Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

HP discussion. Good bad and inbetween.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011, 4:35:21 PM PDT
halo424 says:
SuzieBags, I am feeling just like you lately. The cheating books were just making me upset all the time, and unfortunately for me, the groveling is never enough. Those books were staying with me and not in a good way. I had to take a break. I still peek at the thread but I skim over it because even reading about the infidelity is starting to bug me. I know I need therapy but for now I am backing off them. I think the book by Roberta Leigh book, The Wrong Kind of Wife, put me over the edge.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011, 4:55:00 PM PDT
Rita says:
Katariina: they have a pay structure but if you don't mind reading online you can just read a story. that changes if you want to save things. then they ask you to pay or upload something of your own. i think uploading gives you a day of being able to save things

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011, 5:34:37 PM PDT
TX Reader says:
Double D, I thought of you last night as I was reading The Cost of Honor, a bad cheating book: no redemption, no explainations, little of no remorse, lots of cheating with different women in the span of about 13 or so months of marriage. It was around midnight when I finished the book when I thought of you and couldn't remember what you called these books, wall bangers, denter, just couldn't remember. The book just hacked me off so much! I'm pretty okay with these books but last night this particular book was too much. Even today my husband said to me, "just because the book was grumpy you don't have to be grumpy!" That made me laugh and I changed moods.......I'm ready for feel good books and leave these awful cheating Heros alone for a while. (+:

Posted on Mar 18, 2011, 6:05:39 PM PDT
SuzieBags says:
Katarina,

Rita is right, you can read the books on your computer for free, if you want to save or download you just have to upload a book you have saved on your computer. You do have to sign up, just an email address and password, really easy. I find the best way to search for books is by author not title, they have tons of HP's on there to read for free

Posted on Mar 18, 2011, 7:49:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2011, 7:52:51 PM PDT
MYates says:
I lurk here a lot, but haven't posted. I just wanted to add that Scribd is a site designed for owners of a particular book to post their work. The majority of works that are not self-published are posted on there illegally. I know the HPs are. They are uploaded without the permission of the authors or the publisher.

I just thought it was important to mention!

Otherwise, great conversation. :) I really lik Sicilian Millionaire, Bought Bride by Catherine Spencer. The h is a widow, and her best friend is married to the H, when she dies she writes the h a letter and asks her to marry her husband, because there isn't anyone else she wants raising her daughter. Very emotional read.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2011, 2:24:31 PM PDT
halo424 says:
TX Reader, I have been reading about this book on the other thread and I went downstairs to my library and I actually have it. I am going to go just throw it at the wall and burn it but not read it!!! I hate the sound of it and there is no way I can read it. I have no idea how it ended up in my library. My daughter may have bought it but I cannot see myself picking up a book like that. I get upset if they sleep with anyone after meeting the h much less after they are married. I suggest you read two Julie Garwood's and drink a bottle of white wine to get the taste out of your head. That always works for me. ;}

Posted on Mar 20, 2011, 2:57:32 PM PDT
TX Reader says:
I LOVE Julie Garwood! My favorite is The Prize, followed by all of her medievals and historicals.
Regarding The Cost of Honor, ---groan---two readers on the Don't Shoot me thread are going to read it.....I can't wait for their opinions, love when then analyze books. That cheating business especially with a cold hearted "Hero" is pretty trying. Thank goodness there's soooo many romances that are feel good reads!

Posted on Mar 21, 2011, 12:33:49 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
His Forbidden Passion Anne Mather - did anyone else read this one? I can't figure out why the h didn't want to drink. No one seemed to ask either. I had to get past the first part and then I just felt like the story was okay. I couldn't understand why the H and his aunt thought that the h should just believe complete strangers. They showed up telling her that everything she thought was true about her childhood and her "parents" was in fact a lie and they were claiming that the h was arrogant and all because she wouldn't just believe them. I kept thinking where do they get off? They truly believed that she should just completely trust these strangers that showed up spouting off stuff. Then of course she later has this hang-up w/ having a relatinship w/ the H because she felt like she would just be repeating her biological parents' mistakes. And let me tell you there wasn't much separation within this group. Less than six degrees!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011, 1:06:27 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Is that her new one? I have it but, I haven't read it cause basically I am AM'd out. She just irks me to no end lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011, 1:22:00 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
Yep Feb 2011. I am very THANKFUL for the library because this would not be a keeper. I never really felt that the h/H spent much time together either. I suppose the H did have lunch w/ h but that was at the suggestion of the granddad and there was a party thrown for the h, but the H brought his girlfriend. I think I am getting AM'd out too!! Overall it was an okay book but nothing to write home about. Just wondering if I was the only one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011, 3:33:14 PM PDT
halo424 says:
Vanessa, he had a girlfriend??? I have this one in my TBR file and now I think I may have to pass. This month has been terrible. A Spanish Birthright stunk too and there were a couple of so-so ones also. I need some new good ones. I am rereading all my old favorites just to get through this dry spell.

Posted on Mar 21, 2011, 4:05:37 PM PDT
I love anything by Natalie Anderson. If I should choose, I would recommend Between the Italian's Sheets (Romance HB), Caught on Camera with the CEO (Harlequin Presents Extra: Unfinished Business) and Rebel With a Cause (Harlequin Presents Extra: Maverick Millionaires).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011, 7:41:30 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
I think I'll have to have full spoilers on any AM book before I try another one. Her last few have burned me but good and I still have the marks to prove it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011, 8:32:05 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Owie! I hate book burns, it takes so long to fade.. LOL :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011, 6:08:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2011, 10:48:35 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Double D - yep he had a girlfriend and I got the impression in the beginning that his mother would have liked him to marry the girlfriend but then . . . she said that the girlfriend's family had always coveted the family home and when they couldn't get it through the H's aunt they tried through the H. Then she further states that she doubts there was any love on either the girlfriend's part or the H's part.

edit: grammar :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011, 8:08:52 AM PDT
halo424 says:
Vaness, thank you for the spoiler. I am so glad I didn't read it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011, 10:39:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2011, 10:44:25 PM PDT
RE: THE SPANIARD'S MARRIAGE BARGAIN

I liked it that Abby Green, the author, didn't tell us right away the reason why the h left. She hints that it was a very serious medical reason, just not gave it a name. I think if it was known right away, you lose the tension and the emotional impact. Plus, the H and h didn't have the type of relationship that encouraged confidence. And, she was resigned to the fact that their marriage was over and no matter the reason would've likely changed that so her first priority to establish some type of relationship with her son.

I would buy THE SPANIARD'S MARRIAGE BARGAIN if this book came out on audiobook even with a so-so reader.

I saw on audible.com that they the Santegallie Marriage by Sara Craven. I am not bothering getting the right title because this is one of the worst HP books ever written. Everything you hate in a HP book is in this book. Its insulting that they put this book on audiobook. I can think of a hundred other HP books I would want on audiobook than this one.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011, 7:37:56 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Has anyone read An Old Passion by Robyn Donald?

As a rule I try to avoid her books because they're a little more jerk hero that I can't stand than I can stomach.

This book has hero and heroine together in a secret relationship when she was young. Hero thinks heroine betrayed him with his cousin and proceeds to do bad things to her. Heroine escapes and years later comes back for a job only to find the hostility is still there. Duh.

Hero also has a girlfriend that everyone is trying to impress on the heroine is close to marriage. Hero spends time alternating between wanting the heroine and hating her. Heroine refuses to give in to the hero but at the same time is sad that he's so tortured even now.

When I skip the first half of the book I like it so much better. As it turns out the hero found out the truth a few months after the heroine escaped and when he went looking for her, he found out she was married and pregnant. He hated that she'd move on from him and he was never really able to move on from her.

Now parts of the book I just found OTT and annoying, but I really loved the accident part of the book because I think that put into perspective the idea of two people who were so in love and had fate make them so bitter towards each other but willing to risk their lives for each other.

Anyone else read it? I just can't decide if the book is horrible-the beginning or pretty darn good-the angst filled tortured love thing that's happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011, 7:43:38 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I liked it, although Blase is really rotten to Merrin, it is a good example of the bitter HP's of the eighties that somehow make you believe the HEA. I really like Robyn Donald, and her eighties books are classic. I am always appalled at the torture she puts her h's through, but I love the angst and drama.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011, 7:45:04 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I should also add that I usually have to start reading at the last half of most of RD's early stuff, cause I can't handle the h abuse. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011, 8:30:17 PM PDT
Michigangirl says:
I'm glad I'm not alone in that last half of the book thing.

It's not even the torture really. All it says in that book was that what he'd done to her made a mockery of the passion they'd shared or some such. Led me to believe it was heavy forced sex. Not rape so much as making her like it and beg without the thought of love behind it.

He just seemed more put upon then he should have been at the beginning. I should have hated him more when I found out that he'd known all along that she didn't have something going with his cousin now.

You'd think he'd be more able to handle the marriage with less blame, though maybe self hatred, after what he'd accused her of and done to her.

Or I just think he should have thought it was his fault for not trusting her and then forcing her away from him and to hate him by his own actions. Instead he felt betrayed that she'd marry someone else and have a baby by the guy.

I felt bad for the guy too just a bit. He wound up committing suicide because he found he couldn't live with knowing she didn't want him touching her she wanted the father of her baby. He hit her once and she fell down the stairs and had a miscarriage. As soon as he knew she was all right he drove his car off the road because he hated himself for what he'd done to her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011, 11:04:25 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
That was his problem though, he was wildly obsessed and jealous and that is why he did not believe her to begin with. He drives her away, she marries someone else and he hates her and himself. Talk about a Heathcliff, Blase is one of the more broody, angsty H's she has. I do feel for him when Merrin tells him why she married Paul and I felt really sad for Merrin when she talks about her guilt. They were both pretty tortured, so I am glad they got a HEA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011, 6:59:56 AM PDT
booknuts says:
boogenhagen, i too really liked robyn donald's earlier books, even though now they are not PC at all, but the story and characters were well developed and it was all believable, even for romancelandia! her newer books don't have nearly the intensity that the old ones did, and i really miss that, even though she is still an auto buy for me.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011, 7:45:32 AM PDT
I think Robyn Donald's old books are much, much better than her recent ones. I've almost given up reading her new ones and instead have searched/bought her older ones.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011, 7:49:13 AM PDT
Reader in NJ says:
Robyn Donald's older books were not PC but her characters had more depth to them. Actually to me it seems a lot of HP authors don't write as well as they used to. I've wondered if part of the problem is editors telling them to change the tone of their books. And then, you have the authors who write wallbangers that make me annoyed for having wasted my money -- like Sharon Kendrick's "Bought by Her Husband." Many times instead of reading the newer books I'll go pick up one of the oldies -- at least I know what I am getting with that.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  239
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 25, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 59 customers