Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New Science Fiction Series on TV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 289 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011, 6:05:14 PM PDT
Fuzzy says:
Siffy, I like it. The channel has gone to crap, not sure what happened to them.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011, 8:46:17 PM PDT
They got a new boss who doesn't like science fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011, 2:09:15 AM PDT
M. Helsdon says:
Bob,

"I always like looking at the original sources, rather than the watered down interpretations we get from the media."

And CERN is about to attempt to rerun the experiment using a different time structure of the beam to Gran Sasso.

Their method of determining start and stop times for the earlier tests looks very iffy. Hopefully they've tightened up the experiment this time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15471118

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 10:27:36 AM PDT
Thanks, MH! It's good that they are going to try a different time measurement method.

But, Dr. Bertolucci sounds like he's up on a high horse with his comments like-> ""If they [Michelson-Morley] had interpreted it using classical, Newtonian theory they would never have published." Sounds a bit sour grape-ish to me.

If it was me, I would have them stick a tower with a laser beam on it so that it could be seen at the other station and try using the exact same experimental method to see if the time measurements are truly off. I don't have much confidence that their 'new' test will be that much different. Anyway, they're supposed to be much smarter than me, so what do I know?!!

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 11:51:55 AM PDT
Poor RC - He's glued to the Sci Fi channel now, since he thought the other grumbler called it Stiffy instead of Siffy ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011, 12:57:41 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"Poor RC - He's glued to the Sci Fi channel now, since he thought the other grumbler called it Stiffy instead of Siffy ..."

LOL. Thanks for demonstrating your amazing reading comprehension deficits again: I was the one that called it "Siffy" to begin with. And if you really wanted to run with the gay innuendo thing (again), why didn't you comment on my comment that I ONLY WATCH THE PRO WRESTLING? Mmmmm, all those oiled up beefy MMMMMMEN! :D

D'uh?

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 1:34:35 PM PDT
Though the Syfy channel has lots of dumb stuff, I actually like Warehouse 13 and Alphas. Also, Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files is sort of like a strange Mythbusters where they at least attempt to reproduce various viral alien/ghost/UFO videos. Some of those are fun to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011, 2:04:39 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
I kinda like Warehouse 13, too, but I didn't get into Alphas after watching the first three or four episodes. Fact or Faked is kinda fun, too.

And I will actually watch any mega-fauna vs ultra-beastie movie, provided there's nothing better on. What can I say? I'm a connoisseur of the bad, nonsensical and shlocky... why else would I get such a kick out of Marilyn? LOL

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 6:32:45 PM PDT
Yeah, well, Alphas is like a poor man's X-Men, but I kind of like some of the characters.

Speaking of X-Men, I finally saw X-Men: First Class. I had skipped going to the movies to see iut as the previews weren't too inspiring. But, it was MUCH MUCH BETTER than I expected. Well worth seeing if you were like me and missed it.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011, 8:57:14 PM PDT
I'll watch wrestling on Siffy when they put them in a Weightless Wonder airplane.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011, 4:43:17 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
I guess Alphas reminded me a little too much of Heroes, which I just could not get into. (The Korean guy and, later, George Takei speaking really bad Japanese made it far too painful.)

I put off watching the new X-Men until a couple of weeks ago, for pretty much the same reason. Plus I hate prequels in general. (It's basically how you continue to milk a franchise when you've written yourself out at the other end, no? LOL) Then it came down to a weekend when I'd seen everything I wanted to in the local Blockbuster.... Rented it and Transformers 3. LOL.

(Sailor, how about Wonder Woman's invisible plane instead?! :P )

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 9:34:46 AM PDT
I'd go for weightless women mud wrestling!!

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 6:44:09 PM PDT
Replace the floating mud with baby oil and I'll watch too!

Posted on Oct 31, 2011, 5:01:16 PM PDT
we need a new star trek series

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 1:44:12 PM PDT
getalife says:
Naked women wrestling in floating mud and baby oil! Yes! Yes! PLEASE! It's what made this country great.

Just WHY is there wrestling on the sci-fi channel? You think the greys are behind it? Maybe the lizards?

Check out Fast and Furious 5 RC. From a law enforcement standpoint it's kinda silly. Dwayne Johnson shows up with more firepower than they had at the siege of Hue, but it has plenty of action.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011, 3:19:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2011, 3:20:22 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
"Naked women wrestling in floating mud and baby oil! Yes! Yes! PLEASE! It's what made this country great. "

Combine this with the request for a new Star Trek series and you've got the pilot for "Star Trek: Holodeck Adventures by Wesley Crusher".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011, 4:55:42 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Will do, getalife. I've seen it in Blockbusters recently...)

Posted on Nov 8, 2011, 3:36:03 PM PST
MK Hill says:
Network TV programming is in SUCK mode and has been there for years. I think most of it has to do with the mindset of the population which reflects what is on TV.
Following that logic one could say 'America is currently in SUCK mode'. I guess TV is going further downhill for some years.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011, 5:27:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011, 8:32:40 AM PST
I think 'originality' is what is in SUCK mode. Schools are emphasizing Math and English just to get good scores on tests. So History, Civics, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, even Science are given short shift.

Plus there's a hacker-mindset today, that even if you know something is wrong/illegal, "Give it a shot. At worst you pay a little fine." A highly toted spy novel just out was proven to be nothing more than a massive cut-and-paste job from previous spy novels. ("Assassin of Secrets")

Plus, Hollywood is run by cowards, when it comes to Science Fiction. Be safe with a prequel or sequel. Or safer yet to make six cheap-and-lame romantic comedies or buddy movies, than spend the same amount of money on a good Sci Fi movie that will reap billions worldwide.

I only get interested if I see one of Hollywood's Sci Fi "Masters" involved: Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Bay, James Cameron, Roland Emmerich ... (Lucas too, but he's not active in Hollywood much anymore.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011, 5:30:15 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"So History, Civics, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, even Science are given short shift."

So what were they emphasizing instead of those subjects when you were in school?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011, 11:24:12 AM PST
EdM says:
IMO, cable TV is in much the same mode as network TV, except that you get to pay your cable bill every month. It is only with some of the premium content that there are a number of choices in programs with high quality, such as on HBO, e.g.

At least with OTA, antenna based HDTV programming, you don't have to pay for the "privilege". Having just dumped my cable, I'm laughing all the way to the bank. IF enough people refuse to pay for dreck, that would make a difference. OTOH, I'm not holding my breath. BUT, I am stocking up on Blu-ray programming, so as to be able to enjoy the good stuff. [Well, I enjoy SF books also, but ghost hunting "reality" shows on Syfy channel is one driver for my dumping cable.]

Posted on Nov 9, 2011, 2:47:33 PM PST
I spend most of my viewing time on Cable, especially History Channel and Travel Channel. The amount of commercials makes me crazy! I swear, it's like you watch five minutes of the show, then five minutes of commercials.

It's gotten to the point that if my husband and I get involved in a good Sci Fi movie on cable, and the commercials are cutting it to pieces, we pull out the DVD of that movie (if we have it) and watch it on DVD!

P.S.
If you are putting off getting DVDs of your favorite movies, I suggest you get them quick before they become unavailable. Hollywood is seeing a serious slide in DVD sales, and is gearing up to switch over to stream new movies directly to you thru cable.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011, 5:18:50 PM PST
getalife says:
only one thing can save science fiction. more nude women.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011, 5:38:57 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
The high point of science fiction this century has been the final episode of Battlestar Galactica's first season, and the ship full of nekkid Boomers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011, 5:54:12 PM PST
getalife says:
don't know who the asian girl was, but she was pretty hot too!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
13 May 9, 2016
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 203 4 days ago
SF is mostly slug-it-out: just HIGH-TECH CAVEMAN 10 5 days ago
Noticed a price drop on these books... 131 8 days ago
It's June 2017. What sci-fi books are you reading? 12 24 days ago
Need help--I'm getting old! 2 Jun 12, 2017
lighthearted sci-fi without major character deaths or angst 73 Jun 9, 2017
It's May 2017. What sci-fi books are you reading? 8 May 23, 2017
Hard SF Novels With Strong Characterization 262 May 3, 2017
How To Rule The Universe And Punish Evil PDF Article 1 May 2, 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  289
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers