Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 11:51:34 AM PDT
You might try I-tunes. I have been adding CD's to this and have over 20,000 songs. I can make playlists based on certain words. I have my PC hooked up to my sound system. Sounds great, and I also like web site songfacts.com for ideas. Like I have a playlist songs used on Simpson episodes, songs with a cowbell etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:31:12 PM PDT
Some excellent tracks if I may say so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:32:59 PM PDT
Another excellent pick

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:44:09 PM PDT
I have alot of the Putumayo Presents - all excellent. The Mississippi Blues and North & south African Legends are good.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:45:43 PM PDT
How about barefoot guitar player. THink he was born with the blues.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:51:01 PM PDT
I've just been thinking of down loading some Mason Proffitt, and where did you find a copy of Donald Where's your trousers?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:55:40 PM PDT
More excellent choises. Always liked COmmander Cody and the Kinks And Dr John and King Crimson.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:57:19 PM PDT
Two of my favorite Kinks songs - Shangrila & Arthur. I Still remember the words from those songs from my youth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 3:58:18 PM PDT
Both good choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 4:00:41 PM PDT
Yeah, Ricky Lee worked at a little restaurant in Pasadena when the album came out. She used to get up and sing when she was working there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007, 8:35:39 PM PDT
nothing says:
Now: Riverside's new album
The Cult's new album

Recently: Nine Inch Nails EP "Fixed"

On the shelf ready to go: Going to give Bobby Darin a whirl.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007, 9:23:59 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
After my exhaustive collecting and listening to the Rough Guides series, I've decided to check out some more of the Putumayo collections (I had one or two already).....

Here's what's sitting her awaiting my attention:

Women of Africa
North African Groove
African Playground\
African Groove
American Folk
Cajun
Zydeco
Swing Around the World
Brazilian Groove
(pause for S&G break...."lookin for fun and feelin groovy"....)

As for my neverending quest for Rough Guide albums...I just got the one on Wales.....

RG also released on in 2007 on The Blues (I already have their Delta Blues)...I'll get that one.

And, speaking of compilations, I just got another one on alt-country...."THIS IS AMERICANA 2". With stuff like this (and even with RG and P), some will suggest it is a "watered down" version of the "real thing". I tend to disagree because they ARE trying to cover bases within the chosen genre. If the genre IS purposefully wide (like RG's "Music of China", I'd assume it to be stylistically diverse). The ones I know on it include: Clem Snide, Kathleen Edwards, Robert Earl Keen, John Doe (X), Caitlin Cary/Thad Cockrell, Marie McKee (Lone Justice), Michelle Shocked, Rodney Crowell and Mary Gauthier. Those that I probably have listened to but don't remember right off include: Sarah Borges, Julie Lee, Jitterbug Thompson, Holly Williams, Amy Speace, Hacienda Brothers, The Greencards, Robin Ella, Eric Bibb, Adrienne Young and Jackie Greene....

What can I say? I love comps. I've literally got thousands of them. The worst one I have is probably a soft jazz collection. I didn't pay attention when I bought it for a quarter....it's not worth it.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007, 4:58:48 PM PDT
Liz says:
JONAS BROTHERS!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007, 6:51:27 PM PDT
E Dill

I am curious about what you thought of the GRAILS record you bought? If you liked it, I have a few recommendations for you, if you are interested.

**Listening, today, to:

DODSFERD - Cursing Your Will To Live
PINK FLOYD - Animals
ULVER - Shadows Of The Sun

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007, 9:35:47 PM PDT
Does anyone know David Dondero's work - "simple Love" in my Cd player.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 9:45:02 AM PDT
P Metzger says:
Recently got Bolts of Melody, by Adam Franklin (of Swervedriver), and... wow. Brilliant as any of the stuff released under the 'Toshack Highway' moniker. I think it's one of those albums that will get even better with repeated listenings, 'getting to know it', as it were.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 3:40:59 PM PDT
WHEN- Trippy Happy
DRAGONS- Here are the roses
YUKIO YUNG- Deconstruction of the popular song
KEVIN AYERS-The unfairground

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 3:48:04 PM PDT
Right now, I've got Loudon Wainwright's "Therapy" on. This morning was Thompson Twins' Greatest Hits (what a great singles band they were!). Also recently in and out of my machine:

Billy Bragg--Don't Try This at Home
Bob Geldof--Vegetarians of Love
Joey Ramone--Dont' Worry About Me
Richard Thompson--Sweet Warrior

So I guess I've been kinda retro lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 7:52:39 PM PDT
Have any of you listened to Martinez and Guthrie's "Gathering Change"? They sound a bit like Jack Johnson and Paul Simon.. really interesting rhythms. It's been in my CD player for months! Can anyone recommend any other artists that sound like them?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2007, 2:42:07 AM PDT
David Ackles-Subway To The Country, American Gothic, Five And Dime
Lambchop-Thriller, Nixon and Is A Woman
Tom Waits-Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Frank's Wild Years
Nosferatu-soundtrack on Youtube
Harrison Birtwistle-Secret Theatre

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2007, 2:59:49 AM PDT
I'm almost always listening to Gordon Lightfoot. Can't get enough of his music... great lyrics and beautiful melodies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007, 9:44:38 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lightfoot is one of those performers where I can distinctly remember when I first heard him.....I guess it was a bit late, since I first remember him from his "If You Could Read My Mind" and then went backwards....I was stationed in Alaska in the Army around 1970-71.....the album from whence the song came (the title was changed to take advantage of the "hit") became quite a favorite among my listening crowd.

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007, 9:51:52 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I haven't heard anyone mention Ackles before. He's a favorite of mine. I recently thought of him some more as I'm working on replacing some vinyl with cd's. A few of my Ackles albums are a bit raggedy thru useage. I have the Electra records. Some of my favorite songs include: Road to Cairo, Mainline Saloon, Subway to the Country and American Gothic (the album taken as a singular piece)....

Great stuff!

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007, 10:17:38 AM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Not much music in my life the past week or so. Snow Patrol's 2004 album "Final Straw" is in the CD player on my computer so I get a track or two from that most days (usually Chocolate followed by Run).

I did finally go see Bourne Ultimatum this weekend (it was the last weekend before it is gone from all local theaters) and while reading the credits I noticed the bassonist got special mention, but I really didn't notice any basson in the soundtrack. I think the soundtrack is great as a soundtrack -- essential but non-obtrusive. In my opinion, if a thriller is good you really shouldn't be noticing the soundtrack anyway.

On the way home from the theater I wish I had my John Denver's Greatest Hits CD in the car because, well, you know... sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007, 10:48:57 AM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
Bluesman Coco Montoya's "Dirty Deal", the latest in a line of quality cds by a very talented singer and guitar player. Then on
to:

Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The U.S.A.". The last of Springsteen's
catalog that I enjoyed, not as good as the earlier stuff but not a
turn-off as some of his later material. Next up will be "The River". I've just got a jones for The Boss.

By the way, I saw him recently on the Today show. With Nils, Max,
Clarence and Little Steven, he still cooks.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  779
Total posts:  7256
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers