Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

"Installment Plan" Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 231 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 3:56:49 PM PST
cathyr says:
Some of the problems readers have raised re serialized
- the author doesn't have a clear direction - and cannot make changes to events after the fact (as would occur during the editing process of the book in it's entirety)
- the cost becomes extravagant ($1 per chapter for a 15 chapter book?)
- the author becomes ill (or dies) and the investment so far becomes worthless
- length of time between episodes
- length of each instalment (10 pages for $1 is still expensive to many)
- quality of the product
- author not stating up front it's only a "partial product"
- author not clearly stating how long the serial will be

As an author, you may feel these are pros.

But they can be *huge* issues for the reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 4:10:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013, 6:10:50 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 4:27:05 PM PST
cathyr says:
Done well, an instalment series may be exactly what the reader wants/is prepared to invest in.

If the author has a good strong plan and can see the big picture of the book.
If the reader is prepared to pay smaller amounts over a period of time, even if it results in a higher overall cost (eg rent to own).
If the author knows s/he can produce the complete product within the specified time frame.

Quick look at your profile - you look at tribal genealogy.
Consider a monthly serialised book, non fiction.
Chapter 1 - general definitions.
Chapter 2 - history of genealogy.
Last Chapter - future developments.
Could work really well produced monthly.

Similarly, those "Learn how to..." magazines you can get from the newsagent. I had one for cross-stitch which was pretty cool - ultimately more expensive than if I bought an equivalent book + materials, but an easier investment at the time.

Author Stephen King attempted to produce a serialized book. It needed early adopters and basically failed because he could not get enough committed investors (is that right?). He is a *strong* writer. If anyone could write a book starting at chapter 1 and going all the way to the end, maintaining consistency, fluency, structure, timing, it would be an author of his calibre. But do you want to read a novel only one chapter per month?

OTOH graphic novels and comics have always been produced in this way. We watch sitcoms and Lost in this manner. It *could* work.

But my thinking is a book takes much polishing, re-working, editing, and work to produce a quality product. It would be the rare author who can produce a book starting at page 1, ending at page last, never going back to edit or forward to "just get it down", that stands up to the test of time.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012, 4:31:45 PM PST
cathyr says:
Just in case threads move too far and interested readers miss this: Z Stefani responds to suggestions "Insufferable Proximity" is becoming an instalment plan book:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdThread=Tx3SV1LZLOQKS9O

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 5:55:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013, 6:10:09 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012, 6:27:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012, 6:28:59 PM PST
Sortia says:
Ok, authors seem to be listening. I was reading a post in Maryse's blog and she was giving the reading order for ANYTHING HE WANTS by SARA FAWKES and then she posted the following:

:::no more "installments" as of part #5, she will be releasing full length books to continue the series, AND

<-- Good news! All of the first "installments" were just released as one book, right here: Anything He Wants

"... it's pretty clear from reviews that readers aren't interested in reading the story as I write it anymore, sending out the installments when they're finished. This is fine - people are used to novels, not serialized fiction - but it means for the rest of the series that we'll have to wait for the entire story to be done before any kind of release. The masses have spoken: for now, no more serials...":::::

So, yeah... finally they are listening!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 6:32:29 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Yay! Thanks for the heartening news. First sign that these threads are working.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012, 6:39:42 PM PST
Sortia says:
We MUST keep these threads alive by posting the books we identify as installments. This isn't blackmail, it is us readers demanding respect from authors and publishers.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012, 6:59:57 PM PST
Melanie says:
YES ^^^^^

Posted on Nov 30, 2012, 6:32:08 PM PST
I really do not care about Z stefani... such a self-promoter and shrew when she self promoted it in March -april in this forum + warning h withnesses H having sex with OW. Badly written too

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 9:20:45 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Well I did it again! Started reading a book I had on my kindle, got to the end and find out it was just the first chapters. After looking on GR I find that it has about 8 books or since it was last year pubs, you can get the whole book with 900 pages. The reviews were not that great imo for the rest of the story. Unless someone can tell me this is fabulous read I am not going any further! :( I hate when I do this. Hate the authors more for the deception!

