Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Angsty YA for the more mature reader

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 58 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 15, 2012, 11:47:37 AM PDT
mehar ... which book is that? I too hate the hard to get , inside turns in puddle

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012, 6:50:03 PM PDT
Novelsta says:
Someone Else's Fairytale

Posted on May 16, 2012, 8:41:33 AM PDT
If you like fantasy, I highly recommend DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor and GRACELING by Kristin Cashore.

For contemporary, you might enjoy:
THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson
THE DUFF by Kody Keplinger (which was already recommended)
GRAFFITI MOON by Cath Crowley
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

Posted on May 16, 2012, 8:46:52 AM PDT
OMG - I can't believe I forgot to post my fave YA series. The Soul Screamers books by Rachel Vincent (starting with My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers Book 1) ) are really good; the first book is only semi-angsty but the angst ratchets up every book. I love these books and am alternately yearning and dreading the upcoming one.

Posted on May 28, 2012, 5:31:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012, 5:32:12 PM PDT
R. Canning says:
I just finished Easy and I really really enjoyed it. Tammara Webber does a fabulous job with character building. This story is set in college - h/h are senior/sophomore. Thought provoking, angtsy, mature storyline - GREAT!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012, 5:57:55 PM PDT
bookfetish says:
Elizabeth reyes.. anything by her is awesome
Lauren Barnholdt - Two way street
April Lindner - Jane

Posted on May 29, 2012, 1:20:24 AM PDT
Mary says:
Anything by Melina Marchetta- On the Jellicoe Road, Saving Francesca, Piper's Son, Looking for Alibrandi. I can read her books over and over again, and they still really get to me.

Posted on May 29, 2012, 1:23:30 AM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
Sheltered thought it is under ellora's cave the heroine is 19 and the Hero is not much older. It is not as erotic as some of the other books I've read from Ellora's cave. I liked the story and wished it was longer.

Posted on May 29, 2012, 2:27:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2012, 2:30:00 AM PDT]

Posted on May 29, 2012, 2:27:44 AM PDT
Just about anything by Sarah Dessen

Posted on Jun 19, 2012, 11:51:34 AM PDT
Beeg Panda says:
Diremommy - have you seen this treasure trove - NA Alley - http://naalley.blogspot.com/p/about.html ?

Ive just heard about it in another discussion in the YA section: "Where are the romance novels with college age characters? " It very new - April 2012 as far as I can see, so very much a work in progress -

Ive just gone into the blog and havent had a chance to really look around yet, but I certainly will.

Here is what they have to say on:
Why it was created:
"The seven of us have come together to shine a light on the space that exists between Young Adult (YA) and Adult fiction. In life, we can't skip those years between being a teenager and being a full-grown adult, and in fiction, we shouldn't skip these years either, or shelve these years within another genre......."

Mission statement:
"NA Alley was created to inspire and encourage writers and readers of new adult (NA) fiction. We are here to build a community and will network as much as possible through social media, and will always look for new opportunities to reach out........"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012, 11:56:20 AM PDT
Bitchie says:
Thanks I'll look around there!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012, 1:05:48 PM PDT
kbuck73 says:
I am always looking for the older YA that has adult themes. I second the rec to read anything by Melina Marchetta. You will not go wrong with any of her books. Here are some others that I think are great, and I found after reading If I Stay and Where She Went (favorites of mine).

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

You don't have to say you love me by Sarra Manning

Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines

How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie Debartolo

Double Cluch by Liz Reinhardt

The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Flat-out Love by Jessica Park

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012, 4:22:54 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I'm so sorry to be negative here, but Jessica Park is an author that b!tches at negative reviewers and is so disrespectful of readers in general, that I refuse to consider her books.

On the other hand, On the Island is one of my new favorite books this year, and The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines, is on my TBR.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012, 4:43:06 PM PDT
TrishaLouise says:
I just finished Thomas & January by Fisher Amelie and enjoyed it. Callum & Harper was my favorite of the two but T&J lived up to C&H.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012, 5:32:01 PM PDT
Mercered says:
Trishlouise: i just got this one. As soon as I finish reading Awry (The Archers of Avalon, Book Two) I'm going to read thomas & january.
Your reply to Mercered's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012, 5:53:17 PM PDT
ugh, their first two listed authors are jessica park and jamie mcguire...ugh

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 1:38:38 PM PST
MOM2JTV says:
Jessica Park is a different bird, but I haven't seen first hand her attacks on readers/reviewers. I follow her on Facebook, and I tend to not like any of her posts, sometimes I've even been offended. That said, I did love Flat Out Love, so I try not to judge a book by its author.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 2:43:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 2:45:59 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
I respect your opinion, MOM2JTV, but there are 'thousands' of other authors that I can read that behave respectfully toward their fans/potential customers, so I have no problem ignoring and not supporting those that don't. Personally, I believe that if readers support authors who behave badly, that just encourages the BBAs to continue to disrespect the very foundation that they should be honoring.

Yes, writers spend time writing the books that we read, but they need to remember that we spend valuable time reading what they put out as well. And they need to show professional courtesy, even if we don't LOVE what they've done.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 4:14:24 PM PST
I thought Forbidden was intense and so well done - I loved it. I agree w/Perfect Chemistry and look forward to reading the sequels. Other good angsty mature YA books include Pushing the Limits (Harlequin Teen); Something Like Normal; and The Fault in Our Stars. Catching Jordan and What A Boy Wants are also really good but not as angsty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 4:21:43 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Oh, thank you for reminding me.

If you liked Pushing the Limits, then The Sea of Tranquility would be awesome. Kind of similar, and I 'almost' liked Sea better. And still a bargain right now, before the Trad-pub gets hold of it (which is happening soon.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 4:24:49 PM PST
Bitchie says:
Well now I have to read this one, I loved Pushing the Limits.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 4:27:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012, 4:28:10 PM PST
A Customer says:
Try Sempre (Forever) by JM Darhower. For me, it's practically in a different class than most other YA. Heavier subject matter and very well written.

I'm not sure if these have been mentioned:

Lengths
The Mighty Storm
Thoughtless and Effortless
I second Easy. And for what its worth, Flat-out Love is a great read. I know nothing about the author...someone loaned me the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012, 4:28:59 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
It's really good. PM me. I'll send it to you (but hurry).

Posted on Nov 7, 2012, 4:47:27 PM PST
MOM2JTV says:
It looks like The Sea of Tranquility has been snapped up by the traditional publisher. I went ahead and bought the indie book for $2.99 since it looks like the new one will be $7.99! I hope you guys are right about it--I rarely buy books without reading a sample!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
36 27 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
286 3 days ago
Free Today Third Edition 8355 7 hours ago
Weekend Reading - 22-24 SEP 21 7 hours ago
Biker Romance Part 2 9613 7 hours ago
Boogenhagen, help! 195 7 hours ago
Loan Me Thread V. 7 4439 7 hours ago
H is an alcoholic/addict, or else sick/dying 8 7 hours ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 6684 8 hours ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 8509 8 hours ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 3337 8 hours ago
cassie sinclair's mate, from lora leigh's breed series 346 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  May 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers