Lyft Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Science forum

Global warming is nothing but a hoax and a scare tactic

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 10:37:19 PM PST
A customer says:
Don Johnson - "Liberalism is becoming a mental disorder!"

Well done, Johnson. A link about the unemployed will convince everyone that your agenda is scientific rather than ideological, no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 10:46:37 PM PST
A customer says:
Mark Leberer - "Based on projections and estimates from Steve ferris. Steve Farris is the CEO of oil and gas producing giant Apache."

Based on projections and estimates of the CEO of Microsoft, Visual Basic was the best way to build applications and Windows Vista was a viable operating system. It's called talking one's shares up.

"Ok.. even if it is not 300, you might at least agree that the DOE says there should be 80 years given known reserves of Natural Gas"

Based on what consumption projections and other assumptions? Is this 80 years of current use? 80 years at the current energy consumption rates covered by coal? 80 years if we just leave it to leak out of the ground naturally?

Details, details...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012, 10:49:47 PM PST
A customer says:
Smallcat - "I did not say how much evidence."

You said "lacks". Which at least has the merit of being clear enough to be wrong.

"Science updates all the time. I don't know why people try to have conversations on a store forum. "

Because no-one will publish the deniers' ravings. And because they come here instead and someone has to make fun of them in case the unwary think they know what they are talking about.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012, 11:30:23 PM PST
A customer says:
Report: The NCSE is apparently now offering science teachers advice on confronting AW-Denial as well as creationism:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jan/13/teachers-support-climate-change-lessons%20in%20schools

Posted on Feb 21, 2012, 12:25:00 AM PST
A customer says:
This is distinctly weird: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/20/drought-declared-south-east-england

"Drought declared in south-east England

"Drought status confirmed by Defra at summit of water firms, farmers and wildlife groups"

I don't think this has happened so early during my lifetime. Don't know how it fits in, though.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012, 12:36:54 AM PST
A customer says:
Interesting in light of the last few weeks' ravings: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/20/drought-summit-winter-caroline-spelman?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

"Incredulity at the prospect of a severe drought comes from a classic example of misperception: against all our instincts, river levels across many parts of the south are way, way below normal. So: it's raining outside yet they say there is a drought? It's snowing outside - ah, so this is global warming, is it? The latter was frequently heard in late 2010, when for several weeks parts of England and Wales were seeing overnight minimums of -10C or colder and snow blanketed the ground. Instinct and perception do not tend to go beyond the range of one's senses. But again, the data was telling the real story. On 28 November 2010, 0600 GMT temperatures in parts of Wales had fallen to a record-breaking -18C, but at the same time, at Kangerlussuaq, inside the Arctic circle in western Greenland, the minimum was +9C, a remarkable 27C warmer.

"This tendency to focus on the here and now is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome in the whole climate change debate. If you live on the slopes of a volcano that suddenly starts erupting, perception and instinct have you running for your life. Conversely, problems in the natural world that take a long time to develop - drought and climate change included - are not in the here and now but in the there and then, a place where perception and instinct, it seems, offer little in the way of helpful guidance."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 12:59:02 AM PST
TPW: <<Well, Joshua, you had the 3 decades of "warming" over in 2005. The latest natural warming cycle started around 1975.
And what happened? A cooling trend as Spencer's UAH data clearly shows. The IPCC Third Assessment nonsense went right out the window.>>

"A cooling trend since 2005 as Spencer's data clearly shows"? Are you a parody of yourself; or are you one of the many impersonators of TruthSeeker that isn't Tea Party Woman? The UAH data set show warming for the period 2005-present:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/uah/from:2005/plot/uah/from:2005/trend

Time and time again your statements turn out to be factually incorrect.

Now, what is your criterion for cherry picking just that period?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:05:36 AM PST
TeaPartyWoman: <<For example, yesterday, I tried to add some facts to the Wiki page on Climate change to provide a more balanced view to readers. ...>>

Anyone can post to wiki, but moderators hold additions to a set of standards. If the additions are not to standard they can be deleted. Wiki is, thus, like virtually every published source, under some kind of editorial control. Your post wasn't factual, wasn't current or correct and wasn't submitted or discussed properly according to wiki's published guidelines. Then, rather than debate via the proper channels you commenced an edit war and continued after your first warning and first block. Now you call their reasonable response to your bull in the china shop behavior as "censorship"? You come off looking like a lunatic.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:12:11 AM PST
TPW: <<It looks like TreeHugger has changed his name to TruthSeeker.>>

Clearly false. TreeHugger posts in his own handle in the post immediate prior to yours.

TPW: <<And he is breaking Amazon rules by pretending to be, and misrepresenting me.>>

The laughable and Orwellian height of hypocrisy. You do realize that we ALL know you are Tea Party Woman and that you are impersonating TruthSeeker to harass him. That you claim others are impersonating you - when you are the original masquerader is bizarre. That you take umbridge appears disturbed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:21:12 AM PST
A customer says:
Joshua G. Feldman - "You come off looking like a lunatic. "

What do you mean, "looking like"?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:22:19 AM PST
A customer says:
Joshua G. Feldman - "That you take umbridge appears disturbed. "

Nice place, lovely pubs. Not far from Umbrage, I believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:28:07 AM PST
Tea Party Woman: <<There is a thaw in europe right now after a month of polar deep freeze.>>

This is true - but this was apparently the result of a displacement of Arctic air. Temperatures in the Arctic over this period were abnormally high and Arctic sea ice extent growth stalled. Now that the cold snap ended we have seen Arctic temperatures return to closer to normal (but still higher than normal) according to the DMI. Do you think the Danish scientists are lying too?

You point out that almost half the Earth experienced unusual cold. Do you understand that if almost half the Earth was at the same time experiencing concomitant unusual warmth you end up with a wash when you produce a global average? Do you understand the concept?

Last time you just called the DMI liars and rejected the DMI Arctic temperature data set as wrong based on two isolated non-contemporary weather reports from Sweden and Alaska.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:40:15 AM PST
EB: <<Nice place, lovely pubs. Not far from Umbrage, I believe.>>

A typo, or was I just thinking of Delores, from the Ministry of Magic? Perhaps I was just tipsy. I certainly have had a few:

http://cooperedtot.blogspot.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 1:51:31 AM PST
A customer says:
You're driving me nuts with those links. (Well, more nuts.) I've been dry for seven years.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 2:15:59 AM PST
ML: you should admit the objective science that Natural Gas burns 'cleaner' than Gas and Oil and emits less CO2... as such you can choose to either fight it or embrace it...

BPL: It emits less CO2 per Joule than coal or oil, but it still emits CO2, and CO2 is still a problem. So I'll fight it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 6:19:25 AM PST
EB: <<I've been dry...>>

I'm so sorry. That will be my project next year, no doubt. I've already demonstrated that I have an addictive personality.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 6:21:57 AM PST
A customer says:
I compensate with posting.

Which should give you some idea of why I needed to stop.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 6:30:31 AM PST
TS: <<TS: LOL. You said the universe was trillions of years old, instead of billions (14.7 billion)
You would never admit you were wrong, and indeed tried to argue your way out of admitting it.

Now you seem confused the Earth is a lot younger than the universe.
AND, the sun is a lot younger than the universe too....
OOPS.>>

Joe: <<I guess that's why they're called climate clowns.>>

Joe is the only true climate "clown" around here. I can hear the hurdy-gurdy and the scoop-whistle every time he posts. Like a clown he always plays for laughs. In those few instances he tries to play it straight he steps on a banana peel or finds he shoelaces tied together and does a pratfall. What fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 6:57:56 AM PST
DonJuan says:
"A link about the unemployed will convince everyone that your agenda is scientific rather than ideological, no problem."

I predicted awhile back that liberalism was going to be redefined as a cognitive disability. I was kind of just joking at the time, but wouldn't you just know it? That's the way the cookie crumbles. What do you call it when ideology is based on cold hard facts?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 7:02:35 AM PST
A customer says:
DonJuan - "What do you call it when ideology is based on cold hard facts?"

"Fact". As opposed to "ideology".

Anyway, it's scientists, all of whom you believe are liberals, who both establish facts and define cognitive disabilities so just how are you planning to direct the agenda on the one while still pretending to believe the other?

And, of course, no-one has noticed that you are STILL trying to keep politics at the top of the thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 7:17:00 AM PST
Joe says:
Now you're a young earth guy? Liberals tend to always want it both ways...global cooling....no wait...global warming...no wait...just climate change. Oh how annoying to always be changing your clown make-up.

By the way, it's frosty here in N. CA. I guess this moring I'll just call it global cooling.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 8:06:03 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
And, as you lack any scientific credentials or credibility, everyone will continue to ignore your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 11:41:29 AM PST
Customer says:
The release of the heartland documents bear out what scientists have been needing to assert for years about the source of anti-science and denialism PR. Simply that the people pushing denialism are doing so for the money available. The fossil fuel industry and big religion.

Politicians are given the political cover to avoid climate legislation support or even study, and they can try to get re-elected under the guise of liberty and all that fear mongering about taxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 3:13:24 PM PST
Joe says:
Amusing. Everyone ignoring except you?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012, 4:43:57 PM PST
Joe: By the way, it's frosty here in N. CA. I guess this moring I'll just call it global cooling.

TS: Most people call it ... Winter.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Science forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Good to use, but would you be allowed to? Reflective Roof Coatings. 17 7 hours ago
Teacher Attacks Theory of Evolution 114 10 hours ago
Archaeology Plus Other Fohrbidden Sciences. 3082 12 hours ago
High cabin pressure can cause people to pass out? I don't think so. 2 1 day ago
Do homebuilders give buyers a false sense of security? 20 2 days ago
Expanding universe question. 41 3 days ago
This won't scare many away from going for it. Pro football. 19 4 days ago
Cassini Huygens mission ends tomorrow 2 5 days ago
The Science Behind Fetal Pain-related Abortion Legislation 1341 8 days ago
NASA Confirms Falling Sea Levels For Two Years Amidst Media Blackout 5 12 days ago
Chemistry question 34 16 days ago
Global warming is the most serious problem of our generation, part 4 (reboot) 9999 Aug 24, 2017

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  130
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers