Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why Are Atheists So Obsessed With Religion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 1:17:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:17:46 PM PST
Lj3d says:
Mr. Krinkle: What is this, a fallacious appeal to authority based on an incorrect understanding of Einstein's views?

Lj3d: Never fails to amuse me when some religious people pull out the Einstein quotes which they then take and quote mine, as you have shown that being done here. Even if Einstein was religious, I'm not suddenly going to find religion.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 1:17:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:18:43 PM PST
Since he took apart your false assumptions with detailed example, the fault lies with you, FH.

If you don't know what you're talking about, step aside for someone who actually does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:18:33 PM PST
Hinch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:19:31 PM PST
I live in a country where the vast, vast majority self-identify as being theists. In this country, a vocal, politically active minority is engaging in irrational, destructive, toxic actions, and using their religion as a justification.

As such, at the very least it is in my best interests to be aware of their actions, and the beliefs which motivate them.

More importantly, I need to do my part to speak out against those actions, and, to the extent relevant, the beliefs which motivate those actions.

It is also in my best interests to counter the many misconceptions which are levied against atheists and atheism on a regular basis.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 1:21:10 PM PST
A Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:21:39 PM PST
Hinch says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:21:53 PM PST
It is only now that atheists are able to be as "out" about their ideas and beliefs as theists have been for thousands of years... only today, atheists don't have to fear being stoned to death or burned at the stake or jailed for doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:24:03 PM PST
A Customer says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:24:18 PM PST
Hinch says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:25:00 PM PST
And here is the third copy of the same post...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:29:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:30:24 PM PST
Lj3d says:
F. Hincholson: Maybe you need to step aside. No one took apart any of my "assumptions".

Lj3d: When I saw your initial post...I assumed it was an attempt to show atheists that one of the worlds best known scientist was theist and that because he was theist, maybe atheists and even ags like myself should suddenly convert from non belief to belief.

Then the full context of Einsteins words came up. That looked to me like your argument falling apart. A theist pushing their view by preferrentially quoting a scientist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:31:02 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
R. Hanley says:
Mr. Krinkle is a good debater. He ignores 90+% percent of my post and focuses on what he thinks he can refute.

K: I refuted what was wrong. You are wrong about Rushdie. You are wrong in that many non-Westerners do in fact speak out for atheism and against various religious beliefs, and you are ignoring the fact that for many non-Westerners, speaking out for atheism is extremely dangerous.

R. Hanley: BTW, isn't it interesting that some of our posters think Christoper Hitchens was so intelligent and his brother Peter was so stupid?

K: Mr. Hanley, leaving aside any debating skills, is employing a strawman and a red herring here, as I never said anything of the sort, and so he need not bring it up in any post addressing my posts.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 1:31:02 PM PST
Hinch says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:33:20 PM PST
Lj3d says:
F. Hincholson: It is also in my best interests to counter the many misconceptions which are levied against religion, especially Christianity, on a regular basis.

Lj3d: Even if it means resorting to prefferential quote mining?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:34:43 PM PST
Ku says:
"a vocal, politically active minority is engaging in irrational, destructive, toxic actions"

Could you give me some examples?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:35:20 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
F. Hincholson says:
Ok, then just the parts that relate to the question of this thread

"The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer." (Albert Einstein)

K: Yes, and if you really understand Einstein, you would know that he was not making any sort of generalization, simply noting that some believers, and some nonbelievers are bigots.

FH: "Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics"

K: Yep, no doubt such people exist in both groups, atheists and theists.

FH: Btw, true, Einstein didnt believe in a personal God. He did believe in a creator. Prove me wrong!

K: I have provided you with quotes already that demonstrate what Einstein meant when he talked of "God." If you wish to assert that Einstein believed in a "creator", the onus is on you to demonstrate this to be true. I reject your assertion, and have already explained why, with quotes. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please, feel free to share it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:36:11 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
Too bad your echoing "DING DONG" completely drowns out the "ding ding ding".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:38:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:45:39 PM PST
Only he did, FH, and made you look a fool doing so.

If your ego has to block it out, too bad for you. But it's there for everyone else to see, and you had best get used to it.

As for the appeal to numbers, consider this: no number of believers made the earth any flatter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:38:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:40:55 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:41:25 PM PST
Ku says:
Would you assume that God just happened to be there?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012, 1:42:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2012, 1:43:38 PM PST
Atheists are not obsessed with religion. They are concerned with the intrusiveness of it in our daily lives, in our government etc... It is being intrusive where it does not belong. However, some Christians seem to think it is their perfect right to ride rough shod over anyone who is not a Christian.

However Christians everywhere. You are atheists as well when it comes to belief in all other religions. Some Christians seem to think for some strange reason they have the "Truth." The truth somehow lies in this 'Johnny Come Lately" belief system known as Christianity and all other religions, gods of the past and present etc...are all obviously myths.

True Atheists just take it one step further and throw the Christian belief system on the myth heap along with all the other religions and 1000+ gods worshiped previously to Christianity.

However, Christians can not take the next step and look at their own precious religion as being so much dogma and myth as well. They dispense with all other religious beliefs easily and dismiss them as nonsense, but become blind, deaf and dumb when it suddenly comes time to evaluate and analyze their own ridiculous notions and delusions as it pertains to Christianity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:42:15 PM PST
Nick says:
not4n writes: I will believe your assertions when you can mix a few chemicals together, zap them with electricity and cause them to come alive and form DNA

Nick: No you won't, you'll just use that to assert that it proves someone (or something) did it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:46:38 PM PST
Hinch says:
1% of the population trying to remove any mention of God from everything.

I say 1% because even though I believe as much as 5% of the population is atheist, I also believe most athiests are reasonable people who are not offended by the religion of others. I also believe some people go around looking to be offended.

In America, everyone has a right to their beliefs or non-beliefs. We have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. There are things that offend me, but I can't remove everything I find offensive. Life isn't fair. Deal with it. We live in a representative republic. Majority rules, for the most part, unless people are beng oppressed. Athiests are not being oppressed.

I've had athiest friends. I dont try to change them, they dont try to change me. It works out pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:46:55 PM PST
Mr. Krinkle says:
F. Hincholson says:
I live in a country where the vast, vast majority self-identify as believing in God, and mostly the Christian God. In this country, a vocal, politically active minority is engaging in irrational, destructive, toxic actions, and using their atheism and claims of being offended by symbols of religion, as a justification.

K: And leaving aside the toxicity of the vocal minority atheist group, which group is it they are generally reacting to? The "Christian Right", those who belong to a group best described as "Religiously Correct?" Would it be a very vocal, politically active, irrational, destructive, toxic group of Christians who believe that the U.S. is, and was founded as, a "Christian nation", who wish to legislate their religious beliefs, and even go so far as to attempt forcing Creationism to be taught in schools, reject gay rights, etc.?

To what degree is this politically active minority simply reacting to another politically active minority with much, much more influence and control?

FH: It is also in my best interests to counter the many misconceptions which are levied against religion, especially Christianity, on a regular basis.

K: Yes, it is, and you should.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012, 1:47:11 PM PST
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  1231
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers