Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why do I need to pray in order for God to help me? : Questions to God: Part 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 371 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 12:13:11 PM PDT
Pathfinder-
AAA wouldn't show up even I called since I'm not a member.
Aside from that, does God always show up when someone calls? Thousands of babies die everyday around the world. Is that just because no one is calling on God to show up?

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 12:24:51 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:

The prayer of the hypocrite, meaning praying in public and in churches.
Babbling as pagans do.
Those two alone pretty much nail every church-going Christian today.

The prayer itself is about telling God to do his will. Does that prayer actually need to be said being that God is going to do his will regardless?

Where is the listening and "coming into tune" part?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 12:34:09 PM PDT
DKK -- He always keeps it a surprise.

Well, maybe He does, indeed. That doesn't mean that He isn't listening.

You do not see your need for Him. I agree. Maybe THAT is what you might consider praying about? Just because YOU do not see your need, doesn't mean that need is not real.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:29:34 PM PDT
Pathfinder says:
Dakillakon.....You look at death as an end of something.....death is really the beginning of something much greater. We live on a planet that has diseases and dangers that can easily kill us. Our bodies are frail in a variety of circumstances. We are put on earth for a period of time....the time for one person is not the same amount of time for another. When we die we move beyond this frail physical existence and receive something more wonderful. A place that is many times more beautiful than our planet could ever be. What we receive at the end of our journey is determined by our Heavenly Father. Simply put....if you live your earthly life with him...than it does not matter whether you are alive or dead....you will be with him after you die....and you will receive eternal life.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:54:15 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
DKK - Are you the fair judge, DKK? I guess you are another one of those amazing mind readers. The prayer is about accepting God's will, DKK.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:01:04 PM PDT
Prayer is a form of wish.
If inculcated from early childhood, most will pray out of habit.
If questioned or challenged thereafter, then one invents creative justification, to avoid looking irrational.
It is inherently difficult to accept that one was given silly things from their parents, that their religion is silly etc etc.
There are people who pray to a monkey. They are people who pray based on a religion started by savage debaucher.
That should give you a good idea, why it cannot be stopped.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 2:19:53 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
SKS - Painting with the broad brush today, aren't we.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:53:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 6:54:25 PM PDT
soct the gat says:
quert, first of all, I didn't claim that I understood the all. I just said that a "direct understanding of the all" was a more accurate description of mysticism than the sending and receiving of messages. Second, I said "the all", not "all things". It is like saying "I understand where you are coming from" rather than "I understand you completely".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:20:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 7:25:45 PM PDT
quert says:
5m: " Second, I said "the all", not "all things""

Yes, that's what I said, too. My disagreement arises from the claim that its humanly possible to "directly understand the all", by which I mean totality or comprehensive reality. We may try our best to perceive reality as it's presented to us and by using our limited faculties, but its impossible to even comprehend what "the all" is, let alone understand it.

I do apologize for mistakenly assuming you felt you had an understanding of the all.

Eta: btw, do you feel a majority of the Christians on this thread have a mystical understanding of their Christ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:23:12 PM PDT
soct the gat says:
quert, saying a "direct connection" would have been a better way of saying what I think. I see how "direct understanding" is confusing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:31:33 PM PDT
quert says:
5m,,yes that clears things up. Regardless if our stand on belief, most of us feel a connection to this experience in some respect.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:20:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 8:23:43 PM PDT
Aardwizz says:
Pathfinder: "if your car broke down do you think AAA would automatically show up if you do not call them?"

"OnStar... we've detected a problem with your car. Do you need assistance?"

So, uh, yeah. And OnStar isn't as omniscient as God is supposed to be.

õ¿õ¬

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 6:11:46 AM PDT
Jeremy - I saw my need for God for decades. And after all those years, I finally decided to drop it, since not a single prayer of mine could ever be justified as answered by God, and never did I "hear" anything from this supposed creator of the universe.

"He who has ears, let him hear."

I have ears, but never heard a peep. Meanwhile, I found myself sitting next to hundreds of people over the years claiming that God was doing everything good in their lives because of constant prayer.

Hundreds of unstable hypocrites who pray like pagans, according to Jesus. Hundreds of people who believe that demons, angels, and ghosts exist. Hundreds of people that think that by simply speaking your needs to imaginary, invisible people, that your wishes will be answered.

I guess you're right. I don't see the need for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 6:17:41 AM PDT
Pathfinder - No, I look at death the same way I look at birth. A transfer of matter and energy.

Let me ask you something. How did you feel about the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776? Or the Emancipation Proclamation in 1862? Or the writing of each book in the Bible?

You didn't feel or think anything because you didn't exist, just the same as you won't exist after you die.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 7:12:34 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear quert,

You said :"First of all, sorry it took me so long to reply, Vicki."

No problem. :)

You said :" I can only respond with, well sure, who doesn't want unfailing, unconditional love and acceptance? But, for me it becomes a question of whether that's a practical desire or a product of wish-fulfillment. Somehow it seems more reasonable to me to accept the reality of life, warts and all, and be grateful for the good times and good people we do find."

I can understand why you would say this. The possibility that there exists a God who loves us seems like an 'iffy' idea for you, so why not accept the love of people as all there is?

People come to God for a lot of different reasons. Some of us find that receiving God's unfailing love, satisfies our deep seated desire to be loved perfectly, so we can love others as they are (which is one of the things that Jesus did- love people as they were and where they were).

I might not be explaining this quite right. I don't exactly come from a perfect background- so I know what it is like to be betrayed by people closest to me at a very young age, so I had 'trust issues'. When a person has been wounded to their very core by people who love them, God's love is extremely compelling. I found that there was a noticeable effect, discernable changes in my life, attitudes, and thinking, after accepting God's love. It really is not the effects of wishful or positive thinking,

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 7:16:40 AM PDT
Aardwizz says:
Vicki says: "[P]eople's love is as flawed as people are, but God's love is perfect."

People have discovered that, when you really love someone, you don't give them everything they ask for, or even give them what they need. Doing so simply makes them dependent on you and your generousity. You do them a favor by denying them.

Now, if God's love is "perfect", then he will do this perfectly -- and never give us anything, no matter how much we beg for it or are convinced we need it. Therefore, every single prayer will go unanswered BECAUSE He loves us so much.

This makes for an interesting conclusion, however. The result of an infinitely loving God and an uncaring (or non-existent) God are identical.

The same holds true with every other "infinite" attribute of God. Infinite power would destroy the universe, so infinite restraint must be applied. Result: nothing; just as if there was no God.

õ¿õ¬

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:00:47 PM PDT
The ignorant practice of prayer was started by pagans, from where they went to Semtic faiths as well as Hindus.
Pagans used to pray to everything possible.
Hindus carried that tradition, whereas Semites went the other way and pray only to one.
But the ignorance is quite old.
Infact, most educated people also cannot give this up, as it becomes a habit.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 12:01:26 PM PDT
BTW, God does exist. It is just that God has nothing to do with ignorance of religions or their prayers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 12:49:51 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
S - I see you have never experienced effective prayer, what a shame it forms such a bond of trust.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 12:50:24 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
S - Did He create the material world?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:08:44 PM PDT
witchie+ says:
You do need to be careful what God you pray to. You may think you are praying to the God of Jesus Christ, but how can you be sure?

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:13:13 PM PDT
ILW,
Simple question.
If you are in trouble(ex unconscious), would you expect God, the all powerful, the all merciful, to help you even if you did not pray?
Would your father/mother help you if you were in trouble , say sick, even if you did not ask for help(say unconscious)?

You pray out of habit. You pray out of fear. You pray out of ignorance. But praying is pure wishful thinking.
It is what it is.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:24:25 PM PDT
ILW,
"did He create the material world?".

This is how I think.
I will believe what I see, experience and hear from rational and reasonable people.
Since I exist and I experience an Universe around me, something must have created me and all this things around me. That "something" does not seem to be interfering in our day to day lives.
That something has given us enough to lead happy and enriching lives.
That something is God to me.

Blind faith and religion are silly and primarily, people fall in it because their parents made it their habit when they were young and not in a position to question it.
People follow religion out of fear.

It is easy to see that people of different religions see their religion as right and others as wrong.
Basic common sense should tell them that they have been duped.
Basic common sense should tell them that if they are in trouble, praying does not help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:30:20 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
KMP - If you are founded in the Truth which Jesus established and seek the God which exists outside your self you can be sure that God will answer your prayers with what is good for us. Jesus promised that prayer to His Father was both heard and effective, and I trust Him.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 1:37:19 PM PDT
I. L. Walker says:
S - Yes and I would hope that others would pray for me as well. Yes I would hope that my parents would help me within the limitations human's face in regard to communication. My parents would have to be informed of my distress, God suffers no such limitation and insures the watchful eye of the guardian angel. I pray out of recognition, not habit. I pray in trust, not fear. I pray out of awareness, not out of ignorance. Prayer is pure communication with the unseen, not the non existent. It is what it has always been.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  371
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions