Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Worst Betrayl Ever!!!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010, 6:58:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2010, 7:03:01 PM PST
Shabby girl says:
Reader In NJ - just so you don't pass up a good book (Lady Gallant), as Yahaira said, he taunts her with it but doesn't actually do the deed. I swear he pays for it - and if you love agood grovel, you really can't miss this one! Cheating on heroine by hero is my number one no no, can't tolerate it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010, 6:58:34 PM PST
Yahaira says:
Sorry, I was talking about Lady Gallant. I just got caught up with the first part of your message and didn't even read the rest or I would have noticed you mentioned another book...I tend to do that a lot!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010, 7:02:15 PM PST
Jace says:
Oh yeah and there is another Howard-It was one of the Mckenzie's-he took her virginity to get info then took her home with him. I so did not want her to forgive him-I wanted her to tell his entire sweet family exactly what he had done!!!!! Overall I think Linda Howard is the Master at this! Oh, Angel Creek or Lady of the West had a great betrayal and also Loving Evangeline-now that I think about it I can't think of one that doesn't.

OH, Kiss me While I sleep!!!!

Posted on Jan 31, 2010, 7:13:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2010, 7:20:55 PM PST
Shabby girl says:
I just finished a book Love's Revenge by Monica Burns (whose books I really like) and there is a betrayal in that, although he doesn't actually do what she thinks he did, he was set up.

Another one by the same author that I read last week called Rogue in Disguise, also not a long book, also has a betrayal whereby the hero pretends to be his brother, then falls in love with heroine, and doesn't tell her he's not who she thinks he is. She doesn't care about who he, just that he lied to her.

Both novellas I suppose in length, and quick light reads, but very enjoyable. Better say too that these would be classed as romantica (a bit stronger on the love scenes!)

Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like there's some sort of betrayal in a lot of romance books - some are just worse than others and how much they grovel may make it more memorable as to whether they grovelled well or not enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 10:57:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2010, 11:03:52 AM PST
A. Nichols says:
bookaday,

It is MY TRUE AND TENDER LOVE This is the hardback.

The paperback is here My True/tender

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 12:08:08 PM PST
Doreen says:
Okay, this is a well loved book but it is an example of why I don't care for Judith McNaught's heroines even though I think she is a good stoyteller/writer.
"A Kingdom Of Dreams":
The heroine kills the heroes horse trying to escape. Ok, she was taken against her will and I don't blame her for trying but she KNEW she was endangering his animal.

Then, once they were married and he stood by her and treated her with respect and honor when his people practically wanted to stone her. After all that, she purposely chose to sit with her family at a tournament (her family were his enemies and they treated her like dirt and they only let her marry him so they could ambush and kill him afterwards) rather than show support for him. She finally goes to him after he's practically dead from her family beating the crap out of him because he had made her a promise never to hurt anyone in her family. I did not like that girl at all.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 5:53:29 PM PST
MyCat says:
A few that I can think of:
- a real old one - Zelma Orr's Miracles Take Longer: H thought h's miscarriage was an abortion and he left for a business trip during which she left him. This was way back in the 80's so trying to find her was not easy
- Maya Banks' Seducing Simon: for those of you who have read, I'm sure the phrase "we have nothing to talk about" just breaks your heart
- Christina Dodd's That Scandalous Night: H thought h was a traitor; great scene at the end when they were at the docks and she wanted to leave him to go to Italy

Books with this theme are usually keepers so I hope more suggestions are coming

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 6:27:26 PM PST
Jace says:
Oh that reminds me of a great McNaught book wher the H thaought she had had an abortion but had really lost the baby. When all the truth came out it was one emotional scene.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 6:36:30 PM PST
Reader in NJ says:
I will look to see if I can pick up a copy of "Lady Gallant" -- based on the comments here.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 7:15:02 PM PST
Purse Monkey says:
I love Lady Gallant! If ever there's a hero that needs to grovel--and a hero that indeed has groveled his ass off!--than it's Christian. Yahaira--you think he intended to sleep with his ex-mistress? I always gave him a benefit of a doubt that he only intended to pretend to sleep with her and timed it so that Nora would catch him in the act. But yeah, I guess it's only wishful thinking on my part. Nevertheless, he really was awful to her and I wanted to throttle him. But his grovel was beautiful. Full of angst and doubts and vurnerablity. The love potion scene was very cute.

I was really PO in Kiss By An Angle by SEP when hero's reaction when heroine told him she was pregnate was to get an abortion. I never forgave him and thought he got off rather easily. Vindictive that I am, I wanted him to pay more. He was rather a jerk throughout the book.

Just finished The Pirate Prince by Gaelen Foley and was really mad that hero. Rather stupidly, he thought he was cursed so he proceeded to treat heroine like an ass and call her horrible names like wh*ore after she surrendered to him and agreed to be his mistress. Yeah, he thought he was protecting her and blah blah blah but he got off way too easily. Loved the heroine at first but about the last 1/3 of the book she was turned into a shameless, pitiful, doormat with no pride whatsoever. Even after being called names and abandoned by the man she loved she still would take him back in a heartbeat. So every unlike the other two Foley books I read (Lord of Fire and Devil Takes a Bride--both heroines there were really strong throughout the book).

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 7:20:58 PM PST
T. Smith says:
A heroine that forgives too easily can just flat ruin a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 7:24:31 PM PST
Jace says:
Amen sister!

Posted on Feb 1, 2010, 8:11:06 PM PST
tomegirl says:
I totally I agree! I hate it when after a hundred + pages of bad behavior the heroine forgives in half a page. It completely ruins it for me. An example of this is in a Lady of Quality by Rachelle Edwards. The H has been cheating on the h for years and now with his latest ladylove he's flaunting her in society, telling her (the mistress) that he will get a divorce and completely disrespecting his wife. At one point the mistress even confronts the wife and tells her to basically back off because their marriage is over. And after all of this the husband just says I've always been in love with you, and viola she melts into his arms. That is completely disguisting. And we're supposed to believe these people have a happily ever after without working for it? I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 8:22:28 PM PST
DB says:
Danglars, Mondego, and Caderousse betraying Edmond Dantes in "The Count of Monte Cristo" is pretty ugly. But he gets his revenge in the most spectacular ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 10:09:41 PM PST
Z. Zammit says:
Total Surrender by Cheryl Holt. Hero and Heroine are forced to marry after being found in bed together, which hero believes that heroine organised to set him up and force marriage. Hero then 'dumps' her back at her family home (which everything has been repossessed due to gambling brother) and leaves her. Heroine is left there starving and freezing to death - literally (no money for food) for 6 months. Then finally goes to london to tell husband to give her money (hero is LOADED) only to find hero has been with his mistress the whole time. Of course, hero then tells wife he loved her the whole time and wife says 'as long as you don't do it again' and they live HEA. How did the heroine forget that her husband who 'loved' her has left her starving to death in the country while he was living it up in london ??? Puhlease......

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010, 10:12:46 PM PST
Z. Zammit says:
My chest just seized up when I read 'we have nothing to talk about' (in Seducing Simon). I was thinking 'you bastard, like you're so friggin perfect'. He definitely should have done WAY more grovelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 5:31:37 AM PST
in defense of him, she waited almost 7 months to tell him it was his kids...and had plenty of opprotunities...simon and her brothers kept asking her who the father was...so i'd give him a pass on that one...

Posted on Feb 2, 2010, 6:14:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2010, 6:15:38 AM PST
Agreed, Deanna. I hate it when men don't have to grovel enough, but hate women keeping a guy in the dark about being a father just as much. Seducing Simon left me with a bad taste in my mouth about her lack of honesty the whole way through.

Oh, and I've only read two or three Diana Palmer books, but I hate her verbally abusive heroes. I thought the three I read about all got off way too easily. I'd have castrated them in their sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 8:57:29 AM PST
A. Nichols says:
What McNaught book was that?

Thanks,

Ann

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 9:11:27 AM PST
pretty much...yeah, they slept together when he was drunk and doesn't remember...but to go 9 months and not even tell him they slept together, as well as the entire pregnancy...i mean, i liked the book - but i didn't like the heroine for her actions, as well as simon for his - but want to see if the other guy in the book gets his own hea

Posted on Feb 2, 2010, 9:23:56 AM PST
Sprite says:
I believe the McNaught book mentioned was Paradise. That one was a tear-jerker for me....especially when the h was in the hospital.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 11:46:51 AM PST
DoraLady says:
PARADISE by Judith McNaught - Contemporary

Is the book in which the hero that heroine had an abortion.

Yup, an emotional scene.

Her father had betrayed her big time in that book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 11:50:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2010, 11:51:31 AM PST
DoraLady says:
A KIGDOM OF DREAMS

Of course, I would expect the heroine to try and escape. I think not attempting to escape would show a heroine with no backbone.

The heroine did not kill the horse, it was an accident. Same thing when the heroine attempted to escape in COMMANCE MOON by Catherine Anderson.

I love the heroine's "grovel" scene on the field. It was no grovel but pure style and love.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010, 12:09:15 PM PST
Sprite says:
I agree with DoraL concerning the escape in Kingdom of Dreams---she was not trying to kill the horse. That scene just about ripped my heart out! I am a total horse fanatic (my horse is my second child) and hated to see that animal die...but it made for emotional reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010, 4:21:02 PM PST
Z. Zammit says:
I totally agree - Toni had so many opportunities to tell him and it was stupid to wait so long, but considering Simon kept running back to the Starla (who cheated on him) to console her?!?!? What, Starla doesn't have her own family/friends to support her ?!?!? And she was sooo trying to get Simon back, and he never told her to go away even though he was going out with Toni. They were both as bad as each other, both making stupid decisions.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
34 May 16, 2017
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
268 28 days ago
H that have cheated on h and had a baby w/ow and h finds out can be histo0rical, contemporary od medievalmporary 130 8 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 4225 8 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 7873 15 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 7865 32 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 8164 34 minutes ago
something like Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne plz 15 54 minutes ago
Cold H falls in love with h that has cancer 5 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 6517 2 hours ago
H(s) who might hurt/kill h 14 2 hours ago
Romances in dystopian SF settings 13 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  491
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 101 customers