Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

The RPG you never tell people you actually like

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 238 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 18, 2009, 8:55:18 AM PST
Blueblur1984 says:
@ Ben and Mark

I loved earthbound and vandal hearts and am not at all ashamed to admit it. I think they were some of the best games ever made.

Posted on Dec 22, 2009, 11:51:44 PM PST
M. says:
The first Baulder's Gate game for the PS2. I always get one of two reactions: "What the heck is that?" or "Ew! A D&D VIDEO GAME?!"

Posted on Dec 23, 2009, 1:09:50 AM PST
J. RUIZ says:
In my case that would be Digimon World 2 for PS1, yeah everyone says it's dull and terribly long but hell I enjoyed it a lot!!!

Posted on Jan 30, 2010, 3:06:30 PM PST
some of the ones i like and get WTF reactions to are

Pokemon (Im 23 in a little over a week im going to be 24..... i even got ranger for gods sake!! also one of my favs i keep coming back to it i cant seem to help my self)
Final Fantasy 10-2 (i loved it still do.... so sue me)
Phantom Brave (It IS rilly good i prefer it to disgea)
Inu Yasha (both secretof the cursed mask and secret of the divine jewel)
Ever Grace (laf at me i know you want to...)
Jade Cocoon Story of the Tamamayu (no one i know has ever even HEARD of this game....)
Lunar silver star, Legend, and Dragon song (Gona Get the PSP one too...)
Digimon World..... 1-3 Disk A card one Rumble areina 1&2 (sad i Know)
Monster Rancher.....

*Sigh* i have a long list and if i had the rest of my games near me i would probly name more....

Posted on Jan 31, 2010, 7:12:01 PM PST
Man, FFX-2 was a good game, and this is coming from a guy who despised FFX. I'm not guilty at all about liking FFX-2 as a game. If I liked the story, then I'd be guilty, but that's because the story is a piece of trash. As are the characters. And the dialogue. And everything else about the game that isn't the gameplay.

It was basically just Final Fantasy style sidequests. That's what it was. Throw in the job system and the best combat system a more or less traditional Final Fantasy title's ever had, and you have a recipe for a good game. Even if everything else about it makes me die a little. Oh, and the minigames were godawful. They made the CPR minigame in VII look fun.

I don't think there's a single RPG I like that I'm sorry for. I will basically fight anybody to the death about any game that I like.

Okay, that's not true. I will freely admit that Ehrgeiz is kind of sucky game, and I like it despite that. But I'm not ashamed of it at all.

For gaming opinions I have that everybody seems to lambaste:

CHRONO CROSS WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CHRONO TRIGGER. Okay, I haven't actually managed to beat either (I'm one of the worst people ever at actually finishing games I like), but the story, character development, dialogue, system, everything was better so far as I'm concerned. I understand that Chrono Cross made mistakes, and that Chrono Trigger is supposed to be this absurd classic (which I only discovered well after the fact due to being a Sega guy) of RPGs, but I really liked Chrono Cross, and I've still never managed to get into Trigger properly. It doesn't hurt either that Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

@Robespierre: you're insane. Eternal Poison is awful. I mean, I can respect your tenacity to go at games that are underappreciated, but GOD, that game sucked part of my soul away. I am one day going to beat Olifen's storyline, and he's not going to die a horrible, bloody death, and I am going to cry. CRY.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010, 11:36:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2010, 11:37:24 PM PST
B. McLain says:
Pokemon... God I told one of my friends and nearly got laughed out the door. LOL But it's just a good game. Of course I would point out I liked it well before the cartoon, card game, Monopoly Pokemon edition and all the other crap that came with it. Oh and Jade Cocoon. That game rocked too. LOL

Posted on Feb 3, 2010, 12:54:04 AM PST
Ya I'v played pokemon befor i even knew there was a show mutch less cards... and i dident even have a game boy or the game until about 2years later.... My friends found out i was rilly good at figuring out how to defeat the eleat 4 with there suck ass pokemon, before i even knew what i was playing @.@

Posted on Feb 3, 2010, 12:24:08 PM PST
Azure Dreams for PS1. It is terrible and boring but I still play it to this day....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2010, 1:26:49 PM PST
Same here! I was going to post on this threat how much I liked that game, but seeing as you already mentioned it I'll just second your post. :)

Posted on Feb 5, 2010, 3:58:37 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Ar Tonelico 2 and Cross Edge

Posted on Feb 6, 2010, 10:11:15 AM PST
J. Kares says:
for me it would be breath of fire 1 and 2. ive played alot of games i wouldnt be caught playing in front of people like secrets of the stars, secret of mana, ff 7, super mario RPG, and alot others. I know these r all snes games but to tell the truth i just bought most of these and im really gonna be embarassed if anyone happens to be with me when i get them

Posted on Feb 6, 2010, 10:17:48 AM PST
Unlimited Saga. I played through all 7 quests, over 100 hours. Considered a terrible game, until you actually learn how to play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2010, 4:27:06 PM PST
You seem not to realize everything you've listed is actually moderately to highly popular.

...or maybe you just get embarrassed by people knowing you play video games that aren't particularly new. I dunno.

Posted on Feb 7, 2010, 10:12:58 PM PST
i got azure dreams over ten years ago as a birthday gift and haven't personally met anyone who has played it. i wouldn't call that moderately/highly popular.....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2010, 4:21:45 PM PST
Joseph says:
FFIII was actually FFVI on this side of the pond : )

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2010, 11:54:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2010, 11:54:43 PM PST
I was referring specifically to J. Kares's list, actually. Azure dreams I've never heard of.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010, 12:24:50 AM PST
oh, you mean computer role playing games. Ah, where you dont, you know, role play.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010, 10:25:53 AM PST
I can always tell when someone didn't get very far in FFX-2 by the way they react to it. The game actually has a fairly dark plot later in and the last confrontation is interesting and well done enough to rival the encounter with Sin in FFX. As far as embarassing titles...hmmm. Not really an "RPG" but "Little King's Story" on the Wii or the much hated Infinite Undiscovery on the XBOX360 are favs of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010, 11:45:26 AM PST
I played Azure Dreams. It was pretty neat, but I didn't have the patience for it back then. And it was ridiculously difficult.

I remember hearing about Jade Cocoon and really wanting to play it... but I never did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2010, 1:10:25 PM PST
I have to agree with E. Strachan, I really like the Ar Tonelico series and Cross Edge. Throw the first Jade Cocoon in there too.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010, 7:18:47 PM PST
Chuckie says:
I love RPG's and I will not appoligize or feel ashamed for any of the ones I like.

On the other hand, I may get some hate from it but I'm not ashamed or afraid to say that Final Fantasy 8 is one of the worst games of all time. There is nothing good about that game and those who defend it are deluded.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010, 2:09:47 PM PST
copperbunny says:
Chocobo Dungeon1 or 2, I can't remember which. It was really frustrating, but I loved the fact that you could randomly get great armor(saddles) and weapons. You could level up Chocobo, and you could even upgrade your armor in "town"

Posted on Feb 10, 2010, 3:47:24 PM PST
R. Balyon says:
I really enjoyed Gladius. The story was terrible and the gameplay wasn't that great, but I really got sucked deep into the characters I developed and into building my school. It also got me really interested in the gladiator equipment of the time. This game had all the makings and all the possibilities for a sequel that could have been a really great game.

Posted on Feb 12, 2010, 6:21:11 AM PST
J. Niles says:
Kindom Hearts, great game but telling people that have never played it that i played a game with disney charaters. They just dont understand...

Posted on Feb 12, 2010, 11:57:54 AM PST
T. Hughes says:
Ive never been embarrassed to say I've played a game, frustrated with poor quality games, but never embarrassed. If I play a game until completion chances are I've recommended it to someone. That includes the Leisure Suit Larry games, Zork and all of the old Infocom text adventure games (Zork zero ROCKED! as did Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and yes Im that old), Bard's Tale on the C-64 (miss making dungeon maps on graph paper), the entire FF series sans X-2, 10 hours into it I could not take it anymore, Anarchy Online.... Xenosaga....

Nope I cant think of one game.

Except world of warcraft. I was a Blizzard wh*re for a bit there. I'm better now though.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  238
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers