going to be a ways off. Her books are a 'sit down and read in one night' kinda feeling, you don't want to leave.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 4:05:12 PM PDT
I did buy all the Walker Papers bks (Borders going out of bus. frenzy) but I haven't read them yet. So I can only tell you that I liked Neg. As to compare the two I'll tell you next week (since we both like the same genre and you said you're addicted to WP)
Melindeeloo also gave the WP a thumbs up, I better get cracking. lol

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 4:08:43 PM PDT
Menno says:
Just finished Burning Alive and I think I enjoyed it better this time around (Altho I posted earlier that I had just delved into Briggs and Cole at the same time, so it probably wasn't fair to Butcher). I do have a few questions by the end of the book and would appreciate anyone's input (I feel like I've bugged Lulu enuf today). I usually hate spoilers - I don't even read teasers on websites or at the end of books - but I think I'm going to need them to keep me interested in this series. So, if you haven't read the series yet, skip to the next post.

On page 297, Gilda is keeping secrets from Angus, but apparently one is really bad cuz she thinks, "She never wanted him to know what she'd done to him - what she'd done to all the Theronai." So, what'd she do? And is it why Sybil is so angry with her?

I'm not clear on why the Slayers, Theroni and Sanguinar all hate each other. I thought they were all decended from that other planet (Athanasia) and they're all fighting the Synestren. Yeah, they're not openly fighting each other, but the Theroni and Sanguinar have an uneasy truce but I'm not sure why they don't trust each other. What happened?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 4:09:40 PM PDT
Marie says:
Thanks for the info:) I think I'm gonna go ahead, bite the bullet and get the book:) I trust in your judgement and the writing ability of the author:)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012, 4:17:46 PM PDT
re: Walker Papers - I think I have mentioned before that this series is a bit different than most UF/PNR I read and without a background of reading in fantasy not sure if I would have had the patience for it, since her powers are slow to develop, many/most of her problems are self imposed due to her lack of growth BUT by the last book (like book 7) she is finally coming into her won and really the series has picked up, Book 1 (Urban Shaman) was great for me and then it slows down in the next book or 2 but the common theme keeps growing. The romance kinda picks up (can't really explain or it would be a spoiler) but she is fiercely loyal to her friends. The amount of introspection is what might out people off and that's where you need to be good at scanning/speed reading because while you have to kinda pay attention, you don't need all the filler. These books are good enough overall that doing that does not put me off at all, since it usually only lasts for a few pages. I am not sure I ever read a series like this where I had to "shift gears" as much as I do with these but IMHO they are worth it and I can't wait for the next one. Someplace in my head there is a thought process that says "nobody likes this series as much as you do", I will add that to the list of things I talk to that therapist about one day in the far future :)
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Paranormal Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Paranormal Romance forum
Participants:  107
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers