Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

National Rifle Association (NRA) is EVIL!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 403 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 1:13:08 AM PST
R.M. says:
You are sick and should seek help. I'm serious. You may be suffering from a psychosis.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 1:45:37 AM PST
Ehkzu says:
I tend to reserve the word "evil" for those who take pleasure in harming others, and the word "amoral" for those who don't hesitate to harm others if it profits them, but take no pleasure from the harming.

In that sense the NRA isn't one thing. At least 2/3 of the members are sane, responsible sportsmen/women. One third are gun nuts. (going by the fact that 71% support universal background checks before purchase.) And the leadership is fundamentally a group of lobbyists working for the gun manufacturers.

So yes, it supports many activities to promote gun safety. But its legislative agenda has become extremist over the past few decades, claiming rights under the 2nd Amendment that would astonish to Founders who wrote the Amendment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 5:52:46 AM PST
John,

I AM not excusing anyone, but I AM correctly accusing those that are guilty and culpable. I pray that by my accuratetly labeling the NRA and its members as being evil - including you - that you won't get pissed off and drunk, and go on a shooting outrage!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:04:31 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:05:53 AM PST
jpl,

"I'm in favor of banning all assault weapons, rifles, and handguns. To keep the deer population down, people can use compound bows, which will also afford them the pleasure of enjoying target-shooting competition (and requires more skill)."

Amen!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:10:07 AM PST
John,

You're a d'evil! You are a gun-loving propagandist and promote killing. "Thou shall not kill!" - Commandment from GOD.

The NRA secretly loves criminals! They buy alot of guns and cause hate and fear to spread so "non-criminals" will buy guns to supposedly "defend themselves". Weapons dealers love it when they can sell their killing instruments to both sides in a conflict.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:13:57 AM PST
Kathleen,

"You remember the NRA that my ex-husband belonged to back in the 1960s & 70s. The NRA is A LOBBYING ORGANIZATION. My ex-husband left the NRA because, according to him, "It has gotten way too crazy!" He became very concerned about the values and beliefs that it began promoting that had nothing to do with firearms safety. Law enforcement has had to leave the NRA since it no longer represents the values and safety of law enforcement."

Amen!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:19:21 AM PST
John,

Did you become a policeman because you love guns and wanted to be able to kill someone 'legally'? Of course, many policemen aren't gun-lovers, but it's been my experience that many are!

You're a 'Life-member' of the NRA - that's nothing to be proud of - you should feel shame. I can guarantee you that in your next life/lives you won't be!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:23:53 AM PST
Rick,

What a d'evilish twist you put on that! There is a GOD and His Christ has returned to "judge everyone according(74) to their actions."

"To err is human, to repent divine, to persist devilish" - Benjamin Franklin

Synchronism: 12/20/12 09:23 Freemasons on History Channel

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:27:30 AM PST
Rick,

It is you who are a sick gun-lover. It is you that spreads fear and hate. It is you that should seek help from GOD and His 'chosen ones' throughout the centuries. I AM serious. You are suffering from mental illness and your soul is EVIL! WARNING! Your Judgment Day may be today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 6:37:03 AM PST
Ehkzu,

The slave owners were evil, agreed? And those who didn't own slaves, but supported the institution of slavery were also evil, agreed?

Where do you get your 'numbers'? You're just making them up based on your opinion, right? I can do that too...

At least 74% of the members of the NRA are insane, irresponsible gun-lovers just waiting for a chance to shoot somebody - anybody! They are greedy, materialistic, hateful, prejudice, and are now being judged by GOD and His Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:23:12 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
Hello Brad Watson, Miami,

Thanks for your explanation. I will confess that I am a sinner, but not because of my membership in the NRA.

May I ask if you're a sinner?

If so, we're both in need of God's grace and forgiveness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:34:35 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
Hello Brad Watson, Miami,

May I ask how you reached your conclusion that the NRA "doesn't give a damn about law enforcement and firearms safety ..."? As I mentioned earlier, I'm a Life Member of the NRA and a retired Chief of Police. The NRA always supported law enforcement and promoted firearms safety.

If saying that somehow transforms me into an "evil gun-lover" in your eyes, I suppose I'll just have to live with that. It was my hope that we could engage in an objective discussion, but you've made your mind up and prefer to stand in judgment of us.

You've cast the first stone. You must consider yourself to be without sin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:36:22 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
Criminals don't usually buy guns, Brad Watson, Miami. They usually steal them.

I see that you do not hesitate to speak for God. Fortunately for a sinner like me, God doesn't believe he's you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:38:59 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
I needed a job, Brad Watson. That's how I got into law enforcement.

I'm a competitive shooter and joined the NRA when I was in my early 20s. They offered a number of Hunter/Safety courses and I took some of them.

You seem to harbor some anti-police attitudes. May I ask if you consider all police officers to be evil?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:43:28 AM PST
And more suffering for the deer before the kill shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:50:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 10:52:09 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
There's obviously nothing evil about the good, salt-of-the-earth people who belong to the NRA standing up for their right to defend themselves, with the tools necessary to do so successfully, from those who truly are evil in this messed-up world of ours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:52:00 AM PST
Astrocat says:
That's right, Katydid. The whole thing about "keeping the deer population down" is just a smokescreen for those who just love to go out and kill something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:53:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 10:53:19 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
"That's right, Katydid. The whole thing about "keeping the deer population down" is just a smokescreen for those who just love to go out and kill something."

So you want to see deer herds suffer from starvation and rampant disease?

Does that make you evil, too?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 10:57:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 10:59:56 AM PST
Astrocat says:
Bill, the deer were doing just fine before human beings started killing them. When the herd gets too big the does stop producing offspring until the numbers are down. This new excuse is really pathetic. It used to be that the hunter was feeding his family, and there was, no doubt, some truth in that at one time. But it's simply not true anymore. It costs more for a hunting trip than it does to go buy pig meat or cow meat at the store, and there are plenty of ranches where one can buy a half or whole cow, lots of chicken ranches and so on.

So hunting deer to keep them from starving is a very, very think excuse for the man whose killer instinct just has to be scratched by shooting at wild animals.

I wrote a poem about this some years ago:

HUNTING
Nancy McDonald Davison

Is there something in a man
that loves to shed the blood of wild things,
makes him breathe faster while he gazes at
the heads whose glassy eyes stare
sightless from his paneled walls -
the disembodied proofs of atavistic lust?

If he could once excuse himself
by saying that he killed for food,
that claim rings hollow now.
If for companionship,
there are more civilized pursuits
for herds of males to gather to themselves.

If for the chance to live
for even brief and stolen moments,
in the midst of grand and lofty mountains,
soaring pines and crystal night, then go,
but leave the guns, the bows and other
instruments of death behind.

Why stain the mountain-sides with blood
when joy can easily be found
by teaching others how to love the woods and hills,
the flowing waterways,
the deserts and the plains;
and share them with the creatures
left to live their lives in peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 11:01:18 AM PST
I have never gone hunting,(it's not my cup of tea - although I have gone target shooting) but members of my family have. Where I live hunting season is popular and well regulated. As long as they kill it the first shot and don't waste the deer, I'm okay with it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 11:45:11 AM PST
Westward Ho! says:
This is not about killing deer. Not my cup of tea either but I have many friends that enjoy hunting, and they do it responsibly with either bows or single shot rifles / twin barrel shotguns. This is about killing humans with semiautomatic weapons. You put a hunting rifle in Lanza's hands and I guarantee 20 kids don't die. In fact, he probably doesn't even attempt it because he would have been easily subdued after shooting the glass to get into the school.

The NRA is not evil. However, they are on a massive power trip. We don't need the NRA to protect our 2nd amendment rights. The constitution itself protects our 2nd amendment rights. The powers that be at the NRA believe that a ban on semiautomatic weapons (aka mass killing weapons) would diminish their power and set a course toward the banning of all guns. This is simply not true. The majority of US citizens now want a ban on semiautomatic weapons, but not all weapons. Total gun repeal would never pass, nor should it pass. Common sense has to enter the discussion at some point, and when it does the NRA will not be able to refute the fact that semiautomatic weapons have no pace amongst the general public. They are for the military and police, period. If NRA members are that paranoid about a potential police state due to the public not being as fully armed as the police and military, you need to find a more suitable country in which to live.

Yes, criminals sometimes do get their guns illegally but once there is a semiautomatic weapons ban, they would have to somehow get them from the police or military which would be a much more difficult task to accomplish. On the other hand, recent mass murderers have obtained their semiautomatic weapons legally from gun stores, gun shows, and relatives with legal semiautomatic weapons. There is no excuse for that, and the NRA will now have to produce a plausible explanation as to why semiautomatic weapons are necessary because the NRA is now in the minority.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 12:23:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012, 12:24:17 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
I disagree with you about the NRA being "on a massive power trip," Westward Ho. Look at this thread, for example.

Law abiding gun owners are being demonized as "evil." It's that kind of rhetoric that keeps me in the NRA.

I've used semi-automatic rifles and shotguns to hunt (a Browning BAR and a Remington Mod. 11). I prefer a bolt-action for hunting and a pump for hunting, though. What I don't want is some faceless bureaucrat who thinks guns are "evil" deciding what I'm allowed to use.

I'm still wondering why the actual murderer is excused and we're blamed for a murderous rampage that we had no part in and which we deplore?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 12:57:10 PM PST
John M. Lane: I'm still wondering why the actual murderer is excused and we're blamed for a murderous rampage that we had no part in and which we deplore?

Rachel: I see no one excusing the shooter. The fact of the matter that guns are so prevalent in society and that many Americans value gun ownership more than the lives of children is a point. The guns used in CT were all legally purchased by a woman interested in home safety (assuming here), but they didn't do her much good, did they?

As far as I'm concerned, the NRA has no credibility on this issue. They oppose any and all bans on any and all firearms and accessories, no matter what. Case in point is the Saturday Night Special issue. Those cheap handguns were made with one aim in mind: to kill people. The NRA fought against the ban tooth and nail. Likewise, assault rifles aren't intended for home protection or target shooting or hunting. They are designed to kill human beings, which is why they are used by the military. No civilian needs such a weapon.

I doubt your claim about using a BAR for hunting. It's much too heavy and unwieldy. That's why it needs a bipod for accuracy. Saying a "Browning BAR" is redundant, since BAR stands for "Browning Automatic Rifle." I'm not sure about this, but a real hunter would want to use a smaller caliber round for hunting to minimize damage to the meat. But if all you are after is death and mayhem, hey, a BAR would do the trick.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012, 1:14:02 PM PST
Westward Ho! says:
There will always be the extreme at both ends. It's the reason for the current political paralysis that plagues our nation. I don't own a gun and I never will. But to call you evil for owning guns, and belonging to an organization that promotes responsible gun use will not move the discussion forward. It will only foster more hate on both sides.

I disagree with your point that you are being blamed for that awful attack. However, the NRA's inflexible stance on banning semiautomatic weapons is fuel for pointing fingers.

I am interested to know why you feel the need to have a semiautomatic rifle. How many times can you kill the same deer? Kind of takes the sport out of the hunt, doesn't it?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1788 9 days ago
Weltanschauung 179 7 hours ago
Scientology? Is it a cult? 50 7 hours ago
What is enlightenment? 2446 7 hours ago
Who made up Jesus and why? 3474 9 hours ago
Hardwired to believe 33 11 hours ago
Significance of the Sign in the Sky on September 23, 2017 104 11 hours ago
keep one change one started 14 January 2017 4587 13 hours ago
Are we Sims? 301 14 hours ago
Purden of Boof 214 18 hours ago
Today In muslim History, Part II 2263 1 day ago
Orthodox Dilemma 1 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  403
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers