Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Religion forum

Atheists must have been hurt by religion at some point.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3001-3025 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 5:20:29 AM PST
Chuck says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 5:27:19 AM PST
Chuck says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 5:34:28 AM PST
zoltán says:
Chucky says: "You should read the book."

After having sampled the offering, I no longer waste my time with Ravi Zacharias.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:03:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 6:10:14 AM PST
quert says:
Don't be pernicious, F. The sites weren't given to show donations to charities, just listing some secular organizations. As far as secular community outreach, haven't you ever heard of the United Way?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:16:45 AM PST
B. Josephson says:
Dial 119 and you can contact your local United Way for help. If they cannot help they may be able to give you contact numbers to other agencies that can.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:35:57 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Why don't you tell us what you think is in it that's so important?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:37:39 AM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<F. Ramos says:
Deep down I think atheists can do much better than this. I would like to see an atheist organization that focuses on social ills at the individual level in a persistent and reliable fashion.>>>

You are now being dishonest, seeing as how multiple people have already explained to you why it makes no sense to expect there to be atheist groups doing these things.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:43:45 AM PST
zoltán says:
"Why don't you tell us what you think is in it that's so important?"

I wonder why it is that Chucky is loathe to explain his beliefs or argue his position in his own words.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:46:07 AM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<CAM says:
We will be judged based on Gods standard of His word, Not mans on either side of true salvation.>>>

Do you have evidence for any of the (at least) three assertions you make in this statement?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:21:25 AM PST
Banished says:
"Many are not against intelligent design in private, but against the politicized image that has been painted and brushed by the media. Impressions are powerful and many make decisions based on that than content of the arguments or updated lines of research. "

There is not, at this time, a scientific Theory of Intelligent Design and, to the best of my knowledge, no "research." If you have examples of either, would you mind sharing?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:22:31 AM PST
Banished says:
"If we don't know how something happened, the answer is simple-"We don't know"."

Now, sera, you KNOW they hate it when we say, "We don't know." In Godspeak, that is simply not allowed!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:24:04 AM PST
Banished says:
SOME people? Whew, I wish that were true. It's MOST people as far as I can tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 9:43:35 AM PST
quert says:
Z,

"I wonder why it is that Chucky is loathe to explain his beliefs or argue his position in his own words."

I don't think it's very hard to understand...CAM has joined the 'club' and it's his duty to uphold the party line no matter whether he agrees or not. If he doesn't delve into the particulars too deeply, it's simply easier to pass along the information that may become troublesome if examined or questioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:13:27 AM PST
Nearenough says:
Irish Lace says:
"Many are not against intelligent design in private, but against the politicized image that has been painted and brushed by the media. Impressions are powerful and many make decisions based on that than content of the arguments or updated lines of research. "

There is not, at this time, a scientific Theory of Intelligent Design and, to the best of my knowledge, no "research." If you have examples of either, would you mind sharing?

N: Theory: The dinosaurs were designed by a perfect, omniscient, omipotent and loving God.

The dinosaurs are all dead.

THe theory is a bunch of crap.

(You can apply this to any living thing today. They all get diseases [or traumatic injuries] and eventually drop dead. All of them.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:29:43 AM PST
Never said secular community outreach does not exist, but they are not atheist organizations in and of themselves. I work right in front of Parents Anonymous Inc. and they do great work at outreaching, but the organization is not made up of atheists. Both theists and atheists work there - just like all other secular organizations. Social work in general is open to anyone and the services are general.

What I was positing was that atheists gather together and allocate resources to make powerful good under their name. Seriously with 10 million atheists in the US, how much potential there is to make a name for themselves in a positive light. The fact that atheists are more than just people who have no beliefs in gods, they at least should show in what they do believe in such as willingness to help others in a committed fashion. Atheist organizations like American Atheists could change their image from court room law suits to community building like United Way and many churches. If you think about it churches and mosques don't have to be there either. They could let United Way and Parents Anonymous do all the work. But they are there because of voluntary membership and willingness to unite to spread some good irrespective if secular organizations exist or work in those areas. They take initiative and they make their own funding. I mentioned that some atheists do already this like Unitarians and Ethical Culture. But more need to make some notable and constructive impact. Minnesota Atheists group are one where they have tried such approaches. They have even tried an alcoholics anonymous equivalent. Its different when an average person goes out of their way to help you change you tire than when they change it because they work for AAA. Most people in churches don't get paid for their time or their services and they still commit in a notable fashion and in significant numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:39:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 2:11:22 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:40:57 AM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<F. Ramos says:
Never said secular community outreach does not exist, but they are not atheist organizations in and of themselves.>>>

And as multiple people have already pointed out, there is no reason to expect an explicitly atheist group to do such a thing. Your request makes no sense, as you now know since multiple people have explained why this is so.

Your continued insistence in this point means you are being dishonest, and acting in bad faith.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:47:00 AM PST
You can sponsor people. Child Fund offers sponsorship opportunities to the poor so they can accumulate their own money and make a business. You can buy them sewing machines or cattle and stuff like that to start their own small businesses. People are looking for sustainable things, not just meals. Is there a way to nullify the loan on the website? This would count as a donation in a sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 10:51:54 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I saw a news thing on like Kiva, and I think it is basically the equivalent of a donation if I'm remembering right. I don't think they go after them or something if they can't pay. From what I heard it's a good thing.

Obviously I'm all for charity too, but if this works then that's fine too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:08:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 11:09:53 AM PST
WolfPup said:

"I saw a news thing on like Kiva, and I think it is basically the equivalent of a donation if I'm remembering right. I don't think they go after them or something if they can't pay. From what I heard it's a good thing."

Essentially, what Kiva does is to guarantee loans made through micro-finance institutions, allowing them to loan to more people and in areas they may not normally do so in, as well as make the loans at lower interest rates. If the loan is repaid (it generally is, I believe the default rate is under 2%, and I've never had one default yet), you get your money back and can use it to guarantee another loan. This occurs on a monthly basis as the borrower makes payments. If the borrower does default, the loan guarantee funds are used to pay the lender for the remaining unpaid principal, so that there's no need for them to go after the borrower.

I think it's a very cool idea. Your "donation" can be recycled over and over again; as one borrower pays back, it can help out the next one. There are lenders there who have built up hundreds or thousands of dollars in, that they just keep cycling to new borrowers.

The other thing to keep in mind-these people are often in business for themselves, setting up schools and the like to help their communities, etc. In a lot of cases, they don't WANT charity-they just need access to some capital and are quite able to pay it back. It lets them retain a lot more self-respect to say that they took out and repaid a loan, than to say someone handed them something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:34:06 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Oh that's wonderful! So you've used Kiva? It's worked okay?

I think I'm going to do it if you've had an okay time of it. Obviously if I don't get the money back, well, that's not really the point, but if I do, then yeah, I get to just keep recycling it and hopefully help others!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:53:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2012 11:58:37 AM PST
A customer says:
B. Josephson says:
See this is getting down to real facts. Now we have to ask the next question, is that the only important variable. So can you say that the religon which gives the most charityi and volunter time is the the best religion, or are things a bit more complicated than that.

So if for instance a church demands its members give more than 50% of its income to the church, which is counted as charity, does that mean they are better people than those who give a far lesser percentage.

Superman: No, this is where I differ with a lot of Christians. Most think the more they give & the more they attend Church the more Christian they are. It's my belief, if you never tithe OR attend a church, as long as you have accepted Jesus as your Savior, then NOBODY is anymore Christian then you. I actually heard a Pentecostal Pastor preach this message, you could hear the "gasp" come from the elders in the Church.

This is a lot of the reason I left religion along with politics being preached from the pulpit. I just put my faith in Jesus, it has served my family well. We all must decide our OWN paths. I'm just a country boy, so I might not articulate as well as these "intellectual heavyweights".

When I say "intellectual heavyweights" I actually am complimenting them for being learned. I'm not jealous

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:59:03 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I personally think that's the case as an atheist, and I thought it when I was a Christian too. I think you're totally right about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 12:00:57 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 18, 2012 8:35:07 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 2:06:08 PM PST
quert says:
"The fact that atheists are more than just people who have no beliefs in gods, they at least should show in what they do believe in such as willingness to help others in a committed fashion."

They do, F, but just not under the banner of atheism. I think what you don't understand is that non-believers don't normally identify who they are as individuals by their non-belief. It's not the same thing as Christians' identifying themselves by their belief in God.

It's just common sense. For instance, do you identify yourself as, say, a non-extraterrestrialist? You may not believe that ET's exist, but this would just be a discussion point, not a life style choice.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Religion forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Religion forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  3113
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers