Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3276-3300 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 22, 2012, 9:11:15 PM PST
sysgen says:
Good read and not just because of the percentage this title sells on Steam. http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/dear-esther/my-retrospectivepost-mortem-on-dear-esther/

"Finally, I also want to say that I really believe that Steam has also been a vital part of our success. It's a gateway that allowed us to reach millions of gamers all over the world, and although we still sell Dear Esther through our own website and several other online stores, for us, Steam currently accounts for over 99% of our total sales, which I think is a testament to how powerful a tool it is for reaching gamers. I've recently been especially pleased to see Valve opening up the submission process with Steam Greenlight. It's still finding its feet but trust me; it's a hell of a lot better than how things used to work!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012, 8:32:59 AM PST
Brian Dortch says:
Well for the games that used GFWL early on had this problem, if you signed into Live and played single player, (for example lets use a gaming laptop) then were in a situation where you would be without internet your single player save wouldn't work.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012, 11:33:12 AM PST
N. Schneider says:
My take on Steam is thus:

Anyone who buys a full-priced retail game on Steam is "doing it wrong."
Steam is for discounted games that are so cheap that they might as well be free. Most of my Steam purchases have been less than $10, and all have been less than $20. For those prices, I can afford to think of games on Steam in the same light that I think of movie tickets: One time, non-refundable, non-transferable disposable experiences. I hate DRM, but I don't get worked up about the loss of Right of First Sale for Steam games anymore than I do about the loss of Right of First Sale for a used movie/concert/whatever ticket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012, 7:12:18 PM PST
They still have this problem. I've been working on a friend's PC all day to get GFWL running again. Turns out he had a few corrupted .dll files that had to be replaced.

Last week I spent 6 hours on my own system getting GFWL up and running on Dark Souls again. I hate GFWL.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012, 9:01:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012, 9:14:10 AM PST
Gary says:
And once again, we find that Steam is evil incarnate. I got my son a new laptop for Christmas. We, as a family, have ONE Steam game and that is Tererria (it was a purchase my wife authorized - had they come to me first they wouldn't have the game because of Steam). So, the vaunted ease of transfer Rock bragged on a while back should make adding the game no problem, right? WRONG!!! He can't play Terreria because as the machine is new Steam demands that it phone home before letting him play. But it can't phone home because their worthless servers are down.

I hate being right all the time. Thank goodness I got the kids a Wii U. One again, we find that Steam's vaunted "features" are useless.

EDIT: just got done reading their forums and the sorry bastards are down all over the world. On Christmas Day. What kind of sorry ass company lets this kind of thing happen on a day like this? I cannot believe anyone defends these scumbags.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012, 12:54:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012, 12:55:30 PM PST
bfore13 says:
What a horrible company, probably running a skeleton crew and letting most of their employees spend X-mas with their families. Who gives their kid a computer w/o having the games and stuff already set up and running?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012, 1:30:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012, 1:32:01 PM PST
Uh, mine's been running fine all day. Try changing the server you're connected to in the settings menu because several of them are under severe load. I moved my server to a different local one when I had a hiccup earlier around lunch, been fine ever since....

I think you over exaggerate when you can't get something simple to work for you. Yes, the servers were having some issues when they swapped to the new sales prior to 10:00 PST. That's when I made the switch. Haven't had a problem since.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 9:54:08 AM PST
Gary says:
The kind who knows his kid enjoys being the first to touch a new piece of electronics, shill boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 10:00:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012, 10:01:21 AM PST
Gary says:
It finally came up about an hour after I posted. And if it was "running fine all day" how was it that you came to have a "hiccup"? It was either running fine "all day" or it wasn't.

If I was over-exaggerating, so were people all over the globe who posted about not being able to play their games on the forums. In fact, it was so bad you couldn't get to the support pages because of all the people who were shut out.

I swear, Valve could shut down their servers entirely and replace their website with one emblazoned with the word "SUCKERS" on it, and you would still defend them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 10:23:38 AM PST
bfore13 says:
You acted like it was some national catastrophe ("I cannot believe anyone defends these scumbags"). Just because you think others overreacted as well doesn't defend the melodramatics. Given recent events in this country you might want to put things in a little perspective. Life is filled with inconveniences, some are much, much smaller than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 11:37:51 AM PST
OWEN says:
I like steam even with their DRM. Like you said nothing is perfect, but when I format and start over, nothing makes up for installing the client, logging in, and getting all of my games back. No disc install, wait, disc install wait, etc. The automatic updates are also another big plus for me. Additionally, when a story comes out that is negative about anything, people come out of the woodwork to pile on, usually with a good chunk of the "reviewers" never even using the product. Wow has an issue, Steam users pile on. Steam, here come the Wow people. Now I could talk about War Z, but I don't have a free hour (<;

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 12:16:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012, 12:20:57 PM PST
Because most people won't take the 3 seconds it takes to swap to another server when they have a problem with server load. I can see you didn't do so either. I had a single minor issue because the server I was using had massive load, as I'm sure others did. This always happens on Christmas and is nothing new.

I'm not defending them, I'm simply stating how I fixed my issues. I think you have some kind of complex where anyone who doesn't have problems with Valve is the devil. Obviously it's too difficult for you to switch to another server. Mouse clicks are hard. It was running fine for a lot of people. A server being overloaded, which was fixed a few SECONDS later for many people, IS running fine all day. I didn't have any problems playing my games during the day. Sucks to be you I guess. :D

Just go cry about it more on the internet, hehe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012, 7:12:01 PM PST
OWEN says:
Also interesting would be if people treated Steam like they treat their internet connection. They're at the mercy of the traffic God's, but they have a completely different reaction to two different entities that are pretty much linked.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012, 9:29:22 PM PST
man i haven't been on here in like two months, been to BUSY playing over 400 steam games i've racked up. the server was interesting, but i didn't do much anyways. it was just another normal day of me downloading and making back ups. people crying about steam as usual, yet act like it should be a perfect platform with no risks involved.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012, 12:41:48 AM PST
A. Mcgrady says:
Steam is awesome, you just have to do a ton of research, play demos and watch lets play videos to try and be sure you want the game. I have bought a few games I wish I hadnt but they were on sale and there's no use crying over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:14:33 AM PST
Gary says:
Uh, no, I "acted" like it was another reason why Steam sucks in particular and always on DRM sucks in general. You supplied the strawman overreaction and drama.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:20:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012, 6:21:55 AM PST
Gary says:
Ok, I don't use their suckwad service myself, get it? Second, I didn't know you could change servers. Third, I couldn't find out how to switch servers because their support page was down. Fourth, it didn't suck to be me, I don't play kiddie 2d side-scrollers. It did suck to be my 13 year old, and your scumbag lack of empathy for a child is what I would expect from Valve and its shills.

Finally, I guess the truce is over, so stick it up your fourth point of contact, shill boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:25:10 AM PST
Aw, the insults almost stung, lol. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

You cried, I pointed it out, you're still crying. Stop crying and get over it. Until you act like an adult, no one will treat you like an adult.

/give tissue to Gary

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:27:07 AM PST
Gary says:
No crying here. Just smug satisfaction in being proven right once again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:34:00 AM PST
Looks like you got hit in your third point of contact a few too many times.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:37:40 AM PST
Gary says:
In my outter thigh? How typical of you to comment out of ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:41:43 AM PST
Obviously you were never really a paratrooper. Everyone knows that it's "feet > ass > head."

Posted on Dec 27, 2012, 6:46:34 AM PST
Gary says:
Using Google I see. Obviously, I was able to do a PLF.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 6:49:09 AM PST
Truce was over when you claimed I was a sucker for defending Steam. I posted how an intelligent person would fix the issue, something you clearly do not understand. A simple google search brought up several threads with how to move Steam servers. It's a shame such a simple task is above you.

You resorted to insults first, kid. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012, 7:01:59 AM PST
Gary says:
Adding lies again, I see. Here is EXACTLY what I said:

"I swear, Valve could shut down their servers entirely and replace their website with one emblazoned with the word "SUCKERS" on it, and you would still defend them."

1. That was a conditional statement.
2. I didn't call you a sucker. I said you would defend them if THEY called you a sucker.

You posted something that only someone who works for the company or has massive experience with its shortcomings would know in a condescending manner - "can't get something simple to work for you."

So, no, shill boy, you broke it first, as is typical for you.

A simple google search works if you first know that servers can be switched (something I didn't know or even think of because this isn't an MMO and I don't use this crappy service). And, of course, I wouldn't have needed to had their sorry support page have been up. Which leads me to believe you are lying again about not having problems - otherwise, their support page wouldn't have been overloaded.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (686 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  263
Total posts:  4253
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  May 26, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers