Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Sci Fi series - TV, BSG, Torchwood, Others

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 209 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 15, 2012, 12:44:06 AM PDT
Watched Outcasts, because of you all. Got to be very good. Beginning was pretty bad. Now we will never find out what happens when the other ship lands.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012, 2:41:37 AM PDT
DFWTexan42 says:
DVD region codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_regions
NTSC/PAL/SECAM is an whole other can of worms.

Blu-ray region codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Region_Code#Region_codes
Fortunately, HDTVs worldwide seem to have similar display standards.
Your reply to DFWTexan42's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012, 9:10:50 AM PDT
Yes, wouldn't it be nice for bonus features on a canceled series if the producers/director/writer or someone would talk a bit about where they were heading with the series, perhaps tell about the first story arc, and what they had planned down the road with the series?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012, 9:17:31 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
With DA if you wiki it, it tells you what the writers had planned for the story. A great series cut too short.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012, 10:20:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012, 10:23:17 PM PDT
Walking Dead, we should discuss it, here.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012, 10:14:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012, 11:32:16 AM PDT
Really enjoying Falling Skies. Love the way the Aliens look and move.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012, 7:06:19 PM PDT
And there's these:

Skin Game (Dark Angel)
Before the Dawn (Dark Angel)
After the Dark (Dark Angel, Book 3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2012, 6:18:21 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Falling Skies again tonight. Be there.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012, 12:10:23 PM PDT
D. Pettiner says:
I watched about 4 episodes of Falling Skies in the 1st season and gave up. I can't name the book series it seems to be based on, but the adaptation to TV stinks.

I never see mention of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Some episodes were a bit tedious, but overall I think it was one of the better SF TV series (and would love to see it in syndication). And no, I am not discounting the Star Gate series. The original was best, but they were all OK.

Somewhere, I seem to have missed the Outcasts. I like Lost Girl. If you want some fantasy, try Once Upon A Time. Imaginative, but (like most major network series) taking W A Y T O O L O N G to get the the real payoff. The Brits have the right idea with a show going 2-4 seasons and ending.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012, 12:30:47 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Never liked Deep Space 9 but not much else to watch when it was shown.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012, 1:19:59 PM PDT
Donna says:
I like the way the Brits do it too. They make a story and it goes a few episodes and EACH episode actually furthers the story.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012, 5:01:12 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
Anyone remember the original Prisoner with PatrickMcGoohan? Great show and still my personal favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012, 6:47:03 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Prisoner was an outstanding series. At the end of each episode he still was imprisoned. That would be an excellent series to show on Syfy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012, 6:54:20 AM PDT
D. Pettiner says:
Someone (don't recall who) tried to redo this show 2-3 yrs ago. It wasn't that bad, but I don't remember it making it to a 2nd season.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012, 11:56:53 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Patrick McGoohan was perfect in the role. I think the guy passed away if I am not mistaken. I haven't seen the series in years and I wonder if it is available.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012, 9:53:56 PM PDT
Its not based off a book series.... I think you are thinking about something else.

These days its rare (for me anyway) to find something fresh and original.

Have you watched Babylon 5?

Posted on Jun 30, 2012, 8:11:02 AM PDT
Babylon was good. Fun.
Saw Survivors. Interesting enough to watch, but am I the only one who finds Abby, annoying?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012, 2:02:30 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If you want fresh and original real Neal Asher because his SF is quite good. Start with the Skinner, finish the series and get into the Polity series. You will enjoy it. Better than Reynolds and most writers out there today.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012, 8:54:34 AM PDT
Any sci-fi books/series/movies dealing a little with politics?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 1:21:51 PM PDT
Donna says:
Battlestar Galactica 2004-2009.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012, 3:57:57 PM PDT
Other than that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 4:04:08 PM PDT
R.A. Mathis says:
I just bought a Neal Asher short story collection at a discount store for $1.25. It's finally at the top of my reading queue. Your recommendation makes me look forward to getting started. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 4:08:32 PM PDT
R.A. Mathis says:
Not sure if it's technically sci-fi, but 'Jericho' is a great series & the whole thing is on Netflix. We found it last year and watched the entire series in a few weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 5:15:14 PM PDT
Donna says:
Loved Jericho. Sure, it's post apocalyptic about a possible future so I would call it scifi.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012, 5:38:46 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Pick up the Skinner and read the many comments on it. Then go to his polity series. The Polity series goes in order so you need to read the beginning ones to understand the world of Polity. The guys imagination is without equal and one of the best new sci fi authors in decades. Humanity run by computer god like benevolent minds that help mankind when humanity expands into other alien civilizations. Ancient aliens hidden in DNA benign until contact with intelligent races, battlebot subminds with personalities, human and computer star captains, viruses that make people immortal, alive dead people, instant runcible transport to out worlds are only some of his ideas and I haven't even scratched the surface. Definitely a worthwhile read.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
13 May 9, 2016
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
190 Jul 2, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
31 Sep 3, 2015
Need help with a post apocalyptic style movie title 1 20 hours ago
Noticed a price drop on these books... 133 3 days ago
How about LitRPG (MMO-based virtual reality books)? 203 9 days ago
SF is mostly slug-it-out: just HIGH-TECH CAVEMAN 10 10 days ago
It's June 2017. What sci-fi books are you reading? 12 Jun 28, 2017
Need help--I'm getting old! 2 Jun 12, 2017
lighthearted sci-fi without major character deaths or angst 73 Jun 9, 2017
It's May 2017. What sci-fi books are you reading? 8 May 23, 2017
Hard SF Novels With Strong Characterization 262 May 3, 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  209
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 18, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers