Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 6:40:49 AM PDT
I love my electronic reader. I get to take all my books everywhere with me!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 6:42:09 AM PDT
Mat- I have books in shoe boxes in my closet cause I know my hubby does not care anything about shoes!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 6:44:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011, 6:45:19 AM PDT
Thanks. You can never know when this tip might be useful!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 7:26:58 AM PDT
booknuts says:
i filled my fireplace's woodbox with books in my TBR pile--don't use the fireplace, of course. i also use books in decorating--place a lamp on top of an artfully styled pile of books!
hardly a day goes by without me buying at least one book, whether it's a DTB or an e-book for my kindle. i gave myself a K3 for mom's day and have over 200 books on it now, 3/4 of them free! have discovered many new (to me!) authors, which is always a blessing

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 8:01:18 AM PDT
Jean says:
Dear Book Buying Confessional:

Forgive me, for I have REALLY sinned. I devised a devious cover-up of the amount of money I spend on books for my Kindle, wherein I buy an Amazon gift card while I'm grocery shopping and apply it to my account. The extra money spent for groceries does not even cause the slightest blip on the radar. I could justify it by saying I deserve some reward for performing that odius grocery shopping chore but, really, I'm just a big, book-buying sinner. :)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 8:04:03 AM PDT
I can see that this forum has more uses than books. We can get information about re-decorating our homes. Just perfect! What else can we do while being here?

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 8:17:59 AM PDT
Noelle says:
LOL, you guys are way too funny! I love all of the ideas on how to be more devious with our adiction. So I now know that I need to buy a Amazon gift card while shoping, store books in my shoe boxes and try to disguise them as library books (the last one probably wont work because I've never used a library and my husband knows this). As far as a 12 step program for our adiction, I think the first step is to admit that you have a problem................What problem???

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 8:30:26 AM PDT
No problem at all. An addiction to books is probably the healthiest of them. Every time my husband starts whining about my precious books, I remind him of HIS addiction to smoking (impossible to quit). The line is "anyone turning real money into ashes, has no right to judge other peoples addictions". There is no valid answer to this.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 8:32:10 AM PDT
KC says:
Hear, Hear, Noelle! Better a problem of reading a great deal than drinking a great deal! After all, unless you're trying to read while driving (I've tried--doesn't work!), who are you going to hurt?

But I've had to tell myself I cannot listen to audiobooks while driving, or watch movies; I get too wrapped up in the story, or whatever, and suddenly there are horns honking around me, etc. Luckily, no accidents, but plenty of warning signs!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 8:36:15 AM PDT
M. Maldonado says:
Well I'm certainly in good company because I have a serious problem with my growing TBR pile! I also look for free books first then I look for .99 cent books. I'm a bit more under control in my spending by selecting to get the sample of a book I may want to read. If the book is more then $7.99 which is usually my limit I look for it at the library, that's why I can wait to have the Library e-book feature activated in our kindles! I also got my sister and several other family members to buy kindles since they loved mine so know we have the "lending" feature to share some books. I've also given-up Starbucks to supplement my book addiction!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 9:08:41 AM PDT
What grocery stores are you shopping at to get gift cards? My husband saw our bank statement with Amazon on it over and over again. Now I have to sit there on swagbucks earning 5 dollar cards so I can have books (which takes forever, I might add).

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 9:08:43 AM PDT
hiker says:
i have ordered 27 books from july 26 til now since vacation... terrible addiction.... i can get books immediately when i'm on an author role... lol... love it and hate it at the same time... i can't hardly pick up a paper book now when before i loved the feel, smell and the cover art on books... (i love to bend pages..lol) we had a huge community yard sale with alot lot of books going for 10 cents and stuff like that i picked up a bunch of books on my amazon wish list and can't make myself read them... lol... hows that for a confession..

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 9:12:29 AM PDT
Noelle says:
@KC- I've learned that I need to listen to calming music (Adele, Taylor Swift ect.) while driving because it tends to lessen the "road rage" feeling yet I can still pay attention to my driving. I think that if I was to listen to an audio book, I would probably end up in an accident. lol

Has anyone bought any new books this week?? If so what did you add to your tbrs??

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 9:13:06 AM PDT
hiker says:
i have saw amazon gift cards at cvs... also you can buy printable gift cards from amazon... i hear you about the bank statement with amazon all over it..lol... i do wonder if you could get those visa or master card gift cards from department stores and they would work? i'm with you on being more stealth about the buying..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 9:19:34 AM PDT
CVS? Oh, I'm there. Now I have to come up with a reason why I changed pharmacys for our prescriptions...lol. Or the idea of buying visa or master cards. I think I might try that one too.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 9:27:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011, 9:28:08 AM PDT
Dear book buying confessional, My husband's cc reward was a $25 GC for Amazon. Did I share the money with my husband? NO. I told him I was spending it all on me! And then I did so! He wanted to spend some time and search for at least one, but I told him that I had a list to buy a mile long and that if he found a book he wanted, he could just buy it, but to let me use the free money on my list! He was a pretty good sport about it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 9:50:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011, 9:53:30 AM PDT
Cali says:
Bea Reader,
I love love love my Kindle - it's the basic WiFi ($139) and the battery stays charged longer when the WiFi is kept off until I am ready to download books - which I prefer to do from my computer anyway - and there is a "send a free sample" button that also helps with the temptation to buy too quickly!

The more expensive Kindles (with 3G) are only necessary I think for people who travel and need to be able to download from anywhere (since periodicals are available too). I'll just quickly mention that I first had the Kindle with special offers ($114), but the adds coming at me everytime I turned it on or went to the Home page wasn't worth the $25 difference to me.

And since I too have a wonderful but "non-reading-for-pleasure husband", it's WONDERFUL to be able to have as many books as I want, discreetly kept in such a small package! (No more piles by my nightstand and no more eyeball rolling when "another amazon package with another book" shows up on our doorstep!)

And I have to say I LOVE all the creative ways other book addicts have found to hide their addiction! Lol!!

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 9:58:29 AM PDT
Jean says:
Quiet Time - I pick up the gift cards at Kroger (Michigan). They carry gift cards for just about everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 10:01:40 AM PDT
KC says:
Hmm, maybe I'd better switch over from CCR & Blood Sweat & Tears, Rolling Stones, etc, but surely N. Diamond, B. Manilow & Moody Blues help with calming, as I'm singing along. Altho' I got a speeding ticket while crusiing along to Proud Mary (Ike & Tina version).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 10:05:07 AM PDT
M. Maldonado says:
Target carries the Amazon Gift cards and I believe so does Safeway and Fry's which is part of Kroger (I'm in AZ). Go to their gift card area they should have a large display and Amazon cards come in denominations of $25 and up! Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 10:59:46 AM PDT
Jean, that is where I shop! (I too live in Michigan) I can't believe I've never seen them.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 11:07:42 AM PDT
Jean says:
Keep your eyes peeled next time, Quiet! :)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 11:12:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011, 6:27:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011, 11:19:06 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I'm like that too, when I discover a 'new to me' author that I really like I HAVE to have every book by her. What I usually do it go to the ubs and buy up her back list. I soooo want to go this weekend but I'm going to have to take some books to sell with me, there is no way my husband will be behind me spending more $$ on books right now. I just paid off my cc a few weeks ago and he found out the amount on it (600.00) he about had a heart attack and he put his foot down and said "no more". Well his foot's not very big and I lasted a couple of weeks so that has to count for something right??

Posted on Aug 10, 2011, 11:22:33 AM PDT
Oh, I feel SO much better. Glad to know I am not the only one afflicted. I've owned my Kindle for 2 1/2 years (well, had a K2 and now a K3). I have 754 items in my archive and 77 currently on my kindle that I have yet to read. These numbers don't tell the full story since some of them represent collections/bundles encompassing several "books".

In the meantime, I have an Amazon wish list with about 300 items on it. You see, I try to tell myself I'll be good and not buy a new book (auto-buy authors excluded of course) until I've made some real headway on my TBR list. So I add them to the Wish List. Then within 24 hours I have a moment (or 5) of weakness and immediately buy recommended books that seem just too good not to read immediately. (a lot of those 77 TBR on my kindle fall into this category - so I guess I could have just added them to my wish list and waited...) Oh, the evil of One-click buy. And discovering a new author and just having to read their back-list (or at least other books in a specific series).

Regarding sneaky ways to store books... I have a ton of them in our older suitcases we never use, which are stacked in a storage closet. The 5 pieces we use regularly are empty, but the other 5... no one is the wiser :)
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
34 May 16, 2017
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
263 4 days ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 6216 19 minutes ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 3171 19 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #6 1787 20 minutes ago
Looking for true plus size heroine books 11 20 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 9262 23 minutes ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 7648 25 minutes ago
Are you missing your threads from the right side of page? 85 41 minutes ago
I emailed Jeff Bezos 80 47 minutes ago
find this romance 1 1 hour ago
Romance with no "big misunderstanding" 14 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  218
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  May 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers