Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Nikon D3000 Flash

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013, 7:02:59 PM PST
I have a Nikon D3000 and would like to buy an inexpensive flash. I really don't know much about them. I just came from my daughter's dance recital and it was dark, just need a little additional light; can you please help me? I see a lot of people have posted that the SB-600 is great, but I don't want to spend that much money on a flash!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013, 8:08:23 PM PST
®ichard says:
look for 3rd party flashes that said ttl (through the lens metering) they run under $200. I can't say if 3rd party ittl is as good as nikon. Most flashes under $75 are manual flash, where you adjust the power settings yourself.

example:
Yongnuo YN-468 II TTL Flash Speedlite for Nikon D7000 D5100 D5000 D3000

Posted on Jan 19, 2013, 10:35:11 PM PST
K. C. Norris says:
I'd like to second what the previous poster wrote. (Sorry, I don't know how to make that symbol.)
I have an SB910, SB700, and my original SB600. All of them are great when I'm setting-up a location and need/desire CLS & TTL flash management. But when I'm manually metering my light, I almost always reach for my Yongnuo YN-560. It is fast and easy to program, throws a powerful beam of light for a good distance, and has never failed. (My SB600's bulb actually died and I had to repair it.)

If you are manually metering, I highly recommend the YN-560, or a newer model if they have one now. If you are going to be doing balance flash or fill-flash on the run, then I recommend the TTL YN-468 II version. The menus are MUCH easier to navigate than the Nikon SB600/SB800 menus, and slightly easier to use than my SB700/SB910 improved menus. To date, I've NEVER taken a photo where I could tell that I used my SB910 or YN-560 from looking at the quality of the light in the photos...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013, 10:17:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013, 10:24:48 AM PST
EdM says:
Have you asked if flash is permitted? For ballet, e.g., acrobatic moves like a leap {Grand jeté, e.g.], you might be endangering the performer if you use a flash for such a critical, "peak moment" photo. Not to mention "pre-flash" distraction possibilities.

The "exposure triangle" [search for it on the internet, or get/borrow Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera means that you can not only increase the light [via a flash, e.g.], but you can also use a larger lens diameter [aperture] to let in more of the light that exists. So, if you are shooting the 18-55 zoom at f5.6, e.g., changing to a 50mm prime lens at f1.8 will grab a bit over 8 times the light. Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

For more $$$, the 50mm f1.4 allows yet twice more light than a f2 setting. Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

As the third leg of the exposure triangle, have you raised your ISO setting? This allows the camera electronics to amplify the electrical signal from the sensor, at the cost of more digital noise at higher ISOs.

The thing about flash is that the Nikon brand flashes cooperate with Nikon DSLR electronics, so YOU don't have to figure out and adjust the power settings yourself.

The other thing about flash illumination is that the amount of light as a general rule falls off with the inverse square of your distance from the subject [stage location, etc.] So, a given flash might illuminate at say 16 feet fine, but be insufficient from 32 feet, e.g. This has to do with your location - how close to the stage or the performance you are. If you are say 40-50 feet away, a flash really won't do much good. In some cases, a flash is quite helpful. BUT, you need to figure out if your situation can be helped or not; don't assume a flash will solve all your woes.

ADDED: For a quick reference on exposure triangle, see this, especially the "EXPOSURE TRIANGLE: APERTURE, ISO & SHUTTER SPEED" part:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

"CAMERA EXPOSURE"

[Unsaid above is that for fast movement in ballet, e.g., it will be difficult or impossible to use a longer shutter speed, due to blurring from subject movement. An advanced technique is to focus on the pauses between the fast parts, but that is difficult, not for the faint of heart.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Photography forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers