Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6676-6700 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012, 3:55:04 PM PST
Alexis says:
T-Rex, I'll try and remember to check The Fresh & Onlys out.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012, 4:12:47 PM PST
D. Taylor says:
I just fell in love with Mumford & Sons. I have no idea how many guitars they play at once, but it's pretty awesome. Just spent the last day learning "The Cave." If you don't know these guys (I was out of the country during their debut, so that's my excuse), look them up.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012, 4:44:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012, 5:10:16 PM PST
E. Dill says:
I've been having trouble coming up with my Top 10 (or 50) for the year 2012. I actually thought I'd finish a decent one by the time the year ended for a change.

Anyway, it would help if I didn't keep adding to the collection with another one to assess. That one, tonight, is Ry Cooder's "Election Special". I mean, I got a kick out of the opening track, "Mutt Romney Blues". No, it wasn't just the infamous Romney/Dog incident but the song itself. But the next one really blew me away. "Brother is Gone". I could listen to that one over and over again.

So, add it to the neverending pile. And I scoff at those who suggest that good music ended in the 1960's. So did their hearing. (Just kidding....like and dislike what you wish.)

Kick it Ry.

ed.

ps. BTW, on a sad note, I had our dog, Zoe put to sleep this morning. I've been struggling for awhile. I mean, how does one assess "quality of life" issues with animals? I remembered as if it was yesterday, the night I was sitting in the family room watching tv when I heard an animal cry out. I thought it was a dog (we have an acre behind our house) but peeked out the backdoor and saw and heard nothing. The next morning, I went out to my government car and distinctly heard a dog squeaking under it. I won't get into all the details (involving a weird woman who had an ad in our local paper about a missing dog, came to our house when I called her and promptly got bit while trying to pull her out from behind my car by a leg, then seemed to blame me...she left bruised but without the dog). Since Rachel and Hannah (age, maybe 3) were flying to NYC the next day, we decided to take it to a local vet and have it checked out (he didn't look good....) while they were in NY and then decide what to do after they came home. Ultimately, we kept her....the vet said she was near death when he found her. She became a beautiful addition to our family. Strangly, the dog we'd had for 8 years, was very ill and we didn't know it yet. As I recall, Jacob died within months of Zoe's addition. He had tumor and the prognosis of a successful operation was deemed about 10%. We declined and kept him comfortable until his death. Rachel was amazing with him during this time. So Jacob died and Zoe thrived. I kept saying she was going on 13 years old but it turns out it was more like 16+. She was mostly blind and mostly deaf and couldn't walk....I'd been carrying her outside twice a day to do her business in our yard. I'd sit her down and she'd stand ok as long as I physically separated her back legs sufficiently. She began showing signs of incontinence and other behaviors that seemed odd, i.e. in the past week, she'd almost shredded the mattress cover on the bed she slept on by tearing it apart with her teeth. She also seemed labored with breathing at night and barked sometimes for unknown reasons. She didn't seem to be in any enormous pain but her life was being carried outside twice to do her business, eat/drink and lay on the bed and sleep. I finally decided to let her go. I had her cremated so I can put her ashes in our backyard. We've already buried a few cats back there over the years. And that, as they say, is the tale of our beloved Zoe. Two cats and a bird....that's our present animal population. I'm done. No new additions.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012, 6:21:18 AM PST
Val H. says:
Hi Ed,

Good to hear from you. I'm loving a heap of albums from this year and would be hard pressed to come up with any ratings system.

Some of my favourites:
The Bravest Man in the Universe - Bobby Womack
Anastasis - Dead Can Dance
Orkney: Symphony of the Magnetic North - The Magnetic North
Mid Air - Paul Buchanan
My Head Is an Animal - Of Monsters And Men
Words and Music - Saint Etienne
Standing at the Sky's Edge - Richard Hawley
Tinsel And Lights - Tracey Thorn
The Lumineers - The Lumineers
Port of Morrow - The Shins
Little Mountain - Said The Whale
Privateering - Mark Knopfler
Mirage Rock - Band of Horses
Tempest - Bob Dylan
One Day I'm Going To Soar - Dexys
The Odessa Tapes - The Flatlanders
This New Morning - Luka Bloom
That's Why God Made the Radio - The Beach Boys
Kisses On The Bottom - Paul McCartney
Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes

Australian releases:
Love Your Crooked Neighbour With Your Crooked Heart - Charles Jenkins
Spring and Fall - Paul Kelly
Expecting Company - Henry Wagons
Into The Bloodstream - Archie Roach
Hurtsville - Jack Ladder
Crooked Little Thoughts - The Black Sorrows (3 CD set)
Rogers Sings Rogerstein - Tim Rogers

P.S. Sad to hear you've lost your old friend Zoe. I've been there and it's never easy but at least we know we've done our best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012, 8:43:00 AM PST
D. Taylor says:
I think these are the only 2012 release I enjoyed:
The Shins - Port of Morrow
Super upbeat, I like the electronics. It's a new sound for them, but Mercer fired half the band before this album. Same weird lyrics though.

Jack White - Blunderbuss
Best album I've heard in many a moon. White keeps his original punk feel with 16 Saltines and a couple others, but others ("Love Interruption" and "On and On and On" and especially "Take Me With You When You Go") show him in a completely new light. I hope he does more like those.

Muse - The 2nd Law
Loud and different from their earlier stuff. Clearly taking inspiration from 80s dance music and Skrillex. Still not sure what I think, but some songs are just awesome.

Grizzly Bear - Shields
Their strongest and most accessible album yet, and they managed to make it radio-friendly without dumbing down their professionalism. Very polished.

Wilco - The Whole Love
One of Wilco's best albums yet. Still can't beat "Impossible Germany", but "Art of Almost" and a couple others come close.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012, 9:22:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012, 10:51:48 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Lots of mentions of Port of Morrow by the Shins and I agree. As good as the stellar first two. Mercer and AC Newman are nearly peerless as pop song writers.

I don't know about you but I find it difficult as a regular citizen, albeit a slightly obsessive music fan, to come up with a "best of year" list. The professional reviewers are sent albums for free and it's their job to listen. I'm fortunate enough to have a generous library with abundant if scattered music releases and a 45 minute commute to listen as I maneuver defensively through psychotic traffic. I might be able to give my full attention to one or two CDs on average per week, sometimes more and often less. I'm cursed with a bad memory however. Something that might have really grabbed me last February might have been imprinted onto brain cells that were wiped clean by combination of time and alcohol.
Another issue is that I listen to something for the first time and it is really impressive but I realize it's from 2011 or earlier. F&*#ed Up's 'David Comes to Life' is an example.
Sooooo ...
I need to review my library records in the next few days to see if I can recall what I liked.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012, 1:35:26 PM PST
Val H. says:
Daniel - I think you came up with a very succinct list and I wouldn't mind betting your thoughts are echoed by many of the "professional" lists we are likely to see soon.

If you are taken with Mumford & Sons, and enjoy the "modern indie folk" genre (for want of a better term), may I suggest you check out The Lumineers, from Denver, Co. (either via Youtube or your local library). And while you're there, have a look at Of Monsters and Men, from Iceland, and The Magnetic North, UK band formed by Simon Tong (of The Verve, Blur and The Good, the Bad & the Queen) and Gawain Erland Cooper (of Erland and the Carnival - love them!). They may just be up your street.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012, 1:52:34 PM PST
Val H. says:
Tim-R - I know what you say about "the blur" of recording dates and early releases. I'm anal enough to keep a simple word document of album titles with year of release and year of my purchase. None of us have mentioned Neil Young yet and I'm sure he'll be in most lists this year. I haven't listened to it yet and will admit to being slightly challenged by the track lengths. Another one I haven't heard is the new Willy Mason (I saw him supporting Mumfords this year - although for me, the show was stolen by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros) - I've heard good reports of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012, 5:45:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012, 5:50:32 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Valerie:

The ones you listed (non-Australian) that I haven't heard are:

Magnetic North, Paul Buchanan, Tracey Thorn (how did I miss THAT....I have a thing for her), The Lumineers (on order but I could hear it on youtube...I think I will), Said the Whale, Mark K., Dexy's, Flatlanders (is it new or a collection...I was trying to remember if they're all still alive), Luka Bloom and Paul (I always seem to be slow with Paul's albums...I don't want to expect too much)

BTW, I have the Of Monsters and Men album...it was released here in 2011. I saw them yesterday or the day before on some night show....Conan? Good stuff.

On Aussie stuff, have you heard or heard of Allo Darlin. I've got both of their albums. I like her voice. One of the sites list their music as "twee pop". I'm not sure I'd go that far.

@D. Taylor: Wilco was released in 2011 here.

@Timot-Rex: There seemed to have been 2 or 3 (or more) albums that came out in a 2 or 3 year period (or maybe I was slow on the uptake) with the F word in the band's name. I can't remember now how many I have. One of them is quite electronic and experimental and I like their sound a lot. I just refer to them as the "F band" which doesn't clarify things at all anymore.

I remember back before the "f bands" when our library wasn't set up for home computer access to the catalog. I'd go to the library and ask the librarian if she'd rattle off some names of artists/albums I'd already ordered (I'd usually have 100+ on order so I did say "a few".). One day she began listing some and said, with such a serious tone, "The Butthole Surfers" that I burst out laughing. I wonder what I'd have done (or she) if it had been one of the "f bands"? I mean, even back in the olden days, we had bands like "Kissing the Pink", "Throbbing Gristle", "The Slits", A*** C*** (even I didn't like that one!).....

ed

Posted on Dec 13, 2012, 6:07:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012, 8:58:34 PM PST
E. Dill says:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it almost impossible to come up with a list....even a list of 10 or 20 that are not in any order of preference.

On the 897 board, I suggested more than a few times to Mark that unlike him, I could tell with a first listen, usually, if I really liked or disliked an album/song. I still think that is kind of true but not as clear cut as I'd said. I just had a few experiences last night with some albums I changed my mind about....

John Abercrombie - Within a Song (jazz guitarist) - I'd gone from love it to it's ok to love it with reservations in the last three listens.

Accept - Stalingrad(heavy metal) - It's still not one of my favorite genres of music but I listened more intently and got some fun out of it. I surely like some of the guitar riffs more than the vocals.

Actress - R.I.P. (IDM/Ambient) - I seemed to WANT to like it more. Maybe I've become a bit defensive over a lot of the criticism about electronic music. Unfortunately, this one IS a bit of a disappointment.

Aesop Rock (Abstract Hip Hop) - I was very disappointed at first listen (they have a LOT of critics who love them....actually its a him). This time, even without reading those words that all hip hoppers are so proud of, I was quite taken by the beats.

I'll have to paste this onto the 897 board to let Mark know about how good I am at quick and lasting "assessments".

As for what I seem to be favoring so far:

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz (even a lot of their biggest fans thought this one wasn't one of their best....I just like them, period.
Alcest - Les Voyages... (French metal/shoegaze?)

Bahamas - Bar Chords
Band of Skulls - Sweet Sour (it's the male and female vocals that work so well together for me)
Beach House - Bloom
Big Pink - Future This

Calexico - Algiers
Carolina Chocolate Drops - Leaving Eden
Caspian - Walking Season
Neneh Cherry - the Cherry Thing
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Ry Cooder - Election Special

Deerhoof - Break Up Song
DIIV - Oshen
Dirty Projector - Swing Lo Magellan
Dirty Three - Toward the Low Sun
Dr. John - Locked Down
Bob Dylan - Tempest

Earth - Angels of Darkness v2

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

Grizzly Bear - Shields

The Hives - Lex Hives
Hot Chip - In Our Heads

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral
Liars - WIXIW
Lost in the Trees - a Church That Fits Our Needs

Janiva Magness - Stronger For It
Aimee Mann - Charmer
Mars Volta - Nocturniquet
Melvins - Freak Puke
Men - Open Your Heart
Metric - Synthetica
mewithoutyou - Ten Stories
Micachu & the Shapes - Never
Mission of Burma - Unsound

Nada Surf - the Stars....
Marissa Nadler - The Sister

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me
Of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks
Beth Orton - Sugaring Season

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
Ariel Pink/Haunted Graffiti - Mature Themes
A Place to Bury Strangers - Onwards to the Wall
Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful

Wendy Rene - After Laughter Comes Tears (I only had heard her on a couple of cuts on some obscure r&b collections. What a voice! This is a compilation)

Shearwater - Animal Joy
Shins - Point of Morrow
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Silversun Pickups - Neck of the woods
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
Spiritualized - Huh Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Swans - Seer

Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Tindersticks - the Something Rain
(I've only sampled Tame Impala....on order)

(Various) Chimes of Freedom - 4 discs of Dylan covers....
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

Jack White - Blunderbuss
Jim White - Where it Hits You (ok, I'm a real fan)

xx - Coexist

Yellow Ostrich - Strange Land

Another travesty. My short list wound up 60+ and I've forgotten some real contenders that I either haven't heard enough yet or at all. Someone asked me my Top Ten and then proceeded to give me his and it included at least 4 I'd never heard of. So much for keeping up. They were:

Guillemots - Hello Landi
Echolyn St
Anglagard - Viljans Oga
Big Big Train - English Electric

I listened to their stuff on youtube and they really ARE good! So much for my all inclusive lists base on my careful scrutiny of all things musical.

And I didn't mention Allo Darlin', an Aussie group that I've come to like, as I just mentioned on an earlier post. If they're "twee", than so am I.....at least sometimes.

Twee Ed

ps. Back to the drawing boards and 2012 and it's musical glories

pss. Besides showing my own weaknesses in listening once and knowing.....I also seem to have developed more of a "loyalty" to certain artists than I ever thought possible. I was the guy who always asked them to "show me what you got", not letting them rest on their past triumphs. It seems I've been quite positive about the new ones by such indie/experimental bands as "Animal Collective" and "Sigur Ros". All their critics and a lot of their fans are dismissing their new ones as being lesser efforts. I've listened to them and while I wouldn't place them atop their discography, there's enough of them there to please me. I even just gave another listen to Ian Anderson's TAAB 2 and while I love the first one, I'm not at all "offended" by the second by being a somewhat lesser effort. It was entertaining.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 5:03:10 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
This post will not 'add to the discussion.'

If you have a few moments this is a great little essay:

http://www.salon.com/2001/12/22/pottersville/

Posted on Dec 16, 2012, 9:54:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012, 8:56:14 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Some of the stuff I liked this year (in addition to ones already mentioned just recently):

the dBs - Falling Off the Sky = Because I'm sometimes a sentimental S.O.B. And holy crap it looks like Shoes has a new one too!

and out of the blue comes .... Redd Kross - Researching the Blues

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It My wife listens to it when its her turn in the car .. it grew on me

Metric - Sythetica ; they also had the Cosmopolis Soundtrack but that's kind of a sleepy-time CD.

Guided by Voices - half of "Class Clown Spots a UFO" and half of "Let's Go Eat the Factory" I haven't heard the third one from 2012 but it's safe to say half of that one too. Tobin Sprout deserves more credit.

Speaking of prolific ... Ty Segal - Slaughter-twins or something ... I forget

Tame Impala - the song "elephant" sounds like T-Rex's contribution to the Magical Mystery Tour.

alt-j - an awesome wave Just recently it's growing on me

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 10:22:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 11:00:05 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Standing in line at the Coffee Emporium this morning I hear an old familiar song start on the radio ...

"I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window
I saw the flickering shadows of love on her blind"

Next thing I know a loud obviously extroverted (homeless?) guy joins in on the chorus ...
"My, my, my, Delilah
Why, why, why, Delilah"

Ahhhh ... you have to love downtown Cincinnati. So what am I listening to now or recently? Crazy people singing Tom Jones.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 10:26:59 AM PST
D. Taylor says:
Not pop, but I found it's really relaxing to knit whilst blasting Beethoven's Symphonies. One day I shall complete a scarf. Until then it's just a vague dream.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012, 8:35:19 AM PST
E. Dill says:
I already posted this on a rock forum board.....I was crushed by the knowledge that Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon split up.....not only because I thought of them as the coolest couple in rock (is it ok to be 66 years old and referring to people as cool?) but because Sonic Youth is one of my favorite bands of all time. I was, ironically, I hope, trying to find a way to blame Yoko.....after all, we know she broke up the Beatles. Maybe a whirl with Mick and Keith?

"I am listening to Yokokimthurston by Ono/Gordon/Moore.

What I want to know is this......I just became aware of the fact that Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) have split up, at least as husband and wife. Whether they will continue to make music together is unknown to me.

What I DON'T know is how this breakup coincides with the making of this album I'm listening to. I mean, ok, SY has always been an experimental band. But as I sit here listening to the first track of possibily their last musical endeavor together, I'm fantasizing about a huge blow up between them over the making of it with Yoko in the middle, working on her grunts, groans and caterwauling...wait, now during the second track, they (the three of them) seem to be throwing out words and phrases randomly which, I'm sure, will be interpreted as having great symbolic meaning....yeah, this record could easily have broken their marriage apart. Who knows? Perhaps Thurston, who once was called the "coolest rock performer/writer with his equally cool wife" by me, got mesmerized by the Ono magic and went south with her leaving Kim to find her way back to reality. Or, it could have gone the other way, with Thurston the one left alone and lonely.

Oddly, with the hint of sarcasm here, I'm actually kind of enjoying this album so far. Yoko WAS a pre-punk avantgardist and if I had a choice between her doing this to doing one of her haiku lyrics, I'd take this......she's now breathing heavily (or is that Kim?) and Yoko is talking alot about fish......."

ed

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 3:23:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 3:25:56 AM PST
Alexis says:
Good to see this thread is still kicking @$$ !!!! At present I have 15 posts to read through. Currently I'm listening to Suzie Dickinson '19 Steps' for the umpteenth time and right this minute.....Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".....even though I can't seem to get past the 1st track "I am trying to break your heart"....it's on the 4th replay......

Hope you all had a kick @$$ Xmas.....and I have a good feeling about 2013.....putting it out there......love you guys xoxo.

Now back to what you all have been up to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 5:32:45 AM PST
Alexis says:
T-rex, I agree and relate with you on so many levels...
in particular....<<I'm cursed with a bad memory however. Something that might have really grabbed me last February might have been imprinted onto brain cells that were wiped clean by combination of time and alcohol. Another issue is that I listen to something for the first time and it is really impressive but I realize it's from 2011 or earlier. >>

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 6:40:45 AM PST
Val H. says:
What I'm up to: Just back from the best gig of 2013 to date - First Aid Kit. Actually, it wasn't that great a gig but it IS the best of 2013 until at least Jan 14 when I see David Byrne and St Vincent (I've seen them both on their own before and am expecting good things of them together). First Aid Kit are very sweet and have quite a funny line in patter but they're so pristine and, well, Swedish, that I felt I got just as much from listening to their album as seeing them in person. Just no emotional connection between them and me, I need a more visceral experience. Maybe I'm just getting old - but it is going to be a year of the oldies with my seats booked for Neil, Robert (Plant) and Brooooce, not to mention Roger Hodgson, The Seekers and The Hollies. Lex, I'm seeing Wilco again in March. They are probably the best rock outfit I've ever seen (probably because I see more of the singer/songwriter genre) and each member is a musical superstar in my book. My only worry is that I'm seeing them at the Hamer Hall, a venue best described as "sedate" - although Dweezil Zappa and Steve Vai certainly moved the foundations when they did the Zappa Plays Zappa show a few years back.

What I'm listening to: Words And Music - Saint Etienne - probably should have included it in my top 5 of 2012. I love songs about loving music and the whole album is on the theme of growing up obsessed by music and how it colours all our experiences. Also, one of those I did list - Orkney: Symphony of the Magnetic North which thrills me in a similar way to Fleet Foxes, just beautiful. I love this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai95Nxu-_nU

In the car I haven't been able to switch Johnny Ray's Downtown. It's three years now since Perry Keyes released this (his third) album. It's still haunting. I think I'm going to have to email him and ask him if he's got another in the pipeline and if he's going to play Melbourne again.

What I'm reading: "Song For The Road - Touring Tales From Our Best Singer Songwriters" edited by Kate Morgan. Blurb says : "fantastic touring travel tales by Dave Graney, Patrick Matthews (The Vines/Youth Group), Christine Anu, Mark Lizotte (Diesel), The Mess Hall, The Jezabels, The Drones, Magic Dirt, Angie Hart, Cut Copy, Eskimo Joe, Mick Thomas (Weddings, Parties, Anything), Snowman, Little Red, and Archie Roach." I'm about half-way through and am amazed at the literary efforts of some of these people. I can understand why they left James Reyne's name off the blurb (talk about pretentious!), but who knew the bloke from Jet and the one from Eskimo Joe (I don't even know their names) and Gareth Liddiard (The Drones) could write so well? Some had me laughing out loud. And the bloke from The Wiggles got me quite teary! I think some of our American friends would be interested in how Aussie bands find touring the U.S.

P.S. For fiction, I'm also thoroughly enjoying Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller. While it can be read purely as a crime thriller, it is more about getting old and how memories interplay with the present - a salutary lesson for us all.

Anyway, a happy New Year to you all. I'm already looking forward to a new album from John Grant - "Pale Green Ghosts" - available for pre-order on Amazon.uk - and also a new one from Stornoway. Happy listening folks!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013, 9:23:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013, 4:23:44 PM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Towards the end of the film "Lawless" there was a nice musical surprise. The surprise was hearing Ralph Stanley singing a bluegrass version of the Velvet Underground song "White Light / White Heat." In the context of the movie the meaning of the song is altered and so subsequently Ralph is referring to drinking moonshine and its effects. Stanley also sings songs by Captain Beefheart as well as a few songs written for the movie by Nick Cave including a duet with Emmylou Harris. Liner notes were wrong....not finding duet!
In the liner notes for the Soundtrack it was noted that Lou Reed got to hear the mixing of Stanley's take of his song and he got a bit choked up by it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013, 9:46:44 AM PST
J.M. Savory says:
very cool! i have heard good things about the movie soundtrack..

Posted on Jan 9, 2013, 7:31:05 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@J.M. Savory:

<<i have heard good things about the movie soundtrack..>>

I sure liked it!

ed.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013, 7:59:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013, 8:01:14 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Last few days I've enjoyed a couple of CDs by some elder statesmen of alternative music. In both cases I think they're expanding their signature sounds a bit:

1.) Mission of Burma - "Unsound" They've always struck me as the thinking man's garage band. They still turn the crunch noise up to 11 and you might have to listen carefully to appreciate the "hooks." Still, there's some complexity buried in their noise too so the records bears repeated listens. The singing has always been a bit limited with these guys but I still think they're sporadically awesome.

2.) The Sea and the Cake's "Runner." They're something of a "super group" wouldn't you say? Prekop's voice is more varied and expressive than I remember from older records. The amazing percussionist John McEntire anchors things with his studio wizardry. I wish they'd let Archer Prewitt have a few songs. I've enjoyed his solo records although they're a bit more poppy and accessible than the typical Sea and Cake songs. I've only listened to the CD once so far but what I heard is really impressive. They're sort of this generation's King Crimson (the 1980s Adrian Belew version that is...)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013, 6:01:46 PM PST
Timot-Rex says:
Dug out my old Nosferatu album by Hugh Cornwell (with Capt Beefheart drummer Robert Williams.) Timeless and awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8P2L4-6dxM

And here's Hugh some 31 years later with a different band ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy8Y3R4dXyc

Posted on Jan 13, 2013, 1:40:18 AM PST
Alexis says:
Visually and aurally delightful video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy9W_mrY_Vk

Posted on Jan 15, 2013, 7:35:51 AM PST
Timot-Rex says:
I usually avoid "greatest hits" packages but I've made a few exceptions this year.

The first was Goldfrapp's "The Singles." I had sort of lost interest in them after the first album because I felt they had become too "dance club" oriented. Well, this record is a revelation. (And perhaps my tastes have changed as well.) It is excellently sequenced and it's one of those albums that gets better with each listen. I might have to go back through their catalog.

The second was Pavement's "Quarantine the Past: The Best of Pavement." I actually have most of their CDs and just grabbed this one on a lark from the library. Again, I really think the reason I like it so much is due in large part to the sequencing.

A few more worth mentioning are The Replacements' "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was? - The Best of the Replacements" & the Go-Betweens' "Bellavista Terrace: Best of the Go-Betweens"

Notice that none of these are labeled "Greatest Hits?" With the exception of Goldfrapp in England I don't think any of these bands had any.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  779
Total posts:  7256
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers