Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3826-3850 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:26:31 PM PDT
beachbaby says:
Xavier,

Perhaps your definition of self-promotion is different from mine but I consider self-promotion to be when an author posts the title of his book in a discussion. Perhaps, once again that was not your intent.

I did check the dates. This was my initial post in this discussion (notice the date/time);

Your post: May 23, 2012 10:38:08 AM PDT
beachbaby says:
Here is a quote from an author in another forum where self-promotion occurs almost on a daily basis; "....if I was allowed to self-promote, I would point you to an example of such....". While I appreciate that the author didn't name his books, I was able to easily locate them. The rest of his post was relevant to the discussion, but the part I quoted made me think of stealth promotion. Perhaps that wasn't his intent but that was my initial thoughts.

Then you posted a bit later (admitting to self-promoting);

"In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 11:55:43 PM PDT
Xavier Edwards says:
Hello Curmudgeon (and the others who have taken the time to reply to me),

Thanks for the help, I must admit that I overlooked my profile because I came at everything from the publisher route that I forgot I had a public facing profile (and not my author page). I also must have missed some of the finer points in the forums ToS, as I will admit to posting self-promotion posts in discussions that have invited authors to post but are outside of the meet the authors forum. I won't say which post in this thread I resemble, but unless there's someone else out there writing like me, then I've tripped myself up by trying to contribute to another discussion (before this one) and doing everything I could not to self-promote, but did so really amateurishly.

I think that it's probably safest to return to lurking, but I'm glad that I stopped by this thread before many others. It's certainly going to be in the forefront of my mind when I am on GR and other sites."

Which brings us back to my post today which was in response to your post in the Erotica forum;
"In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 5:33:01 AM PDT
Xavier Edwards says:
Hello KLM Reader,

Of the published titles, 'The Special Scent' has the only anal scene in it. Based on the free preview, I believe it should be directly viewable. If not, I can always send you the relevant extract. There is another one coming along the editing process which has more anal (m/f and f/m), and another which is almost all anal, but they're some weeks away from being ready for publishing."

Are you not the author of "The Special Scent"?

What raised my initial radar prior to your post's on 5/23 and 5/27 were these posts on the erotica forum (which I have shortened);

1. Posted on May 22, 2012 11:49:36 PM PDT
Xavier Edwards says:
Mumble, mumble, something about not being allowed to self promote...
If I could point to one of my books, I would point to one where it's treated with the respect it deserves, including the unique approaches needed and the sensations it generates, but at the same time acknowledging that it can be both painful and pleasurable, often in the same instant.

2. "Posted on May 22, 2012 11:52:22 PM PDT
Xavier Edwards says:
It depends on how long a title you're after. Some short stories can avoid the sex until the last 10-20% and, if I was allowed to self-promote, I would point you to an example of such. Others can be intense from the start, but the actual sex doesn't come until the very end."

I get that you say you know that self-promotion isn't allowed but (IMO) when an author even mentions this ("if I was allowed to self-promote..."), it is almost like an invitation for the curious to seek (and might I add, your works are easily found).

My definition of self-promotion seems different than your definition. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Oh, and just so you know, the reason I didn't initially post who you were on 5/23 was because you hadn't yet mentioned the title of one of your books.

Just because on OP says "authors welcome" (meaning self-promotion) they aren't. Authors are only allowed to self-promote in the Meet Our Authors (MOA) forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:25:37 PM PDT
kelster says:
AWESOME LG!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:13:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 3:15:16 PM PDT
:). Too bad there is no differentiation between "valid posts" and those that just seem threatening to people who are doing the WRONG thing?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:09:36 PM PDT
I wonder if there's a prize for most down votes in a thread?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:08:37 PM PDT
I'm sure someone has mentioned this to you before, but if you don't click on "Reply to this post" it's difficult to figure out what you're talking about.

Which in your case is a blessing. So forget I said anything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:06:01 PM PDT
I agree Anna. The ones with integrity probably aren't down-voting. Wow, what a huge number of down-votes in such a short amount of time? I wonder if it is a Zon record? That was TOO fast.

Posted on May 27, 2012 3:05:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 3, 2012 11:35:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 3:02:05 PM PDT
I saw all the down votes and thought the same thing. It means we are doing a good job.

I'd be willing to bet none of the authors who market their books within Amazon's TOS are doing any down voting. They may even up vote, if they are reading this thread, since authors who cheat can tarnish all authors in the eyes of some readers.

Same way I cringe when I hear about teachers behaving badly.

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:58:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 3:00:24 PM PDT
There appears to be a very LARGE contingent of unhappy BBAs down-voting posts all of a sudden. Oh my; feeling threatened??? I imagine a bunch of BBAs going through their reviews right now.

ETA: look through the posts, starting with LG's post about how to properly report. What? All of a sudden there are "16" people in the space of a very short time, voting on posts? Oh my, there appears to be some a55-hattery afoot. ;).

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:50:50 PM PDT
Oh yeah! Those of you who have been on this thread from the beginning (I am a n00b) probably realize how much attention this thread has been getting lately. What a lovely thing. I have seen this thread mentioned outside of this site, and kind of have to chuckle when people criticize the effort. Guilty much? Wonderful job BBA regulars; those of us who aren't regulars, really appreciate the efforts.

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:41:51 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
Great work LG.

**Pats her on the back whilst flipping Jim Ryan the bird**

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:40:24 PM PDT
Sadly, you don't. Think, that is.

And didn't your sister tell you to stay out of this thread? Very bad for your mental health.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:33:19 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
OOoh....You sound so very familiar (duh).

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:32:14 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:29:31 PM PDT
So are we, but not at the same thing.

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:28:17 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:26:07 PM PDT
Can you post the email, please?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:25:46 PM PDT
Winter, you are sooooooooooooo creative!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:24:58 PM PDT
>>Anyway, I wish I had the time to spend trolling Amazon, looking for r****** who have the nerve to break the rules.<<

You might want to delete that word that starts with r in your post. It's a nasty thing to say about anyone.

>>I wanted to be a cop when I was younger, but they said I wasn't smart enough, and too overweight for the NYPD. Can you believe it!<

Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:22:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 2:56:34 PM PDT
Winter says:
Except they lack a functioning conscience so I am going with 'petulance'.

Posted on May 27, 2012 2:20:45 PM PDT
Iola says:
Gosh, the DVF's have been working overtime since LG's post. Guilty consciences?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:18:53 PM PDT
Winter says:
"These smart guys writing books and trying to make a living off people escaping from the real world just make me sick."

If BBAs were smart, they would spend their time writing better books that sell, learning marketing, and preserving their reputation for integrity. Instead, they spend their time trying to 'make a living off people' by lying about the products they sell (e.g., writing fake endorsements).

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:09:55 PM PDT
Nice work, LG!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:08:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 2:09:18 PM PDT
Excellent - maybe you can find some time to explain to the kids how breaking the rules/faking it in the workplace is all good...could come in handy if they decide to turn pro.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 2:05:51 PM PDT
Did you by any chance mention our dear extraplanetary friend?
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
28 5 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
160 Jul 18, 2016
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 6 2870 12 minutes ago
Please help, I need the Title and Authors Name - Cheating Book 3 21 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #5 5906 23 minutes ago
It's starting up again: Christmas flavors in romance series 0 25 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 7733 39 minutes ago
Looking for m/f and m/m authors who write long books... 30 1 hour ago
The 2nd Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 5322 1 hour ago
PET PEEVES! Things that make you go Argghhhhhhh! AUTHORS: please kindly note 860 1 hour ago
Shifters,Vampires, the Fae and more.. Paranormal Romances that You like best! 21 2 hours ago
Dear Book Buying Confessional (and other topics) part 2 1187 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  338
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions