Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

I need a new "Oblivion" type game for PC; any suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 116 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2010, 11:31:58 AM PST
Wild Lilly says:
Hi all;
I am not a "gamer" per se, but after being disabled in a car accident was introduced first to Morrowind, then to Oblivion and have had many hours of entertainment and distraction from pain from them. However, after waiting and waiting for Bethesda to put out a new game for me, I don't want to wait anymore and I truly have plumbed both games to their depth. Graphics is crucially important to me (I was an artist before the accident) and I really like to be able to choose and personalize my character as much as possible; I also strongly prefer a mediaevel/fantasy type environment & story (no modern war stuff please). I have been searching Amazon and elsewhere, but don't see anything that really seems like it would fit my needs. I am considering Fable, Gothic, or possibly Dragon Age but can't really tell enough from reviews etc if they would be a huge disappointment or what they would be like. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thankyou;
Wild Lilly

Posted on Nov 11, 2010, 2:32:38 PM PST
J. says:
Dragon Age: Origins sounds like it might fit best. Fable has moved along into a sort of industrial revolution setting, and has only limited RPG elements. You do get to customize your character heavily but not in a significant, meaningful way - more aesthetics than anything. Gothic is... well, the most recent one, ArcaniA, is just not any good. You can see it's reviews all over the internet for more info on that, but if depth is what you're after, Gothic 4 does not have it.

The only requirement that Dragon Age might not meet is graphics. Don't get me wrong - they are NOT bad. They simply are not photo-realistic, as seems to be the rage now days. As an artist you may actually appreciate DA:O's particular graphical and aesthetic stylings more than others. Check screenshots before taking the dive. Beyond that - the world is far more developed than most others (I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan myself, but DA:O manages to have more significant history packed into 1 game than TES has across 4. This is not a knock on TES, which has a wealth of lore - it's an endorsement of DA).

As far as personalizing your character, the "Origins" in Dragon Age Origins refers to just that - there are six separate origin stories. The one you choose can have a significant, game-altering impact. Appearance customization isn't as good, unless you dive into the modding community, which is flourishing. And skill advancement is, while not quite as deep as TES, far more complex than Fable or Gothic. It's basically a modified take on the D&D Feats and Perks system - which would be expected from a game that is the 'spiritual' successor to the most successful AD&D CRPG of all time, Baldur's Gate II.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010, 5:12:29 PM PST
A. C. Dow says:
I would have to agree with perdisis and say that the best fit for you would most likely be Dragon Age: Origins. There are actually more appearance customization then Morrowind and I would say it match's oblivion. I think that you would find it a great deal of fun.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010, 8:40:00 PM PST
Public Enemy says:
Gothica 3 or 4.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010, 8:51:07 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2010, 8:51:22 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 11, 2010, 8:58:54 PM PST
I loved playing Oblivion and highly recommend Dragon Age.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010, 3:49:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2010, 3:51:26 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I really loved Dragon Age and Oblivion. Just know DA: O is a lot more story driven where Oblivion is more of an open world and the story just kind of takes a back seat. Not saying there isn't anything to see, do or explore outside the main quest of DA, it's just done differently.

You can change the game world depending on your choices adding replay. I think my first game took me about 70 hours and I still haven't seen everything. DA is very old school RPG in theme, almost Lord of the Rings like with Elves, Dwarves and humans.

Also if you love Oblivion so much but haven't played Shivering Isle, you're missing out. Great expansion!

Posted on Nov 12, 2010, 7:01:07 AM PST
J. Worden says:
I agree with most of the posters, Dragon age is a fun game. I also reccomend Sacred 2 as I love that game :)

Posted on Nov 12, 2010, 7:07:41 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Dragon Age is good. Also, have you tried Fallout 3? It's by Bethesda and is incredibly similar to Oblivion in how you play. It's doesn't have a fantasy setting though...it's post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. It is, however, one of the finest games ever made.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010, 9:42:32 AM PST
Wild Lilly says:
Hi All;
Thank you so much for your input and suggestions. I am not a knowledgable player, but have gotten great benefit from Morrowind and Oblivion (and all expansion packs and lots of modding things my son downloaded for me). I bet Fallout 3 is wonderful graphics etc as I think Bethesda is great, but modern settings are just not escapist enough to really work for me. I wish they would just get on with giving us more Elder Scrolls... maybe something in Valenwood? Anyone know if that is likely? In the meantime, I will follow the recommendations recieved here and try Dragon Age and maybe Gothic or Sacred 2 after that.
Thank you all so much;
Wild Lilly

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010, 3:13:03 PM PST
J. says:
There have been some hints and speculations running around the internet for a few years now, including the registration of domain names, that the next Elder Scrolls game is likely to be set in Skyrim.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010, 10:30:32 AM PST
Wild Lilly says:
That would be ok too, fine as long as it continues the story in full Bethesda fashion, though I was hoping for tree houses, etc... any rumours on timing? I had heard Jan 2010 and have now pretty much given up... thanks
Wild Lilly

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 10:31:34 AM PST
Wild Lilly says:
PS No one has replied re: Fable.. is it not recommended?Why?
WL

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 10:32:15 AM PST
Wild Lilly says:
PS No one has replied re: Fable.. is it not recommended?Why?
WL

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 4:35:14 PM PST
B. Terry says:
I've played all of the Fable games, and they have a great, whimsical, charming atmosphere. Compared to the Elderscrolls games, they are less free and open. You go from area to area, and some areas do not unlock until you get far enough in the story, etc. There is less lore to the setting also. You can buy houses, redecorate, and even get married and have kids (in 2 & 3), so if you'd like you can do some playing that isn't tied straight to the main story. The people feel more alive in Fable than in especially Morrowind. The Elderscrolls games feel much more like you are exploring and discovering things, though. Especially with Morrowind, I liked how you could do things that felt like maybe they "broke" the game, or were unpredicted by the game designers, it felt like you weren't stuck on a track they made for you.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 7:12:54 PM PST
Wild Lilly says:
Thanks for the info; I did think Fable looked intriguing... and I do like the housekeeping aspect, it was one thing I thought was inferior in Oblivion to Morrowind; that you could not move objects around easily and the "Real Estate" choices were so limited... aside from that, the visuals in Oblivion are so wonderful and immersive that I can't complain about anything.
It does seem that Fable II might not be available for PC.. or is that only in Canada? Do you recommend starting with Fable 1 or diving right in to Fable 3?
Thanks;
Wild Lilly

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 9:14:18 PM PST
Dave says:
Fable II has not been released for the PC and (to the best of my knowledge) there aren't plans to release it for the PC. Fable III is out now for the Xbox 360 and they do plan to release it for the PC, but I haven't seen any official release dates yet. When it comes out I think you would be fine jumping straight into Fable III. I've not played the second or third games yet, but my understanding is that the stories are somewhat linked, but not to such an extent that you need to play one to understand what's happening in the other.

With regard to the first Fable: it is available for the PC, but at this point the graphics might seem a bit dated to someone who's played games like Oblivion. I played it on the PC 3-4 years ago and found it quite enjoyable, but it was considered a little dated even then.

I would suggest getting the Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition that was just released recently and enjoy that for awhile. Hopefully by the time you finish with it you'll be able to pick up a copy of Fable III for the PC.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 9:20:15 PM PST
Wild Lilly says:
Thankyou, for the detailed info Dave. Dragon Age Origins does seem to be the consensus. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Wild Lilly

Posted on Nov 13, 2010, 11:31:13 PM PST
I'll go out on a limb and suggest World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings Online. Maybe they are games you have considered and rejected for whatever reason, but I can't think of a single player game that will give you the sheer depth of gameplay as those games. Graphics and character customization are important to you, so LoTRO would have the upper hand in that respect. It's just a really beautiful game and drops you right in Tolkein's Middle Earth. WoW is a little less complex, graphics and character wise but there is more than enough polish and over a decade of lore to provide entertainment. I think the social aspects could be beneficial as well. My 2 cents.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010, 11:30:54 AM PST
Brian H says:
Dragon Age Origins is a great game, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. However I do think you may want to think twice about Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. They are by Bethesda, on the same Gamebyro Engine as Oblivion and offer SCADS of gameplay hours. Both Fallout games are incredibly massive, and while not set in the same type of "fantasy" setting (ie an alternate universe similiar to ours but looking somewhat like our past), they are set in a alternate future universe similiar to ours but one that split off in approximately the fifties. For games of the caliber of Fallout it's a mistake to rigidly set a criteria without giving them a try.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010, 12:19:38 AM PST
I also highly recommend Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. I'm about halfway through New Vegas now and having a blast. I think you will enjoy it too, especially if you like Oblivion (which I loved as well).

Posted on Nov 15, 2010, 2:10:49 PM PST
J. says:
I'm a huge fan of Elder Scrolls as I said, and the original Fallout 1 &2. Couldn't stand anything about Fallout 3. New Vegas was a bit better. Slow pacing, extremely repetitive. And in spite of lots of character development options, certain perks and skills are really required. You'll have a much harder go of it if you ignore 'necessary' skills, unlike an Elder Scrolls game. And if you really don't like modern settings, no matter how much gameplay there is, Fallout will not do it for you. It has a huge fanbase though and people always want others to like what they like. Just my opinion though.

As for Fable - the first Fable is available on the PC and is a "Pure" fantasy setting. While there's lots of role-playing depth, it comes off like an RPG facade layed on top of an action game. It's linear, and in spite of moral choices that effect your appearance and how people react to you, it really won't effect how the game plays out. Fable II is not available on the PC, and likely never will be. It also starts a progression into an industrial revolution (Guns play a larger part) that comes to full fruition in Fable III, where the "Fantasy" feel has been almost fully displaced by a Victorian / Industrial Revolution vibe.

You're seeing a lot of people, myself included, recommend DA:O because it's a pure, throw-back fantasy RPG (Dark Fantasy, though), not to mention the Ultimate Edition, with about $140 worth of content, was just released, and Dragon Age 2 is just around the corner (March 2011).

Posted on Nov 15, 2010, 7:22:33 PM PST
Wild Lilly says:
Hi All;
Again, thank you for all your input. I do not have wide gaming experience, so I appreciate all the advice. Especially thanks to Perdisis; your info is clear and insightful.
Though I have loved the Bethesda products Morrowind and Oblivion, part of why I use these games is to deal with a chronic pain and central nervous system disorder caused by a car accident, in which pain can be triggered or worsened by repetitive noises or certain other stimuli, including gunfire, so I think that Fallout and other games with a modern war type setting are just out. I spend a certain amount of time doing alchemy, picking flowers, decorating houses and playing with costuming etc as well as going through the stories and subplots; doing monster fighting is ok and even theraputic in terms of stress relief at times, but a full on war theme is not going to fill my needs. I appreciate the suggestions from everyone, though.
I have wondered about online games, but have held back partly because I live in the boonies and have only dial up, and also because I don't know if I would have the necessarky skills. High speed is apparently coming our way in the next few months, so I am interested in feedback as to how difficult on line Lord of the Rings might be...
In the meantime, it's looking like DragonAge Origins is getting the most recommendations so I'll probably go there with Fable 1 and the Gothic series as backups or to try later (if Bethesda doesn't just get on with it and give us another Elder Scrolls!)
Thank you all again;
Wild Lilly
PS: Is there a significant difference in the Ultimate DragonAge version to make it worth purchasing compared to other versions?

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 2:18:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010, 2:26:02 AM PST
J. says:
Thank you for the compliment!

And a note: My negative comments about Fallout are just my personal opinion. I know they are great games if the style fits you. Just don't want to start any unnecessary arguments in a thread that clearly doesn't need them.

And I'll chime in again here on another game; I play Lord of the Rings Online myself. Honestly, I think it's probably a -great- fit for you given what you've said. Without high-speed, it's out of the question, but once you get broadband, definitely worth looking into. Turbine has provided an absolutely stunning amount of things to do without ever going anywhere near the raids or PvP of "endgame." There's an extensive and very useful crafting system - if you like collecting materials, it can keep you entertained for a long time just crafting. The crafted items tend to be more useful than in other games, or at least a good deal of them. If you are musically inclined, it's the only MMO I know of with a fully developed music system that will allow you to play or even compose your own music - I've walked through town and heard people playing everything from Mozart to the Rolling Stones. There's a "Deed" or achievment system in place that will reward you for finding locations, achieving milestones, killing a certain type of enemy, etc. Some people find spending their time grinding out achievments boring, but if you're the type who enjoys carefree, casual gaming that you can get lost in, Lord of the Rings Online offers more on that front than any other MMO I've ever played.

Edit to answer question: Dragon Age Ultimate includes several seperate 'products.' Dragon Age: Origins is the original game. The version of this you get is identical in both packages. Dragon Age: Awakening is the retail expansion, like Shivering Isles was for Oblivion. Ultimate also includes 7 (or 8, not certain) "Downloadable Content" packs - each of which cost between $5-10 individually on the Bioware website. So, while there is no specific gameplay difference between the original retail releases and the Ultimate edition, you are basically just getting an "All-In-One" package of all available content with the Ultimate.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010, 2:39:05 AM PST
M. DELCID says:
I would reccomend 2

1.Fallout 3
Is almost like oblivion but with guns and modern day apocalyptic setting, fun if you enjoy those types and make sure you get the Game of the Year edition so you can get all the DLCs it has for it.

2.The Witcher Enhanced Edition
I enjoyed this RPG, it kept me busy for weeks, it's pretty straight forward. This one is more of a Dragon Age type.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers