Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

World of Darkness -- your views

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 13, 2009, 7:21:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2009, 7:25:01 PM PDT
K. T. Ong says:
Hi. I've tried some pencil-and-paper role-playing before and very recently I stumbled across The World of Darkness role-playing game by White Wolf. Are any of you familiar with this title, and if so how about sharing your views of it -- what you liked or didn't like about it, which parts particularly impressed you, etc? Just want to know. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2009, 2:09:38 PM PDT
It's an alright system. I really preferred WoD when it was Vampire the Masquerade, Demon the Fallen, etc. If you like the d20 system, you might want to check out Monte Cook's World of Darkness....different story, different mechanics, but definitely a twist. I will warn you, though...the new WoD has a core book and supplements that allow you to make supernatural characters...and they can cost a lot if you're wanting variety.

Posted on Jul 14, 2009, 5:21:42 PM PDT
Wraith Lord says:
Buy All Flesh Must be eaten or Buffy or Army of Darkness, the White Wolf stuff is too convoluted especially with combat. The Unisystem is far superior.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009, 9:51:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2009, 9:52:21 AM PDT
K. T. Ong says:
I've read that in the new WoD the combat system has been more simplified, and they've also standardised the rules so that they would apply to all of the different types of game creatures you can play. A pity they discontinued Wraith: The Oblivion. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009, 9:28:55 AM PST
I've only played a little bit of WoD but have found it very fun. It is definitely an interesting game to play and allows for some fun times if you allow a mixed group.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009, 10:02:09 AM PST
My main issue w/ WoD is that big battles get so bogged down and sometimes a little bit boring. I love the social role playing in the system though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009, 3:34:10 PM PST
J. Burgos says:
Hi K.T., yes, the new combat system is much more streamlined, basically you resolve combat in just one dice roll, everything is built around dice pools, you add all your bonuses, then subtract modifiers, roll your dicepool with a target # of 8 or higher! I *much* prefer it to the old clunky WoD system, which was not only confusing, but awkward and resulted in more botches the higher the dice pool was (1's take away from sucessess).

Im currently running Changeling the Lost, its excellent. The newest release is Geist: the Sin Eaters, which is a bit like the old Wraith, but much better because you actually exist in the human world and not the deadlands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009, 3:35:06 PM PST
J. Burgos says:
Well, new WOD is really not set up for big scale combat, its more of a personal scale of roll playing and combat. Its *not* DnD.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009, 7:11:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2009, 7:18:14 AM PST
indeed you can't play WoD like DnD. But if you play it like WoD...

Seriously i've never had more in depth and down right emotional gaming experiences as some of the games i've played with the white wolf stuff.

Granted i haven't really played much of the new world of dark ness stuff, but i've bought most of it and love it.

One of the most important things i can emphasize about vampire and changeling in particular is that between the hunger of the vampire, and the need for the changelings to harvest human emotions, you have a mechanic that actually makes the players go out and interact with your game world on a regular basis.
Use that. Screw with their food supply, and watch them want to change the the game and manipulate the NPC's proactively rather than sitting back and waiting for the you to drop the next plot line in thier lap. Instead of having to lead them around by the nose they will plot and scheme how to expand thier territory, or catch the person poaching off thier herd. On top of all that the modern setting, particularly if it's a city everyone is familiar with, makes em feel free to improvise.

Thats why the WoD games work, if they're working right. It's a lot different than DnD to be sure (which i also love and play), and you need serious, mature, players more interested in story and character development, who understand combat is supposed to be rare, and scary.

Posted on Dec 17, 2009, 11:35:32 PM PST
B says:
New World of Darkness is great if you want a modern horror game. My favorite new WoD games are Hunter: the Vigil and Changeling: the Lost. The new Mage is also excellent. Personally, I think that new WoD and DnD are the best RPGs to start with if you are new to roleplaying. They represent totally different styles of games and settings. DnD is more of a game in the traditional sense and DnD 4th edition is even more focused on the combat aspects of the game (while previous versions of DnD have provisions for games with significant noncombat elements, in reality most people played it as a dungeon hack tactical combat game anyway, so 4th ed is really just focusing on the part of the game most people already focused on). WoD is more of a ROLEplaying game (not ROLLplaying) that emphasizes STORYTELLING more than tactics. Because the focus is meant to be on story as opposed to strategy, WoD has one of the simplest easiest rule systems of any game. A bit less to learn than DnD actually. Personally, I feel White Wolf is hands down the best rpg company and Exalted is their best game. But Exalted is not necessarily the best game for new groups or new storytellers.

Posted on Dec 18, 2009, 7:46:58 AM PST
P says:
the old white wolf vampire the masquerade was the best story, the system is good,allows more interaction

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010, 12:23:08 PM PDT
Totally agree with Brian that White Wolf is the best RPG company and that Exalted is their best game.

The new World of Darkness stuff is fantastic in its thematic elements and a little light in the mechanical department. Their fluff IS their crunch, if you can understand that. It's all about understanding what kind of game you're playing. That's more important than the rules mechanics. I personally would have liked to have seen the mechanics be on par with Exalted. As they are now, I think that too much is left up to Storyteller arbitration. I want a rules system that accurately portrays the actions. The new WoD rules can pass in this department, but just barely.

In fact, sometimes I've had to tell my players to do more things that require rolls because if we just sit around for 3 hours without rolling dice, then it starts to feel like we're just a bunch of 30-somethings playing pretend. Not cool that.

Posted on Jun 3, 2010, 12:52:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2010, 12:53:52 PM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
I wasn't enchanted with the "new" World of Darkness, but I very much enjoyed the classic WoD games, especially Werewolf and Mage. And our group was all about the roleplay, not so much on the combat. (Our very best Changeling session involved no dice rolls for the last three hours of the session!)

Still, I do love White Wolf's current game, SCION. That's a ton of fun.

Posted on Mar 19, 2011, 3:52:32 PM PDT
Old WoD rocked. New WoD ain't bad. Best part of WoD is that they allow the rules to be open ended. No actual 'spells' like other role playing games... just levels, i.e. dots. ... The folks at White Wolf did do their homework since they usually work in some real world history, mythology or literary history in to all of it... Old WoD limited them since it was too much Christian theme, so they blew that world up basically. New WoD is just a generic redo to sell more. The thing with all of it is the books are all overpriced. I used to collect them a lot back in college in the 1990s but stopped playing after college...

The Storyteller system White Wolf uses is very slow. If you like faster action games, and cheaper books as they are paperback, look at http://www.palladiumbooks.com - Rifts is an awesome world. Palladium does not have the level of literary depth WoD does though... Do look at the Monte Cook book someone else above mentioned.

What I liked doing in the old days was mixing and matching stuff from various systems when I was Gamemaster/Storyteller. 5 dots system equates to roughly one dot being 20% in percentile games since 5 is usually the best you get, with more then 5 dots being supernatural godly levels... 5x20=100, so take that and go with it.

When I did conversions to Palladium I usually used 1 dot = 1d6 in case of combat, etc. If conversion was to 20 sided one dot = 4 since 5 is high level, so 20/5=4... so you can use that to mix and match to d20 and palladium ok.... just think of aggrovated damage as health points and normal sdc as normal health... so you can't kill a vampire with normal weapons, but if it does agro damage, it'll damage the hp. I usually made the sdc equal the amount of normal health with dots using above rules, and then hp damage was same as agro damage and every creature converted from wod would have roughly same amount of hp as they had in sdc, so sdc comes off first, then hp damage... kill off all hp to get to incapacitated. Kill off couble the hp to get to "dead"...

Posted on Mar 25, 2011, 5:57:13 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
To a degree, it depends on your gaming group. World of Darkness works well with a mature group of players who favor roleplaying and storytelling over action-adventure and detailed mechanics. If your gang just wants to "kick around for an evening and kill some bad guys," it's not the best choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011, 8:56:40 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Most definitely, although there are certain modules within WoD that can accomodate that to a lesser degree, or so.

Actually, I really liked World of Darkness, that which I played of it, but I felt like the different creature break-downs could be hit or miss.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012, 4:09:52 AM PST
Kthulhu says:
White Wolf recently released a 20th Anniversary Edition of Vampire: The Masquerade which is excellent, and a 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf: The Apocalypse is scheduled for this year, with the possiblility of Mage coming in 2013.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jul 13, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.