Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Science forum

Lets get one thing straight. TIME.


Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-48 of 48 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 7:02:47 PM PDT
Re whomper, above: "there are no quarks" This would be a surprise to the physicists who have discovered all six flavors of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 7:56:29 PM PDT
reply to Robert A. Saunders's post:

bigger surprise to physicists who know they are a mirage
an artifact of the vibrations of the ten dimensional membrane that is our universe

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 8:20:57 PM PDT
whomper wrote:
"they are a mirage an artifact of the vibrations of the ten dimensional membrane that is our universe "
================================
Where is that fantastic universe you describing, whomper?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 10:35:28 PM PDT
reply to Mohamed F. El-Hewie's post:

if you knew 1% of what you claim
you would know that you are living in it right now
Mtheory has superceded strings that superceded quark model of it

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 10:52:02 PM PDT
Re whomper, above: If YOU knew 1% of what you claim, you would be aware that neither M-theory nor strings have actually superseded anything: neither of these can presently make testable predictions, and both are simply speculative. Thus, the quark model still reigns -- because it IS testable, and works.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 8:13:57 AM PDT
reply to Robert A. Saunders's post:

lots of models "work" if you limit where they can be used

m theory works in the largest number of contexts so far
and it includes quarks as a special case

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:21:43 AM PDT
arpard fazakas says: "Disagree that without material, there is no time either. One can postulate a 4-dimensional spacetime with nothing in it."

SD: "You cant postulate anything without a brain and last I heard they were made of matter." fail :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:31:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012, 10:31:51 AM PDT
Shakespeares Dog wrote:
"You cant postulate anything without a brain and last I heard they were made of matter."
=====================================================
That common sense isn't so common in physics, a field that attracts many delinquent psychos.

Neither space, nor time would exist without matter, which is another form of energy.

Mohamed F. El-Hewie

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 11:05:18 AM PDT
Neither space, nor time would exist without matter, which is another form of energy.

OK I'm good with that :)

However (not that one could be aware of it) if there was matter hypothetically and it existed (without an observer - run with it) and there was no state change in the universe it remained in a changeless state would time exist in the universe in question. ignore the fact it is a hypothetical construct embedded in a temporal hypothesis with an imaginary observer - do away with the observer.

There is no movement no quantum fluctuations no vibrating atoms or glued quarks no energy gradient, no spinning electrons of fleeting photons. Is there time ?

Time is a measure of duration and duration requires change you cant tell if time is passing if the hands are not moving (thoughts count as hands so we need a universe sans observers). and spacetime requires motion - an expanding universe - otherwise we have matter/energy but at a single point and points having 0 dimensions kind of exclude space.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 12:12:13 PM PDT
I believe in a physical reality independent of the brain.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 1:24:57 PM PDT
reply to Mohamed F. El-Hewie's post:

nonsense

time exists independently of everything
always has been
always will be
what you clocks do in this universe is irrelevant
the master clock always ticked, is ticking, and will keep on ticking

you need nothing else because time simply is and exists independently of everything

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 1:26:06 PM PDT
reply to Shakespeares Dog's post:

you can measure time various ways

but even if you dont
time exists and keeps on going independently of you and your models of the universe

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 1:41:22 PM PDT
Shakespeares Dog wrote:
"However (not that one could be aware of it) if there was matter hypothetically and it existed (without an observer - run with it) and there was no state change in the universe it remained in a changeless state would time exist in the universe in question. ignore the fact it is a hypothetical construct embedded in a temporal hypothesis with an imaginary observer - do away with the observer.

There is no movement no quantum fluctuations no vibrating atoms or glued quarks no energy gradient, no spinning electrons of fleeting photons. Is there time ?"
======================================
Time does not need an objective observer.
Your heart beats 75 times per minute whether you like it or not.
Atoms spin regularly whether there was energy change or not.
Planets revolve regularly for the same reason.
There is no universe where electrons do not spin.

Shakespeares Dog wrote:
"Time is a measure of duration and duration requires change you cant tell if time is passing if the hands are not moving (thoughts count as hands so we need a universe sans observers)."
==========================================
Time is not a measure of duration.
Duration is a measure of change in time.
Time grows with and without change, because time is absolute.
Relative time earned its relative identity by virtue of relative motion between two frames.
Relative time does not alter absolute time.

Shakespeares Dog wrote:
" and spacetime requires motion - an expanding universe - otherwise we have matter/energy but at a single point and points having 0 dimensions kind of exclude space. "
=================================
Space is defined by material content.
You cannot determine the space between the Earth and the Moon unless you have the Earth and the Moon.
You cannot determine the space of the Sun unless you have the matter of the Sun.

Without matter, there is no space.
Without matter, there is no time.
Without matter, there is no energy.
Without matter, there is no you or me.

Mohamed F. El-Hewie

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 1:50:04 PM PDT
reply to Mohamed F. El-Hewie's post:

nonsense

time *IS*
it exists independtly of everything else

you may not have a way to measure it
but it keeps on ticking at the master clock which is outside your tiny model of the universe

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 1:57:35 PM PDT
whomper wrote:

"nonsense
time *IS*
it exists independtly of everything else

you may not have a way to measure it
but it keeps on ticking at the master clock which is outside your tiny model of the universe "
==================================

I said the same thing you said,
but you do seem to read what I said.
..........................
BTW: whomper, who sells the 10 membranes you keep talking about?
==============================================
I am only interested in few, not all ten.

Mohamed F. El-Hewie

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 2:11:43 PM PDT
reply to Mohamed F. El-Hewie's post:

nobody sells the ten dimensional membrane of vibrating energy
is simply is here
and you exist because of it
so does the rest of the universe
and you get no choice
Your reply to the olde professor's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
 

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 9:06:29 PM PDT
Re whomper, 5-7 8:13 AM: "m theory works in the largest number of contexts so far and it includes quarks as a special case" No, it does not: there is at present no way to tell whether it works or not. Hence, at present, it is merely speculation. It has a mathematical structure which is compatible with observation, but that is its only positive feature -- and compatibility is not sufficient: verifiable predictions are required, and at present there aren't any.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:08:49 PM PDT
If you know what the nature of time is, you're wrong.

Posted on May 7, 2012, 10:22:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012, 10:34:28 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:24:26 PM PDT
tom kriske says:
yea, these guys are a laugh a minute!

Posted on May 7, 2012, 10:38:01 PM PDT
Eezeereader says:
I wonder why Amazon deleted my post? Very strange..

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012, 10:58:18 PM PDT
Re Eezeereader, above: The ways of Mamazon are at times inscrutable.

Posted on May 8, 2012, 9:34:34 AM PDT
Eezeereader says:
And I said something really nice! Hmmm, maybe it's Big Brothazon instead? ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in
 


Recent discussions in the Science forum

  Discussion Replies Latest Post
Ocean Floor Mapping 9 33 minutes ago
Archaeology Plus Other Fohrbidden Sciences. 2668 4 hours ago
This won't scare many away from going for it. Pro football. 0 6 hours ago
Michael ‘hockey stick’ Mann cuts and runs from Court. 14 21 hours ago
Real cost of Wind and Solar power generation to consider. 0 1 day ago
Global warming is the most serious problem of our generation, part 4 (reboot) 9869 2 days ago
Space 4 3 days ago
Can someone please explain in layman's terms how scientists know who's Jewish? 28 5 days ago
So what good is an electronic inside/outside thermometer if you can't calibrate it yourself! 4 8 days ago
Scientist: Trump is Exposing Global Warming as a Made Up Claim. What is Your Response? 1373 8 days ago
Theranos Inc., next phase. 26 12 days ago
Science in Harmony with God 9467 13 days ago
 

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2012
Latest post:  May 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers