Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 8:22:31 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
John/Alexis:

My own personal favorite "southern rock" band and, for me, significantly above the rest is The Allman Brothers.

After them would probably be Little Feat AND Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Some others of the genre (and other genres) that I've listened to and have, mostly, somewhere in my collection include:

Marshall Tucker, Molly Hatchett, Outlaws, .38 Special, Wet Willie, ARS, Black Crowes, Blackfoot, Charlie Daniels, Dixie Dregs, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, ZZ Top, Elvin Bishop, Black Oak Arkansas, Govt' Mule, Kentucky Headhunters, Rossington Collins Band, Widespread Panic.

I'd assume that by not mentioning the Allmans, you might think of them differently. (Maybe you just don't like them) While they surely are/were blues based, most southern rock is considered, to some degree, blues based. That's one of the reasons it differs so much from "country rock".

I've always had a problem with Charlie Daniels (and maybe LS) in that they embraced the South and some of its less desireable attributes, historically speaking, while still wanting to be seen as free thinking rockers (wait, does anyone think all rockers are THAT free thinking?). I mean, what DID Charlie Daniels mean when he sang about how "the South is gonna rise again?" anyway?

The Dregs are a special case in that they did incorporate some rather complex improvisation into their music.....call it southern jazz rock.

I loved Lowell George and Little Feat.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 1:35:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010, 9:14:59 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

I agree with you about Courtney Love, though I did like a couple of Hole songs--Celebrity Skin and Malibu.
Here's the next album review:

881. It's a Beautiful Day (self-titled) (1969) (0)

1. White Bird (3+) (not bad in a hippy-trippy way, but I just can't embrace the hook)
2. Hot Summer Day (?) (3)
3. Wasted Union Blues (?) (1)
4. Girl With No Eyes (?) (2)
5. Bombay Calling (?) (2)
6. Bulgaria (?) (2)
7. Time Is (?) (2)

REVIEW: I didn't hear anything spectacular. Another 0.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 1:53:46 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

They put the "bad" in Baduizm!

354. Dire Straits--Walk of Life (8) (much maligned but I still like it!)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 3:01:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008, 9:06:02 PM PDT
Alexis says:
OOPs!!! Did I forget Allman Bros and Little Feat????? I hang my head in shame. (Sorry Lowell, I still love you). Funny though, for some stupid insane reason, I never considered Little Feat to be just a great southern band. To me, they were cross-genre-d even though I see that's absurd!!!!!Same with the Black Crowes.

BTW I am an Aussie after all. Maybe the redneck element in some songs didn't seem that apparent to me. I wasn't exactly sure what the south was going to do again. I assume the southern flag represents white extremists? EDIT####Another oops!!!I meant supremists. (Doh!)

Then of course there's bands like Kid Rock. My ignorance is very apparent as I don't know enough about him/them but his neck is so red, you can still see the rope burns.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 3:08:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008, 3:15:59 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
Ed,

i did/ do like the Allman Bros. in their prime. pretty much up 'til Brothers and Sisters. after that, Greg had a 'habit' and may have been dating Cher, Duane and Berry were gone, and i lost track of them. still can't tell you an album of theirs after BAS. but i still like those early records. 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed', etc. good stuff.

maybe that's why i (unintentionally) didn't mention the Allmans. they were southern boys, but their 'necks' didn't seem quite as 'red' as some other Southern bands. ones that had the attitude you speak of. they didn't seem to revel in their southern-ness like say LS or charlie Daniels.

PS. also love Little Feat. their first album and Sailin' Shoes will always be faves, though i like their other stuff with Lowell too. I gotta pick up Hoy-Hoy one o' these days. so much music.........

Alexis,

i don't know if they were from the south; they definitely played southern styles of music (see Dixie Chicken for some good ol' New Orleans R & B), but i'll ask Ed to weigh in on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 3:26:52 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Alexis:

My genre gurus, allmusic, often put artists in more than one style/genre and I think it makes sense. It tends to make people realize that these things are fluid, both based on a particular album and how we, the listen define the terms. One man's hard rock is another's heavy metal.....or, better yet, one man's pop is another's slop.

Allmusic refers to the Little Feat thusly.....

Rock & Roll
Blues Rock
Southern Rock
Album Rock
Pop Rock
Boogie Rock
Hard Rock

The one I listed before that I might have NOT thought of as "southern rock" is/was The Black Crowes. I guess I would have thought of them first and foremost as rock n roll, even moreso than The Allmans or Little Feat.

That's my #26 method of collecting music.....going to genre listings and finding people I don't have and/or don't know. I may have missed Blackfoot completely until a few days ago....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 3:33:16 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Pardon me if I say so Ed, but your 'methods' never fail to amuse me.

al

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 8:16:23 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

I do like two songs from that album, that one and Call Me the Breeze.

353. Joe Walsh--All Night Long (9) (love this one)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 8:40:55 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Alexis,

good review.

352. Bad Company--Movin' On (1+) (I like a few of their songs, but this isn't one of 'em)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 9:46:37 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
John,

I'm not quite sure from your post whether you enjoyed Molly Hatchet or not. Did you?

351. Foreigner--Head Games (5+) (kind of a tedious song)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 10:08:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008, 10:09:31 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
Mark,

<<Paul Rodgers was pretty OK, but the other 2 didn't thrill me none.>>

sorry. by 'the other 2' i meant Foghat and Molly Hatchet. they were not my cup o' tea :-)

take care, John

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 10:20:14 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Charlie Daniels definitely got more reactionary as he aged, despite his first big hit, Uneasy Rider, being sung from the perspective of a hippie in the Deep South.

350. Journey--Don't Stop Believin' (5)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 10:30:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2008, 10:31:24 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
John,

The odd thing about Foghat is that I'm forever seeing them categorized as Southern Rock (and they were on one of those K-tel compilations as such), and now they're on a bill with Molly Hatchet, but as far as I know, they're from England.

349. Pink Floyd--Learning to Fly (7)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008, 10:54:53 PM PDT
M. E.. Cole says:
on #422 it should be john lee hooker

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 10:38:45 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

<<The odd thing about Foghat is that I'm forever seeing them categorized as Southern Rock...>>

Just for curiosities sake, I checked at allmusic.com and this is how they describe Foghat, in order of preference....

Hard Rock
Boogie Rock
Arena Rock
Blues-Rock
Album Rock
Heavy Metal

Of course, a lot of the bands they DO list as "Southern Rock" are also listed as "blues rock", "boogie rock" and "hard rock", so they may have left them out of the "southern rock" thing not so much due to sound as due to geography....

In describing them, they say...

"Foghat specialized in a simple, hard-rocking blues-rock, releasing a series of best-selling albums in the mid-'70s. While the group never deviated from their basic boogie, they retained a large audience until 1978, selling out concerts across America and earning several gold or platinum albums. Once punk and disco came along, the band's audience dipped dramatically.

With its straight-ahead, three-chord romps, the band's sound was American in origin, yet the members were all natives of England. Guitarist/vocalist "Lonesome" Dave Peverett, bassist Tony Stevens, and drummer Roger Earl were members of the British blues band Savoy Brown, who all left the group in the early '70s."

So, they acknowledge their "American sound" if not their "southern rock" bonafides...

I may HAVE that k-tel ode to "southern rock". I know I have at least one rather extensive overview of the genre....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 10:44:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2008, 10:45:33 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mark:

K-Tel's "ode to Southern Rock:

1 Ramblin' Man Allman Brothers Band 3:41
2 Dixie Chicken Little Feat 3:55
3. Hold on Loosely 38 Special 4:36
4. Comin' Home Delaney & Bonnie an ... 5:44
5 Cold Shot Vaughan, Stevie Ray 5:42
6 Travelin' Shoes Elvin Bishop 7:15
7 Keep on Smilin' Wet Willie 3:42
8 Jim Dandy Black Oak Arkansas 2:43
9 Flirtin' With Disaster Molly Hatchet 5:01
10 Midnight Rider Gregg Allman 4:26
11 So into You Atlanta Rhythm Section 3:18
12 Right Place Wrong Time Dr. John 2:55
13 The South's Gonna Do It Again Charlie Daniels 4:01
14 Cado Queen Dobie Gray 3:28
15 Mind Bender Stillwater 4:17
16 Tuff Enuff Fabulous Thunderbirds 3:22
17 Freebird Lynyrd Skynayrd 9:06

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 11:02:24 AM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
who remembers that 'Freedom Rock' TV compilation? :-)

OK, even better, anyone remember the live album by Black Oak Arkansas, 'Hot & Nasty'? the lead singer (Jim Dandy?) was a real character.

Mark,

i think i remember the song 'Uneasy Rider'. if it's the one i'm thinking of, it was a longish song.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 2:08:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2008, 2:09:44 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Ed/John/Mark:
I had to check "South's Greatest Hits" which is in my LP's somewhere. allmusic had the tracks listed thus:

1 Ramblin' Man
2 The South's Gonna Do It Again Charlie Daniels
3 Fooled Around and Fell in Love Elvin Bishop
4 There Goes Another Love Song Hughie Thomasson ...
Performed by: Hughie Thomasson, B.L. Yobo

5 Fire on the Mountain G. McCorkle
6 Midnight Rider Gregg Allman
7 Doraville
8 Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
9 Third Rate Romance H.R. Smith
10 Right Place, Wrong Time Mac Rebennack
11 Keep on Smilin' J. Hall, R. Hirsch ...
Performed by: J. Hall, R. Hirsch, J. Anthony, L. Ross

The album cover was a beaut!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 2:22:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010, 9:28:00 AM PDT
Mark F. says:
S.,

I guess you're referring to who did the original of that song, but I'm taking these from a list that came out on a local rock station this past Labor Day that counted down the top 500 rock songs, so they were referring to the George Thorogood version. But thanks for pointing out that he did the original!

Here's our next review:

880. The Subdudes--Behind the Levee (2006) (0)

1. Pape Dukie and the Mud People (?) (5)
2. Next to Me (?) (5)
3. No Vacancy (?) (-)
4. One World (Peace) (?) (3+)
5. Social Aid and Pleasure Club (?) (5)
6. Time for the Sun to Rise (?) (-)
7. Let's Play (?) (-)
8. Looking at You (?) (-)
9. Keep My Feet Upon the Ground (?) (-)
10. Prayer of Love (?) (-)

REVIEW: Someone told me about these guys in about 1995, and so I expected to hear a lot from them but never did. Before spinning this, I don't recall ever hearing them. Good stuff, and if I was more familiar with it I'm sure it would rise above the 0 I need to give it because I don't know any of the material and can rarely determine whether I like something before giving it a few listens. I like the blend of zydeco, blues, and Dead-style trippy music I hear in their stuff. And I can hear the influence of the album's producer, Keb'Mo. Unfortunately, only four tracks were posted on YouTube. I'd like to hear more of it.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 6:10:44 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for the Foghat review...seeing ahead that the Southern Rock album from K-tel wasn't the one that featured Foghat, but there was one so it must be Ronco or something like that! :-)

348. Guns n Roses--Patience (7+)

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 5:51:16 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Alexis - not a lot. I should check it out because I've got tickets to see him next year. I haven't even caught up with the two Solo Acoustic albums. Unfortunately (for me), he's one of those artists like Bowie whose albums keep their value and they aren't easy to come by cheap. There are so many new and good albums out at the moment I'd soon be broke if I tried to keep up with all that interest me. I'm currently listening to Solomon Burke (Don't Give Up On Me), Patti Smith (Twelve), My Morning Jacket (Evil Urges), T-Bone Burnett (Tooth of Crime) and Willard Grant Conspiracy (Pilgrim Road). And I'm thinking of buying Joan Baez (Day After Tomorrow), Gary Louris & Mark Olson (Ready for the Flood), Brian Wilson (That Lucky Old Sun) and Sarah Carroll (Wahine). Enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 6:16:50 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Ed -

<15 Mind Bender Stillwater 4:17>

Is that THE Stillwater, of "Almost Famous" fame?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 6:42:46 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, you lucky thing. How much were the tickets? I saw him many years ago. Which acoustic albums. I have several of Jackson's early stuff on vinyl that you can have copies of once it's all set up. It's up to you.

I received the Basements newsletter. Chase the Sun and the Vandas look interesting. Do you know anything about them?

BTW, I think I'm in love with Paul Gross. Only just finished watching the first 2 episodes of Due South.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 7:08:54 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Alexis - He's playing at The Palais in St Kilda on March 5 next year (he's also playing Sydney and the Hunter Valley). Tickets were $127.00 each. Tim Freedman (The Whitlams) is the support act. JB does a 60 min set followed by a 20 min interval and then a 70 min set. Thanks for the offer but I also have a lot of his early stuff (vinyl and CD) but in 2005 he put out "Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1" and followed it up this year with Vol. 2. They're recent live performances of both well-known and lesser-known songs with a lot of audience interaction.

I was thinking of maybe going to see Chase The Sun at Basement Discs because I'm on school holidays. I'll see. I keep hearing about The Vandas but don't really know them. You can listen to them on their website and on MySpace. Sound pretty good to me. They're supporting John Mellencamp/Sheryl Crow at the winery venue, but I'm seeing them at Rod Laver and don't know if they'll be playing there.

Glad you're enjoying "Due South". It's a good laugh. My son and I are making our way through "Life On Mars" and enjoying all the 70s music.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2008, 1:16:03 PM PDT
Mark F. says:
Ed,

Thanks for the K-tel track listing...Delaney and Bonnie and Friends is an oddity--I know Never Ending Song of Love (one of my favorite songs when I was a kid), and I thought Eric Clapton was one of the "Friends," which makes me wonder, like Foghat, how it could be classified as "Southern" rock, though maybe Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett are from the south...OK, I couldn't wait--Wiki says he's from Miss.; she's from Illinois (and her maiden name is nearly mine). So OK, I guess that qualifies. Stevie Ray doesn't, in my book. Texas blues is not quite the same as Southern Rock, but I guess it's a fine line. And is Texas really the South? That's another question. Louisiana is part of the South, but I've never considered Dr. John to be Southern Rock. And Dobie Gray is a stretch too. I've never heard of Stillwater.

Here's our next review:

879. John Mayer--Continuum (2006; #2) (0)

1. Waiting on the World to Change (4+)
2. I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) (?) (4)
3. Belief (feat. Ben Harper) (?) (4)
4. Gravity (Feat. Alicia Keys) (?) (3)
5. The Heart of Life (?) (2)
6. Vultures (?) (3)
7. Stop This Train (?) (2)
8. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room (?) (2)
9. Bold As Love (?) (2) (Hendrix cover)
10. Dreaming With a Broken Heart (2)
11. In Repair (?) (2)
12. I'm Gonna Find Another You (?) (3)
13. Say (?) (2)

Special: there are a number of live versions of the songs already on the original release, with one additional song not among the ones listed above:

14. I Don't Need No Doctor (?) (3)

REVIEW: I loved his first song, No Such Thing, but nothing since. His breathy voice can be annoying at times, but his mellow, jazz-tinged style is appealing. I knew nothing from this except the first track, which is OK, and possibly Dreaming with a Broken Heart, which sounded vaguely familiar. So, another 0...

Mark
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3893
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers