Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen
Customer Discussions > Science forum

Eight Easy Questions:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2012, 10:56:34 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
These questions concern social science and destructive addictive behavior:

(1) Is it true that addictions are caused by sudden and intense feelings of pleasure?

(2) Is it also true that addictions can become so intense that they obscure rational thought?

(3) Is it also true that addicts will do almost anything to get their rush of pleasure - oftentimes even if it is followed by pain for themselves or others?

(4) Does making a large amount of money cause intense pleasure?

(5) Discovering that money is most easily made by controlling the seats of power, does power also create the addictive pleasure rush?

(6) Does addictive traits usually cause harm or do they make human life better?

(7) Are these questions of any importance to the survival of mankind?

A replay isn't necessary. Just think carefully:"

Ask: (8) What is that persons addiction?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 6:06:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012, 6:07:30 AM PDT
noman says:
RE: "(1) Is it true that addictions are caused by sudden and intense feelings of pleasure? "

**How are you defining and measuring "additions" and "pleasure"?

RE: "(2) Is it also true that addictions can become so intense that they obscure rational thought?"

**As above...what is your metric? What is "rational" and how are you determining if and by how much it's being obscured?

RE: "(3) Is it also true that addicts will do almost anything to get their rush of pleasure - oftentimes even if it is followed by pain for themselves or others?"

**Vague and ill defined.

RE: "(4) Does making a large amount of money cause intense pleasure?"

**What is a "large amount" of money? Does stock/commodities trading count? What about barter? Is this different from currency? Are there regional differences?

RE:"(5) Discovering that money is most easily made by controlling the seats of power, does power also create the addictive pleasure rush?"

**Evidence for this *Discovery*? And what are "seats of power"? Are they universal? Are there one or multiple means of "controlling"?

RE: "(6) Does addictive traits usually cause harm or do they make human life better?"

**What do you meant by "harm" and "better"? And, how do you measure them?

RE: "(7) Are these questions of any importance to the survival of mankind?"

**As asked they are utterly meaningless. So, no importance. And what do you mean by "survival" and "mankind"? Biological Survival? Cultural? Financial?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012, 6:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012, 6:53:03 AM PDT
Let's kill this silliness right at step 1
"Ahem , is it true that addictions are caused by sudden and intense feelings of pleasure"

Let's take coffee. Very addicitve.
But "intense feelings of pleasure"? From a cup of coffee? Isnt that kind of silly?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 7:54:30 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to norman:

Dear Sir:

Thank you for responding.

With limited space and limited time, I have tried to ask questions that might lead to understanding the principals of addiction and the often negative results of this inherited trait. I agree that each question needs further study. That's why my words are stated as questions. Technological science has far surpassed the social sciences. If this trend continues mankind may suffer reversals.

I'm not a social scientist, I'm just asking questions. I apologize if my questions offend you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 8:10:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012, 8:12:35 PM PDT
noman says:
RE:"I'm not a social scientist, I'm just asking questions. I apologize if my questions offend you."

**I'm not offended. But if you're going to ask questions in the *science* forum then be prepared for sciencey answers (or more questions).

EDIT: And...even if I *were* offended,that would be my problem, not yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 8:21:41 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to Christopher Haynes:

Dear Sir,

I drink coffee. Coffee is a stimulant. It helps me get myself together in the mornings. I'm not pointing a finger of blame against anyone. While I'm not addicted to harmful substances, I do have my addictions. I'm only pointing out that a normal inherited trait could set mankind back or could reduce human progress.

I cannot offer a remedy that will satisfy most people. While I am most certainly against criminalizing addictions, my questions are only meant to awaken realities about human motivations. And this only with a goal of benefiting. I understand that prior events cause all present and future events.

This is very important to me: I believe that all truthful and meaningful understanding comes through empathy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 8:27:46 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to norman:

Thank you Norman. We agree with each other so far. But I'm still curious, and my questions do reflect this curiosity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012, 9:54:35 PM PDT
noman says:
<sigh>No-Man...Noman. Odyssey,book 9

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012, 7:32:43 PM PDT
Bill McLean says:
Reply to noman:

Sorry that you have abandoned reasoning, but you're not alone. My eight questions were to help lead to a better understanding of the human self serving logic. This logic causes so much suffering. While I see that it is not likely for mankind to persist if they keep on this path, I really don't know how to cause people to rise above it.

People will only do what is profitable on a short term basis. Be among those smarties if that pleases you. I'm old. This is not a problem for me, nor is it a problem for you. It's a problem for your children and for your grandchildren. It's a problem for future humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012, 5:39:14 AM PDT
Norman (sic): Are you beginning to feel *someone* ? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012, 5:42:44 AM PDT
Neither your being old nor the answers to any of your questions will be a problem for me, my children or grandchildren, let alone humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012, 7:27:50 AM PDT
noman says:
Original Post from noman:
"<sigh>No-Man...Noman. Odyssey,book 9"

RE: "Chameleon says:
Reply to noman:

Sorry that you have abandoned reasoning,..."

**What does the fact you misread my screen name (not uncommon)have to do with "reasoning"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 8:38:28 PM PST
Bill McLean says:
Posted on Oct 28, 2012 6:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 6:53:03 AM PDT
Christopher Haynes:

I am not trying to prove that I have superior intellect. I do not.

I guess the level of addiction can vary from good feeling to GOD feeling. I never drank coffee until a few months ago. Alcohol has a stronger attraction for me. I have started this thread simply to reason out the truth. I, by myself, do not know absolute truth. I know love and I know hope. But what is truth?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012, 8:46:38 PM PST
Bill McLean says:
In reply to your post on Nov 3, 2012 5:42:44 AM PDT
Philip Duerdoth

In response, Phillip, I suggest that you loan your keyboard to one of your little children so that he/she may answer these questions that have been agonizing mankind for centuries.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Zero waste amazon 3 8 hours ago
there are only 2 genders 14 8 hours ago
Scientist: Trump is Exposing Global Warming as a Made Up Claim. What is Your Response? 1257 12 hours ago
If you buy a Refurbished electronics item should you be required to be informed what was done to Refurbished it, IF anything? 9 14 hours ago
Folks in the USA will remain coastal, no matter what it costs others! 0 17 hours ago
Archaeology Plus Other Fohrbidden Sciences. 2265 1 day ago
She went to the hospital, and they sent her home! 9 1 day ago
Bill Nye is a fraud 4 2 days ago
Global warming is the most serious problem of our generation, part 4 (reboot) 9666 6 days ago
Right, got to get to Mars! More waste of taxpayer monies. 32 8 days ago
Medical studies are almost always bogus 11 8 days ago
The Missing Links 0 10 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.