Safe With Me: The Complete Series (Safe With Me (erotic romance))

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 9:29:59 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I DNFd at part 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 9:59:34 AM PST
ambrosia says:
D. Arnold: I agree with HJ that it's not worth your time to finish, but if you want to, I can loan the complete set to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 10:11:31 AM PST
D. Arnold says:
Thanks, but I still feel there was nothing that stood out to me in the reading of the 1st or the reviews. I will pass for now.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 4:38:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012, 4:40:03 PM PST
Sortia says:
A review for Taking Stage: A Night with the Rock Star (The Complete 5-Part Series):

:::"It would be nice if you let the reader know before hand that your mini series would come out in a complete packege. Therefore they would not have to spend $2.99 per part. They could save money by buying the series. The series was great. Just disappointed this pack came out a day after part 5 was released.":::

And this is why these anti-installment "books" threads should be kept alive...

Posted on Dec 3, 2012, 3:56:47 AM PST
Amyalissa says:
I got suckered into another one...I read Front Man by Adora Bell thinking it was a novella, but it ended with "Jack and Sara will return soon in Front Man: One Night in Paris." Really? The book description didn't lead me to believe there would be anything more than one book, but no, I can continue the story for another $2.99. No thank you!

Posted on Dec 6, 2012, 12:44:33 PM PST
ambrosia says:
Here's a book for $3.99 where the description and title contain NO warnings that it's an installment book: Intense Insane In Love

Luckily a review makes it clear that there is no HEA in this book and the story will be continued in book 2.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012, 5:13:53 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=TxKBL2D5GW8HER taking installment to a new level?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012, 5:24:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012, 5:59:59 PM PST
Dog Lover says:
Sheesh, that was annoying, wasn't it?

I do want to give some props to the guy though. At least he didn't rant and his posts were well written. At the end he also clearly indicated that he knows HOW serials are supposed to work - not as draft or incomplete chapters thrown onto the site as they are written.

That whole thing made my head hurt.

DL

EtA: I was referring to the thread on the Kindle Book forum from the same guy which resulted in his posting on the MOA. The MOA thread starts off with his saying how the fact that people are reading on cell-phones makes Serial books a good alternative. What's next? A paragraph at a time to satisfy the Twitter crowd?

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 7:26:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012, 7:26:58 AM PST
Sortia says:
An answer to the author who was asking for opinions about the "fantastic idea" of spliting his book into installments:

:::::"I've got an even better idea. You set a price for your book and then send me a copy for free. Then I will start reading it. Every time I read a page I will pay you for the percentage of the book I've read. In other words if the book is 500 pages long and I read 5 pages then I will send you 1% of the price of the book. If later on I read another 5 pages I will send you another 1% and so on.

Now if the book is less than spectacular I probably won't read it very fast so your payments may be drawn out over several months or even years. In fact I can't even guarantee to finish it but you will probably at least receive that first 1%. Or perhaps only a tenth of a percent if I don't make it through more than the first couple paragraphs. But that's the exciting and innovative part of my idea. I'm breaking the fee into easy to deposit payments.":::::

BEST answer ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 7:27:35 AM PST
i saw that and just laughed this am

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 7:33:49 AM PST
Sortia says:
LOL, it was brilliant. we couldn't have said it better!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012, 7:39:10 AM PST
Melanie says:
I loved that answer! It was just so perfect!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 7:49:43 AM PST
Sortia says:
And If this author doesn't get a clue about installments by the fact that this answer got a lot of "yes" votes and the OP was in contrast downvoted, I'm seriously tempted to give him the link to this thread...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012, 7:50:57 AM PST
Melanie says:
A very good idea!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
34 May 16, 2017
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
268 3 days ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 3224 29 minutes ago
H puts OW before h 637 33 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 7637 39 minutes ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 6400 48 minutes ago
don't shoot me!!! 2 3579 1 hour ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 4022 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #6 2018 1 hour ago
books similar to Zapata's Kulti/ The Wall of Winnipeg and me 262 1 hour ago
Biker Romance Part 2 9393 2 hours ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 7912 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers