Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Self-help forum

should marijuana be legalized

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 146 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2008, 2:04:20 PM PDT
T. Thatch says:
Marijuana is an illegal drug.should it be legalized? what are the pros and cons?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2008, 4:17:47 PM PDT
Katie says:
I kind of view marijuana as being on the same level as alcohol.
Not that I am involved with it, but I see it as harmless unless abused or used while doing something such as driving.
I feel like it would be fine it it were treated the same way as alcohol is.

Legal under certain circumstances and with restrictions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008, 4:49:42 AM PDT
Carl Vagg says:
firstly, legalise means that phillip morris woiuld make and market cannabis cigarettes..
the rational response to todays understandings as to what cannabis is and is not,
which forms the basis for the existing - well outdated - cannabis laws, is for
de-criminalisation of cannabis . .

as a past genuine therapeutic [epilepsy] and also casual social user of cannabis
it is my understanding that serious organisations worldwide are tending towards
decrimininalisation, but not, to making cannabis a legal product, like food or
cigarettes or alcohol . .

if cannabis was made legal, then cigarette companies and others would be able to
force countries to import the legal cannabis cigarettes, just like they do with cigarettes
under free trade agreements and other similar processes . .

there need to be certain regulations and restrictions on importation/exportation and
mass sale of this as any other product for which there is a sustainable market . .

the existing laws based on narcotics conventions created early last century to stop
or control the then opium trade, within which cannabis was - erroneously - included
based on layman assumptions relating hashish with opium smoking, are simply wrong . .

while cannabis is basically a 'let you do it' rather than a 'make you do it' drug
and its effects are influenced by many factors, including learning to use it
in the sense of allowing your brain to function certain ways, or 'helping'
the brain to function in certain ways, it can be and is nevertheless open to
abuse, and should not be used while driving and so on . .
thus while a cannabis user should not be made a criminal for using cannabis
after all we, society allow people to consume alcohol, including driving
with prescribed amounts in their blood, there are certain things
which should be taken into consideration when societies come to
allowing its use, as has already happened in various unrelated
countries, states and cities around the world . .

these are basically education based and regulatory, such as driving,
supply to minors, polluting public airspaces with smoke and so on . .

cannabis is a blackmarket product, thus highly priced, thus attractive to
anyone who understands the big picture and how to make millions from it . .
including criminals and non-criminals . .

politicians can earn votes from frightened ignorant voters by being 'tough on drugs'
which translates too often in catching ordinary nobodies using cannabis . . easy . .

there is a market for it, thus money to be made, globally . . and laundered thru it . .

thus the answer, isnt simply one of recognising a wrong and incorrect classification of
cannabis as a narcotic, which it is not, and correcting/updating that wrong law . .

what is happening in the corrupted societies where experts are warning that the courts
and prison systems are being clogged with non criminal citizens being processed as criminals
ulitmately creating criminals, and a massive unsustainable cost to society to process them
and maintain prisons for them, is to make an arbitrary limit to the amount of the drug
one may have in ones possesion, while still maintaining the wrong criminal law . .

cannabis has been known since ancient times to be a real genuine therapeutic substance,
in the same way that ascorbic acid [asprin] was known to the egyptians [in willow bark]
and has since been confirmed by modern science . .

for starters, cannabis can work against migrain headaches and symptoms related to pmt
ie, of benefit to over half the global population . . it can be used to prevent blindness
in degenerative glaucoma . . for me, as, then, suffering from grand mal epilepsy
caused by a road smash, it was reading the first research stating that cannabis
"reduces the incidence of seizures" [!] which virtually changed my world . .

after researching cannabis I started using it regularly, and especially when a 'headache'
came on [not your normal headache] indicating a possible seizure event, and progressively
reduced seizures until seizure free . . for over 15 yrs I have had my driving license back,
and have been seizure free . .

this is fact, truth, and reality, and has nothing to do with accident or wishful thinking . .

today i rarely use cannabis, perhaps at christmas with my nephews, and occasionally . .
i dont and have not had cravings for it . . i know what cravings are having quit smoking
as a young man after ten years addicted to nicotine . .

without wishing to encourage folk to use cannabis, especially not smoking it, the fact is
that a normal healthy person without predispositions to mental health is far better off
using cannabis than for example drinking alcohol to excess . .
incidentally, the typical cannabis user simply does not know what correct doses are,
and typically overdose . .
thus the overdosers are registered in the research as 'normal use' and seen by others
as obviously off their faces . .

to derive the potential benefits of cannabis, only a small dose is needed . .
just as a glass of red wine per day will have positive health benefits compared
to what is generally seen as 'normal' drinking . .

especially today with blackmarket hydroponic high thc level cannabis . .

when was the last time you saw a govt ad or any educationaly advice on doseage ?

if you must smoke cannabis, do it thru a water pipe, which traps water soluble carcinogens
in the smoke, and use only small amounts, or if you prefer more, divide it into small doses
which will allow you to gain potential benefits without overdosing . .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008, 6:40:31 AM PDT
Valentine says:
I heard that marijuana was legal until sometime in the 1940's. What happened? I suspect it was something political, someone had something to gain by making marijuana illegal.

When I drink alcolhol, now that I am older, it takes longer to metabolize. That means that the few glasses of wine I have at a wedding really don't kick in until I'm back home, in bed. So much like the college students, I have to pre-party in order to have a buzz at a party. Marijuana would be a much easier way to get the direct benefits without the added calories!

So many people in all walks of life use marijuana regularly, to either relax or socially. I know or have heard of lawyers, doctors, professors, etc that indulge. I think it should be legalized. The quality would be controlled and users would know what they are using. Tax the hell out of it, like alcohol and cigarettes. And give it a try!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008, 8:45:27 AM PDT
Marijuana is in fact not an illegal drug instead we have an illegal government not following the constitution of this country. The Bill of Rights allows for Freedom of Religion. Included in just my opinion should be freedom of medicine. Cannabis is a medicine for many people and has been used as such for many centuries. I have a broken neck and bipolar disorder. The State of Washington allows me to use cannabis for my pain as well as for a mood stabolizer. The Federal Government has gotten so out of reach with reality that it classifies Cannabis as a schedule 1 narcotic meaning it has no medical use. I would also mention that this government makes it illegal for me to be the Rastaman I Am and doesn't allow for religious use either. Subsequently, the Federal Government is nothing short of Criminals for not allowing for religious and medical freedoms when it involves herbal use. At the same time certain cults are allowed by the Supreme Court to use mescaline for religious ceremonies yet it won't allow a Rastaman to smoke peace pipe with his friends or just for meditation. Personally I think God will destroy this government because we ignore the signs of the times. There is nothing wrong with the plants that God created. However, there must be a political revolution in this country where people finally give up the fear of speaking out against the world wide attrocities committed by our government in the name of wars against plants and herbs. God's creation should be available to all who are upon this planet. This government is attempting to take away a plant created by God which is completely different than controlling and criminalizing processed chemical drugs. Cannabis is used in its most natural form most of the time and is simply good. All should open their eyes so they are not guilty in the eyes of Jahova as we either see this government suffer on through God's wrath or repent if it will to the evil being done to its citizens.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008, 2:17:18 PM PDT
Frostbite says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008, 7:46:41 PM PDT
Mother Una says:
Should it be legalised?

YES

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008, 7:52:14 PM PDT
Mother Una says:
I've been out of the US for more than 3 years, living on a mountaintop part of a rainforest with an incredible group of First Peoples. I am stunned that you, a Rastafarian, are not allowed your sacred smoke.

I wonder, during Prohibition, did the liturgical churches NOT have wine?

The US has never been the great nation it/we so often proclaim, but the last 8 years have been so scary that I'm not sure it can EVER be undone.

Shall we all seek asylum in the Netherlands? Too bad, one has to wait YEARS for housing, at least in Amsterdam? I don't know about the rest of Holland.

mangomamma

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008, 7:56:10 PM PDT
Mother Una says:
I have a chronic illness. When I lived on the W Coast and had access to medical mj, my quality of life was sooo improved. My pain was gone or nearly gone; I could sleep which meant I could function during the day--work, study, write, run, hike and other sports; and I had energy for a libido.

Now, I am bascially a slug and no fun.

m2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008, 10:18:11 PM PDT
...Then God said, "let the earth bring forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with its seed in it. And so it happened: the earth brought forth every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with it seed in it. God saw how good it was.... God also said "See, I give you every seed bearing plant all over the earth and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2008, 1:09:33 AM PDT
Marijuana will never be legalized for the simple fact that it is impossible for the government to regulate.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008, 1:39:36 PM PDT
RichieV says:
Right now the money from the sale of drugs goes into the hands on Gangs....they then use this money to buy their guns...they have to protect their territory so they go around shooting other gangs....

If you legalize it there will still be a drug problem in America...but.... you will be taking millions of dollars out of the hands of gangs....you could also put a sin tax on it a set up rehab centers for those hooked on harder drugs, the ones that are so addictive that we couldn't legalize them.

Take one step back to go two steps forward.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008, 10:17:03 PM PDT
happytobeme says:
Absolutely!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008, 10:44:36 PM PDT
Kate K says:
Compare it with alchohol, where it is possible to have a few beers and get no more than a small buzz if anything at all. If it were possible to just smoke a little pot and not get completely stoned out of your mind yes, maybe I'd agree to legalize it for recreational use, but that's really not possible. Back in the day, if I took 2 hits off a bong or joint I was completely out of it.
Now that I'm sober (yes, pot is addicting, don't deny it) I'm a complete idiot who can't finish a sentence when I'm talking without stuttering or pausing to think for 15 seconds. Google the links between pot smoking and psychosis.. its not cool.

Pot use for medical purposes is another story and I'm not going there.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008, 11:02:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2008, 11:03:21 PM PDT
happytobeme says:
L.Keonig,

Alchohol is legal and it is not possible for some people to just drink a few drinks and not get plastered out of their minds. Back in the day I used to drink just a few drinks and be completely out of it. Black outs? Millions killed by drunk drivers? Liver failure!!!!!! Why compare the two? Alcohol kills millions and pot is illegal. So what is your point?

Psychosis is all around us not just the pot smokers get this.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2008, 11:38:07 PM PDT
M. Nguyen says:
http://www.onemanga.com/Yakitate_Japan/114/01/

to go to next page, click on the panel

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 2:18:29 AM PDT
LF says:
It is a crime against humanity if some kid goes to prison for smoking marijuana. May as well wreck his life for masturbating or smoking a Marlboro.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 12:19:27 PM PDT
Frostbite says:
Maybe their parents should educate them better, then. Or better yet, just not do it, since ya know, it's illegal and all. Doesn't matter if it SHOULD be legal or not, just don't do crap you know is illegal unless you're ready to accept the consequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 1:31:19 PM PDT
I am able to get medical cannabis through Spocannabis.com . There is a telephone number to make an appointment with a physician. 1-800-723-0188 . If a perspective patient has a qualifying medical condition and is proved and documented with medical records then there is a good possibilty in getting medical approval. The only hitch is that the qualifying patient has to reside in a state that has medical marijuana like Washington State where I reside. I went to a Spocannabis.com Club Meeting last Saturday and was greeted with marijuana brownies and cookies rendering only my Spocannabis Member identification with a copy of my medical authorization on the back. I then took a number to be called later on during the meeting where I would have the oppertunity to buy medical marijuana. It was a good time. I felt free in this land where freedom is so carefully guarded. I feel like there is a hope for this nation to stand grand in the eyes of Jahova. I wish for peace before this nation reeps more wrath from God because it denies the world the sacred sacrament of "The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" or cannabis which is the latin term for marijuana.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008, 3:17:07 PM PDT
Shawn Clark says:
umm there has NEVER been a case of cannabis overdose. EVER, the ammout needed to OD is so large its probably never going to happen, the study which was done in europe said it was over 100 pounds in a few hours, yeah 100 pounds, by the time you got even into the second pound it would have been so long since you started its effects would have already started to wear off. alcohol is a much more dangerous drug because when people get really drunk they overestimate what they can do, when your "high" you underestimate it. perfect example is driving, when people are high they drive slower and more carefully to compensate for the weed, when your drunk you drive faster... its been proven in many studys done in europe for some odd reason the US doesn't want to do very much research on the subject... hmm wonder why... when was the last time you heard of alcohol causing a fight, and when was the last time you heard of 2 people who were stoned getting in a fight it just doesn't happen. when your high you dont want to do anything but "chill" and be high. when your drunk chilling is the last thing people seem to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008, 1:29:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 11:22:56 AM PDT
i agree;legalize it for medical purposes....thank you, painter44

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 11:24:56 AM PDT
slow down, dude!! too much pot??joking...painter44

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2008, 11:26:23 AM PDT
extremely well put!! painter44

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008, 2:56:52 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Self-help forum (422 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Self-help forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  146
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers