Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Songs that creep you out

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 411 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 29, 2016, 2:01:14 PM PDT
Jina Bowers says:
The Living Tombstone - Die In A Fire

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2015, 10:54:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2015, 11:17:35 PM PST
Rich says:
Metal Machine Music (Part I - Part IV) - Lou Reed

..."Lou Reed's 1975 Metal Machine Music is variously considered to be a joke, a grudging fulfillment of a contractual obligation, or an early example of noise music. The album features no songs or even recognizably structured compositions, eschewing melody and rhythm for an hour of modulated feedback and guitar effects, mixed at varying speeds by Reed."

I purchased this album in 1975, to this day over 40 years later, have not listened to the album in its entirety, it's just too darn Creepy!

Posted on Sep 21, 2015, 5:41:04 AM PDT
Miranda731 says:
Magic Man - Heart (come on home with me and get high?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2015, 6:46:39 AM PDT
AladdinSane says:
good one...
'Dark Lady' was another by Cher.
Delta Dawn....Tanya Tucker
Angie Baby...Helen Reddy
Ode To Billie Jo...(a friggin classic)...Bobbie Gentry (who made me reaize I was 'noticing' gurlz...lol)
Cherry Hill Park...(gawd i loved this back in the day) Billy Joe Royal
Brandy (a little bit creepy, because of the picture painted of 'Brandy'...vivid...i love story songs)....Looking Glass
'Timothy'...The Buoys (by 'pina colada song Rupert,,,he covers the food AND drink ,,,lol)

Posted on Jul 14, 2015, 12:51:57 PM PDT
J. Nichols says:
Gypsys Tramps and thieves by Cher

Posted on Jul 10, 2015, 9:53:28 PM PDT
H. Merz says:
I always thought "Don't Worry Kyoko, mummy's only looking for her hand in the snow" by Yoko Ono was pretty bizarre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2015, 4:25:08 AM PDT
SuziBeth says:
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke. Very catchy, but SO date rapey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2015, 12:31:26 PM PDT
margo says:
BTW Pete Townshend did not write " Cousin Kevin" or " Uncle Ernie" from "Tommy" the late great greatest bass player John Entwistle did...

Pete has stated the material was too difficult to write in light of his childhood abuse from his insane Grandma...

Also" And I Moved" was said to be wriiten for Bette Midler but she turned it down as I recall..
Read Pete's bio I think it's in there what's its really about but I won't reveal my feelings about that one...
The great think about music & certain songs is " what it means to you when you hear it not wtf the writer was thinking that's why they last & make impressions & stay with you because it becomes a part of a time in your life when you first heard it...
Many writers don't even realize the significance until years later themselves..
A little mystery is a good sexy thing! Margaret G NYC

Posted on Jun 24, 2015, 9:22:01 AM PDT
Jim D says:
Revolution #9- The Beatles
Frankie Teardrop -Suicide
and when I was much younger...Ringo by Lorne Green

Posted on Jun 24, 2015, 2:14:44 AM PDT
Almost anything by the Shangri-Las...

He Cried
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-V47lupTKE

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2015, 6:25:16 PM PDT
Mark says:
That was my choice, eerie vocals, morbid subject matter, on the iPod though!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2015, 9:01:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2015, 9:56:24 AM PDT
tmoore says:
Hipgnosis --- it's been 35 years since I read the book, and although I took copious notes (with pen and paper) at the time, I no longer have them -- I decided after a couple years that those notes were not something I wanted to keep.

I can tell you I did remember there was another song involved, but couldn't remember exactly which one. Your comments about Blackbird are indeed ringing a bell in my memory -- and I am now remembering that the gibberish between Blackbird and Piggies had some significance to Manson as well.

I'm still not convinced I'm misremembering about Revolution, but as I no longer have my notes, and as the book was a library book, I can't verify with that. I suppose the info is online somewhere, but I'd rather go back to the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2015, 2:50:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2015, 3:28:37 AM PDT
Hipgnosis says:
tmoore: With all due respect, no..."Revolution", with the exception of it's title, was never associated in any way with the Manson murders (the song, does indeed call for a cultural/social/political revolution, although not by a specific group, but amongst the general public). But, another song that was relevant is "Blackbird", Manson interpreted it as a call for Black people to rise up against their oppressors. And, interestingly enough, all of these songs were from "The Beatles" album, better known as "The White Album"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015, 11:35:16 PM PDT
I was watching Monday Night Football with my Dad when they broke into the broadcast with the sad news about John Lennon.
Mind Games had been a song I had loved way before John was killed so fortunately it is not marred by that association for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015, 9:09:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2015, 9:02:42 AM PDT
tmoore says:
EDITED --- In the early '80s, I read the the Helter Skelter book and read all the details of how he interpreted that song (and several others, one of which was Piggies). After I read that book and really digested what was in there, I never thought about it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015, 2:39:51 PM PDT
Helter Skelter gets a bad rap because the insane Charlie Manson totally misinterprets the song thinking it is about some kind of hateful race war. Heller Skelter is actually a famous old amusement park ride England where on a sort of sprial slide you go back from top to the bottom till I see you again....as I paraphrase the songs lyrics. The only thing strange is the cacophony of loud crashing discordant guitars and music which Paul experimenting with at the time and sort of goes with the ride aspect. If you google it you can see a picture of the cool looking real ride the song is based on. Screw Charlie Manson! Don't let him and the movie ruin what is a great song!

Posted on Apr 25, 2015, 12:07:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2015, 11:13:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 21, 2015, 3:26:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2015, 3:28:51 PM PDT
tmoore says:
Mind Games -- by association -- I woke up at 5:55 AM on Monday Dec. 9, 1980 and this was playing on the radio. First time I had ever heard it. At 5:59 AM the DJ said it was by the "late great John Lennon", and at 6:00 the newscast came on and I heard all the details (I was asleep when the news broke the night before - I was in the same time zone as NYC, where it happened).

So, for me, that song is indelibly tied to that moment in time, and hearing it is not a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2015, 3:25:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 20, 2015, 3:30:13 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2015, 3:19:05 PM PDT
Hipgnosis says:
It's been said that Coil's version was intended to be a dirge for the victims of AIDS during that period.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2015, 3:12:21 PM PDT
Hipgnosis says:
More trivia about "My Boy Lollipop"; The harmonica solo is by Rod Stewart!

Posted on Apr 7, 2015, 3:25:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2015, 5:06:13 PM PDT
If to feel creeped out means to feel disturbed, I guess Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park fits the bill. For some reason inexplicable to me the part of the song that talks about leaving a cake out in the rain makes me picture some sort of a Norman Bates(esque) character standing right there in the rain beside the cake watching it disintegrate. I mean, the song as much as scares me to death. Know what I mean? And listening to the great actor Richard Harris sing the song only compounds my feelings of horror and terror. Ok, I have exaggerated the part about it scaring me to death; nevertheless, the song does on some level make me feel very uncomfortable.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2015, 5:26:54 PM PDT
the intrumental that you're referring to on Piper is called "Pow R Toc H". "Flaming" has lyrics to it.

Posted on Mar 17, 2015, 8:33:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2015, 8:35:39 PM PDT
* "The Wizard" (Black Sabbath)--can't explain exactly why it makes my skin crawl. I never listen to it with the lights out!
* "The Legend Of Wooley Swamp" (The Charlie Daniels Band)--a good, creepy story song, great to listen to around Halloween! :)

And to me, the creepiest of them all:

*"Little Children" (Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas)--perfectly innocent, I'm sure, about a guy who catches his girlfriend's younger sibling watching he and the girl kiss. But the lyrics, especially the first verse, sound just. . .icky and wrong!

"Little children, you better not tell on me
I'm tellin' you, little children, you better not tell what you see
And if you're good, I'll give you candy and a quarter
If you're quiet like you oughta be
and keep a secret with me."
(from MetroLyrics.com)

Posted on Jul 2, 2014, 7:49:04 PM PDT
BrkfstClub72 says:
Just found this thread, but in case anyone's still following it:

"They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haa!" was by Napoleon XIV. He was actually Jerry Samuels, a writer for the Smothers Brothers' show (or maybe LAUGH-IN, I forget).

The lyric in "California Dreamin'" is actually, "I PRETEND to pray."

Paul Anka's "Diana" was about an older girl he went to high school with.

The final say on the "death scream" in "Love Rollercoaster" can be found here:
http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.asp

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Years Ago," by Alice Cooper. Way creepier than "Dead Babies" or anything else he's recorded. There's a bit about two minutes in where the music slows and softens, and there's this babbling voice in the background -- always gave me shivers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  245
Total posts:  411
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers