Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Fave TV theme song.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 151 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2007, 8:15:42 AM PDT
D. Hawkins says:
Taxi
WKRP
Good Times
Sanford and Son
Jeffersons
Laverne and Shirley
and All in the Family

Basically, these are themes that everyone can sing along with (even Sanford and Son).

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007, 8:43:13 AM PDT
Route 66 (the Nelson Riddle TV theme, not the Bobby Troup rock song).

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007, 11:02:38 AM PDT
C. Perkins says:
-mad about you
-pinky and the brain
-les brigades du tigre

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007, 11:38:00 AM PDT
ANNIE - TopCat has been purchased. thanks to you and others who gave me a little push. Glad to see this thread has been a small kick for many posters. The most recent posts refer to shows i'm aware of but never saw, more or less shut down the tube 20 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007, 10:04:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2007, 12:50:32 PM PDT
Spotty-- Good for you! I hope you enjoy TOP CAT.

I've gotta talk about an unexpected trip back in time that I took today.

I have this enormous backlog of DVD box sets to watch. Today I chose the TV GUIDE Classic Game Shows collection. So, I'm watching YOU BET YOUR LIFE and some other more obscure 50's game shows. I hadn't looked at the program lineup, so I didn't know what to expect. When the last show on the disc began, its theme song sounded instantly familiar. At first I thought it to be an instrumental pop tune that I couldn't remember the name of.

But then, my trip in time began. Stubby Kaye appeared on the screen wearing an outlandish plaid jacket and straw boater. As soon as he began to sing, I was right back in 1964, watching what once was my very favorite TV program. It was a kiddie game show called SHENANIGANS. Sponsored by Milton Bradley, and with a set that looked like a giant board game, SHENANIGANS pitted two kids against each other. They moved around the board earning Shenanibucks and performing silly stunts.

The highlight of the program was definitely the commercials. All the games I wanted for Christmas that year (including some that I got) were featured. There was the original MYSTERY DATE ad, and one for TIME BOMB! (do you remember it?), OPERATION, and my all-time favorite-- CAMP GRANADA. The Granada ad featured Allan Sherman himself, sitting on the floor with two kids and playing Camp Granada as he sang his famous song (with Milton Bradley lyrics, of course).

And now, 43 years later, I suddenly remember exactly how I ended up with the CAMP GRANADA board game that Xmas! I bugged my mom for it from late September on.

It's weird having a memory so long forgotten suddenly restored. It fills in a huge dark spot that you didn't even know existed. I also remember that when SHENANIGANS suddenly disappeared from ABC-TV sometime in early 1965 I was a sad kid for quite a while. Maybe that's why I ultimately forgot I'd ever seen it.

Sorry to all for posting this highly personal memory, but I'm still sorta weirded out by what happened to me today-- it was a vivid glimpse into my childhood and very powerful for me, particularly because this came TOTALLY out of the blue.

So, I want to name a TV theme song that perhaps very few will recall--

SHENANIGANS

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2007, 9:32:26 AM PDT
Annie - thinking that the Top Cat set might just trigger a similar long forgotten memory, sitting in the folks living room, way way back in N.Y. watching the impish cats.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007, 11:43:44 AM PDT
Donald Waits says:
ImEzekiel65,
I just remembered the great Lalo Schifrin! The "burning fuse" theme for "Mission Impossible", "Man from U.N.C.L.E.", "Bullit" (the movie), "Dirty Harry" and other Eastwood flicks, many more. Henry Mancini, "The Pink Panther" movies, "Peter Gunn", "Creature From the Black Lagoon", etc.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007, 11:49:44 AM PDT
Donald Waits says:
I forgot to mention that Neal Hefti did a lot of arrangements for Count Basie, as well as write classics like "Lil Darlin'" (Mel Torme and the Meltones did a vocal called "Don't Dream of Anybody But Me") AND I forgot also that Henry Mancini wrote "Moon River" and "Days of Wine and Roses", that have become jazz classics. Could this be another, different post?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2007, 6:33:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2007, 6:36:43 PM PDT
Party of Five, when it was Shawn Colvin. The Heights (How Do You Talk To An Angel)
Buck Rogers in the 2? century!
Courtship of Eddies Father.
Friends.
30Something, for some odd reason.
Lost In Space
All In The Family.
The Monkees!
Banana Splits!
Greatest American Hero.
Cheers.
LMAO, I don't even really watch tv....
American Idol, lol.......

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2007, 2:07:02 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Oh what memories, what memories! And I was a kid in the sixties growing up in the middle of Africa! I don't think anyone's mentioned the iconic 77 SUNSET STRIP which I believe came from the pen of Jerry Livingstone who was responsible for many TV themes of that era.

And how about CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? A great fun show. I also remember fondly the theme song from FIREBALL XL-5.

A couple of British mini-series whose music remains with me were REILLY - ACE OF SPIES and EDWARD AND MRS SIMPSON.

I don't know whether Art Garfunkel wrote "Just Over The Brooklyn Bridge" for the TV series BROOKLYN BRIDGE but it was a beautiful song and I wish the series would come out on DVD.

And just one other mention - my son always describes the SURVIVOR theme as "yohdi-ohdi-oh"

P.S. We named our stray cat (who literally came in through the bathroom window) Benny in honour of the TOP CAT character.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2007, 2:56:16 PM PDT
R. J. Wells says:
ImEzekiel65: You should definitely pick up this CD:

The Complete Atomic Basie

The Count Basie Band playing Neal Hefti arrangements. And dig the classic Cold War cover art. What's not to like?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2007, 2:58:48 PM PDT
R. J. Wells says:
This is a great thread! You guys all must be my contemporaries give or take a few years. I'm almost 47.

Here's one I don't think anyone mentioned: Spiderman!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2007, 6:31:18 PM PDT
Mark Sunday says:
What a fun thread! I was scanning pretty quickly. Has anyone mentioned "One Day at a Time"? Love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 2:00:38 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
Thank you, R.J., I've just added that one to my Wish List. That was a cool time period for that style of music. And yes, that is some cover! Quite unusual for that type of album.

"Spider-Man" flat-out rocks. Good call.

And in case nobody has mentioned it, the "Perry Mason" theme is awesome. The Count Basie CD just made me think of that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 2:06:27 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
Yes, Donald, Lalo Schifrin is great. I like what I've heard from him. And we are in total agreement about Henry Mancini. One of the all-time greats. "Moon River" alone would've immortalized him. Along with the themes from "Peter Gunn", "Charade" and "The Pink Panther", etc..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 2:29:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2007, 2:30:38 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
Oops, sorry, Spotty. You mentioned it first post. (The "Perry Mason" theme, that is).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 9:36:43 PM PDT
How about the bugle call intro from DEATH VALLEY DAYS?

Other favorite TV western theme songs:
BAT MASTERSON
CHEYENNE ("Where will you be camping tonight?")
THE CISCO KID
THE REBEL ("Johnny Yuma was a rebel...")
BONANZA
THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF WYATT EARP ("Brave, courageous and bold...")
THE LONE RANGER
THE RIFLEMAN (bang!bang!bang!bang!bang! cue announcer)
BRANDED!
DAVY CROCKETT ("Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee...")
THE WILD WILD WEST
HERE COME THE BRIDES ("Full of dreams to last the years..in Seattle!")

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 9:58:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2007, 11:17:08 PM PDT
Rat Patrol
Combat
Square Pegs
Kolchak The Night Stalker
SWAT
Starsky and Hutch
Monk(original Willie Nelson theme)
What's Happening?
Dukes of Hazzard
Barretta(sic?)
Toma
The Adventures of Briscoe County
That Girl
The Green Hornet
Maude
Petrocelli
Korg 70000 BC
Barnaby Jones
When Things Were Rotten
Get Smart
Bigfoot and Wildboy
Harry-O

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 10:01:06 PM PDT
Mark--
I've been eyeballing that COMBAT! complete series DVD box set, but wow the price!

(nice list, BTW)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 10:33:55 PM PDT
I don't have Combat yet, but I do have both seasons of Rat Patrol on DVD(just got an advance copy of the Season 2 box).

*Now come on....play nice over in the Pink Floyd discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 10:50:27 PM PDT
The COMBAT! Battle Box is definitely the way to go, however. It's even more expensive to buy the individual seasons on DVD separately.

I'm still waiting for Mannix on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2007, 11:09:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2007, 11:14:18 PM PDT
I think COMBAT! is $150 from private dealers. One of these days I'll splurge.
The show had a great opening-- the checkered close-up of a helmet, then the zoomback with that Quinn Martin announcer intoning: "With Vic Morrow.....and Rick Jason..."

There's a lot of TV shows I've bought and even more that I want. The first season of Drew Carey is out. I want all the shows up until the cast starts changing. That's just one example.

Pink Floyd? Depression music-- when I was a sad kid I listened to it.
Not deserving of a scraps album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2007, 2:14:39 AM PDT
Val H. says:
I always liked the music from Laramie (John Smith, Robert Fuller) but I don't know if it had any words.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007, 3:15:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2007, 4:03:34 PM PDT
Annie V A

Thought you might get a kick out of this.

Today, I went to a flea market that had bought all of the inventory from a music/movie shop that was shutting down it's chain in my area and I was able to get the COMBAT Battle Box for just $69.95. They also had all of the individual discs going for $8 each. Needless to say I picked up the box set and spent another $220 that I probably shouldn't have as well, including a Popol Vuh bootleg CD I have never heard of before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007, 3:58:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2007, 4:02:02 PM PDT
the song at the end of Frasier - I remember it had some funny lyrics
the Dallas theme - catchy tune
The X-Files - another catchy tune
the Friends song

kiddie shows:
the song Mr. Rodgers used to sing
Mickey Mouse Club
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  May 16, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers