Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Don't believe the Estate Tax lies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012, 5:50:03 PM PST
MisterTee says:
<Back in the day, one of the key Republican arguments against the estate tax was that it forced hardworking, salt-of-the-earth children of small farmers to sell the family plot in order to pay their taxes after dad died. It was a sad story, but with one problem: no one could find even a single small farmer who had been forced to liquidate in order to satisfy Uncle Sam's voracious maw. Even the American Farm Bureau Federation was eventually forced to admit that it couldn't come up with a single example, and a few years later the Congressional Budget Office estimated that under the now-current exemption level, only a tiny handful of small farms were likely to owe any estate tax to begin with - and of those, only about a dozen lacked the assets to pay their taxes. And even those dozen had 14 years to pay the bill as long as the kids kept running the farm. In other words, the story was a fraud from beginning to end>

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/09/zombie-lies-taxes-and-small-businesses

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 6:09:05 PM PST
VicAriel says:
If modern day Republican politicians were forced to tell the truth about the issues and their intentions, 90 percent of the people would vote against them. They are nothing more than prostitutes for a select few.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 6:31:31 PM PST
If modern day democrat politicians were forced to tell the truth about the issues and their intentions, 90 percent of the people would vote against them. They are nothing more than whores for union thugs.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012, 6:39:03 PM PST
jpl says:
I'm against any government subsidies, except those for people who are disabled--TRULY disabled; defense; and education, but not the neverending "sounds-good, doesn't-work educational "change".

Farmers don't need my tax money; airlines don't need my tax money; nobody needs my tax money except education, the disabled, and defense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 6:39:22 PM PST
Lientje says:
Entropy: You might have something if there were any unions left. But there aren't, and
you don't.

Meanwhile, we know how much the Republican Party loves the "little" people. Just
enough to get their vote - a not one whit more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 6:40:29 PM PST
A small farmer i worked with said anyone who has to pay the tax shouldn't be farming. They aren't smart enough. Insurance policies and gifts take care of cheaply.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 8:58:28 PM PST
and disabled would do better and get more care by private charity

govt does not belong in the charity biz
only military police

and feds dont belong in education

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012, 9:15:20 PM PST
MisterTee says:
I think airplanes would fly better if the damn government would quit always telling them where they can go.

I mean seriously... the *nerve* !

Posted on Nov 14, 2012, 11:54:20 PM PST
Trust Me says:
I know a family that did have trouble with the estate tax on the family ranch in California, so it can be a problem, but that was in the 80s. In So Cal, if you have a modest house and a modest retirement fund, you might well have an estate tax issue, even more so after the "cliff." I'm not ranting against the Estate Tax, but a reasonable exemption and easy method for spouses to maximize their exemptions shouldn't be a big deal to agree upon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 12:45:29 AM PST
Bad Rad says:
My spouse's family owns what's left of the oldest family farm in the United States - in the same family since 1640. Much of it was sold over the years to pay estate taxes. End of discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:03:37 AM PST
Didn't plan well did they.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:06:50 AM PST
Problems most farmers have is not letting go. The estate tax can be circumvented by various gifts and trusts to your heirs along with relatively cheap insurance policies. But that takes planning and a gradual loss of control.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:30:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012, 2:31:44 AM PST
MisterTee says:
Well, now we know who one of the article's 12 examples are. 12 families in the entire nation doesn't sound like a very big problem to me.

End of discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:31:51 AM PST
Intrepid says:
Not trying to be insensitive but shouldn't your family budget for such eventualities and buy more life insurance to cover such things?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:36:24 AM PST
MisterTee says:
It's not like they didn't have the time... being that the land was owned by the family since 1640 !

That's a little over 350 years. Things have changed a lot in my family, in the last 350 years... by way of example.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:41:52 AM PST
I'm against the estate tax because its wrong. Just because someone has died does not mean that Uncle Sam now is entitled to a portion of his estate. He should be allowed to pass down all his estate to whoever he wishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:42:59 AM PST
Well said. Why we still give out farm subsidies is beyond me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 2:44:08 AM PST
MisterTee says:
Well, I'm *for* it, more strongly than you are *against* it.

So there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 3:30:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012, 3:31:06 AM PST
Curse you dinkleburg!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012, 3:48:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012, 3:48:59 AM PST
Intrepid says:
Tend to agree with you and jpl on this yet we need to also consider who should pay for those farm subsidies and how: Farm owners via those inheritance taxes. It has to be paid for and who else should pay but the group that benefits. It is a form of group insurance and provided income they otherwise would not have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Politics forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
4466 10 days ago
WHy is it that Democrats really think that they won today? 168 11 minutes ago
cop killer while WHITE ............an other week an other cop killed by a WHITE MAN...........Officer Dies After Sunday Night Shooting 27 11 minutes ago
We LOVE To Ignore Anthropogenic Climate Change. [ACC] Our Reasons [Or Excuses] Are Myriad. But Have We TRULY Considered The Consequences As A Society And As Individuals? Are We Prepared For A Series Of Events That Could End The Human Species? What To Do? 3832 12 minutes ago
Trumpcare bill implodes. Republicans cancel vote and run away from the mess. Somewhere, President Obama is laughing. 338 30 minutes ago
OT : James Franco on the Election of Trump: â€~I’ve Spiraled Into a Depression’ 58 50 minutes ago
The Hill: Congressional Dems Demand Meeting With Kelly. "Kelly's Not Here, Man." 6 50 minutes ago
Why Trump got elected - good insights 958 52 minutes ago
US Republican Lawmaker Says Rape, Incest Are ‘Part of God’s Will’ 37 54 minutes ago
Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition 2016 Edition 3 1 hour ago
The Emperor Has No Clothes 37 1 hour ago
Trump has visited a Trump property on nearly one-third of his days as president 16 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.