Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Thoughts on Sony DSLRs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-61 of 61 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 3, 2012, 9:51:53 AM PDT
J. Howarth says:
Now all the dealers have jacked Sony Lens prices by $200, Is this a seasonal thing? I was about to make a major lens purchase and have now changed my mind. 200 bucks is 200 bucks better spent elsewhere.

I think the benefit is lost when you use old FX lenses on an FX camera. The DX camera is mainly using the sweet spot of the glass.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012, 5:54:18 PM PDT
K. Heiman says:
I just got a great deal on a T2i package. IMHO, if you are not going to be shooting a lot of video, the T2i is pretty much the same setup for a fair amount less than the T3i.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012, 8:07:33 PM PDT
iMe says:
Sony's been having major supply issues since the earthquacke in Japan and flooding in Malaysia - that's why it's taking a while to get the NEX-7, and it's hard to find the A65 and A77 at local dealers. Most local stores don't have many lenses in stock either. This might explain the price hike at some retailers, and I'm sure some Sony fans will be willing to pay the $200 - I know I was almost willing to pay about $300 more for an NEX-7, but thankfully the Olympus OM-D was announced and should be out next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012, 8:54:26 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
Olympus? You are brave.

Olympus has been caught up in scandal. They got a new CEO who apparently noticed irregularities and, upon inquiring about them, discovered he was being fired by the board for looking into the matter (this all happened within days of him becoming CEO). Mud-slinging ensued. Now it looks like huge portions of the management are being replaced. If you go to their global website, the front page is basically an announcement that they're replacing their management team effective the next board shareholder meeting.

This does not sound like a solid company.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012, 8:28:38 PM PDT
G. LO says:
Wait till you want to buy top Sony glasses and you will pay a lot more than Nikon's and Canon's

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012, 10:48:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2012, 10:49:38 PM PDT
iMe says:
I'm not concerned with failed corporate decisions. I was just expressing my thoughts on why Sony camera hardware costs might be higher at some dealers, and my decision for not having to wait or overpay for the NEX-7.

Let's not turn this 'Thoughts on Sony DSLRs' discussion into 'Thoughts on unethical behavior at Olympus'.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012, 12:47:40 PM PDT
mary says:
Sony can use all the Minolta Maxxum lenses of which there are many to chose from and you get the anti-shake feature along with all the auto focus functions.

Neither Nikon or Canon can do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012, 6:25:15 PM PDT
T. Campbell says:
Keep in mind that in-body stabilization is sub-optimal. It's another compromise. You get the ability to have "something" with every lens... but not necessarily ideal for any lens. In-lens stabilization is designed for the specific optics of its own lens.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 4:53:00 AM PDT
UG says:
Many people already have replied with the numerous pros and cons, but the key selling point for me has been the continuous auto-focus (in photos and videos) that the SLT technology provides. I cannot put into words, how different a shooting experience the SLT provides. Having previously owned 2 other big name brand DSLRs (unnamed so that their fans don't have a fit), after using the Sony SLT there is no going back for me. At high burst rates (which I shoot a lot for sports) and during video, the SLT never loses focus or blacks out on me. Personally, this has been my biggest problem with conventional DSLRS and my reason for investing in my Sony. Of course, the image quality is spectacular, or I wouldn't waste my time or money on it! Just my $0.02

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 5:08:56 AM PDT
UG says:
I generally agree with your statements, but I've personally found that this minimal light loss is only an issue in very dark conditions... and even then, I see my Nikon and Canon friends slipping their speed lights onto the camera. I wish one of the "dozens of ways to solve the focus issue" would be invented, but until then, I have found nothing faster and more consistently accurate than the continuous phase detection auto-focus that the SLT technology currently provides. Sony's own mirrorless NEX, although better in low-light, can't even keep up with the speed and precision of the SLT series.
Your reply to UG's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 5:18:35 AM PDT
UG says:
Fishman, I couldn't agree more with every point. Nice summary and great advice.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Photography forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers