Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 3:11:32 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lex:

Another favorite bit in the movie was the interviews with his "parents" who wore fake eyeglasses/noses to hide their real appearance. Then again, considering how well Superman/Clark Kent did with a lousy pair of glasses (and, of course, trading in his leotard for a business suit), maybe it made sense afterall.

Oh, yeah, the interview with his music teacher who said Virgil had no concept of the cello.....he kept trying to blow into it. My only personal problem with the clarinet which I played for about 5 minutes in junior high was trying to find wood in the woodwind. It's like trying to explain CARgo in a ship and SHIPment in a truck. But enough of this Carlinesque humor.....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 5:48:07 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Never did really take to the flamboyant Mr John. I couldn't care less if he was 'in' or 'out'. His ridiculous trademark sunglasses, trashy wig and elevator boots, I felt, were a marketing ploy to hide the fact he had no talent without Bernie Taupin. There were a few songs of his, however, that I would include in my favourites. I do believe I have "Madman Across The Water" and maybe one other?????Won't know until I check.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 7:04:52 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Ed
I own a copy of 'Take the Money and Run'. I bought it recently with some reservation as I thought maybe the humor won't effect me the same way but was pleased to discover it hadn't lost any of it's wacky lustre. Even 'the critic' ie James, thought it was hilarious so in my mind it has stood the test of time and perhaps a generation or two. Loved the Groucho Marx disguises as well. And wasn't Janet Margolin simply stunning. For the life of me, I couldn't understand what she saw in Virgil. Love truly must be blind or it often helps.

Ah....Vintage Allen! Yes, that was the beginning of my relatively short lived admiration for Mr Allen. It was enough to entice me to attend an all day Woody marathon at a local cinema which included Sleeper, Everything you always wanted to know about sex......but were afraid to ask, Play it again Sam and a few others......(I don't remember if Annie Hall was released at the time). I think my sides split on many occassions that day.
Oh, loved the Purple Rose of Cairo as well even though that was made much later.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 9:10:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2008 9:22:12 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Exis:

Ah, Janet Margolin. I had seen her in one magnificent performance BEFORE seeing "Take the Money".... That would be "David and Lisa"....not surprisingly, she played Lisa. It's one of those rather cheaply made indie films that probably distributed quite sparringly when it was first released. I can't remember how I came to see it. If you haven't, it's about two teens (maybe "David" is pushing adulthood) who are sent to a home for children with mental problems. I'm not good at tagging each of their problems but suffice it to say that David is obsessed with precision and timliness and abhors the notion of being physically touched. Lisa speaks only in rhyme. They gravitate toward each other. Essentially, that's the story and it's quite a touching one. (It originally was a play entitled "Lisa and David" (?)).

I still remember watching it (for the 5th or 6th time) one day in a 3rd floor attic apartment I'd rented after I split from my 2nd wife, Marsha. Anyway, by that time, I'd become friends with Rachel in the office and decided to both take a "leave" day from work and watch the movie on tv. (She was a fan, too). Anyway, seeing that it was on Public Broadcasting, we assumed it would be entact. At an extremely touching scene where Lisa is lying in bed pretending that her hand is someone else's (David's?) and begins to slowly slide it to her breast....WAS CUT....by Public Broadcasting!! I mean, they didn't actually show her bare breast anyway but the entire idea of it was too sordid for PBS even. We WERE pissed. David, BTW, was played by Keir Dullea. Some thought the movie was too slow and maybe too uneventful. I thought it was a beautiful little film. That's about my memory of Janet Margolin's work. I know I saw her years later in something but can't recall what it was. I thought she had a screen charisma about her but what do I know.

As for Woody, here's my take on his work....

Take the Money and Run ++++(9) I thought it was hilarious
Bananas ++++(8) I liked it better with repeated viewings
Everything You Always Wanted to Know..... +++ (6) Funny in parts
Sleeper ++++ (9)
Love and Death ++++ (a personal favorite)(10)
The Front ++++ (9)
Annie Hall ++++ (10)
Interiors ++++ (9)
Manhattan ++++ (10)
Stardust Memories ++++ (10) Only I think this is THAT good. It is his ode to Fellini (8-1/2) and I must admit I like it BETTER than 8-1/2.
Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy +++ (7)
Zelig ++++ (8) Clever
Broadway Danny Rose ++++ (10)
Purple Rose of Cairo +++ (7) What, no Woody?
Hannah and Her Sisters ++++ (9)
Radio Days ++++ (9)
September +++(7).....I need to see this one again
Another Woman ++++ (9)
Crimes and Misdemeanors ++++ (8)
Mighty Aphrodite ++++ (9)

I know I saw at least one other that he wasn't in but I can't remember it well enought to give it a grade. I could take a "Woody Allen" festival at home but I must first do one for Paul Newman.....

ed

ps. BTW, Janet died at the age of 50 of ovarian cancer. I looked thru her credits but couldn't pinpoint where I'd seen her on tv. She is in Annie Hall, BTW.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 9:32:05 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lexis:

Some of my favorite Elton tunes....

Bennie and the Jets, Crocodile Rock, Daniel *, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Honky Cat, Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer*, Your Song*

For me, when I liked him, it was as much his voice as it was the songs he sung.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 10:03:06 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

#872 - Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts...Now

1 The Revolution Starts... ++++(10)
2. Home To Houston ++++ (8)
3 Rich Man's War ++++ (10)
4 Warrior ++++ (9)
5 The Gringo's Tale ++++(8)
6 Condi, Condi ++++ (8)
7 F the CC ++++ (9)
8 Comin' Around ++++ (10)
9 I Thought You Should Know ++++(10)
10 The Seeker ++++ (9)
11 The Revolution Starts Now ++++(10)

OVERALL RATING: 9

Comments: I wondered if this one would be a bit heavy handed to me now....it wasn't. Obviously, if Steve EVER had a traditional country audience, it was destroyed forever by this album.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 10:18:47 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#871 - Peter Tosh - Legalize It

1 Legalize It ++++ (8)
2 Burial ++++ (10)
3 What'cha Gonna Do? ++++ (8)
4 No Sympathy ++++ (9)
5 Why Must I Cry ++++ (9)
6 Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised) ++++ (8)
7 Ketchy Shuby ++++ (8)
8 Till Your Well Runs Dry ++++ (8)
9 Brand New Second Hand ++++ (8)

OVERALL RATING: 8

Comments: This IS a classic reggae album, although short on politics. Admittedly, though, nothing much to blow you away. Pleasant, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 10:56:09 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#870 - BB King/Eric Clapton - Riding With the King

1 Riding With the King +++ (7) I don't like the song that much, even with the guitar licks.
2 Ten Long Years ++++ (9)
3 Key to the Highway ++++ (8)....I do love the single string picking
4 Marry You ++++ (8)
5 Three O'Clock Blues ++++(9)
6 Help the Poor ++++(8)
7 I Wanna Be ++++(8)
8 Worried Life Blues ++++ (9)
9 Days of Old ++++ (9)
10 When My Heart Beats Like a Hammer ++++(10) for the guitar solo alone
11 Hold On! I'm Comin' ++++ (9)
12 Come Rain or Come Shine ++++ (9) This was much better than I thought it would be

OVERALL RATING: 8

comments: Here's one where the album doesn't add up to the individual parts. Most of the songs are special because of the guitar work, NOT the vocals. In listening to this album as a whole, I'm sure that for me it would lose it's luster after 3 of 4 songs. There is no real standout here, considering the talent of BB and Eric. But, the guitar(s) are worth the bother, for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 12:44:47 AM PDT
Alexis says:
edill

Of those you mentioned, I especially liked Daniel, Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer, Your song and maybe a few others that I can't recall at present but if I do might include later. The others.........well so/so.

As for Woody....Some of the others I know I have seen but probably could do with a 'refresher' viewing. Annie Hall was a favourite. He was/is quite clever!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 7:19:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2008 7:26:43 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Folks, I'm most annoyed! Another review hurled into cyberspace. Was just about to post when the whole thing seized and @@3++)(^^%%$$#$##!!!!! is all I can say .....oh, and furthermore...)&*^%$$##$&()+&^$#@... but then again who really knows?
Hope my computer hasn't picked up a virus (probably caught it off me).

How are you Mark? I have been keeping a low profile due to illness and mishaps and just life in general. Everything seems to be ok for now so unless my PC has other plans, I should be sticking around for a while.

The review that is no more was on 884(I think!) Erykah Badu/Badusim. I'll try and recall what I had written.

There's no doubt this lady can sing. I love her voice and her sultry style, cool and comfortable like a billowing silky dress on a hot summer's night.
Maybe with a few more listens this album could really grow on me even though I'm not a big fan of contemporary R&B. (This is one genre I actually prefer the non-contemporary style - Loove Duffy's "Mercy" and Nina Simone etc) She is so versatile however, my score for now is 7/10. hope this posts OK

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 11:27:43 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for the Mazzy Star review. Back on the singles thread, we had a slew of listening suggestions, and I caught up with one recently that caught my ear--the Black Keys--they sounded like a cross between Masters of Reality and Jethro Tull. Some interesting stuff.

Here's the next review:

863. Al Stewart--Famous Last Words (1993) (0)

1. Feel Like (?) (-)
2. Angel of Mercy (?) (-)
3. Don't Forget Me (?) (-)
4. Peter on the White Sea (?) (-)
5. Genie on a Table Top (?) (-)
6. Trespasser (?) (-)
7. Trains (?) (-)
8. Necromancer (?) (-)
9. Charlotte Corday (?) (-)
10. Hipposong (?) (-)
11. Night Rolls In (?) (-)

REVIEW: This album is entirely unavailable on YouTube. I listened to the 30-second clips on allmusic and most of what I heard sounded much like his earlier work, some of which I liked--Year of the Cat, On the Border, Time Passages. I wonder how the listeners knew about this one--it passed me by entirely. Can't review it properly, so it gets a 0.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 4:38:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2008 4:40:15 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Ok up to
883. Mazzy Star/ So tonight that I might see.

It's so much better to be able to review a cd in it's entirety especially if it's one you like and haven't heard for years. I too love Hope's voice and those haunting guitar riffs are mesmerising. Yes, I detected a little psychedelic feel on some of the tracks with a little Cowboy Junkies on the side. Hope's voice/style at times reminded me a little of Kristen Hirsch . I was delighted to discover two new favorites in this collection that I hadn't really noticed before - I love it when that happens! They were Unreflected and Into Dust. If you were to glance at al'smusic.com she would describe this album as:
haunting
hypnotic
reflective
psychedelic blues?????
mesmerising
moody (blues??)

#oops - I forgot to give it a rating 10/10.

might try to fit another one in. see how I go.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 10:42:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2011 9:56:17 AM PST
Mark F. says:
Ed.

Thanks for the review.

Up next:

862. Randy Newman--Sail Away (0) (1972)

1. Sail Away (2+)
2. Lonely At the Top (2)
3. He Gives Us All His Love (?) (4)
4. Last Night I Had a Dream (?) (2)
5. Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear (1)
6. Old Man (?) (3+)
7. Political Science (8)
8. Burn On (?) (2)
9. Memo to My Son (?) (4)
10. Dayton, Ohio--1903 (?) (4)
11. You Can Leave Your Hat On (7)
12. God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind) (?) (2)

REVIEW: Two good/great songs here, including my personal favorite from him, Political Science. Nothing else catches my ear, so it gets a 0.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 9:57:22 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#869 Franz Fernidand - ST

1 Jacqueline +++ (10)
2 Tell Her Tonight +++ (10)
3 Take Me Out +++ (10)
4 The Dark of the Matinée +++(9)
5 Auf Achse +++ (9)
6 Cheating on You +++ 10
7 This Fire +++10
8 Darts of Pleasure +++10
9 Michael +++10
10 Come on Home +++10
11 40' +++10

OVERALL RATING: 10 (EASY!)

COMMENTS: I remember when this one came out. I was stoked by its catchiness overall. I mean, truly catchy music IS great music.......sometimes. It is here. I love this album without restraint. Ok, maybe SOME restraint. I'm listening now and I'm still fully clothed.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 10:22:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2008 8:08:41 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
#868. Mason Jennings - Use Your Voice.

1 Crown +++ 10
2 The Light, Pt. 2 +++9
3 Empire Builder +++9
4 Fourteen Pictures +++9
5 Lemon Grove Avenue +++8
6 Keepin It Real ++7
7 Ballad of Paul and Sheila +++9
8 Southern Cross +++8
9 Drinking as Religion +++8 (definitely a Loudon Wainwright feel to it)
10 Ulysses +++9

OVERALL RATING: 9

Comments: Who IS this guy and where was I when this came out? And I was counting on this "unknown" to round out my "lower end" of the musical spectrum. He sounds like a mix of Dylan, Arlo Gutherie, Loudon Wainwright and about 12 others......but he sounds like himself, too.

ed.

ps. So far, its no comparison. I'm more impressed by the early going of the album choices than the song choices from the station's polls. And, Mason and the non-new wavey Talk Talk are two very welcome new additions to my collection, thanks to this survey.

pss. I caught a mistake where I'd used "editions" instead of "additions". Sound alikes may be a common reason for such errors but that was a gnu one for me.

psss. Yeah, I was playing with that last won.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 10:46:41 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
#867. Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair.

1 Shout +++10 (I loved it at first listen and never got sick of it)
2 The Working Hour +++10
3 Everybody Wants to Rule the World +++10
4 Mothers Talk +++9
5 I Believe +++9
6 Broken Orzabal +++9
7 Head over Heels/Broken [live] +++10
8 Listen +++9
9 Shout [*] +++10
10 Everybody Wants to Rule the World [*] +++10

OVERALL RATING: 10

Comments: I remember back when Alternative Press was a fanzine out of Cleveland (not the slickness and emoness of today) and they were quite offended when their boys, Tears for Fears (The Hurting) released THIS album and it had commercial hit written all over it. I took one listen and couldn't quit playing it. To whit....."Commerciality can include art"....a great pop/rock album.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 2:55:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2008 2:58:56 AM PDT
Alexis says:
eddill
Rage did a Franz Ferdinand marathon several weeks ago but I was fading in and out because of the time it was being played. Some sets of music they replay later on around 5-6am so may have a greater chance of being more alert next time even though I more of a night-al. But FF definitely very listenable.

lex

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 2:57:57 AM PDT
Alexis says:
eddill

Yeh! I loved this one too. I also loved Mad World but it must be on another album. Anyway you're certainly ploughing through them now. I'm only managing one a day now but am everhopeful.
Good stuff!

lexi

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 8:00:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2008 12:40:58 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lexis:

Yeah, I'm trying to catch up.

Admittedly, one of the reasons I've repeated my own "rating" scheme so many times is that I feel a bit uncritical by liking so many albums (and, before this, songs) compared to others who've done this. (I can hear some lurker saying to him/herself "doesn't that guy dislike ANY music?".) And, of course, I do. But, again, in looking ahead at the 897 album list, I haven't seen too many that I'm not familiar with and, of those, too many that I don't remember as being quite appealing. So, I'd guess I have a lot of +++ (10-8's) in the future. It could be worse. I could be forcing myself to listen to a bunch of "hair bands".

The cliche is that critics love to write about stuff they hate (especially movie critics) because it gives them an opportunity to be cleverly nasty. I guess I'd make a lousy critic if that's part of the schtick. (Actually, Roger Ebert, now recuperating from a stroke, quickly became one of the most popular movie critics America has ever seen and notably was also known for liking more movies than most critics. (If "4" was his excellent, he gave out a lot of "3's".) The NY Times often seemed to have movie critics that did like movies that much. It's like being a food critic who hates food or, in this instance, a music critic who dislikes most music.

Anyway, I'm having fun.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 9:31:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2011 5:56:09 PM PST
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for your review.

Up next is a band that totally passed me by--Old & in the Way--a Jerry Garcia band.

861. Old & in the Way--Old & in the Way (3) (1975)

1. Pig in a Pen (?) (1)
2. Midnight Moonlight (?) (4+)
3. Old and in the Way (?) (4)
4. Knockin' on Your Door (?) (3)
5. The Hobo Song (?) (2+)
6. Panama Red (7+)
7. Wild Horses (6)
8. Kissimmee Kid (?) (3)
9. White Dove (?)
10. Land of the Navajo (?) (5)

REVIEW: I get the feeling that this is the first of many Dead-related albums we'll see on this list. Interesting bluegrass material. I'll give it a 3 for now.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 9:00:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2011 11:23:15 AM PST
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

Welcome back! And you weren't too tired to get in a few puns--slick, point, etc.!

Up next, here we go again:

860. Jerry Garcia and David Grisman--Shady Grove (1996) (0)

1. Shady Grove (?) (3)
2. Stealin' (?) (3+)
3. Off to Sea Once More (?) (3)
4. The Sweet Sunny South (?) (4+)
5. Louis Collins (?) (3)
6. Fair Ellender (?) (2+)
7. Jackaroo (?) (3)
8. Casey Jones (?) (3) (not the same as the Dead song by the same name)
9. Dreadful Wind and Rain (?) (3)
10. I Truly Understand (?) (2+)
11. The Handsome Cabin Boy (?) (2)
12. Whiskey in the Jar (4+)
13. Down in the Valley (?) (2+)
14. Hesitation Blues (?) (4)

REVIEW: An album completely comprised of traditional songs. Interesting--never heard anything from it before. Might be worth a listen. A 0 for unfamiliarity.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 10:31:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2008 10:36:33 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Thank you for noticing, Mark! Unfortunately it can become somewhat of an annoying habit. Just as well there isn't a symbol/ motif to signify 'rolling of the eyes' as there is for smiley faces and winks!

882. Between the Buttons/Rolling Stones.

I did the sample track method last night but was too tired to review so from memory.........there were a few good classics in amongst this set. I feel tempted to rate this album higher just because y'know, it's 'The Stones' 'n all, but have decided to give them 7/10 for the time being. I felt like some of the tracks were fillers or B sides which in itself usually is quite a treat but not in this case. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I should start an 'another listen' category and this would certainly be included in that one. I can see now how Mark would rate some songs as 0 if he's not familiar with them especially based on such an insufficient sample. The musical arrangements/voices/timing are so important especially on first impression. The fact that I've had numerous 'surprises' with several tracks that I've heard before but hadn't really given them a chance for whatever reason, signifies to me the importance of physical/emotional/psychological states of the listener ie location/environment/mood/focus and other uncontrollable variables.

So far, however, enjoying this journey immensely.
Happy listening.
x

p.s. just thought I'd include the following as I found it quite amusing.

This is a true story with an excellent outcome.

On Thursday, 24th January 2002, Derek Guille broadcast this story on his afternoon program on ABC radio.

In March 1999 a man living in Kandos (near Mudgee in NSW) received a bill for his as yet unused gas line stating that he owed $0.00.

He ignored it and threw it away. In April he received another bill and threw that one away too.

The following month the gas company sent him a very nasty note stating that they were going to cancel his gas line if he didn't send them $0.00 by return mail.

He called them, talked to them, and they said it was a computer error and they would take care of it.

The following month he decided that it was about time that he tried out the troublesome gas line figuring that if there was usage on the account it would put an end to this ridiculous predicament.

However, when he went to use the gas, it had been cut off.

He called the gas company who apologised for the computer error once again and said that they would take care of it. The next day he got a bill for $0.00 stating that payment was now overdue.

Assuming that having spoken to them the previous day the latest bill was yet another mistake, he ignored it, trusting that the company would be as good as their word and sort the problem out.

The next month he got a bill for $0.00. This bill also stated that he had 10 days to pay his account or the company would have to take steps to recover the debt.

Finally, giving in, he thought he would beat the gas company at their own game and mailed them a cheque for $0.00. The computer duly processed his account and returned a statement to the effect that he now owed the gas company nothing at all.

A week later, the manager of the Mudgee branch of the Westpac Banking Corporation called our hapless friend and asked him what he was doing writing cheque for $0.00.

After a lengthy explanation the bank manager replied that the $0.00 cheque had caused their cheque processing software to fail. The bank could therefore not process ANY cheques they had received from ANY of their customers that day because the cheque for $0.00 had caused the computer to crash.

The following month the man received a letter from the gas company claiming that his cheque had bounced and that he now owed them $0.00 and unless he sent a cheque by return mail they would take immediate steps to recover the debt.

At this point, the man decided to file a debt harassment claim against the gas company. It took him nearly two hours to convince the clerks at the local courthouse that he was not joking.

They subsequently helped him in the drafting of statements which were considered substantive evidence of the aggravation and difficulties he had been forced to endure during this debacle.

The matter was heard in the Magistrate's Court in Mudgee and the outcome was this:

The gas company was ordered to:

[1] Immediately rectify their computerized accounts system or Show Cause, within 10 days, why the matter should not be referred to a higher court for consideration under Company Law.

[2] Pay the bank dishonor fees incurred by the man.

[3] Pay the bank dishonor fees incurred by all the Westpac clients whose cheques had been bounced on the day our friend's had been processed.

[4] Pay the claimant's court costs; and

[5] Pay the claimant a total of $1500 per month for the 5 month period March to July inclusive as compensation for the aggravation they had caused their client to suffer.

And all this over $0.00.

This story can also be viewed on the ABC website.

Who employs these idiots??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 11:42:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2008 11:48:35 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lex:

That was a good one. I have one that is not close to being as ridiculous but still showing how bureaucracies can work....

I was in the Army and one of my duties as a Supply Sergeant was to prepare our unit's Material Readiness Report which measured the unit's readiness for combat. (There was no actual combat going on but being in Korea (or Thailand....I can't remember which, we were close to combat (either N. Korea or Vietnam) and such things had to be factored. So, I would systematically get reports from mechanics and motor pool personnel as to the readiness of each piece of combat and other support equipment and give them a rating of green, amber or red. Let's say, for purposes of this story, that an 85% readiness of all equipment was "Green", a 75% was amber and a below 70% was red. Red meant that the unit was, categorically, NOT ready for combat.

So, because of supply problems and aged vehicles and equipment, we often wound up as an amber or red unit. This was frowned upon by our higher headquarters. I assumed they'd either get over it or make an effort to correct the problems with supply of repair parts, replacement of older equipment, etc.

Nah. The Army had a better way and a much cheaper way as long as this exercise was ONLY an exercise and not the real thing. They published a revised memorandum on "Material Readiness Reports" (yes, they actually had the balls to put it in writing) telling us that 8 out of 10 ready vehicles was no longer 80% but 90%. 6 out of 10 was NOT 60% readiness but 80%. 4 out of 10 was no longer the dreaded 40% but rather 70%. Yes, the Army had come up with their own "new math". And, not suprisingly, our readiness went sky high. I think we even got a commendation letter from our Headquarters for moving our unit from the dreaded "red" region to a steady "Green".

Sometimes I miss the Army. They were such putzes.

ed.

ps. In Korea, I worked for a Major who was quite a character. He was black and married to a white woman (beautiful) and they owned a lucrative advertisiing firm in California. For spite, he'd piss off all the racist officers by periodically showing home movies of his wife. Anyway, once, on a field maneuver, we were in the midst of a war game and a captain came up to the major and asked him if it was ok for him to change the "destroyed" sign off a strategic piece of equipment and replace it with a "repairable" sign. The Major looked at him for a minute or so and then said, in the words of an officer and a gentleman, "Captain, suck my d***". Crude, yes, but quite apropos to someone who didn't understand the "war game" at all. Unfortunately, while I was sent to Vietnam on temporary duty, this Major had the bad taste to look up my fiancee to give her moral support during my absence and "hit on her". Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to tell HIM to "suck my d" (and probably wind up in the slammer) because he'd rotated home by the time I returned to Korea. Needless to say, I did NOT write him about his standing offer for a nice job with his firm when I left the service.

Ah, memories.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 3:49:17 AM PDT
Enjoyed reading your stuff E.Dill. I have never entered one of these online discussions before but i'm such a musichead from way back that i can't resist sharing my tastes. Just hope i don't mess up the system 'cos i can't keep track of where this list is up to - pun intended.

I'D rather share something a little obscure. A few people know the name Steve Forbert but not the music or the spirit of the man. His 70's debut " Alive on Arrival " is a remarkable debut for a 20 year southern states boy from the sticks. For me the best wordsmith of his generation with a voice and melodies to back up his shrewd observations of real life and the human condition. His best album 'cos of the variety of subjects covered. Many of us romantics have dreamed of " Going down to Laurel ", visiting that girl in the dirty, stinking town . She's a fool for loving us " but she's in love and love's a funny state of mind ". We've all made life plans and then realized that some things can't be planned. Steve reassures us that we're not the only ones to get muddled and perhaps we're best off taking it day by day and trying to read and follow the signs as they arise rather than draw our own life map and expect to follow it perfectly without getting lost. This was powerful stuff for a 19 year old listener and now at 50 i probably appreciate his sentiments and wisdom even more. He was the kid who mused that " They say life is strange.........but compared to what."
I could go on all day. Enough to say that all of his albums are interesting but strangely the first seems the most balanced. Hope i've managed to inspire a few of you to give him a listen.
Neil

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 4:28:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2008 4:31:48 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Hi Neil, welcome aboard. Ed's our resident music guru. If you have read previous posts you would know how informative and entertaining this thread (and others) is. I have saved some for future reference.

I'm sure Mark, Ed, Val and other regulars would welcome your input in rating the 897 greatest albums if you are at all interested. The website is: http://wtmd.blogspot.com/2008/01/wtmds-897-greatest-albums-of-all-time.html. Happy listening.

On a different note now, I am posting Box 5 of Vinyl LP's in my collection.

John Foxx The Garden
Three Dog Night Hard Labor
Little River Band After Hours
Tommy Roe Dizzy
Manfred Mann's Earth Band The Good Earth
Billy Joel Streetlife Serenade
Rick Nelson The Singles Album 1963-1976
John Prine Prime Prine - The Best of
Linda Ronstadt Back in the USA
Doug Ashdown Trees
Sharon O'Neill Foreign Affairs
Bonnie Raitt The Glow
Nazareth No Mean City
Tim Krekel Crazy me
Mickey Jupp Long Distance Romancer
Kenny Loggins Celebrate Me Home
Frankie Miller Easy Money
Shona Laing Shooting Stars Are Only Seen At Night
Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees
Tommy James Self Titled
Dave Mason Let it Flow
Grand Funk Shinin' On
John J Francis Breaks, Works & Thoughts
Juice Newton & Silver Spur After the Dust Settles
Leon Berger Self Titled
Link Wray Beans and Fatback
Henry Gross Release
John Martyn London Conversation
Ian Thomas Band Still Here
Compilation 20 Explosive Hits
Outlaws Lady in Waiting
Compilation Disco Explosion Vol 2
Delbert McClinton Keeper of the Flame
Phoebe Snow Against the Grain
Al Stewart Modern Times
Long John Baldry Baldry's Out
Roderick Falconer New Nation
Anne Kirkpatrick Down Home
Roxy Music Avalon
Linda Ronstadt Hasten Down the Wind
Gordon Lightfoot Cold on the Shoulder
Sammy Hagar Self Titled
Lou Reed Rock'n'Roll Heart
Eno/Phil Manzanera et al 801 Live
The Hollies Hollies' Greatest Hits/vol 2
Bill Wyman Monkey Grip
James Taylor JT
David Gilmore Self Titled
Bonnie Bramlett Memories
Frankie Miller High Life
Nils Lofgren I came to dance
Kenny Rogers The Best of
The Rascals In Retrospect 1966-1969
Compilation Chartstoppers Vol 3
Dave Edmunds Repeat When Necessary
Linda Ronstadt Greatest Hits
Country Joe McDonald Paris Sessions
John Hall Power
Jorma Kaukonen Quah
Terry Reid River
Rick Cunha Songs
Dr Hook Bankrupt
Pearls Before Swine One Nation Underground
Jona Lewie Heart Skips Beat
Rick Springfield Best of
Mike Oldfield QE2
Murray McLauchlan Day to Day Dust
The Mamas & the Papas Self titled
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 156 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 Aug 29, 2014
MusicDishTV Review: "Hello" Music Video By K-Syran 0 1 day ago
Summer In The City Gets A Little Hotter With Uptempo Pop Romp 0 4 days ago
Name 10 Song Titles Part 4 992 4 days ago
Has the soft rock radio stations changed the variety of music? 30 5 days ago
Favorite radio station growing up and why 105 5 days ago
Most underrated guitar player in rock history... 1087 17 days ago
Best live rock album? 41 18 days ago
DigitalRadioTracker.com Simplifies Broadcast Monitoring Worldwide 0 19 days ago
Most overrated solo singer/ artist of all time? 242 21 days ago
George Nash Jr. Launches New Music Company To Support Peace And Healing 0 27 days ago
Anita Ward Returns To Celebrate Pride 2016 With Empowering Dance Anthem 0 Jul 7, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3893
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions