Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Gifts for Him hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bands from Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 5:22:08 PM PDT
mr christmas says:
Hi Val,
Thanks so much for all the info. I'm heavily into record collecting, so I really need to have my own copy, rather than borrowing it from the library. In the short term it's probably not a bad idea though. I'll take a drive down to Monash. If you can bare to part ways with your lp or cassette 'one', I'd be extremely grateful. All the best. Darren

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 8:02:58 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Darren -

A bit more info. This is a book from the series, rather than recorded music, available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BN-Selections-From-1-2-Toddlers-Song-Music-Book-/261402784960?pt=AU_Books_Childrens_New&hash=item3cdcd1f4c0#ht_875wt_916

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 7:58:36 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Hi mr christmas,

Unfortunately I don't have "One" on CD. On CD I have Zzzero, Two, Four, Five and Seven. I may have "One" on an LP but I have no way of checking at the moment. My LPs are almost inaccessible because of "stuff" that I'm storing for my offspring. I'm pretty sure I had the whole series but I know some were on cassette. I will try to have a look through the heaps of cassettes that I still have but they are also hidden by kids' stuff.

I had a look on Trove (searching on Zzzero because it is impossible to search for "One": as you've probably already found out)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=Zzzero&l-australian=y

and it apears cassette copies of the full 10 albums exist at Monash Uni Library and Melbourne Uni Library:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/18086472?q=Zzzero&c=music&versionId=21228582
Monash University.
Monash University Library.
Open to the public
GI 784.642 ZZZ Sound recording;
GI CURR 784.642 ZZZ Sound recording Sound; Recorded music English

The University of Melbourne.
The University Library.
Open to the public
Sound; Recorded music
English

Looking for "One" alone found a cassette copy in W.A.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/20377858?q=diana+manson&c=music&versionId=24091752

I don't know if any of these are available for inter-library loan.

I hope this may be of some help to you. I will try to look for my copy of "One" and will post here if I find it. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you press the tab at the top left of this page which says "Track this discussion" so you will be notified if any new posts appear.

All the best,
Val

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 7:26:47 AM PDT
mr christmas says:
Hello Val,
I'm exhausted trying to get my hands on a copy of the ABC kids album 'One'. It's nowhere to be found. If you have a copy, is there any chance I could make a copy of it. I'm also in Melbourne. Thanks a lot!
Darren

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 4:03:23 PM PST
MattC says:
John Butler Trio have a new single - Only One. A new album is coming in early Feb. He has released a zombie video to go with it.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 2:10:08 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Lex -

Henry Wagons will be making his way to you very soon.

I enjoyed this article in today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/suffer-the-little-children-and-their-mothers-20130319-2gd8o.html

Suffer the little children and their mothers
Jude Newcombe
Date : March 20, 2013

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:04:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 7:05:24 PM PDT
Alexis says:
I like Judith Lucy. Her book must be a great read. Unfortunately Jamie's grandmother meeting with her son (his dad) did not go so well. They haven't talked to each other in 15 years or so. Apparently the statistics show this is quite common with relinquishing mothers and their sons. Really sad. Anyway, the apology is being televised on ABC news tomorrow at 11am. Finally, my tv antenna is picking up ABC again! I can also watch 'Mad as Hell' tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 6:58:30 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, I would love Henry Wagons ep whenever you get the chance. I'm just wondering what to send you next. Perhaps Alexi Murdoch, Jose Gonsalez & Block. I know they were included in that 'lost shipment'.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 5:30:09 PM PDT
Bobo says:
AC/DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 6:49:18 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Vance Joy's five-track EP "God Loves You When You're Dancing" can be streamed at:

http://themusic.com.au/listen/all/2013/03/18/exclusive-stream-vance-joy-god-loves-you-when-youre-dancing/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 6:07:34 AM PDT
Val H. says:
That should be a very emotional time for anyone who's had that experience. She's lucky to have found her birthmother and to have a good relationship with her. Made me think of my current book, Judith Lucy's "Drink, Smoke, Pass Out". Judith was adopted. Her adoptive mother is now dead but she was able to connect with her birthmother and they get on well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 6:03:32 AM PDT
Val H. says:
Lex, I don't know much about her at all. I remember seeing her on that episode of Rockwiz you posted above but other than that, nothing. I saw somewhere that she had been the support act for Mark Lanegan in 2010 and thought I might have been at that show, but it was 2011 when I saw him with Isobel Campbell. So, sorry, I can't enlighten you at all.

If you're into indie girl singers, have you heard Henry Wagons' EP from last year? If not I can send it to you if you'd like. It features duets with Alison Mosshart (The Kills and The Dead Weather); Sophia Brous ("has lent her voice to recordings by Augie March, Jens Lekman, Cut Copy"); Jenn Grant (Canadian singer); Robert Forster (The Go-Betweens); Patience Hodgson (The Grates) and Gossling.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 5:50:30 AM PDT
Val H. says:
<no Paul Kelly, no Colin Hay, no Mark Seymour, Tex Perkins, Tim Rogers> - that selection would have been totally predictable Lex. Although I AM enjoying Paul Kelly's new album and Tim Rogers' too. And I believe Mark Seymour has a new one out too. But there's nothing shabby about your list - a great mix of the old, the new and the classic. I'm just starting to get into City Calm Down.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:36:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 18, 2013 10:42:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:23:53 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, Jamie's grandmother (from Torquay) is coming up at the end of this week. She's attending the Federal govt's formal apology to relinquishing mothers held in Canberra this Thursday. Mia Dyson will be performing. I think she was adopted and G. is good friends with her birthmother. Should be an emotional rollercoaster!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 3:28:50 PM PDT
Alexis says:
BTW, Steve, I really loved Sarah Blasko's "I Awake" album so big thanks!!!!!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:26:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 3:29:22 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, what do you know about Amaya Laurcirica? I just love that whole Hope Sandoval (sp?) vibe she has going. Apparently she was touring with Adalita (who was a long time idol of hers way back when Adalita was with Magic Dirt).

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:13:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 3:19:11 PM PDT
Alexis says:
night #2 on the airwaves:

1. Nantes - Fly
2. Ball Park Music - Coming Down
3. Austen Tayshus - Australiana
4. Cloud Control - Gold Canary
5. Ladyhawke - Black & White & Blue (ok, ok, she's from NZ...... "close enough".... etc)
6. Ball Park Music - Ghost Story
7. British India - Vanilla
8. Yetis - Bright Red
9. Howling Bells - Blessed Night
10. Xavier Rudd - Follow the sun
11. City Calm Down - Sense of Self
12. Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
13. Nick Cave - The Weeping Song
14. The Rubens - The Best We Got
15. Nick Cave - Red Right Hand
16. Rebecca's Empire - Empty.

Val, I know what you're thinking....no Paul Kelly, no Colin Hay, no Mark Seymour, Tex Perkins, Tim Rogers etc etc etc. They were on some list...maybe ANZAC day I'll do an Australian/ New Zealand tribute. That's if they'll have me back.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 2:55:47 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Rockwiz duet, James Reyne & Amaya Laurcirica singing Woody Guthrie's "California Stars"......doesn't get much better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWS6R9uKVXE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:16:27 AM PST
Steve K says:
No worries Lex,

Just a point on guvera. Did you know when they offer you credits for posting to your facebook account you actually dont have to go all the way to completing the posting in order to get the credits? Meaning when the box or new tab appears for you to "Say something about guvera" on your FB page.. you can just close the tab and your new credits will already be there. This will save you having to worry about constant guvera adds on your FB page. God, if I followed thru on them all my page would be a disaster lol. So in essence what Im saying is once you click the credits box you automatically recieve them, regardless of what guvera asks you to do.

Ive 351 credits on hold, Joy has 209 lol. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 6:23:13 PM PST
Alexis says:
Thanks for that Steve. Haven't had a chance to check out those links but will do. Also big thanks for that link to stream the new Birds of Tokyo album. That's a good way to sample it. I also should check in to Guvera to up my points a little.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 1:54:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 1:55:03 AM PST
Steve K says:
Hi all,

Ive been listening to the new Sarah Blasko album this weekend "I Awake". I just felt I had to post this here as Im super impressed with this one.
I was going to try to write a review but Ill just let the songs speak for themselves. You probably wont hear any of these songs on the radio... but then again radio never does play any of the good stuff, does it?

I Awake
http://youtu.be/LD137cd7Cw0

All of Me
http://youtu.be/uoVBPHxTes8

God Fearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhCUBAK0Lg

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 5:38:44 AM PST
Val H. says:
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while but have a few snippets. Last week I went to see Of Monsters & Men and there were two Aussie support acts - Phebe Starr and Vance Joy. The former is a synth-pop singer who plays the keyboards accompanied by a bloke (also on keyboards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1xKHhrzpM

Vance Joy is a solo indie-pop singer, a bit out of the norm for Aussie singer-songwriters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QumD7sphpY
He has an EP out soon. I enjoyed both acts very much. I suspect both of them have been heard on Triple J so Lex may know of them.

Then last night at the awesome Barry Gibb gig, the opening act was another Triple J(?) act (and also appeared on The X Factor), Audio Vixen. They are two sisters and their brother who cite The Eagles and The Corrs as their influences. They sing fabulous harmonies - I only hope their sound isn't a bit too 70s/80s for today's audiences. It isn't easy to make an impression in a big stadium with a crowd waiting on a legend, but they won everyone over. Apparently Barry Gibb requested them as openers after he heard their recording of one of his songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGIwS-iOBIU
Apart from this one though, they sang a set of original songs and we were very impressed.

My recent Aussie album purchases are:

Blak & Blu - Kutcha Edwards
Warm In The Darkness - Liz Stringer
Sea Of Lights - Suzannah Espie
For The Love Of God! - Tripod

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:35:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:34:49 AM PST
Steve K says:
Hi all,

Thanks for keeping the thread alive... theres a pulse ! lol

Hey D Duffey I just had a listen to Airbourne...Like Lex I to had never heard of them but it seems theyve certainly made a name for themselves here and overseas so the future looks pretty good for them. They sound like the lovechild of Motley Crue and The Angels.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 12:45:28 PM PST
Alexis says:
D. Duffey, I don't remember Airbourne at all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 135 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 Aug 29, 2014
Best records of the 1950s 273 4 hours ago
Name 10 Song Titles Part 4 1228 4 hours ago
Celebrate the Magic with Adrianna Edwards' New Single and Remix Collection "Dancing With Me 0 10 days ago
Can you think of songs that have " na, na, na, ...." anywhere in the verses? 56 Nov 4, 2016
FYI: Amazon getting rid of forums 0 Oct 24, 2016
COLUMBO - Great tune sparkles no matter what 0 Oct 19, 2016
Light Up Your Life with PABLO BENDR's New Single "Body Motion" 0 Oct 17, 2016
Has the soft rock radio stations changed the variety of music? 31 Sep 23, 2016
Favorite radio station growing up and why 106 Sep 23, 2016
Candice Russell Releases New EP 0 Sep 19, 2016
Are The PondHawks Chicago's Best Kept Music Secret? 0 Sep 10, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers