Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

H/h have a language barrier

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 6:44:45 PM PST
I read this rom where the H was stranded on a deserted island but finds out there is a girl there. She is a savage and doesn't speak any English but learns on his time on the island. It makes for very cute moments.

There was an helicopter overhead and the H runs to the flare gun to shoot off, but then hops on his back to throw away the gun not wanting him to leave her. He tries to explain that he would take her home with him and she brokenly says 'You're home.' I thought it was really cute.

There's also another scene where he pulls out during sex and she gets upset. She doesn't talk to him for days thinking that she didn't please him enough to make 'true love' to her. He tries to explain that his semen would make her pregnant with gestures but she doesn't understand and thinks he's calling her fat. She refused to cook the meat he hunts saying that 'it you who [gestures being fat]"

Are there any recommendations that have a language barrier between the H and h? I love contemporary and paranormal but open to anything.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:09:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:10:18 PM PST
Jen says:
Gabrielle, which book are you talking about? It sounds intriguing!

Sorry, I can't think of any books with a language barrier but I will keep pondering on it. The only one I could think of was Annie's Song However, this was not a typical language barrier as such (not spoken language, anyway) - the h is deaf and he has to try to communicate with her while he is learning to lip read. It leads to some very interesting moments between them!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:16:38 PM PST
graviola says:
The Golden Dynasty, not very cute...and they learn a bit fast... it's fantastical and the H makes me think of Drogo(?) of the series Game of Thrones. I like it a lot, it's not perfect but I like how the author didn't go overboard with it the language barrier.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:27:38 PM PST
Ooooh, I can't remember the title or author for the life of me. I read it on Wattpad and then I think the author went the self-publishing route. I wish I could remember. It was the most interesting storyline. When he tried to explain love to her she just nodded and smiled like she was amused at him until he broke it down explaining how much she loved and adored the land, that was what he felt for her.

I did read Annie's Song and the Golden Dynasty, they were both very good with the language barrier. And yum, Khal Drogo.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:33:25 PM PST
Robin Wilson says:
Wild Thing (Harlequin American Romance, No. 845)

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:36:52 PM PST
read4fun says:
Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:10:30 AM PST
If you ever do remember the title, let us know. Sounds like a good read.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:16:48 AM PST
Bling says:
Yeah, would really like to read that book. The fat thing was soo funny!

My rec is:
Captive Bride by Bonnie Dee. H is American, speaks English while h is Chinese and speaks only Mandarin. h has been brought to America on pretext of getting married but finds out that future husband intends to make her a prostitute. Runs into H and story proceeds from there. Loved this book :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:30:43 AM PST
Bling says:
read4fun, been meaning to read this book since a while, but have been hesitant mainly because I'm pretty sure I will love the H (from the reviews) but not so much the h. I don't know why I got this impression but this one review has been stuck in my head which said the h is mean to the hero (Which I probably won't be able to stomach since he's been so abused already). Is the h likeable?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:33:34 AM PST
Serena says:
If anyone knows which book Gabrielle is talking about, pleaseee tell us:)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:51:26 AM PST
read4fun says:
@Blitzkrieg
I am sorry to say I haven't read it yet..., but I bought it because of all the good reviews. May be somebody else can give you spoilers about the h. I'd like to know as well if she isn't likeable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:21:30 AM PST
Bling says:
@read4fun

oh! Thanks anyway! I'll tell you if I come to know.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:23:30 AM PST
LibraryLady says:
Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole. It is the 8th of a series, though. The H is more beast than man at first, but changes for her.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 2:04:21 PM PST
Meg says:
Does anyone know the book in the first post, I just read this...

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 8:12:12 AM PDT
Amber says:
bump

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:44:46 PM PDT
PinkiexLi says:
Micah's Island has this theme but the roles are reversed. In this book, it's the h that is stranded on the island and the H is the savage. He doesn't speak and has never seen a woman.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 8:41:37 AM PDT
Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, Book 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 9:59:16 AM PDT
SunFlowers says:
I second Captive Bride. That was the first book that came to mind. From what I remember it was pretty good. The hero was very sweet and patient with the heroine and a honest, upstanding guy trying to protect her.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 10:31:05 AM PDT
MD says:
Micah's Island is only 99 pages. I prefer books to be at least 150 pages.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 5:53:32 PM PDT
Jin Lam says:
Close Encounters by: Katherine Allred. Love this book

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 4:49:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2014 4:49:37 PM PDT
Kat says:
Could the book from the first post be Beloved Enemy (Gaian Series) by Janet Miller?

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 5:36:28 PM PDT
Banner says:
Transcendence

Great book.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 11:19:21 AM PDT
Just Danica says:
The original post is a few years old, but here are a two suggestions:

The Valley of Horses (with Bonus Content): Earth's Children, Book Two
Wounded

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 11:29:00 AM PDT
The Lion's Lady, heroine was raised in a Native American tribe. She did learn English but as the hero points out "takes everything literally". They have a number of misunderstandings.

Posted on May 1, 2014 5:54:42 AM PDT
Lives2Read says:
The Last Hour of Gann
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
28 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 Jul 18, 2016
Need help finding book title please!!!!!!! 2 4 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 5783 18 minutes ago
Free Today Third Edition 3653 30 minutes ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 1129 48 minutes ago
Weekend Reading - 26-28 August 9 50 minutes ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 9697 55 minutes ago
Reverse Harem- why can't i find any? 163 1 hour ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 2775 1 hour ago
unknown books that left you breathless? 150 1 hour ago
looking for book title (contemp.may/dec romance) 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions