Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Recording forum

VHS and DVR to computer. How do you do it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2011, 7:57:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2011, 8:01:26 PM PST
jwde3 says:
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Please tell me which forum to post it in if I did.

I'm saving up my money for so that I can start to convert vhs tapes to my computer. I have been researching methods on how to convert vhs to computer. I can't afford a $150-200 video capture card. (Are they the best though? Maybe you can recommend a lower cost card that works well and tell me what you use.) I found a usb capture card on amazon.com that is rated ok. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-..._ob_sw_title_2. Tell me what you think. I also found another capping system here. http://www.amazon.com/VHS-To-DVD-4-0...4505196&sr=8-6 Tell me what you think about that one too.
I also heard that one hour of footage can take up ]12-14 gigs of space! My question is what do you use to make it 700 mb or so for about a 2 hour file as I have seen? And what is the best software to use for capturing? I saw some on this website here. http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com

Also I have heard of people ripping the video off of a dvr onto a computer. I'm not sure if it's the same process for vhs
1. How do you do that? Do you need some kind of capture card? If so what kind?
2.What device do you need for this?
3. How could you compress the files to a size of 700mb - 1gb for 2 hours of footage?

As you can see I'm a beginner and know very little. Please be as thorough as you can in the recommendations you provide. Give step by step info and weblinks with your information. YOu can treat me like a total newbie because essentially that's what I am.

Please don't tell me to just google it or be rude. I do that all the time and while there is worthwhile information there, it helps to speak to people who have done this before and not just get lost in a million weblinks. Also I am a newbie at this. Treat me the way you'd want to be treated if it were you.

Well thanks for any help you can provide on this. If you can't provide any info, please recommend some people who can.

PS Please reply asap if you can. Thanks for your patience.

This is my comp information. I hope it helps you. Someday I will upgrade to Windows 7 HOme Premium 64 bit so let me know if the software/hardware you recommend works with win 7 64 bit.

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8181 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 939861 MB, Free - 834782 MB; D: Total - 14005 MB, Free - 1925 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 487880 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia, 1.01, 101002950002993
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security,

Posted on Jan 18, 2011, 10:25:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011, 10:31:19 PM PST
well I would rip the video uncompressed and then convert to desired output. Some camcorders that are ancient have analog pass through the firewire for conversion. Set it up in premiere and hit record. As far as output, what do you want to do to the file? MP4 is now the way to go and handbrake is free but that isn't a DVD format that is very common so you cant just take the disc to gmas and play the family video.
Q;Also I have heard of people ripping the video off of a dvr onto a computer. I'm not sure if it's the same process for vhs
A: yup, same same. you are just taking an rca or svideo output and converting it to USB or firewire...or pluggin it directly into a card you cant afford. A lot of the programs let you set a target size so if you want x amout of video to fit to 700mb CD then just set it and it will figure out the compression rate.

As far as disk space, a caviar green 2tb is only a hundred bucks.

As far as budget, buy what you can afford and if it doesn't pan out return it to amazon. you are only out shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011, 5:35:26 AM PST
jwde3 says:
Can you recommend a capture device? (not a camcorder) Are the ones in my original post good enough? Also are you saying that the software that comes with a capture device will set the size to 700 mb? Which capture device and software is this? And is that just with a dvr?

Yes I want to use mp4 format. Will that be a problem?

I know Amazon is supposed to have a good return policy. But are their merchants known for same?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. I'm still learning. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Recording forum (27 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Recording forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer