Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Rock forum

Blackmore taught Van Halen everything he knows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2011 2:27:49 AM PST
Isn't it about time for Eddie to stop talking about how Eric influenced him. Just listen to what Eddie plays. It doesn't sound a thing like Clapton. It sounds like Blackmore Made In Japan era. The shredding intense soloing, the feedback and dive bombs, the metal sound with tremelo bar. Come on Eddie, just do the right thing and admit you stole your whole act (except for tapping) from Ritchie with a bit of help from Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 3:15:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2011 3:23:15 AM PST
I always hear Page when i listen to Eddie. But his aggressive attack is very Blackmore like. Eddie's abandon and emotional playing , along with his tromolo bar use sound like Hendrix to me. Clapton in Cream definitly an influence on any guitar player but Pages electric creative off the cuff sloppy blues seem to fit Eddie's style , to me.

Cream is just an omnipotent influence on guitar players so if Eddie says Eric i think he means Cream.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 8:20:26 PM PST
That means Eddie could be weeks away from playing medieval music exclusively.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 8:27:55 PM PST
I can hear some Jimmy in his playing. But Pagey's a blues man and Eddie, I'm sorry, doesn't play the blues as far as I can tell except for Ice Cream Man. He is hard/heavy rock. Maybe their tone is similar due to the humbuckers but not style.

When you listen to Purple In Rock there is no real blues type playing though Ritchie uses the blues scales and emotional feel of blues along with an egyptian scale on a couple of the songs. Ritchie can plays blues very well but doesnt do it often. Can Eddie even play blues? I really don't know. But Pagey's always playing the blues as is Jimi and Eric.

So to me though I can hear some of Pagey and Jimi in Eddie's playing, I can't hear any Eric. To me, his bag of tricks was half full when he listened to Made In Japan. He then added some tricks of his own to creat his sound. A sound quite similar to Ritchie's though Ritchie plays a single-coil Strat.

But before the strat, Ritchie played a Gibson ES-335 a humbucking guitar. And guess what? So did Eddie. Then Eddie got a strat and used that before putting humbuckers in. He also used the hell out of the tremlo bar as did Ritchie back in the early days of Purps. So please reevaluate your humble opinion.

It was Ritchie, not Jimmy or Jimi who Eddie owns his career to.

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 9:02:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2011 9:17:51 PM PST
Definitly and for sure Ritchie is a strong influence. His fluid approach and non blues based scales along with his use of the whammy bar are Eddie's bag. But i guess i'm in the minority on Eddie's similarity to Page both riff based composers with a more sloppy fly by the seat of the pants approach. Really all of em are similar and different. Cream was an influence on all of em Page, Hendrix, Eddie, and Ritchie. That band just laid a blueprint. Eddie and Page don't play the same song the same way twice Jimi could and so could Ritchie. Eddie didn't use the classical approach of Ritchie but he used his fluid nature. I love em all , and all are underrated in a way. Although Eric is slightly , to say it nicely , overexposed , compared to the others.

And Fortizymo, i just read that last line about Eddie owing his career to Ritchie i don't know about that. Ritchie is great and so is Eddie i think Eddie loved Ritchie but owing his career to Ritchie may be overstating the case. Even Yngwie has really laid it down how much he loved Ritchie but Yngwie was his own man as well as Eddie. Influence is cool to follow but what you do after is your stamp.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2011 9:18:46 PM PST
davyboy says:
Brian May and Billy Gibbons were tapping prior to EVH.

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 12:38:09 AM PST
What I'm trying to say is that ive never heard Eddie say anything about Ritchie positive or negative. Nothing at all. Like he never heard him before. He did say that he never liked Jimi though. Funny, he sounds more like Jimi than Eric. He did say that he got the idea to tap from watching Jimmy play the solo to Heartbreaker at the LA Forum. But for some reason, he never saw or heard Ritchie or maybe he doesn't want people to know who his main influence is.

Sure Yngwie praises Ritchie. Thats great. But Eddie needs to finally come clean and just say what is so apparent to not just me but others when made aware: you owe Ritchie Blackmore! Simple as that. Say the truth Eddie. You took from the best of his time and now its time to give him his due. No more no less.

I just get tired of the politics of music. Eddie's in Hall of Fame, Ritchie and Purple not. Its a joke. Thats like putting in Hank Aaron but not Babe Ruth or Ted Williams first. The way Eddie has a new guitar every two years with a new company is a joke. They all look the same and sound the same.

And Yngwie stole every idea for his strat from Ritchie the color, hotter pickups, middle pickup recessed and empty, scalloping; his clothing all black, white shoes. It's a joke! I'm tired of Ritchie being given back seat in the bus when he's the driver.

Just listen to the stuff on the Mk I albums. He was so far ahead of everyone else. No wonder he's so bitter. He got ripped off so many times.

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 4:41:59 AM PST
B. Terry says:
This seems like an odd obsession. Like you need your tastes validated by EVH and the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Like there is a conspiracy of silence regarding Ritchie Blackmore. Mind you, I've got no particular dislike of Ritchie Blackmore, seems decent enough, though I've never dug into his album work to make a fair assessment. I can tell you he is among that pantheon of guitarists that will always be in Guitar Magazine... like, for the rest of time. I don't see how you can ask for more than that. I have oddball guitarists like Agata and Marnie Stern I never expect to be recognized in any special way, though I think there is something special about them. I don't expect people to know who Kaki King is in 40 years, even though I really think she did some cool acoustic work on her early stuff. I'm totally fine with that. That over 35 years later, someone constantly mentioned in guitar mags, has 2 solos in Guitar World's "Top 100 Greatest Guitar Solos", is recognized by neo-classical players, metal players, Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet, etc. etc. as an influence, and continues to have songs in rotation on classic rock channels every day across the nation, is thought to not have enough recognition by you seems... a little excessively demanding of respect. The public attention can only hold so much. Maybe there is truth to your EVH speculation, or maybe there is not, and it can be chalked up to a case of parallel evolution, like how people were inventing light bulbs across the world, but Edison gets the credit. Just a manifestation of the times and whatnot.

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 5:29:54 AM PST
Snoo says:
Isn't Eddie the one who knows influenced him ??

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 10:40:32 AM PST
I agree with EVH sounding more like Blackmore than Clapton, Page and Hendrix. I think EVH created his own style/sound. There is no denying that every metal player out there owes some debt of influence to all these guys and you can add Tony Iommi, Robin Trower, Glen Tipton and Buck Dharma to the list. Michael Schenker too.

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 12:59:26 AM PST
I agree Purple should be in there- yesterday , but Alice Cooper just went in and Sabbath did so maybe Purple will go in soon. I have a bootleg of Van Halen from 75 and they did a lot of covers but i can't recall if they did a Rainbow cover or not. I think Ritchie was very prevalent in the early 70's and there is no way Eddie wasn't influenced by him in some way, those riffs in Purple are monsters and unforgettable.

I remember seeing a great interview with Billy Sheehan and he describes a concert he saw with ZZ Top and he saw Billy do a tapping move and this changed his approach to bass and playing in general he recalls this as the first time he saw tapping. But then he took the move and made it his own just like Eddie and tapping.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 1:16:50 AM PST
john masters says:
I've been an Eddie Van Halen fan ever since their 1st album.He is the best of the rest.Blackmore played awesome on the album machine head,but that about it.Eddie played awesome in all his albums -but one--the one with Gary sherone singing.I think eddie is the best--even over Hendrix .Had Hendrix lived longer --maybe he would be the best.Eddies really good --just listen to Eruption!!

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 1:29:57 AM PST
Wow , dude , i love Eddie but you are way off on Ritchie, and Hendrix. All of em are equally influential and great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 5:01:18 AM PST
Leroy Hoard says:
LOL

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 1:38:16 PM PST
Blackmore only good on Machine Head? Calling Alex Montrose! In Rock is better than Machine Head. Blackmores work in Rainbow with Dio is incredible as well. I like EVH too and have said he is very influential, especially with the metal players but, only one bad album? Really? Mostly pop drivel after Fair Warning. Eddie like Jimmy Page has wasted his immense talent over the last 30 years. Hes not even close to Hendrix in overall talent and ability.

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 1:46:46 PM PST
Bklyn-Born says:
I saw VH in So. FL during the 1984 tour; B-O-R-I-N-G! EVH played basically the same solos in each song, DLR pranced around like he was the best thing since sliced bread; couldn't AVH have gotten BIGGER bass drums (big sound, small talent)?! I spent part of the show out in the venue's lobby, as the friends I went with were huge VH fans and I just couldn't understand (or deal with) their over-the-top enthusiasm. Exit DLR - enter SH, I was even less impressed. BTW, Jeff Beck was also tapping before EVH, as was Allan Holdsworth..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2011 1:53:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2011 2:09:56 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Yeah Mcnary

With Masters post sometimes you can tell it's from a .... ya know. If he didn't say he was a fan of Eddies since the first album I would have thought he was 14 years old. Maybe he is.

And is it really worth talking to someone who says Blackmore only played good on Machine Head? Either he is beyond clueless or he just never heard the other stuff. I hope it's the latter....

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 7:30:42 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Eddie is a top notch guitarist...but I gotta agree with Brooklyn...he's played the same bleeping solo since day one!

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 12:15:56 PM PST
Mr. Jumps says:
Superman can beat up Batman.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 1:41:23 PM PST
Yeah I`d say that Allen Holdsworth and John Mclaughlin were at least half as responsible for Eddie Van Halen as were Tony Iommi or Ritchie Blackmore....listen to some ov the double bass shuffles in Mahavishnu Orchestra and you`ll hear a definate influence on "Hot for Teacher"....there is nothing new under the sun....

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:04:02 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
It's nice to see Holdworth getting his due. EVH himself has been trying to get people to realize how incredible Allan is, since the 80's.
One thing about Eddie is he's always been honest about where he got his ideas from. He also credited Steve Hackett of Genesis(The intro to "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" makes the connection pretty obvious.)
I see no reason why he would try to hide the influence of Blackmore, if he considers him to be one, since he didn't hide these other influences.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 8:01:44 PM PDT
Lots of Eddie bashing..Hey, the first 6 or 7 VH albums sound pretty good and innovative to me, whoever his influences were. And yes, Eddie HAS toiled in the blues other than Ice Cream Man. Listen to the intro to Take Your Whiskey Home or Finish What Ya Started for two examples. No, he's not a bluesman but he CAN do blues.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 10:16:57 PM PDT
Puffany says:
Blackmore did say in an interview early in Van Halen's career that "Eddie was technically excellent, but doesn't follow the line of the vocal enough". I've also never read anywhere Eddie mentioning Blackmore at all which I find odd - I would've thought it was a given that Ed was influenced by ol' Ritchie with his fiery showman style.
As far as Eddie playing the blues, Ed teamed along with 'Brian May & Friends' on May's 'Starfleet' project and recorded 3 tracks for an EP - I personally hated it at the time. It just sounded like May & Van Halen playing the same lead breaks as usual and didn't suit at all. They dedicated the track 'Blues Breaker' to Eric Clapton and sent him a copy of the EP. He said in an interview at the time that he felt insulted and thought it was absolute rubbish.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 11:42:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2011 11:47:44 PM PDT
Eddie mentioned Allan because he was trying to help his career as he doesn't sell much due to his noncommercial sound. I actually saw Allan after Eddie mentioned how good he is this was back during the IOU album around 1981 or so. He didn't do a thing for me and didn't sound a thing like Eddie except for a few passages. I was expecting the next Van Halen. Remember this was before youtube and free music so I hadn't heard hardly anything from Allan.

I've seen Eddie live 4 times 3 times with Roth 1 time with Sammy and he was good. The best I saw was the Women and Children tour in Oakland in 1980. The others were same old thing. I've seen Ritchie 6 or 7 times all with Rainbow except the DP reuinion tour in 85. Ritchie was great everytime except for once with Rainbow during the Straight Btw Eyes tour he was drunk or sick and only played for about a half hour to a small hall in San Fran. He was second on a 3 bill.

I don't believe that I said that Ritchie was actually better than Eddie even though I like his style and sound better and believe that he is better. What I said was that Eddie never gave Ritchie credit for his style. The dive bombs, the feedback, the shredding, the attack, the riffs and melody. I'm not saying that Eddie is a Ritchie clone. Neither is Yngwie for that matter.

What I said was that he never gave Ritchie credit for the things he stole from him. He only credits Eric who doesn't sound a thing like him. Artists do this often to divert attention from who they are stealing from. Jimmy Page doesn't credit Bert Jansch for stealing his style of acoustic DADGAD tuning. He always mentions Scotty Moore, Elmore James and others but not the man who he stole his acoustic style from.

For me to have to even write this is stupid. Musicians especially should be able to determine that Eddie got his act from Ritchie. It's pretty obvious. Why even say "Well Eddie said he likes Eric." So what. He's not gonna admit the obvious so that he gets more credit than he deserves.

Just listent to live Ritchie esp. Made in Japan and tell me that Eddie didn't pour over that album like the holy grail. Wake up and think for once. See what's directly in front of you. Don't listen to the smoke screen please.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 8:51:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2011 9:01:38 AM PDT
club 7 says:
evh is one of the most influential and greatest guitarists ever. listen to fair warning for a scintilating display of wicked virtuosity and inspired solo creation.
of course he was influenced by others just as blackmore was influenced by others.
give the man his due.
this is like saying that because hendrix was clearly influenced by jeff beck and used some of his ideas in feedback and distortion means that beck taught him everything he knows and hendrix never came up with an original idea of his own or composed a solo on his own.
number 1 is evh's technique blows away blackmore's and evh's solos are incredibly inventive and inspired just as blackmore's solos are inventive and inspired though different as blackmore has a more classical music/blues based style than evh.
blackmore clearly influenced randy rhodes and yngwie malmsteen alot more than he influenced evh as they incorporated alot of that classical music vibe into their mix of ax wizardry.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rock forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions