Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Rhythm and Blues forum

R&B Forum..."This n That"....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 8:53:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2009, 8:54:14 PM PDT
Media,

You sure you're not channeling Cheryl Lynn? Your answer sounded like the lyrics to her song "New Dress". lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 8:57:27 PM PDT
Collette,

As laid back as you are, I can't imagine you having a rage against anyone! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 9:07:57 PM PDT
Mike Lowery says:
Kev, I know how you feel. Last year when I showed my manager the evaluations that I did on my team, he said the one problem he had with them was that he felt I was hard on the team. He said he thinks I expect so much from them because I expect so much from myself. And I came off as hard on them because I was hard on myself. And that was the first time I really thought about that. And like you, I can be so hard on myself when I don't think things are as right as they should be. Or even worse, a mistake that I know I should not have committed and I constantly kick myself for. Those are the most difficult to overcome. But I've improved a great deal on putting crap behind me. I now say to myself, I made the fu**up, it's over, it's done, pickup and move on. I didn't kill anyone and keep in mind that I need to learn from it. And I usually do learn from it. I'm not one to usually make the same mistake twice. And I have 2 very close friends who are very far from being perfectionist....And I think that's the main thing that I like about them. And one of the reasons they are so popular with other people. They have sort of a carefree attitude about life. They let sh** roll off their shoulders. And I can be like that, at times, but there is quite a bit of control and monitoring that comes with mine.
Don't mean to drag on but there will be other times, namely this summer and we will give you enough notice in advance. And then you will actually get to meet more of the group.
Things will work out brotha!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 9:46:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2009, 11:02:53 PM PDT
Anita says:
Kev,
Remember these words, quoted in my husband, Smokey Robinson's book:

"From the time your are born
Till you ride in that hearse,
Ain't nothin' so bad
That it couldn't be worse."

Keep yo' head up, soldier, and hang in there!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 10:39:27 PM PDT
collette says:
Mal,
I might seem laid back, but I have a fair amount of anxiety and rage. Glad you didn't pick up on it. Oops, should have kept my mouth shut.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 10:56:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2009, 11:00:37 PM PDT
collette says:
Kevin-

Poor baby. Please know you have a lot of friends here in the short time we've known you on the Forum who are pulling for you. Hope you can find a suitable place to live. Nothing worse than that kind of stress. Well, IRS problems are close. Hope things get better because the posts aren't the same without your witty banter.

Have you tried a cup o kerosene to fix what ails you? Had to copy your line below as it could have been about my job. Feel like writing that on my next Professional Relations form. Glad you haven't lost your sense of humor.
*********************************************************************************************************************
Every friggin' night there's a meeting, and they're holding court about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Like every night their job is an episode of Fantasy Island or some ISH!
*************************************************************************************************************************
Take care and check in when you can.
Co

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009, 10:59:51 PM PDT
collette says:
Anita,
Well said (except the "my husband" part).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 4:48:00 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
Mal,

Nope. Not channeling Cheryl lol! That's just how I feel.

Collette's not laid back. She's a Leo...she chills and then when the time is right...attack! Ask me I know.

Kev, Hang in there! We have all had our moments, I went through one last night. Working OT under no damm direction...I'm going to work now, but if you see I'm on here more than I should be tomorrow, my a$$ got fired. I'm over the BS with maniac managers, bring on unemployment! I can't do it...

Hang on in there baby!!! lol!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 4:50:52 AM PDT
mediaagent says:
Oh, and to add to that...I've never been fired in my life. But I swear, I'm willing to go through it just to get away from this woman and project.

Pray for me y'all....I'm gonna be on the news if she doesn't get a grip today.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 5:48:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2009, 5:51:06 AM PDT
Andy B says:
Kev - hang in there! I am a firm believer in the old saying - "where there is life there is hope"

Here are some songs that should speak to you at this time:

"Tomorrow Robins Will Sing" - Stevie Wonder
"Three Little Birds" - Bob Marley
"Even Though" - Take 6 (w/Brian McKnight)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 6:45:09 AM PDT
Collette,

Re : Two Hearts - Pick One. Stephanie or Stacey Q - LOL!

Two hearts - or more. Our hearts here beat in secrecy. I know you. We're joined at the hip, but it's us! You know how some phony salesperson will say after you've tried something on; "Oh yeah, Now that's you." Something corny like that. We don't have to say that. I knew you guys would be there for me.

But as J.J. said in an episode of Good Times (which I've kept only THAT SCENE of the show - not the entire episode)

"It's good to hear anyway". (episode where he moves out and gets into illegal gambling w/two old friends)

Collette, I'm glad you find my sense of humor funny. It means a lot to know that I can contribute something -- and that we can help each other. I have, I already mentioned this, think about you guys at work. And I laugh. I then try to think of something different I can contribute the next day. I like being of worth and helping out.

Especially to you guys -- who appreciate things on a higher level.

We joke, we bug out, we inform. We're of great comfort and joy to one another. We're a dying breed. (uggh, death. did i say dying? i didn't mean that!!) We got each other! And as long as we do, we'll be just as lively when we reach 130 as we are now!

Trust me, happiness makes the heart grow fonder, and it adds longevity. I'm feeling better already - are you surprised?? We haven't known each other long, but it feels like we've known one another for ages. We have that much in common.

What new kind of chicanery we come up with next is always a delight. Its exciting. We're crazy! Its something to sign on here, this message group. We're anticipating, full of adrenaline. And adrenaline creates excitement. And that's good for the heart. I know it.

Collette, thanks for your cup of kerosene. Stop by sometime and we'll have a kerosene and crumpets get together. Out house is in the back, a hundred feet from the house. No telling how far you might shoot up into the air. Thought I might give you (AND ME) some 'breathing room'. LOL!

thanks for cheering me up!,
I WILL HOPEFULLY BE BACK THIS WEEK,

Kev

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 6:47:23 AM PDT
collette says:
Andy,
Had to chuckle when I saw your post. If I ever express feelings of depression on this post, please do not attempt to cheer me up with songs about birds. I have a bird phobia.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:13:54 AM PDT
collette says:
Kev-
Thanks for the kind words. Forgot to mention the side of Vicks. Actually, one of my students brought a jar of Vicks (we're all suffering from the creeping crud in my classroom these past few weeks). It made me laugh since we've had a few mentions of it on these posts, so I asked girl to bring jar up so I could have a hit. Actually, I felt better afterward.

I'd prefer the hot wings sans hot peppers, but what the h, I'll live dangerously.

Also, am thinking of boycotting B's. Mainly only go there to get my Tom Ford, Black Orchid perfume and a few selected items. I think I'll look online. Now that I know it's a sweatshop, don't want to do biz there. Had a friend who was a personal shopper at Nord and she said the same thing. Conditions got worse and worse (she was well-paid, but she earned every penny)and she finally quit.

Will try to check in from work, but the spies are out there. Other school just lost their e mail privileges, so gotta be careful.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:33:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2009, 9:49:45 AM PDT
Media,

Re : The Whatnauts

Oooo!!! I want so much to post my song now even though I hadn't planned to! Such a great intro. Hell, I'm going with it before someone else grabs it.

Girls - The Moments - 1974

Oooo, I'll get back to it later. Don't know when, but I will. Such good memories with this and my best friends singing it about different girls on the block. Forget it for now. I hate this!

I've been dying to talk to you -- I had one hell of an inspiration, based on everyone's latest posts. Another one, of course. For now though, I wanna thank you. Glad to know that you're here with me in spirit. If anyone (other than "blades of steel" Collette) knows irksome and unforgivably petty managers, it would be you. It really is tough and challenging to tolerate these fools. I . . . . do not suffer fools well. It's enough already.

They clearly don't know exactly what they're doing or what they want, but they have the power to order you around. Not easy. NOT EASY, LADY! You don't have to tell me!

But hearing fellow co-workers and you guys telling me to not "let them get to you" . . . . tells me perhaps, I am overreacting. I should listen and learn from you! YOU ALL! Excellent advice if ever there was. It's another layer in learning, in exemplary behavior. You beautiful, mellow people are the greatest.

You see? Sometimes, we do need each other. I'm only too glad to listen to you guys. I should. If it were someone else, I'm not too sure I'd be quick to hear 'em out. Thanks for being that someone else. And I know you guys can relate to what I'm saying here!

Coming from our parents? No! Our brother or sister? Hell no!! Our bosses?? Super Duper Eff No! A stranger we just met on the street? Sure! He's cool, open-minded, and understands. He gets it! Gets ME. Amazing. LOL!

Media, my crazy and super turbo charged friend, I can't chat today unfortunately and would love to be of some comfort to you if I can -- but I gotta do the do per my previous post. I gotta go out.

But you too, "Hold on for one more day"!!! - Wilson Phillips - 1990
Hell, throw in "Release Me" - 1990 also by them, for good measure

And put away that scimitar! No one's gonna believe that that's what you use to spread cream cheese on a bagel. S'matter with you??

stay sweet! and thanks for thinking of me,
i'll be alright. i am perhaps (ooo, i hate this!)
asking too much. i should be grateful.

three heads are better than one,
(or six fingers)
right, chiller theater host?

see ya around!,
Kev

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:40:46 AM PDT
Andy B says:
OK Colette, I'll bear that in mind - but based on this comment that you made -

"I'd prefer the hot wings sans hot peppers, but what the h, I'll live dangerously."

I see your phobia doesn't exend to birds when they are on a plate!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:43:56 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
That's the problem I have with her .... she is toooo extreme.
She advicates purchasing only when your credit is excellent, you have no debt and you have a healthy investment porfolio up the wazoo ....
How many people are in that position. I need someone a little more moderate...
Sometime the only way people can make major purchases is have it put them in debt for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:49:44 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Co,
LOL

That's another thing that troubles me about her ... She has $ up the wazoo and she's notoriously tight about spending ANY .... I don't fault people who are frugal, but when you have worked hard to make money, achieve financial security and then won't spend any .... That is a*s backward to me ... only Warren Buffett can do that and have it make sense!
HA

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:50:54 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Thank you sweetie! I don't think my dad ever watched an entire Audrey Hepburn movie .... he just liked her name!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:56:42 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Co,
Sometime I get so worked up in public over nothing that I just have to laugh at myself!
I am mellowing with age though ... A little bit!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:57:53 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Oh, he would love that. He loves getting recognition for his creativity!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 7:58:55 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
She's a naughty girl Co .... she has us slipping her alcoholic drinks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 8:06:35 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
Hey Kev,
Sorry to hear about your current situation ... What a pisser!

Won't insult you by claiming to know how you feel .... but this I do know ...
What ever your current situtation is it will pass and become but a memory ...

Typically. my advice at times like this is spiritual but since I don't know your religious proclivities (did I spell that right - Co?) I won't go there.

Don't forget that in the short time that you have been posting here, you have made quite an impression and there are folks here who care about you ... and we haven't even met you face to face yet! Isn't that deep!

Hang in there ..... God is not sleep! (couldn't resist)
Audrey

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 8:08:06 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
HA

Media,
The girl looked like you huh - LOL

That is hysterical!
I am not a real Jilly fanatic ... but I always saw her as being on a higher level.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 8:10:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2009, 9:57:23 AM PDT
Brooklyn,

Re : Laughing With Our Backs Against The Wall

I'm glad you can relate (the perfectionistic stuff). So good to know I'm not alone. I do know, like you, when I'm asking too much. From myself, from others. Please don't misunderstand B, just like you, I HAVE gotten a whole lot better! It's just that . . . . here's the kicker;

I will not burden other people ever with my problems. For example, take the rut, or the funk that I'm in now. If I had a wife, or kids, I would not stay this way for long. Probably not for an entire day. They should not suffer because "Kevin's a mess". That's my problem, and I gotta deal with it - while I attend to family matters. I know they shouldn't have to get shut out because of me.

I do feel bad abandoning you guys. I do. It's not right. I was gonna come back -- but I should've said something. I've been told this before by a former co-worker. (he said; "I totally cut people off") Don't worry, I'll get back to him someday too.

I just don't like hurting other people ever. Or burdening others with my problem.

I'm glad you want to listen to your manager in regards to his advice. It can be hard sometimes to listen to others when they criticize you or "TRY TO HELP" you. At the time they're giving it, it doesn't FEEL like advice. It feels like stern criticism. And you DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!

I know brother, I know. There are just some people I won't listen to! LOL! A problem? Yeah. . . . but that's another 50 page post -- and who wants to read that? But I am glad that you are (like me) aware of it.

We're too mature, we know it exists (our demanding ways sometimes), to let it get the better of us. I concede defeat. I can't have everything I want. As a Rolling Stones fan, I know you know the song that would fit to those lyrics.

Yuck, here goes: I'm . . . . . (d*** you!) getting up in years and it ain't fun. Having our cake and eat it too is now considered a luxury. The world is changing. I bests (you like that 1920's? 1940's reference?) be happy with what I do have, what I can get, be thankful, and not too demanding.

Things have worked out. Section 8 (sure you've heard of it) is a helper, I should use it for now, and maybe next year, I'll have enough wisdom and information (perhaps from you guys) to use it better!

Everything else, in the meantime, will fall into place. Things will, as you say, will work out!

Oh why did you guys have to steal my song? That's one of the best songs from a soundtrack ever! And, that song has a Latin feel to it too. Willie Hutch was the man! I have that album on vinyl with his big face on the cover. I hate lookin' at it as I'm scared of big objects. I get faint!

"I'll be around" - Ms. Izora Rhodes - live on "You Are My Friend"

Kev

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2009, 8:14:22 AM PDT
A. Whitaker says:
I agree with you Mal .... 110%

It's a talent to be able to be subtle and leave something to the imagination ...
Like with movies .... it's much easier to have an explicit sex scene than to convey sexual chemistry between a couple without the sex scene
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rhythm and Blues forum (857 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Obits 259 5 hours ago
Song Titles 4846 15 hours ago
What's in your player right now? 802 1 day ago
R&B Forum..."This n That".... 6326 2 days ago
What Time is it? 44 5 days ago
Mind-blowing Instrumentals 178 5 days ago
Song of the Day 347 5 days ago
Political SOUL 675 6 days ago
Headline News 100 6 days ago
prince- pilgrimage to chanhassen, minnesota 9 15 days ago
Great musical interludes in a vocal song 0 21 days ago
Heard today 1896 22 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rhythm and Blues forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  6327
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2009
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers