Your Garage Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bands from Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3326-3350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:01:27 AM PDT
Steve K says:
Hi all,..... this from The Audreys website,

Howdy folks. Spring has well and truly sprung, and we've got news! We're busy writing a fourth record. That's right, four albums, who'd a thunk it hey? Pop along to our facebook and twitter to see some pics from our writing sessions. So far you can expect the usual broken-hearted ballads and whiskey-soaked torch songs. Plus a little raunch, of course.

We'll be road-testing these songs over the coming months - we wanna make sure y'all like 'em before we commit them to wax. So expect some gig announcements really soon.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 4:51:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 4:53:33 AM PDT
Steve K says:
Gday all !... The ARIA nominations for 2012 are in. Heres some details:

With only eight weeks to go until the 26th ARIA Awards, the annual celebration of the success of Australian music at home, nominees have been announced for all the categories along with the details of the gala event held in Sydney on Thursday 29th November 2012.

This years nominations are an exciting mix of both new and established artists with multi-award winning, quick witted Melbourne rapper 360 leading the way with 6 nominations including Album Of The Year and Best Urban Album nods for Falling & Flying.

He is also nominated in the categories of Best Australian Live Act, Breakthrough Artist 每 Release and Best Male Artist, and his collaboration with Gossling for Boys Like You is one of ten nominees up for Song Of The Year.

Following close behind with 5 nominations are The Jezabels who are also up for a number of AIR Awards, and of course Gotye, capping off a huge year for the Melbourne-based artist who was catapulted onto the worlds stage following the runaway success of his single &Somebody That I Used To Know.

Gotyes five nominations include Album Of The Year, and Best Pop Release for Making Mirrors, as well as nominations for Best Australian Live Act and Best Male Artist.

This years ARIA Awards cap off an impressive year for the Australian Recording Industry. Since last years ARIA Awards, there have been six Australian Singles and eight Australian albums at #1, and Australian artists have spent a combined total of 19 weeks at the top of the ARIA Singles Chart and 16 weeks on the ARIA Album Chart.

There have also been 83 Australian singles, albums and DVDs awarded gold, platinum or multi-platinum status and 48 individual Australian artists were accredited gold, platinum or multi-platinum status.

Winners of the three ARIA Artisan Award categories and four ARIA Fine Arts categories were also announced at the nomination ceremony 每 the first of many artists to be acknowledged by their peers for their creative contributions over the last 12 months.

In the Fine Arts Awards, William Barton won Best Classical Album for Kalkadungu, Sarah McKenzie won Best Jazz Album for Close Your Eyes, Joseph Tawadros won Best World Music Album for Concerts of the Greater Sea, and even triple j picked up an award for Best Original Soundtrack/Cast/Show Album for triple js Tribute To Nick Cave .

In the Artisan Awards, Gotyes father Frank De Backer won Best Cover Art for his work on Gotyes Making Mirrors, whilst the engineer for the Making Mirrors, Francois Tetaz, won Engineer Of The Year, and Styalz Fuego won Producer Of The Year for 360s Falling & Flying.

In other exciting news the first of the performance slots were also announced today with 360, Hilltop Hoods, Jessica Mauboy, The Jezabels and The Temper Trap all confirmed to hit the stage at the ARIA Awards ceremony.

The 2012 ARIA Awards will again give Australian music fans the chance to have their say in who takes home an ARIA Award, with four publicly voted awards, including Song Of The Year, Best International Artist, Best Australian Live Act, and Best Video.

Stay tuned for further announcements of performers, presenters and hosts for the 26th annual ARIA Awards in coming weeks. There will also be an announcement on ARIA WEEK, a new initiative that will continue to support and celebrate the Australian Music Industry.

2012 ARIA AWARD NOMINEES

Album of the Year
360 每 Falling & Flying (Soulmate/EMI)
Gotye 每 Making Mirrors (Samples &n* Seconds Records / Eleven: A Music Company/Universal Music Australia)
Missy Higgins 每 The Ol* Razzle Dazze (Eleven: A Music Company / Universal Music Australia)
The Jezabels 每 Prisoner (The Jezabels / MGM)
The Temper Trap 每 The Temper Trap (Liberation Music)

Best Male Artist
360 每 Falling & Flying (Soulmate / EMI)
Angus Stone 每 Broken Brights (Capitol / EMI)
Gotye 每 Making Mirrors (Samples &n* Seconds Records / Eleven: A Music Company/Universal Music Australia)
Guy Sebastian 每 Battle Scars (Sony Music)
Keith Urban 每 For You (Capitol / EMI)
Matt Corby 每 Into The Flame (Mercury / UMA)

Best Female Artist
Jessica Mauboy 每 Gotcha (Sony Music)
Kimbra 每 Vows (Warner Music Australia)
Lanie Lane 每 To The Horse (Ivy League Records)
Missy Higgins 每 The Ol* Razzle Dazzle (Eleven: A Music Company / Universal Music Australia)
Washington 每 Insomnia (Mercury / UMA)

Best Group
Boy & Bear 每 Big Man (Island/UMA)
Cold Chisel 每 No Plans (Warner Music Australia)
Hilltop Hoods 每 Drinking From The Sun (Island/UMA)

Breakthrough Artist 每 Release
Alpine 每 A Is For Alpine (Ivy League Records)
Lanie Lane 每 To The Horses (Ivy League Records)
Matt Corby 每 Brother (Mercury / UMA)
San Cisco 每 Awkward (Island City Records / MGM)

Best Independent Release
Dappled Cities 每 Lake Air (Hub The Label / Inertia)
Katie Noonan and Karin Schaupp 每 Songs of the Southern Skies (Kin Music)
The Bamboos 每 Medicine Man (Inertia Recordings)

Best Adult Contemporary Album
Darren Hayes 每 Secret Codes And Battleships (Mercury / UMA)
Husky 每 Forever So (Liberation Music)
Josh Pyke 每 Only Sparrows (Ivy League Records)
Katie Noonan and Karin Schaupp 每 Songs of the Southern Skies (Kin Music)
Missy Higgins 每 The Ol* Razzle Dazzle (Eleven: A Music Company / Universal Music Australia)

Best Blues & Roots Album
Angus Stone 每 Broken Brights (Capitol / EMI)
Jeff Lang 每 Carried In Mind (ABC Music)
Lanie Lane 每 To The Horses (Ivy League Records)
Mia Dyson 每 The Moment (Black Door Records / MGM)
Paul Green & The Other Colours 每 Behind The Stars (ABC Music)

Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album
Buried In Verona 每 Notorious (UNFD / Warner)
DZ Deathrays 每 Bloodstreams (I OH YOU/Illusive Sounds)
Frenzal Rhomb 每 Smoko at the Pet Food Factory (How much did I pay for this record? )
House Vs Hurricane 每 Crooked Teeth (UNFD / Warner)
Sleepmakeswaves 每 #and so we destroyed everything (Birds Robe Records / GREEN)

Best Pop Release
Guy Sebastian 每 Battle Scars (Sony Music)
Jessica Mauboy 每 Gotcha (Sony Music)
Kimbra 每 Vows (Warner Music Australia)

Best Rock Album
Children Collide 每 Monument (UMA)
Cold Chisel 每 No Plans (Warner Music Australia)
Oh Mercy 每 Deep Heat (EMI)

Best Urban Album
Hilltop Hoods 每 Drinking From The Sun (Golden Era/Island/UMA)
Katalyst 每 Deep Impressions (Invada / Remote Control Records)
The Bamboos 每 Medicine Man (Inertia Recordings)
The Herd 每 Future Shade (Elefant Traks / Inertia)

Best Children*s Album
Bananas In Pyjamas 每 Playtime (ABC Music)
dirtgirlworld 每 dirtgirl rocks the planet (kidindy)
Hi-5 每 Sing It Loud (Sony Music)
Rhys Muldoon 每 I*m Not Singing (ABC Music)
The Wiggles 每 Surfer Jeff (ABC Music)

Best Comedy Release
Anthony Salame 每 Is This thing On? (Punchline Comedy)
Arj Barker 每 Joy Harvest (Punchline Comedy)
Buddy Goode 每 Unappropriate (ABC Music)
Sammy J 每 Skinny Man, Modern World (Words And Music Entertainment/Buxstock)
The Beards 每 Having A Beard Is The New Not Having A Beard (MGM)

Best Country Album
Beccy Cole 每 Songs and Pictures (Sony Music)
Catherine Britt 每 Always Never Enough (ABC Music)
McAlister Kemp 每 Country Proud (ABC Music)
The McClymonts 每 Two Worlds Collide (UMA)
Troy Cassar-Daley 每 Home (Liberation Music)

Best Dance Release
Havana Brown 每 When The Lights Go Out (Island/UMA)
Hermitude 每 Hyperparadise (Elefant Traks / Inertia)
Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl feat. Georgi Kay 每 In My Mind (Neon Records)
Knife Party 每 Rage Valley (Earstorm / Neon Records / Warner Music Australia)
Sneaky Sound System 每 From Here To Anywhere (Modular Recordings)

Cheers all, Steve :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 7:27:48 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Thanks for all that info Steve. I think I buy my fair share of Aussie music but somehow the stuff I buy hardly ever winds up being ARIA nominated. Must be my lousy taste. Of the nominations, I have The Jezabels' "Prisoner" (thanks Steve) and Darren Hayes' "Secret Codes And Battleships" (thanks Pete at work). I will probably buy the new albums by Charles Jenkins ("Love Your Crooked Neighbour with Your Crooked Heart") who I think is close to the best male voice in Oz plus makes some of the best music, and also the new one from Henry Wagons, "Expecting Company?", which features guests like Alison Mosshart (The Kills, Dead Weather), Sophia Brous (Brous), Canada's Jenn Grant, Robert Forster (The Go-Betweens), Patience Hodgson (The Grates) and Gosling. I've already bought the new Tim Rogers - "Rogers Sings Rogerstein". And here's betting none of them are nominated in next year's ARIAs.

By the way, did anyone catch 360 on a recent episode of Rockwiz? While he was quite charming, I got the impression he is a well-educated lad from a good suburb and that a lot of his swearing was purely for effect. Don't have any of his stuff but I will always love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3X38hhr4a4&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:01:39 AM PDT
R. Fenick says:
huxton creepers...they sound liek hoodoo gurus. The obvious one you forgot was "The Church"...they are the top of the Aussie

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:58:08 AM PDT
Steve K says:
HI Val ,4.30am ..I can't sleep...nice to hear from you ...from that lot above I will be sending you the new Temper Trap and the new Katie Noonan (still have to buy that one yet ).
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 12:00:39 PM PDT
Steve K says:
Hi R Fenick!

Yep the Church are there, however Huxton Creepers aren't of course so I've added them for you. ..cheers!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:16:12 PM PST
Alexis says:
A note to Val.......

I was looking for some music to listen to while doing a little cooking etc. Remembered you had sent me some unidentified discs quite some time ago. I had heard (1) ages ago which was Lisa Miller, of course, and I loved it. I picked up no (2) today and incorrectly guessed it as Angie Hart. I was itching to insert the disc into computer to find out who it was but I listened till the end. Suzie Dickinson. Absolutely ethereal. Loved it. Sorry it has taken so long to get to it. Thank you so so much. xoxxo

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 10:02:30 PM PST
Val H. says:
Hi Lex - just saw your post. I'm glad it you enjoyed Suzie Dickinson. I think I heard the title track ("19 Steps") on the radio and thought, that's my kind of music, so I went into Basement Discs and bought it. That would be about two and a half years ago. I have started keeping records of what I've sent so I know I sent you these in one batch:

1) Car Tape 2 - Lisa Miller
2) 19 Steps - Suzie Dickinson
3) Love Is The Way - Eddi Reader
4) Births, Deaths & Marriages - Sally Ford
5) Everlasting - Rebecca Barnard
6) 12 Golden Greats - The Junes

So let me know what you think of the others when you get to them. The Junes are great fun. Now I'm going to have to find my Suzie Dickinson and give her another spin.

P.S. Hope the cooking went well.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:44:54 AM PST
Crikeydingo says:
I haven't read all of this so if it hasn't been metioned yet there is a website called milesago.com which has comprehensive details on Australian bands from the mid 60's to the mid 70's

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:26:53 PM PST
Alexis says:
Val, I have managed to listen to the discs 3-4 on your list. Eddi Reader I liked very much but didn't gel with me as much as Suzie did. I really liked a lot of the songs and a few were ok. Sally Ford - I liked most songs as well. Perhaps with another listen or two of both these albums I'll have a better idea of what I thought of their albums as a whole. Rebecca's Everlasting I loved, of course - every track, that is.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the Junes yet.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:28:19 PM PST
Alexis says:
I heard a live version of Lisa Mitchell's "Bless this Mess". This is the official music video which is also good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UeJkfNZik

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:36:22 PM PST
Val H. says:
Happy New Year Lex.

If anyone is interested in collecting Australian music posters (and some international acts too), Timewarp Records (seller id :
timewarprecords) have a heap on eBay starting at $1.95 plus $7.00 postage (Australia); $13.70 to the U.S.:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=160951934208&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_ssn=timewarprecords&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=poster&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:48:12 PM PST
Val H. says:
Australian albums I purchased in 2012:

Scorn Of The Women - Weddings Parties Anything (1987)
The Andrew Denton Breakfast Show Musical Challenge (2001)
Jiir - The Pigram Brothers (2002)
Get Out While You Can - Dan Sultan (2009)
New Start Again - Dick Diver (2011)
Rumble, Shake And Tumble - Wagons (2011)
Crooked Little Thoughts - The Black Sorrows (3 CD set) (2012)
Bran Nue Dae - OST (2010)
The Definitive Collection - Stevie Wright (2004)
Trophy Night - Best Of/Benched - Weddings Parties Anything (rare 2 CD Limited Edition) (1998)
Monday Morning Coming Down - Tex Don & Charlie (1995)
Collected - The Audreys (re-issue of their 3 albums Between Last Night & Us, When The Flood Comes and Sometimes The Stars (2012)
The City Gates - Charles Jenkins (2006)
Live From Union Of Soul - The Waifs (2009)
Rogers Sings Rogerstein -Tim Rogers (2012)
30 Years of Footy Songs - Greg Champion & The Coodabeen Champions (2CD) (2012)
Love Your Crooked Neighbour With Your Crooked Heart - Charles Jenkins (2012)
Spring and Fall - Paul Kelly (2012)
Expecting Company - Henry Wagons (2012)
Into The Bloodstream - Archie Roach (2012)
Trying To Get Home - Wagons (2003)
Anastasis - Dead Can Dance (2012)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 1:43:17 AM PST
Alexis says:
Great line up, Val.

I'm voting for JJJ Hottest 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRo8PaMVAQ

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSQ7ScJwJhk

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 12:26:14 PM PST
D. Duffey says:
You forgot Airbourne - A major Aussie kick-ass band that doesn't get any respect!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 12:44:52 PM PST
Alexis says:
Val I have Tim Rogers "Rogers sings Rogerstein" and I did make a copy for you. I think it was in that lost shipment. I know it's been over a year since that 'lost shipment' so I apologise for not duplicating those items. I don't remember what it was I sent you (perhaps some of them) and I don't know what you've acquired since then. I will try and get on to it over the next few weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 12:45:28 PM PST
Alexis says:
D. Duffey, I don't remember Airbourne at all.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:35:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:34:49 AM PST
Steve K says:
Hi all,

Thanks for keeping the thread alive... theres a pulse ! lol

Hey D Duffey I just had a listen to Airbourne...Like Lex I to had never heard of them but it seems theyve certainly made a name for themselves here and overseas so the future looks pretty good for them. They sound like the lovechild of Motley Crue and The Angels.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:38:44 AM PST
Val H. says:
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while but have a few snippets. Last week I went to see Of Monsters & Men and there were two Aussie support acts - Phebe Starr and Vance Joy. The former is a synth-pop singer who plays the keyboards accompanied by a bloke (also on keyboards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1xKHhrzpM

Vance Joy is a solo indie-pop singer, a bit out of the norm for Aussie singer-songwriters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QumD7sphpY
He has an EP out soon. I enjoyed both acts very much. I suspect both of them have been heard on Triple J so Lex may know of them.

Then last night at the awesome Barry Gibb gig, the opening act was another Triple J(?) act (and also appeared on The X Factor), Audio Vixen. They are two sisters and their brother who cite The Eagles and The Corrs as their influences. They sing fabulous harmonies - I only hope their sound isn't a bit too 70s/80s for today's audiences. It isn't easy to make an impression in a big stadium with a crowd waiting on a legend, but they won everyone over. Apparently Barry Gibb requested them as openers after he heard their recording of one of his songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGIwS-iOBIU
Apart from this one though, they sang a set of original songs and we were very impressed.

My recent Aussie album purchases are:

Blak & Blu - Kutcha Edwards
Warm In The Darkness - Liz Stringer
Sea Of Lights - Suzannah Espie
For The Love Of God! - Tripod

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:54:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 1:55:03 AM PST
Steve K says:
Hi all,

Ive been listening to the new Sarah Blasko album this weekend "I Awake". I just felt I had to post this here as Im super impressed with this one.
I was going to try to write a review but Ill just let the songs speak for themselves. You probably wont hear any of these songs on the radio... but then again radio never does play any of the good stuff, does it?

I Awake
http://youtu.be/LD137cd7Cw0

All of Me
http://youtu.be/uoVBPHxTes8

God Fearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhCUBAK0Lg

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 6:23:13 PM PST
Alexis says:
Thanks for that Steve. Haven't had a chance to check out those links but will do. Also big thanks for that link to stream the new Birds of Tokyo album. That's a good way to sample it. I also should check in to Guvera to up my points a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:16:27 AM PST
Steve K says:
No worries Lex,

Just a point on guvera. Did you know when they offer you credits for posting to your facebook account you actually dont have to go all the way to completing the posting in order to get the credits? Meaning when the box or new tab appears for you to "Say something about guvera" on your FB page.. you can just close the tab and your new credits will already be there. This will save you having to worry about constant guvera adds on your FB page. God, if I followed thru on them all my page would be a disaster lol. So in essence what Im saying is once you click the credits box you automatically recieve them, regardless of what guvera asks you to do.

Ive 351 credits on hold, Joy has 209 lol. :)

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 2:55:47 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Rockwiz duet, James Reyne & Amaya Laurcirica singing Woody Guthrie's "California Stars"......doesn't get much better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWS6R9uKVXE

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:13:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 3:19:11 PM PDT
Alexis says:
night #2 on the airwaves:

1. Nantes - Fly
2. Ball Park Music - Coming Down
3. Austen Tayshus - Australiana
4. Cloud Control - Gold Canary
5. Ladyhawke - Black & White & Blue (ok, ok, she's from NZ...... "close enough".... etc)
6. Ball Park Music - Ghost Story
7. British India - Vanilla
8. Yetis - Bright Red
9. Howling Bells - Blessed Night
10. Xavier Rudd - Follow the sun
11. City Calm Down - Sense of Self
12. Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
13. Nick Cave - The Weeping Song
14. The Rubens - The Best We Got
15. Nick Cave - Red Right Hand
16. Rebecca's Empire - Empty.

Val, I know what you're thinking....no Paul Kelly, no Colin Hay, no Mark Seymour, Tex Perkins, Tim Rogers etc etc etc. They were on some list...maybe ANZAC day I'll do an Australian/ New Zealand tribute. That's if they'll have me back.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:26:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 3:29:22 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, what do you know about Amaya Laurcirica? I just love that whole Hope Sandoval (sp?) vibe she has going. Apparently she was touring with Adalita (who was a long time idol of hers way back when Adalita was with Magic Dirt).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers