Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

"Installment Plan" Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 231 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:33:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2014 8:44:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:36:22 PM PST
I agree. It didn't have an ending, it just ended. Mid scene. No resolution, not even really considered a cliff hanger. It was like a tv show going to commercial break, and you know it will pick the scene back up when the break is over, not like the end of an episode.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:12:20 PM PST
Bared to You is a full length novel, although it has a fairly ambiguous ending so it feels like an installment. I enjoyed Bared to You but I was absolutely enthralled with the sequel, Reflected in You. It really resonated with me even though I have absolutely nothing in common with either of the main characters. I've already reread Reflected at least half a dozen times, although I sometimes start in the middle. I avoided these books for a long time because I despise cliffhanger endings, but I am so SO glad I broke my own rules for this one. I liked FSoG okay, but this one feels like FSoG's grown up cousin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:53:03 PM PST
awaltr says:
@ambrosia, Author Jasinda Wilder is a serial installment author. "Biker Billionaire", "Preacher's Son", "Big Girls". Sable Hunter did too with her "Hell yeah!" series. Although hers could be stand alones I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:06:43 PM PST
I think Beth Kery's Because You Are Mine Part I: Because You Tempt Me serial fits.

I cannot stand this trend. Ms. Kery is an author who went from auto-buy to never-buy for me because of it. As for Bared to You, its being a serialization would have guaranteed Ms. Day a spot on my never-buy list as well if the awfulness and absurdity of the book hadn't already done so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:07:52 PM PST
holy schniks! 1.99 for 61 pages...h-e-double hockey sticks to the no

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:15:52 PM PST
Indeed, Ms. Kery and her publisher spewed this nonsense out with big fat dollar signs sparkling in their eyes. There are 10 installments, I think so you pay $20 for the privilege of reading 1 ebook. And I suspect it is just another FSOG knockoff.

I think much of this trend is due to the massive screwup the publishing industry has become, but that's another rant for another day.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:20:12 PM PST
Mercered says:
Because You Are Mine Part I: Because You Tempt Me
At His Service: The Billionaire's Beck and Call (A BDSM Erotic Romance)
My Forever is You, Book 1: Reunited (Submitting to the Billionaire)
For His Pleasure (For His Pleasure, Book 1) (The Submission of Miss Masters, Domination, BDSM)
Because You Are Mine Part I: Because You Tempt Me
Collide: The Secret Life of Trystan Scott (Volume 1)
Secrets Vol. 1 (Volume 1)

These are some I ran into...some I started reading before I realized what they were.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:20:28 PM PST
from the description it sounds like it - I haven't read 50 shades, I don't intend to read 50 shades or any of the crappy knock-offs

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:20:46 PM PST
Then there are all those Siren serials, that I think we figured up, with 9 installments, at 5 bucks a pop, would end up costing roughly 45 big ones to get the whole story. And the one (really bad, like train wreck you can't look away bad) serial I was kinda sorta following just stopped coming out with new "episodes".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:29:55 PM PST
Those crazy LoveXstreme things? There was one with longhornn shifters being discussed a while back. I knew they were crazy but I didn't realize they were that crazy expensive!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:31:01 PM PST
Yep those are the ones I'm talking about. There were supposed to be 9, they got to 6 and just stopped. They were so bad, but kinda fun to read and tear apart. My book group would trade off reading them and giving a chapter by chapter flogging.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:31:44 PM PST
Doreen says:
Yikes! 10 installments? I love Beth Kery but I don't like the couple's story to spill over into multiple books. Probably why I never read Outlander.
A traditional series where the background storyline is on-going (ie: Laurann Dohner's New Species) absolutely, but I want the HEA for the main characters at the end of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:33:42 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
No, no, no! You can just read Outlander, and stop there. It has a definitive HEA. It's only if you decide to read on that you get trapped into more books. :)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. That's my ALL TIME FAVORITE book. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:34:52 PM PST
Outlander in itself is a single book - you don't have to read the rest of the series if you don't want to - but if you do, then you will likely want to read me...but the fact that it is even being mentioned in this thread is kind of disconcerting - it is the furthest thing from the installments that there is - if that is one, then pretty much any UF series should be listed here - since they feature the same characters and not necessarily getting a HEA at the end of each book

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:38:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:45:53 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:41:30 PM PST
+ infinity

I am glad to see this thread. I really hate the trend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:43:13 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
But, the way the book is written, the main couple DOES have an HEA at the end of the first book. If one were to read Outlander without knowledge of the others in the series having been published, one would never think there was a need to continue.

I read Outlander when it was first published. I had no idea there would be a second book until I saw it for sale in the book store, 3 years later.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:45:09 PM PST
I guess it could be construed as a romance, but to me is it historical fiction with romantic underpinnings - in that the romance takes a backseat to the historical story

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:45:50 PM PST
I read the first Outlander, and while I enjoyed it, I felt it ended very nicely, and have felt no real urge to commit to the time it would take to read the rest of the series, and I'm ok with that.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:46:42 PM PST
Susan says:
I just finished This Man. Hate the unfinished story, but at least feel like I got my money's worth. I refuse to buy a book that is "installment" based--100 pages or less generally. Did anyone else see that Tiffany Snow has one coming out, but the supplements are free and automatically sent to you? Not sure how I feel about it, but at least you don't have to keep paying for a chapter or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:50:45 PM PST
I think I would be more ok with the principle if didn't have to pay - my understanding is that amazon is doing kindle serials but it is one payment and a set number of books

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:52:15 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Great! I didn't know this was a sequel in the making. I just let them have there HEA and went on to other authors. Sometime ignorance is bliss:(

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:58:52 PM PST
D. Arnold says:
Anything He Wants

This I found out after starting had 5 installments with the last 5th one to be the end. As author stated on website. Author was picked up by publisher and the 5th book had all the installments, extras (I think), and DID not finish the story. I refuse to pay anymore or waste time on finishing it. I made up an ending in my head and I am good with it!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:16:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:17:42 PM PST
mamma g says:
Thank you so much for starting this discussion. I was wanting to vent, but didn't know if any one else had already jumped on this topic. I am so tired of starting a book and then finding out it is in installments! I just know realized how many authors are doing this. I have decided that enough is enough! I make sure and see if the book is part one of many "chapters". Do you know if the author ever intends to compile all these into one book? Sure would save me time and money if they would at least hint that eventually they would be. I hope that more people read this topic and then let the author/publishers know how unhappy we are with this new trend!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions