Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Will a Nikon D3100 work with a Nikon lens 24-20mm.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012, 1:24:53 PM PDT
Inspired says:
What are the Pros & Cons?Thanks

Posted on Jul 31, 2012, 2:02:34 PM PDT
Do you mean 24-120? If so yes, any lens ending its name with G will work on all bodies. Lenses ending in D will only work on higher end bodies (D90/D7000 and above) This is because the focus requires a motor to drive the auto focus. If you don't mind if it auto focuses then all lenses will physically fit the camera mount. (Nikon F mount)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012, 5:14:07 PM PDT
®ichard says:
I think Mr. C. Churchill got you cover. I will add some pros and cons:

Pros:
1. the 24-120 (if that was a typo) is a full frame lens FX, so you can use it on future FX body like a D800 or even the rumor D600 without cropping. Keeps you from buying dx bodies year end and year out like some people might do.
2. the dx lens equivalent of this is the 18-105, which is a cheaper build for sure.

Cons
1. I think this model is discontinued so you are looking at the a factory refurbish model. Unless you are thinking about the f4 constant version, that is a gold ring version so it isn't cheap. I rather get a 3rd party f2.8 then a nikkor f4.
2. considered by many reviews as a softer lens, the cheaper variable aperture version not the f4.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012, 7:04:25 AM PDT
EdM says:
On the 24-120 zoom - Do you mean this one: Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR?

Any AF-S Nikon F mount lens will work just fine on your D3100.

However, there is also an earlier lens with the same focal length range, the Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED AF-S VR. Note that this last is different from the constant f4 aperture lens, and notably not as good.

First, on your D3100, the 24mm wide end is equivalent to 36mm in FF terms, which is not very wide. OTOH, the 120 long end is equivalent to ~ 180mm in FF terms, so if you shoot from mainly normal to telephoto focal lengths, this lens becomes reasonable. However, it does cost ~ $1300. For significantly less, you can get the latest 18-200 lens for your D3100, for even more coverage at both the wide and long ends. Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras

I have one of these lenses 24-120 f4 lenses, and it is somewhat neither fish nor fowl, neither particularly sharp [e.g., due to having a somewhat longer zoom range], nor a true "one lens does all" model either. Note the user reviews for this lens here on Amazon. OTOH, I mainly shoot FF [full frame], and using this lens on a DX Nikon body like your D3100 does improve its performance due to the DX crop. This lens is admirable in build and handling, but not nearly up to the optical performance level of the 24-70 f2.8 "pro" zoom. Still, you do get the improved focal length range.

So, why are you considering this particular lens? If it fits your shooting style and usual focal lengths, it has some aspects that are very nice. Here is one review of the latest, f4 version:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1358/cat/13

If you are looking at the earlier discontinued model, it is notably not as good than the current version and would not be my choice. Still, what matters to you may be different than what matters to me, and if at a low price may still provide some measure of value.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012, 9:10:26 PM PDT
Inspired says:
I am so sorry, I meant the 24-70mm.Thanks for all the replies.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012, 12:39:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012, 12:42:10 AM PDT
EdM says:
In that case, I love the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens if it fits your budget and your needs. I bought mine before I got a FF [full frame] Nikon DSLR.

On a DX body, it is equivalent to ~ 36-105mm f2.8 zoom, which means it doesn't go as wide as some want, but it does cover the usual portrait focal lengths, as well as normal all around focal lengths. It is fast enough at f2.8 to use at night or indoors, and works well for most normal travel uses.

OTOH, I haven't tried it out for balance on a D3100, where it may be a bit front heavy. Also, it lacks VR, if that matters to you. Still, with one hand under the lens barrel and one on the DSLR body, I believe most would find it quite nice, and it gets great image quality. Check out the user reviews here on Amazon for this lens, as well as on various photography web sites.

There are a few options if the price is too stiff, perhaps the new 24-85 zoom Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Lens, the 16-85 DX zoom Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR Nikkor Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras, both of which lack a fast f2.8 aperture, and some people like a third party lens as a normal, walk-around zoom.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Photography forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers