Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

h overhears H saying he doesn't love her

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 306 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2012 6:49:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 3:43:18 PM PDT
JJ says:
So I know there are posts about the h overhearing the H insult her and whatnot, but I would like a list of books where the h overhears the H telling someone he doesn't love her....preferably to the other woman. It'd be great if the h feels devastated by the information, and makes the H grovel for her forgiveness. >:] But anything along the line of hearing the H reject her to another person is good.

Anything historical or contemporary would be great. I'm not really into paranormal stuff.

Some examples would be:

A Marine For Christmas- Beth Andrews
The Velvet Promise- Jude Deveraux
When There is Hope- Jane Goodger
Adam's Promise- Julianne MacLean

These are the suggestions from others:

The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain- Abby Green
Never A Gentleman- Eileen Dreyer
Fugitive Bride- Miranda Lee
Romancing Mister Bridgerton- Julia Quinn
His Favorite Mistress-Tracy Anne Warren
Hot On Her Heels- Susan Mallery

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:39:04 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (Harlequin Presents Extra) was a really good one. You do have to read it all the way before you throw it at the wall, but once you get to the end have kleenex. It was a bad scene when he told his crazy sister he didn't love h and she was just a moc to him. This set the entire plot in motion and his OMG moment was good. I also have to lend if you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 8:02:30 PM PDT
Melanie says:
D Arnold, I second that book. I gave it 4.5 stars =)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:16:49 PM PDT
JJ says:
D. Arnold, Thanks so much! The library has the ebook available, and I am going to grab it. :)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:35:04 PM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes series)

There's a pretty intense scene where she is forced (unbeknownst to the H) to watch him bed his mistress and listen to him say some nasty things about her. When she confronts him about it, its even more intense. Very angsty story.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:26:25 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 11:07:10 AM PDT
Michigangirl says:
Fugitive Bride by Miranda Lee. The heroine overhears her husband telling his friend that instead of marrying for love, he should marry for convenience like he did. Thus the heroine finds out that her hubby didn't marry her for love like he convinced her so she left him. She also hid away because she actually realized she might be a wet dishrag where he's concerned and fall back with him despite what she knows. Then 6 months later a her hubby shows up, but says he's not her husband, he's her husband's identical twin brother.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:24:50 PM PDT
Colleen says:
Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgerton Series, Book 4)

In a flashback, the h remembers how the H told his two brothers he'd never marry her. It's awesome, because Penelope confronts him there and is like "...when did I ask you?" It's so amazingly awkward and awesome.
The scene is originally in another book (maybe The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgerton Series, Bk. 2)).

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 1:54:35 PM PDT
JJ says:
tealadytoo, I've read part of Never A Gentleman, but I couldn't get into it. I will have to dive back into it then. :)

Michigangirl, Fugitive Bride sounds perfect. I will look into it :D Thanks!

Colleen, I've read Romancing Mister Bridgerton already. :) It was fantastic. Actually, I've read most of the Bridgerton series.
Love me them Bridgertons haha.

I will edit my post and add your suggestions :D

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:45:12 PM PDT
JJ says:
Looking through my read shelf on Goodreads, I think Adam's Promise by Julianne MacLean also fits the theme.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 7:29:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 9:02:49 PM PDT

Re: Never a Gentleman:

I couldn't really get into it either. It seemed to repeat this cycle throughout the book
1. H hurts/humiliates/demeans h in front of everyone (but he doesn't have a choice, it is his duty to hurt his wife)
2. h is stoic in acceptance of said behavior
3. h confronts someone about some event involving H
4. H says trust me I am not hurting you because I want to, but because I need to. I can't give you details, but it is for your good and the countries good.
5. h just **wuuuvs** (elongate the u sounds and picture the h from twilight mooning over whatever the H's name was) so she forgives him everything, cause he is just the bestest thing ever.
6. Goto 1.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:37:31 AM PDT
B. McClure says:
Hot on Her Heels (Lone Star Sisters, Book 4) by Susan Mallery has this, but not with the OW. He's talking to his half-sister, and trying to convice himself that he doesn't love her, and the h happened to be stopping by to visit and overhears.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:54:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 9:57:38 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
I can see why the h's stoic acceptance of the ill treatment might not appeal to everyone, but I don't quite see it like that description either. For one thing, the H doesn't use the "for your own good" line (though he believes it) . He keeps her in the dark. He believes that if she and everybody else thinks he resents their forced marriage, she won't have value as a pawn to his enemies.

This unfortunately plays right into her low self esteem regarding her sex appeal. She's confident enough in other areas. She puts up with the ill treatment not so much for love (though she does come to love him), but from the practical aspect that after figuring she was pretty much unmarriagable, she ended up with an unwilling groom, with a somewhat studly reputation. She might as well get what she can out of it. Basically sex and children.

It's written believably, and since neither feels that they can reveal their growing affection, it's quite poignant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:22:16 PM PDT
wondercat says:
D. Arnold - Thanks for the Spaniard's Marriage Bargain rec. I'm normally not a huge fan of the HPs because I feel like there's usually not enough groveling or emotional realization of what the Greek/Spanish/Italian/Sheik billionaire puts his h through. This one was different and I was bawling like a baby there for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:29:51 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
This is next on my list to read and after researching the book, I found the same for a lot of the reviews. She wasn't a doormat, but that was just her character/personality. She saw their marraige for what it was. One reviewer said that she accepted that she would not have a husband and family, and since she has to be in a marriage it was more than she had imagined for herself. I said this about another h in a book (Duncan's Bride- DP) were the majority of the reviewers thought she was a doormat to forgive so quickly. The h in the beginning of the book clearly stated exactly what she wanted out of life and when she got that she was happy. This h sounds like the same in Duncan's Bride. She has accepted what she wants in life and if it is any more, then great. If not, no disappointment. I believe that is why this book interests me so much. Not sure what I will do with the H, but I will know when I read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:31:24 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
I had to do a quick reread as well. Wasn't the OMG moment for H just great. It kept going for a few days but he manned up nicely.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 1:23:28 PM PDT
hiker says:
His Favorite Mistress: A Novel (The Mistress Trilogy) they are actually married and she over hears him tell his friend that hes not in love with her... that eventually after the passion dies down they will move on to other people... om does he regret it... she moves out ... and he works to get her back... from what i remember... i really liked this author when i read historicals...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 2:00:11 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
Found His favorite mistress on scribd to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:41:36 PM PDT
JJ says:
I will have to read this, seems like I'll be talking to my Kindle while reading this one. Thanks for the rec!

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:19:29 PM PDT
ashlo says:

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 9:56:30 PM PDT
ashlo says:

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 10:23:58 AM PDT
CMommy says:
Crow's Row

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 11:23:25 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 11:59:36 AM PDT
D. Arnold,
I would love to borrow this Harlequin [[ASIN:B002B9MGU0 The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (Harlequin Presents Extra)
Thanks, m_silva1982@yahoo.com

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 6:47:43 PM PDT
TrishaLouise says:
Crows row: I wanted to kick Camron in the "goods" when Emily over heard him and spider talking about her.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
28 Aug 23, 2016
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
178 Sep 10, 2016
Free Today Third Edition 4297 26 minutes ago
books similar to Zapata's Kulti/ The Wall of Winnipeg and me 120 46 minutes ago
Silhouette Desire - To quote "Touch And Go" - Lets go straight to No.1 2731 1 hour ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 7320 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 5784 1 hour ago
Harlequin Presents - Let's start at the beginning... a very good place to start - Number... 4737 1 hour ago
Let's start at the end...with spoilers 311 1 hour ago
Any REALLY good Regency authors/books? 3 1 hour ago
Looking for rec: H/h are married but one feels like they love the other more 0 2 hours ago
H leaves h for 'her own good' 5 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  105
Total posts:  306
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 55 customers