Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Does size matter (for books)?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012, 8:37:23 PM PST
Jenny says:
I've noticed that romances are starting to come in a lot more sizes than they used to. I measured my old paperbacks and they're about 4" x 7". The ones I'm seeing on the shelves now are 5" x 8" or even 6" x 9". Has anyone else noticed this size shifting? At first I thought I preferred the 4" x 7", but now I'm finding size doesn't really matter.

What are others' thoughts? Do you have a books size you prefer? Or does it not matter?

Jenny

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012, 8:48:01 PM PST
M. says:
You're referring to mass market paperbacks -the small ones- versus trade paperbacks -the larger and highly variable sizes- I think?
I prefer mass market pbs, they fit better on a shelf which is a huge deal when you have a lot of books to store, plus they tend to be cheaper.

I was expecting this question would be about the length of books. In that case I prefer longer books to short ones ;)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012, 9:21:10 PM PST
I'm not, I'm not, I'm going to be strong (AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH). Jenny, you are killing me. :) I'm going to have to bow out for the night or the really tacky, tasteless jokes are going to begin flowing. If I burst something before tomorrow, you have a lot to answer for.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 8:00:51 AM PST
Jenny says:
Mwa ha ha! Is there anything better than a suggestive post title in a romance discussion forum? I think not.

Jenny

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 8:48:22 AM PST
You are a bad, bad, EVIL woman. :) As for books, I do have a little problem with the different sizes when I'm trying to pack them tightly in a book case (no matter how big or small my house, there is never enough wallage to contain all the book cases I need). I guess there is something to be said for standardization. Lately, I'm seeing an intermediate size between the mass market size and the almost a hard back, but with a soft cover (and usually thin and with a large font with widely spaced lines). The book is just slightly longer and costs several dollars more, and is a pain in the pertinent place when trying to fit it with the smaller books. In my opinion, the publishers are simply trying to drive us mad so we won't question the eternally soaring prices of books. (rant now turned off)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 2:52:10 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Over on the cozy mystery forum I was complaining that too many new "cozy" series are being released in trade paperback size only, usually priced at $13.99/$14.99. I didn't understand the publisher's logic, since it's tough to give a new series/author a try at those prices. An author wrote back that trade paperbacks are actually cheaper for the publisher since they can request a very small "run", limiting their risk on an author who doesn't have a proven track record. I prefer to read on my kindle, but if I do buy a dtb I have to admit I kind of like that trade paperback size (except for the price, of course!). I can't stand reading a long book in paperback, trying to bend the spine so it's comfortable to hold/read. Years ago I read 'Outlander' in an itty-bitty paperback size...ugh!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 3:10:11 PM PST
I have a Kindle so all my books are the same size . :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 3:15:44 PM PST
OMG! Outlander was probably thicker that it was wide in a trade paperback.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012, 5:00:47 PM PST
L. Burns says:
Lol, I read it in mass market paperback, roughly the size of two short bricks! That was the book that convinced me to buy a kindle;)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012, 5:20:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 11, 2017, 5:33:18 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012, 6:01:40 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
I'm pretty much ebooks only as well; however, when I occasionally re-read one of my old books, I prefer the mass market size - I think because the page is about the same size as the Kindle screen. :-)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012, 6:06:18 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Length matters more to me,and I prefer at least a minimum of 288 pgs,but have enjoyed several novellas.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
36 25 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
286 1 day ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 4371 7 hours ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 3335 7 hours ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 6676 7 hours ago
cassie sinclair's mate, from lora leigh's breed series 343 7 hours ago
Can't Seem to Find Anything Good to Read 0 7 hours ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 4418 7 hours ago
Best and Worst of Kristen Ashley? 170 7 hours ago
H puts OW before h 932 8 hours ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 8357 8 hours ago
Free Today Third Edition 8339 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers