Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Who's over-rated?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2013, 4:00:34 PM PST
SuziBeth says:
To me:

-U2
-Jim Morrison
-The Beatles
-Michael Jackson (not rock, I know)

are all quite over-rated.
I understand that a big part of the over-rating of the Beatles is what they did was cutting edge at the time. Total game-changer (which is why some people feel Nirvana gets over-rated, but those people are horribly, horribly wrong, Nirvana's music is killer:)

Anyone else have artists you think are over-rated?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013, 7:44:30 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013, 7:48:17 PM PST
SuziBeth says:
LOL! Very Good! I actually left that one off the list. Oops.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013, 8:06:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013, 7:03:43 PM PST
Working Man says:
I like U2, they used to be the biggest thing going. Now they are yesterday's news, but I still don't mind them. For me what is more overrated (over blown) is the disslike of Bono. I think that's ridiculous.

The Beatles may seem overrated now, but in their day, they were ahead of everyone, including the Stones. The Stones, by the way are a band I feel is bit overrated. They are a great band, but they barely would make my top 25.

Jim Morrison was a great talent, wasted, but a great talent. He was a messed up poet. The Doors, to many were a singles band, but they had so many great album tracks. I think the Doors are actually underrated.

Michael Jackson. I am not a fan. I suppose you can say I would agree he was overrated. However, he's not my kind of music so I am not sure my opinion matters much.

As for Nirvana, they didn't much for me, but I am from a different generation and I suppose Nirvana was their generation's Beatles or Hendrix. From my perspective they were overrated and it seemed like their legend grew with Cobain's death. Like so many others, Queen and Freddie Mercury is another example as is Stevie Ray Vaughn. As for Queen, I liked them a lot in the early days, until they got too campy. They seemed to fade into the background until Mercury got sick and passed. Now they are legendary. As for SRV, he was up and coming and his just about to break through big time in my mind when he was killed. Now, he's a legend. I often wonder if others like Hendrix and Morrison didn't leave us and had prolonged careers if they would have faded and their places in rock history would have been drastically different.

In any case I think saying a band or artist is overrated is tricky because bands don't usually get a huge folllowing or reputation because the suck. It's usually, based on some sort of success or influence or something.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013, 9:02:28 PM PST
SuziBeth says:
Music is subjective, to a large degree. No two people are ever going to agree, song for song, artist for artist, right down the line. But I'm interested in others opinions about music, hence these discussion groups.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 3:11:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013, 3:16:52 AM PST
Modzilla says:
All bands are overrated by their fans no matter who they are; The Beatles and The Velvet Underground are two of my favourites and I'm prepared to wax lyrical about them myself but to read some of the things written about them, you'd think they'd found a cure for cancer or something...

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 12:00:08 PM PST
vivazappa says:
Linkin Park is overrated...
Cher (solo) is overrated...
Five Guys burgers are overrated...
Tribute bands are all overrated...
The band New England is overrated...
Peter Criss drum solos are overrated...
Beyonce's halftime show was overrated...
Bon Jovi tickets are overpriced...

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 1:09:30 PM PST
MarcoVG4 says:
viva - agree on all points.

U2 - I'm sick of 'em (early U2 is best) but realistically they're probably not overrated
The Beatles are going to seem overrated to many because the band listed at #1 on a majority of best bands of all times lists can only be rated too high in some opinions. I don't think The Beatles are overrated.
Jim Morrison overrated? I took a poll of 100 lizards and the result was no.
Michael Jackson is not my cup of tea at all. I have zero Michael Jackson albums. However, I don't think he's overrated.

The Who is not overrated. If you saw them in concert in 1972-1976, I don't think you'd be saying that.
Just based on the music - the songs - Nirvana is overrated. I'm not talking about album sales or how they saved the world from Michael Bolton & "created the grunge movement" (they didn't). Based on that criteria, Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True" is as important as "Nevermind."

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 2:50:49 PM PST
Love that first Who album. I wish it was more listened to and then overrated. At least more people will have heard it. It rocks!!!

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 3:03:47 PM PST
Music Lover says:
As comedian Jay Mohr says the main difference between Bono and God is that God doesn't walk around Ireland telling everybody he's Bono.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013, 3:50:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013, 3:51:09 PM PST
@Music Lover: I personally don't care about the size of a rock star's ego, they ALL have incredibly massive egos. For me, it's a matter of, can you make awe-inspiring *music*? For a while, Bono and his mates did indeed cut some incredible songs (not so much now, though). And unlike a lot of rock stars who just have big egos and nothing else, Bono has some justification for his messiah complex since he has, in fact, helped *millions* of people around the globe. Back in the late 90s I read one article--in a political paper, not a music rag--which mentioned that without him, hundreds of millions of dollars of African debt relief would never have happened. Seems like a stupid thing to me, to hate someone who actually works hard to do good in the world *and* created some pretty great music to boot, just because they have a big ego about it. I feel like it's just people trying to take him down a peg, because they're jealous of what he has accomplished.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013, 7:49:35 PM PST
tokolosi says:
"Tribute bands are all overrated..."

Zappa Plays Zappa

'nuff said ;-p

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 7:55:53 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Michael- we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I liked some U2 songs in the 80's but the sanctimonious messiah stuff does irk me and I've felt their politics elevated the band higher than their musical talent actually merits but this is only my opinion. I think U2 is a good live act and I enjoyed some of their work but they are not The Beatles or the second coming as some would have us believe. i'm sure they've done plenty for charity but many have and don't have to constantly call attention to themselves. I just don't personally want political or life advice from Bono any more than I would from Ted Nugent.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 1:30:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013, 1:33:24 PM PST
@Music Lover: the difference between Nugent and Bono is that Nugent doesn't do a thing for anybody, he just shoots his mouth off and threatens to kill our president. Bono actually puts his action where his mouth is and has been able to affect *big* changes on our planet. It's not just "charity work"; Bono actually gets his hands dirty and talks ceaselessly to diplomats, politicans, anyone who will listen, until the job gets done. He is not a partisan and meets with liberals and conservatives equally--*anyone* who will listen. It's hard work, and literally a second job. I am not aware of him giving "life advice" to his fans. Sometimes I think people vastly underestimate the work he has done or the time and effort he puts in to do it, thinking he's like Madonna or Angelina Jolie, someone who gives lip-service to Africa and maybe throws some money around, or adopts an African child, for a nice photo-op. Instead, his using music to try and affect *real* change in the world was a revival of the spirit of the 60s and I wish more bands would be more like that. SNL once joked that he was the "king of Ireland" but in actuality, he's done more using his status as a *musician* than the actual political leaders of Ireland have ever done, so if he wants to think he's king (he is actually a knight, btw), he's welcome to it as long as he continues to get the job done.

Bono is the man responsible for getting George W.Bush--of all people--to sign a $5 billion debt-relief package for third world nations. He's helped in eliminating the national debts of a staggering 23 countries, and although he does not take all the credit for it (see, there's a *teensy* bit of humility, LOL), he was instrumental in those efforts. He's co-founded not one but *four* organizations--ONE, DATA, EDUN, and Product Red, to tackle debt relief, poverty reduction, elimination of disease epidemics, and the promotion of real trade and business growth in Africa (this was after criticism by some that his philanthropic efforts were making Africa dependent on handouts--the focus of EDUN and Product Red is on fair trade practices and giving incentives to businesses there). Hate on him all you want. Maybe it *is* all just a ploy for Bono to get attention. If so, I hope Bono continues to need the world's attention. Compare this to Ted Nugent, who gets plenty of attention just for being a vicious, violent loudmouth.

We'll have to agree to disagree, here.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 2:30:51 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2016, 3:42:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 16, 2013, 11:40:25 PM PST
Hinch says:
One person's overrated artist is another person's underrated artist.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 1:29:16 AM PST
SuziBeth says:
You guys are funny.
I actually meant Who (do you think) is overrated, not 'The Who' is overrated.
I actually kinda like The Who, except for that fact that Pete Townsend is a pedophile. (did I spell that right?)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 9:09:30 AM PST
B-Jak says:
Pete Townsend is NOT a pedophile.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 9:45:17 AM PST
MC says:
He was proven in English Court to not be guilty, but once something like that is said, some people will just hold on to it no matter what (not me), pretty unfair.......

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013, 12:29:12 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2016, 3:43:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013, 2:46:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013, 2:47:24 PM PST
Oj Simpson was found not guilty as well but, who believes that he didnt kill 2 people?
Robert Blake was found not guilty of killing his wife but, who believes that he didnt do it?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 2:48:51 PM PST
MC says:
I don't know about Blake, but you've sure got a point about oj

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 4:36:10 PM PST
Hinch says:
Pete Townsend claimed the stuff found on his computer was for "research".

It's not for me to judge who's guilty or not.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 7:10:05 PM PST
Working Man says:
Anyway. Here for the Music and Hinch are right on that "overrated" and "underrated" are used quite a bit and that one person's "overrated" is another's "underrated". It is interesting though, to read other's opinions, especially, when points are well made for whatever argument is being made.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013, 8:22:23 PM PST
SuziBeth says:
That's all I was hoping for.
Sheesh! I'm sorry I asked now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer