Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Photography forum

d5100 or d7000

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 6:59:49 PM PST
Patty says:
What is the biggest difference between the Nikon d5100 and the d7000, other than price?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:41:02 PM PST
®ichard says:
If you are a beginner maybe just go with the d5100, chances are you don't need more advance feature. D7000 is more intermediate level and has more buttons for the more manual control. I started with a d40 which is a baby nikon. Probably for 3 years just use the auto mode. The D7000 has a magnesium alloy body and the d5100 has plastic or the fancy name is polycarbonate. Lots of the little specs that you don't need to worry about is like 1/8000 shutter speed verse 1/4000, good if you are on a sunny beach and wan to shoot with a prime lens. Faster sync speed the d7000 can do 1/320 something stobist might care, but nobody else. The buttons are a big factors. Most of the D7000 buttons are external so you don't have to dive into the menu as much like on baby nikon like the d5100 or canon rebel series. The d7000 has more Autofocus poitn and metering system like 39 vs 11 or something. The D5200 release next year will have the the same d7000 AF and metering system. The d7000 can use older nikkor lens to focus, but if you got none don't buy them, plus they are slower and have no VR too.

So if you know what you are doing and don't want to menu dive for button (which doesn't really take that long) that is something intermaite photographer value more. I can probably get the same shots with both camera, have more misses on sport with the d5100 and spend mroe time changing things in the menu. The d5100 is one of the smaller body, bad for small hand (but so are P&S camers), but light for portable and being on your neck for a while.

I just saying if you pay for features you never will use it is wastefully as newer cameras keep on add thing. So by the time you replace your first camera for the next intermediate camera it would have cool new features. If you plane on taking photography class and getting the most out of your camera then the d7000 is a sure thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:26:05 AM PST
EdM says:
There are many improved things about the D7000 over the D5100, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that the autofocus mechanism in the D7000 is MUCH better than the one in the D5100. If you contemplate shooting action or sports, or even small kids moving around, the better autofocus of the D7000 is well worth getting.

Plus, the price is pretty good now around this time of year. If you don't want, you can leave the camera in Program mode and it'll work in your hands much like a D5100 does, except it'll do it better. The main reason to focus on the D5100, IMO, is if you will be doing mostly video, and want the flip out LCD screen which can be very helpful for shooting videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:15:24 AM PST
some significant differences are the built in commander mode, and auto fp, both of which are in the d7000 and not in the d5100. others have comments on the d7000's superior autofocus system and such, so i'll leave them alone.
commander mode is key to nikon's cls system (creative lighthing system). what it allows is full auto ttl control of flash units off camera. the flash unit must be a nikon from this family: sb600 (discontinued), sb700, sb800 (discontinued), sb900 (discontinued), and sb910. it's a very robust lighting system and having commander mode in the camera body makes it that much easier to utilize. if you wanted to use the cls system with the d5100, you'd have to have a commander level flash mounted on the camera body, and another flash off camera. the on camera flash woudl become the commender. the d7000 is a commander so that's one less flash unit you'd have to buy. it's an amazing system IF you take the time to really learn it. so you have to ask yourself how far will you take your photography. do you really see yourself becoming a more advanced shooter, using off camera flash? if yes, the commander mode in the d7000 is worth every penny and then some. i use it all the time, it's why i upgraded from a d3100 to the d7000.

ok auto fp, sounds weird huh? it's also called high speed sync, though nikon's offical term is auto fp. it allows you to set any shutter speed you want while using a flash. the flash must be auto fp capable, and all the ones i mentioned earlier are. all camera bodies have a flash sync speed. what it is is the fastest shutter speed allowed while using a flash. the 7000 is 1/250, the d5100 is 1/200. BUT...if the camera is auto fp enabled (d7000 is, d5100 isnt), you can then use any shutter speed you wish, up to the maximum 1/8000, while using flash. ok who cares, right? it's huge when shooting in bright sunlight. you ever take shots of people in direct sunlight and dislike the results? the harsh sun? the raccoon eyes from the shadows? what auto fp and a flash allow you to do is set a shutter speed that's just fast enough to dim the harsh sunlight, while using the flash to add light, resulting in proper exposure. the flash will push back those raccoon shadows, and give the subject a nice illumination, while keeping the background soft by slightly underexposing it. it's tough to explain and visualize, but trust me, the results are stunning when done right. my bro in law is a wedding photographer, whereas i'm a hobbiest, and focus on family photography and small favor jobs here and there when available. we were both at a bbq in noon day sunlight with our cameras. that's a bad shooting environment, the sunlight is not flattering at all. he was shooting with his camera, i with mine, plus my flash. he thought i was nuts shooting with a flash in bright sunlight. we compared images from our cameras. he now shoots flash in sunlight haha. again, this is a more advanced feature, you'll have to ask yourself will you learn and utilze it? both features are amazing, but take time to learn and control. when used right they'll allow you shots that lesser cameras just cannot take.

hope some of that helps, good luck in your search!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Photography forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
is ebay better than amazon? 18 18 days ago
who is dbroth? 46 Jul 28, 2016
Sky arts 0 Jul 21, 2016
HELP - Wide Angle Lens attachment stuck on Canon 55-250 lens 9 Jul 5, 2016
coffee table books: any hints on publishing? 22 Jun 27, 2016
The best SLR lens for Flower photography? 24 Jun 11, 2016
Jewelry Videos 2 May 18, 2016
Mirrorless vs superzoom 3 Mar 28, 2016
Best "overall" point and shoot 5 Mar 25, 2016
Macro lens for D5000 9 Mar 25, 2016
cannon 60d and 70d 1 Feb 24, 2016
Canon 70d - budget portrait lens? 2 Jan 4, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions