Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

No One has satisfactorily answered the question: What came before The Big Bang? How did the Big Bang Come From Nothing and From Nowhere to "Create" This Universe? What happened Before Space and Time and Matter?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 5:33:35 PM PST
brunumb says:
Ben West: "The first day was when the Light came into the physical world and the second day was when the first firmament or heaven was made."

I'm guessing here, but I don't think you really understand the nature of light.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:43:04 PM PST
Ben West says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:45:42 PM PST
Ben West says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:47:44 PM PST
Ben West says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 7:53:18 PM PST
D. Thomas says:
Hoo boy. You are QUITE the pseudoscientist, Ben.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:02:19 PM PST
Ben West says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:31:59 AM PST
brunumb says:
Ben West: "Jesus is the Light of the first Day,..."

That's just gibberish Ben.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:37:38 AM PST
Sure he could. But it's a lot easier to see something you already believe to be possible. In any event, ideas don't really come from just one place. They bubble up from a sea of analogy and 'noticings' (perceptions about analogies), in a way that's quite hard to trace, even for he who has the idea. For myself, I'm fairly sure that whatever ideas I get have been at least partially "primed" by environmental factors (That is, maybe there are components of the idea already floating around in the concept space of the culture) and history.

Anyway, this line seems off topic to me, so I'd rather skip it, here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:43:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 4:45:11 AM PST
Why do I get the impression that your real name is Aman?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:48:50 AM PST
Ben West says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:51:41 AM PST
Ben West says:
Randall R Young says:
Why do I get the impression that your real name is Aman?

Dear Randall, I am a fan, but my name is not Aman.

God's Multiverse (God's Truth)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 4:58:46 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Actually, Ben, it's Lucifer who is the "Light of the first Day". After all, Lucifer means "Light Bearer". How the word lucifer, a Latin word which stands for Venus, the "Morning Star", was turned into Satan by the Christians is an interesting story, but not at all true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 5:08:50 AM PST
Ben West says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:00:27 AM PST
One of a very few, it would seem. Why it is that authors do not have to pay *us* to read this sort of thing will perplex me to my grave.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:23:25 AM PST
sfon says:
Nancy Davison says: "Actually, Ben, it's Lucifer who is the "Light of the first Day". After all, Lucifer means "Light Bearer".

Nancy's right. 'Lucifer' means 'light bearer'. Also, 'Lucid' means clear, bright. Lucent: glowing, giving off light, bright, shiny.

I'm not saying there's any such being for which we could (or should) literally argue its characteristics, it's just that the etymology of the very word refers to 'light'. Religious ideas change over time, mythologies are altered, but the etymology of this word still reveals the original concept. The character 'Lucifer' obviously represented something different to the ancient Hebrews than it does to subsequent and modern Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:39:11 AM PST
In that case, anyone whose ever heard of the concept that God created the world could be similarly influenced. That tends to dilute the whole argument completely out of existence, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:45:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 7:48:23 AM PST
Perhaps. Nolo contendere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:47:13 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:51:03 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
Dear Irish, Sorry, but I'm new here. It takes a while to get used to posts which are not attributed."

In the upper right-hand corner of each post is a link. It either says, "In reply to your post on ...." or "In reply to an earlier post on..." If you click on it, the post it replied to will drop down and you can read it and, at the bottom, it will say who posted it. If you left click on it, it will give you an option to open it in a new tab of session. Both ways work well to let you see which post is being addressed by the one you are reading. That's part of the reason it's so very annoying when a poster doesn't use the "Reply to the post" link.

You're the author of this tome you keep posting, aren't you? It's dreck, Ben. And promoting it can get you banned as it's a violation of the TOS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:52:26 AM PST
Kenyon, you are a one-man kangaroo court! In fact, you don't even need the "accused" to render your verdict!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:52:30 AM PST
Irish Lace says:
Ya' think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:53:02 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:57:28 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:03:15 AM PST
Well, I guess it should be obvious that anyone capable of defending the OP was likely to be... shall we say, quick on the trigger finger, at the expense of accuracy?

His next contention is a thing of beauty, in the absurdist tradition of Monty Python!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:14:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2013 8:20:46 AM PST
sfon says:
Kenyon says: "I think that anyone who reads Hawking and Mlodinow's description of the pre-Bang universe, and doesn't admit to taking the slightest step back and pondering it as a 'G-d concept', probably isn't being very intellectually honest."

What you imagine as dishonesty is actually a different way of thinking. Some see it as a naturalistic concept, and do not inject a 'deity/god' into everything they see.

I have a good friend who often says, when observing natural phenomena, "It makes you think there must be a god behind all this, doesn't it?"

The answer, for many, is 'no'. Some people's minds may habitually conjure a 'deity concept' in response to various experiences, ideas, or phenomena, but not all people do this.

To be clear, I don't mean "habitually conjure" in a negative way, but just that different people think along different lines.

Kenyon says: "Of course, I have no doubt that our atheist trolls are going to insist that I'm completely wrong about this. In their case, it might be possible that they aren't being intellectually dishonest, but are merely dumb."

Here, you merely attempt, in advance, to diminish anyone who would disagree or think differently than you.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  121
Total posts:  3730
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions