Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Why amazon does not uses word "christmas" ?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012, 8:45:50 PM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 2:39:01 PM PST
Bookworm™ says:
Colonel Mike says: "America was founded as a Christian land (and later nation-state)."

This statement is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. Aside from the fact that this land was already populated by non-Christian people before the Europeans arrived, you might want to read the Constitution and a little history about the religious beliefs of the Founding Fathers. This country was founded on the principle of religious freedom, which includes freedom for people to practice Christianity or whatever other religion they choose or no religion at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 2:40:22 PM PST
T. Call says:
Did Santa bring you that huge wide brush last year or was it handed down in your family?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 2:40:37 PM PST
Penguin says:
"I don't understand this need for excluding people of other or no faith. "

Some people enjoy excluding others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 2:45:46 PM PST
>>>>
not like the anti-christians/atheists/etc. are not creating an issue over Christians and just those who enjoy Christmas when we express our traditions.
<<<<

No one is offended when you say Merry Christmas. They're only offended if you use their tax dollars to say it. There is no state religion that they should be required to contribute their tax dollars towards.

The issue isn't that you can't say Merry Christmas. The issue is that some folks get out of shape when someone says the more inclusive "Happy Holidays". The issue is people who think that when others are being inclusive, it is somehow excludes them.

If you're offended by the inclusive "Happy Holidays", do not expect me to go out of my way to treat you as if you're more special than anyone else. You were included in the "Happy Holidays", as was everyone else. Deal with it that you're not only not the center of the universe, but you're not the very definition of the universe, either.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 3:11:37 PM PST
Christmas is the Official USA Government Holiday. There are no Other Official Government Holiday during the Holidays!!! So Merry Christmas to All. And yes support the stores who use the official Government Holiday called Christmas.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 3:14:22 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 3:38:53 PM PST
Miss Fixit says:
I celebrate Christmas and I'm totally cool with a holiday sale. Obviously, Christmas is not the only holiday during this time. However, I do take exception with the media adoption of the term "Holiday Tree," as much as some would not take kindly to the sudden adoption of the term "Holiday Candle Holder."

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 4:02:52 PM PST
Wyldemajik says:
It is NOT a Christmas tree. The use of an evergreen tree in winter celebrations pre dates Christianity - by centuries. According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, "The use of evergreen trees, wreaths, and garlands to symbolize eternal life was a custom of the ancient Egyptians, Chinese, and Hebrews. Tree worship was common among the pagan Europeans and survived their conversion to Christianity in the Scandinavian customs of decorating the house and barn with evergreens at the New Year to scare away the devil and of setting up a tree for the birds during Christmastime."

As to those posters who claim the majority of Americans are Christian therefore their rights should supersede every one elses, that is not the way America works. The government is not allowed (by the Constitution) to establish one religion over any other religion. You can personally place any religious symbol you want on your private property, wish people "Merry Christmas" "Happy Hannakuh" or "Happy Solstice" or anything else but public property cannot be used for such displays.

As a private business Amazon has certain freedoms as well. They don't have to say "happy Christmas" or even "Happy Holidays". They can choose to ignore the whole season and carry on business as usual (but they would probably lose money doing so). They use the term holiday to include as many potential customers as possible.

Most so-called Christmas traditions are based on much older pagan traditions and defending them as if they were holy Christian ideas is naive and ignorant.

James is right the official holiday is called Christmas, which really it shouldn't be IMHO. But he is wrong about Christmas being about Christ's birth. Because if Christ existed he was born in the spring, shepherds are not in the fields in winter, nor would a King take a census then as travel during winter would have been too difficult.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:06:37 PM PST
lee says:
Its all good! this time its perfect.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 4:08:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2012, 8:41:01 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 4:09:07 PM PST
Isn't christmas over - with the war on christmas and all. Atleast Oreilly thinks so. Must must be true whatever he says.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:10:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 4:47:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:22:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 4:53:18 PM PST
"The preceding seems to support my statement that America (the United States of America) was founded as a Christian land"

No it doesn't. Are you by chance trying to equate "founded as a Christian land" with "Christianity was introduced"? That's quite a stretch.
Christianity was introduced to a lot of places in the New World up and down the Atlantic coastline during the 16th and 17th centuries; that doesn't mean the countries later formed there were "founded as a Christian land", does it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:28:00 PM PST
>>>>
The preceding seems to support my statement that America (the United States of America) was founded as a Christian land (and continues to be a Christian nation-state!).
<<<<

It would "seem to" only if you make a number of false assumptions, and extrapolate those false assumptions using faulty inductive logic, and ignore historic records.

But, hey, whoever said education was important in cementing one's beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:28:18 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:46:30 PM PST
D. Hines says:
They're probably hoping Bill O'Reilly and his half-wit fan club will give them a bunch of free advertising.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:49:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 4:50:20 PM PST
Can this be any more clear, Colonel Mike?

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

-drafted in 1796 by George Washington and signed by John Adams in the Treaty of Tripoli (Article 11)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:50:13 PM PST
B. Perry says:
You may have inadvertently arrived at a solution. On the single day of 12-25, Amazon puts up a banner, "Merry Christmas." Until that day, Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:50:14 PM PST
>>>>
Because when you take Christmas out of Christmas you don't have Christmas. You have somthing else.....
<<<<

You have everything else.

There's quite a bit to Christmas that has nothing to do with Christ. Decorated trees. A mythical man who visits every good child in the world to bring them gifts. A huge dinner with family. Lots of music that has no religious connotations at all. Stupid sweaters. Traditional drinks. A day off of work. And that's just naming a few things about how people celebrate Christmas that have nothing to do with Christ.

While churches are overflowing with people on Christmas Day, there are many people who self-identify as Christians that don't attend services. And darn few of those people who do attend services have made it the highlight of their celebration, let alone are making the day one of worship of their savior.

Heck, very little about the way Christians celebrate Christmas has anything to do with Christ. And it's been that way for longer than any of us here have been alive!

And that doesn't even get into all the people who are celebrating non-Christmas holidays.

A very, very small minority of people, probably less than a quarter of a percent of Americans, actually denote the day as one of celebration of the birth of Christ. Nearly everyone celebrating is partaking in some activity that has absolutely no connection to the birth of Christ. Few even make the birth of Christ a priority in the way they celebrate the day. Family, is by far, the part of the celebration that takes the lead for most Christians on that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:52:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 4:57:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 4:54:58 PM PST
R. Hills says:
the word CHRISTMAS is right at the top of my page... 9 days left to order for Christmas with free super saver Christmas

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 5:03:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 5:05:51 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 5:05:14 PM PST
Jeff says:
I have always wondered if people that bother with these ridiculous posts even have a life? The people who post this type of nonsense are nothing more then attention seekers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 5:07:33 PM PST
fefetootoo says:
Why are you so offended? I am an American and do not self identify as Christian but have no smidgen of a problem with someone telling me Merry Christmas nor I them. Xmas bothers me. Xmas smacks of laziness. But there are many religions. There is NO WAR on Christmas. Christians ( those who self-identify as Christians and let me clarify, some not all )seem to be trying to go out their way to be offended. What is wrong with the inclusive "holidays" use? IMHO nothing. What are wee to say to one another- "hey it's December-are you Muslim, Jewish, Pagan ? How shall I greet you in this month of holy or special holidays ?" Or could we just say "Happy Holidays!" with a cheerful smile and truly wish for that person to have Happy Holidays. Stop worrying so much about negative things that bring you anger and unhappiness. If that is too difficult, say Merry Christmas and rejoice in your own religion. No one is trying to take your Christian holiday away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 5:25:53 PM PST
American says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1783 May 13, 2017
keep one change one started 14 January 2017 3209 4 minutes ago
The essence of Christianity... 199 25 minutes ago
~THE CASTLE MIRTHRA~ First Reincarnation~ 6616 11 hours ago
Who made up Jesus and why? 2314 23 hours ago
Another 10,000 Quotes... 8001 1 day ago
Is "God" Perfect? 1087 2 days ago
Envisioning the Beginning 47 2 days ago
Splunge! 4 3 days ago
Today In muslim History, Part II 2047 3 days ago
Is Deepok speaking religion, science or merely bovine excreta? 108 3 days ago
Prob the Woofer: Beyond the Chessboard 6740 3 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  454
Total posts:  1541
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers