Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA ***

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:15:34 AM PST
Fogarty says:
melb

ordered it on my friends and started reading it I never even heard of the author

oh see didnt know that thought I was sharing info still dont have a kindel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:19:10 AM PST
Fogarty says:
alabno

yes you can choose between male and female but they both suck

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:37:04 AM PST
DoraLady - Suddenly You is about a full figured female 30 year old author (Amanda) who meets Jack Devlin, a publisher who is a self made man (nice to leave the world of Earls and Dukes sometimes) - they meet under less-than-normal circumstances and while Amanda shies away from Jack, he is in total catch-her mode. I love their relationship, the dialogue, the overall storyline - it just works for me and is one of my top 10 favorite historicals, as well as a read-over-and-over book for me.

I have read several others of LK -
Devil in Winter (liked, no where near as much as everyone else)
It Happened One Autumn (liked a lot)
Scandal in Spring (disappointed that she didn't end up w/Cam...for some reason never read the 4th wallflower book, but did read the mini Xmas story out a year or so ago - cute)
When Strangers Marry (ick)
Mine 'Til Midnight (good)
Then Came You (good)
Stranger in my Arms (I think good - not a very good memory of this one)
Dreaming of You (great)
Sugar Daddy - To me, this was not a romance but more like Chic-Lit - somewhat reminded me of Danielle Steele - but I still find myself looking forward to reading the next two as I hear they are more romance.

I realize she has quite a loyal following and my opinions vary quite a bit from her more regular readers - I hope to find time to read more of her stuff as I do like her, but to me Suddenly You is her best!!

I do have Again the Magic on hold at the library as I keep hearing about it (and my favorite reviewers over at ripmybodice.com like it so why not!).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:50:23 AM PST
DoraLady says:
Shelby,

I agree with you about the heroine.

I really felt for her when she had to tell the hero that she did not care for him. She had to make sure he never came towards her.

I did think she had the choice of taking off with him, but I think at the time she was way to young to go against her family like that and do that. I think her father's threat kept her from doing anything that may cause a backlash towards the hero.

When the hero came back. My heart was breaking for her, she still felt for him, pretended she did not because she was afraid of what she was hiding.

I was peeved with the hero and his initial treatment of her when he came back. I could not get over how he was using her. (In my mind he was using her to be spiteful.) It was the hero that ruined the book for me. I think he brought it down from a 4 1/2 to a 3 for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010, 11:54:56 AM PST
DoraLady says:
booklover,

Thanks for your wonderful honest post on your opinion of Lisa Kleypas' books.

I will read Dreaming of You.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010, 3:40:45 PM PST
DoraLady says:
I just realized I have Sunddenly You and Worth Any Price, 3rd of bow street runners series.

Correction:

I will read Suddenly You.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010, 5:40:51 PM PST
DoraLady--Agree with you throughly about Again the Magic. Interestingly, McKenna is usually listed when we are asked to list our favorite heros. He doesn't seem much like a hero to me, except the last 20 pages where he shows his true self & his true feelings. I only hope Bill B. sticks it out that long on the first read. The angst is overwhelming &, after a while, tedious. Aline & McKenna already love each other greatly when the story begins, so the author doesn't show any obvious "falling in love" action. I re-read the last 20 pages often as the perfect example of "true love" & romantic expression. That Aline was still shy with McKenna was the perfect reaction, but his persistence was exemplary as was his reaction of (slight) anger.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 12:42:42 AM PST
Bill Bee says:
Anna, I can't possibly summarize almost 20 hours of class in a message. I will say that Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice follows very closely the six stage plot development that is used in 90% of movies. (Point of no return at the 50% mark. This was Darcy's proposal and letter.) Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 12:47:30 AM PST
Bill Bee says:
Dora, Devil in Winter is one of my favorite books. I haven't made any progress on Again the Magic, but your message does not bode well for the book. Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 12:58:20 AM PST
Bill Bee says:
Catheryne, I do intend to stick this one out as soon as I get back to it. I am rereading Sense and Sensibility now and have a book club book to read before the meeting on March 9. And I am presenting part of the program on Northanger Abbey for the local chapter meeting of JASNA on March 7. Busy busy busy. Oh, I also have to go to work, darn it. Bill

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 3:34:53 AM PST
Hi all, I have been a lurker in this thread for a couple of days and just got up the nerve to post...lol...

I just bought a box of Marsha Canham books on eBay. They are on top of by TBR pile. Does anyone enjoy her books? If so, what one should I start with, from what I can tell, I have bought all of them with this purchase. Did I buy some great books or are they bad....lol....

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Rebecca

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 3:41:25 AM PST
Susan says:
Rebecca--I read one of her books and really couldn't get into it. I've heard a lot of good things about her though, so I can't wait to hear the responses to your question.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 5:14:09 AM PST
Yvette says:
Just finished last week Pleasure of a Dark Prince and about to start Gena Showalter's Darkest Night, never read her is this a good place to start? lots of good reviews on the site's discussion page, ahh waiting for april/may preordered Ward'sLovermine and Harris' Dead in the Family. anyway feel naked without a book

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 8:24:27 AM PST
DoraLady says:
Bill,

Please do not let my opinion of Again the Magic influence you.

By the way do you know that THE BLACK MOTH by Georgette Heyer is now a public domain book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 8:42:18 AM PST
DoraLady says:
Catheryne,

I think everyone loves the ending ot Again the magic.

Even though they were in love originally, Lisa Kleypas, did have to show the heroine letting herself be loved. That was major in this story.

I do not think the hero came back with love in his heart or mind. Revenge yes. I felt the turning point for the hero was when he found out she was still a virgin.

Lisa Kleypas did have to do the courtship and show that the hero did love the heroine. I do think that she accomplished that goal.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 8:52:37 AM PST
Sprite says:
why-o-why can't I find time to read? I have really slowed down my reading since December (not intentionally). I am half way through Veil of Midnight and like the rest of the series, I love it. I actually did not expect to like the hero because he was not one of my favorite secondary characters in previous books...but he has grown on me. I STILL have The Secret on my dresser to read....at least it made it our of the TBR bookcase. I really want to devote all my attention to Secret so I am going to wait until this weekend to start. It should be a good weekend to read (fingers crossed).

Happy reading everyone.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 9:51:28 AM PST
Books, etc. says:
I bought Sense And Sensibility for a buck.
Anna

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010, 10:13:58 AM PST
About a week ago, I was browsing the local library and picked up a book by Kathryn Shay, Promises to Keep. I enjoyed it so much, I ran back and checked out every book at the library I could find by her. I found and read "Trust in Me" which was wonderful. I am currently reading "After The Fire" and am having trouble putting it down. "On the Line" is the next book I plan to read by her. I carry it in my purse so that I will have it right away after I finish this one. Each book so far has more than one story line, which add tremendously to book and will not confuse you. I highly recommend this author. I rarely post to this site, but I read it constantly. I just had to let everyone know how good these books are. I was wondering if anyone else has read her and what they think of her. HIGH MARKS TO KATHRYN SHAY!

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 10:48:04 AM PST
Hi all;

Boy have you all been Chatty Pattys! I just finised ONE NIGHT FOR LOVE by Balogh 2 days ago. It was a 4 * read for me. The Hero was such a Beta male and I just wanted him to be more aggressive...(sorry Bill I know you love beta men for H's). It was a good story and I loved that Lily said no to him and went off to be educated. If I were her I would want the same thing so I wouldn't feel so lost in "His" world. Balogh really painted a great picture in this story of a girl going from nothing and knowing next to nothing to ....blooming into a young lady with stlye and poise. I highly recommend this book and if you love....beta men then this is the book for you!
Pam

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 10:52:22 AM PST
I am now reading ONCE AND ALWAYS by McNaught. It is sooo good and I am not that far into it yet. It looks like another great angsty read for me by this author. I am also listening to BORN IN FIRE by Nora Roberts. I am getting 2 books off my TBR pile at once for the A-Z challenge. So far the reader is OK he is not Gigante. He is an Irishman and it is interesting how he does female voices. The story is starting to pick up on disc 3....yay.
Pam

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 11:26:56 AM PST
Hi all:

I have alot of Kleypas on my Tbr shelves. I have only read a few:

STRANGER IN MY ARMS.....Hunter and Lara...Her husband is presumed dead and then....he shows back up a MUCH BETTER MAN!!! I liked this book

SCANDAL IN SPRING...Daisy and Matthew....Daisy's father says she must marry Matthew Swift......He woo's her...sweet.
I liked this book.

WORTH ANY PRICE...Charlotte and Nick.....Her family makes her marry icky Lord Radnor....In the end she marry's Nick a bowstreet runner. I didn't like this book much.

WHEN STRANGERS MARRY....Lysette and Maximillian.....Lysette's family expects her to marry a plantation owner she hates and she runs away and lands in Maximillian plantation. What I remember of this book...it was okay.

SUGAR DADDY....I listened to this book. I enjoyed it and thought it was sweet with the older guy, Churchhill looking out for the younger girl, Liberty. Then the love story between Gage ( the oldest son of Churchhill) and Liberty ....so nice.

BLUE EYED DEVIL....Haven and Hardy...I hate the beginning with Haven being beat up by her scum husband. Then Haven divorces him and starts her life over again. Then along comes Hardy Cates......yummmmmmmm. I really liked this book!!!!

I have Smooth Talking Stranger on CD now...I plan to listen to it soon. I was amazed how I really enjoyed these contemps by Kleypas. I am such a historic romance person normally.

I have 12 more books of hers....one of them is AGAIN THE MAGIC. Sounds like I have alot of good reading ahead of me with this author.
Pam

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 11:31:40 AM PST
Boy Bill....You sure have been busy with that seminar. I don't know if I could sit and absorb soooo much info in such a short amount of time. Did you ever get your bushes trimmed????
Pam

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 11:38:42 AM PST
MelissaB says:
TX - For some reason I like Kleypas's contemporary books better than her historicals as well - they just resonated emotionally for me, I loved all three books, especially Smooth Talking Stranger.

So far from her historicals I have read Suddenly You and Devil in Winter - I enjoyed both of them but they were not "all time favorites" as they are to a lot of romance fans. I plan on reading more someday.

Sprite - My reading has been very slow this month too! I have only read about 10 books so far when I normally read 20 or so a month. I have just been too busy.

I am currently almost done with Pleasure of a Dark Prince by Kresley Cole, another great book in the paranormal IAD series. I love how the stories are so much fun to read - full of action, romance, adventure and humor. Larissa Ione's Demonica series has a similar exciting style but hers are a little more edgy. Both are awesome!

Next up, I plan on starting The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Cruise - my first by her!

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 11:45:17 AM PST
smccoy says:
Rebecca,
Marsha Canham is a very good author. I have enjoyed several of her books. The best ones I can think of are Pride of Lions and Blood of Roses. If I remember correctly, Blood of Roses is the sequel to Pride of Lions. Both very good, emotional books. Check out the reviews for the books you bought and decide which ones you want to read first. I haven't read them all, so I can't tell you what to read, except for the two that stand out to me which are two I mentioned. They are well worth the read.
Shelby

Posted on Feb 24, 2010, 11:47:31 AM PST
N. Kelly says:
MelissaB, I can't wait to hear what you think of Cinderella Deal. I'm not a huge Crusie fan, but I loved this story.

I've read a lot of Lisa Kleypas and I find, while I never thought of myself as a historical romance fan, I really enjoy her historicals. I like her contemporaries, but not as much. Except Blue Eyed Devil. LOVE that book. STS was cute but not great and I found I didn't really care for SD. I didnt fall in love with Gage at all. **Ducks head to avoid rocks being thrown**

I'm now listening to Vengeance in Death by JD Robb and just finished listening to Shadow Dance by Julie Garwood. I really liked that a lot. I just took Mercy out of my library because I hear it mentioned a lot here, so that will be next for me I think. I have Beyond the Highland Mist here as well, but I haven't decided if I'll read it or not.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
34 May 16, 2017
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
268 29 days ago
Worst Betrayal Ever!!! 2 1266 27 seconds ago
Need help finding a book please 1 3 minutes ago
Wester Romance featuring Native Americans 3 4 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 7897 13 minutes ago
Looking for a book ... again 9 13 minutes ago
H that have cheated on h and had a baby w/ow and h finds out can be histo0rical, contemporary od medievalmporary 148 23 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 7874 26 minutes ago
Evil In-laws 124 27 minutes ago
H(s) who might hurt/kill h 18 37 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 8171 40 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  251
Total posts:  8852
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2010
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers